Panthers not picking up Sam's option ... yet.

20 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Upvote for Provence. You’ve got good taste in wine from your post history.

I am drinking home made pear/raspberry wine from the pears and raspberries from my back yard.  This batch turned out really well.  I get better at wine from scratch each time I make it.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am drinking home made pear/raspberry wine from the pears and raspberries from my back yard.  This batch turned out really well.  I get better at wine from scratch each time I make it.

Pour me a glass. Make it double when we draft defense at 23. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've thought about it, only  problem is that as I've gotten older I get gout attacks thus booze in general is not something I have often.  Beer is right out, hard liquor probably no as well.

Ouch I was getting it awhile ago @munchmemory suggested cherry pills I bought 1200 mg cherry tart extract pills at Bed Bath and Beyond they work wonders. 

I thought mine was from shellfish but I think it was Wegman's pasta sauce. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No big deal, smart Gming

Never make moves until you have to. 

If a guy you never expected to be there falls to you at 8 or if you trade back, guy falls to you later as unlikely as it may be you have not committed to anything. 

It also adds to the bluff of 'we are taking a QB' maybe

simply smart GMing

If he is so smart why did he trade for Sam!

Mike Drop.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ouch I was getting it awhile ago @munchmemory suggested cherry pills I bought 1200 mg cherry tart extract pills at Bed Bath and Beyond they work wonders. 

Fantastic news that the tart cherry extract is working for you.   Better than drinking the cherry juice which is almost all sugar.  Helped my Dad when he had gout outbreaks.   Nice when a natural therapy works.  Plus, the tart cherry is a natural antioxidant/inflammatory.  

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Fantastic news that the tart cherry extract is working for you.   Better than drinking the cherry juice which is almost all sugar.  Helped my Dad when he had gout outbreaks.   Nice when a natural therapy works.  Plus, the tart cherry is a natural antioxidant/inflammatory.  

Yes THANK  YOU

I need something more powerful for inflammation @BROOKLYN JET  was supposed to keep me posted on his magic stuff. 

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I am now on a medication called Allupropinol which has worked really well at stopping it along with some diet and of course drinking changes.  I have just started having a bit of wine now and then to test to see if I can enjoy a glass or two.  So far so good.  I essentially quit all alcohol for about a year and a half.  I don;t miss beer or the hard stuff that much but I do like wine and had gotten very good at making it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I am now on a medication called Allupropinol which has worked really well at stopping it along with some diet and of course drinking changes.  I have just started having a bit of wine now and then to test to see if I can enjoy a glass or two.  So far so good.  I essentially quit all alcohol for about a year and a half.  I don;t miss beer or the hard stuff that much but I do like win and had gotten very good at making it.

Im good with the gout right now. (I hope I don't jinx myself)  

I have really bad inflammation in my hip bursa sac area @The Crusher recommendations on stretching have worked out well enough for me to get back to playing competitve softball onl y 1 night a week though. 

I have cut back my beer drinking by 50% and trying to lose some weight 10-15lbs would be nice. 

• Upvote 2

I think it makes sense not to pick up the option.  If he sucks, you have a cheap out - if you want to keep him, the franchise tag is only 6M more than the option.  Risk 6 to save 18 frankly, sounds smart.
No only that, but what kind of season would he have to have to turn down a 1yr/$18M offer straight up? They most likely could get bring him back for less, even if incentives bring it up to 18.

And if he has that type of season, something crazy like a deepnplayoff run or SB, you franchise him once and if he repeats you sign him long term.

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im good with the gout right now. (I hope I don't jinx myself)  

I have really bad inflammation in my hip bursa sac area @The Crusher recommendations on stretching have worked out well enough for me to get back to playing competitve softball onl y 1 night a week though. 

I have cut back my beer drinking by 50% and trying to lose some weight 10-15lbs would be nice. 

I ain’t say shit about cutting back beer!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am now on a medication called Allupropinol which has worked really well at stopping it along with some diet and of course drinking changes.  I have just started having a bit of wine now and then to test to see if I can enjoy a glass or two.  So far so good.  I essentially quit all alcohol for about a year and a half.  I don;t miss beer or the hard stuff that much but I do like wine and had gotten very good at making it.

Allopurinol had worked wonders for me. It’s been 20 years now and I can eat and drink whatever I want to. Good luck with your battle, gout sucks.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

They have until May 3. Why pick up the option now  when the Panthers can keep other teams guessing what they will do on the evening of April 29th? 

This.  It is smokescreen season.  If the Panthers can get someone thinking they might take a QB, someone else could trade up ahead of them and maybe the guy they want at 8 falls to them.

I would be surprised if Carolina does not pick up the option, considering what they gave up for Sam, but no reason to signal their intentions now when they still have 10 days to formalize the decision.

• Upvote 4

maybe the owner finally watch a whole game of sams and not the highlight reel and said, WTF where do you see the greatness in this guy? were not passing up a QB if one falls to 8th.

i think they think Fields might fall to them. and if he does they might be thinking the same thing we did, do we want sam to compete with a rookie QB. do we want a QB controversy. 

and i do not see them extending him no matter what. let him play for his job next year. if you extend him and he sucks you got the most expensive backup in the league BY FAR for 2022. most make around 2 mil, very few make around 8-9 mil. 

and you wont be able to trade him with. who wants a backup at 18 mil. if sam is bad with Carolina thats 2 teams, and 2 head coaches. sam will have loss any trade value as a starter. 

Smokescreen.

They want to trade back and they want the illusion that they'd take a QB at #8 which is likely about the spot where the last of the Top 5 QBs may go.  At the same time, why commit to anything when you don't know what will happen in the Draft?  What if somehow one or more QBs drops to 8?

But make no mistake, not having Darnold in a Panthers uniform for 2022, while the Jets use Carolina's 2nd and 4th round picks will be incredible egg on the face of that Carolina organization.  It would be like if Leo Williams had left the Giants this year and the Jets are using their 3rd round pick.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I think it makes sense not to pick up the option.  If he sucks, you have a cheap out - if you want to keep him, the franchise tag is only 6M more than the option.  Risk 6 to save 18 frankly, sounds smart.

the thought of Darnold being franchised by any team is hair raising.

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There is no reason not to wait until the deadline.

What if he were to get seriously injured tomorrow?

they were always going to wait for the deadline.  Whoever reported that Carolina was "definitely going to exercise the 5th yr option"  was jumping the gun.  Just another one of those dumb NFL reporter ASS-umptions

• Post of the Week 1

Why would anyone assume Rhule and Carolina have a clue when it comes to the QB position.   Paid TB a fortune and are going to shop him to downgrade to Sam unless a QB falls to them in which case they will have buyers remorse the 2nd time in 2 years.  

If Rhule was convinced Sam was the guy they should excersize the option and draft a position player or trade down.  If they weren't convinced Sam was the guy, they will convince Sam he isn't the guy.   

They have to pick up the option after announcing it.  Reneging now would really piss off the players and would be a sh*tty way to do business.

As others pointed out - draft smokescreen and protection in case Sam gets terminal herpes from some Jersey slut.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Why would anyone assume Rhule and Carolina have a clue when it comes to the QB position.   Paid TB a fortune and are going to shop him to downgrade to Sam unless a QB falls to them in which case they will have buyers remorse the 2nd time in 2 years.  

If Rhule was convinced Sam was the guy they should excersize the option and draft a position player or trade down.  If they weren't convinced Sam was the guy, they will convince Sam he isn't the guy.   

exactly. some people think Rhule and Brady are the next coming of Parcells and Belichick. 

they take a 5-11 team and go 5-11. no improvement what so ever.

people think Brady is some sort of QB whisperer because he was an assistant to the QB coach at LSU when Burrow was there. doesn't that sound familiar? wasn't Gase the OC with Peyton. wasn't that his claim to fame, why people thought Gase would be a good HC.

then Brady does nothing with Bridgewater. funny thing is almost all of Bridgewaters stats last year would be career highs for sam... and they want TB gone.

i get it. they didnt want TB anymore and didnt think they could get a QB in the draft. but if one falls to them i think they have to take it.

if they pass on one, they are putting there NFL careers in Sam Darnolds hands. and they get one shot at it with sam. if they pass on a QB and say ...nah were good, were rolling with sam and he sucks for a 4th year there fired at the end of the year.

draft a QB and they do like us, reset the clock. a bad year from a rookie QB wont be as bad for them cause they would give the rookie 2-3 years. which would give the coaches maybe one more year to work with that rookie.