Greg Newsome - thoughts?

ryu79

I keep seeing us projected to draft him at 23 in rd1.

I have a strong pref/hope that we draft OL at 23, but CB is definitely a position of need. I keep hearing that Salah's scheme is much less reliant on CB performance with less man defending. 

How do you guys see Newsome as a fit and for value at this spot?

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

I keep seeing us projected to draft him at 23 in rd1.

I have a strong pref/hope that we draft OL at 23, but CB is definitely a position of need. I keep hearing that Salah's scheme is much less reliant on CB performance with less man defending. 

How do you guys see Newsome as a fit and for value at this spot?

I like him, if the top OL are gone by 23, I would be okay with him being drafted there. 

• Upvote 1

I like Newsome...but...Jets should go O at #23 or trade down.

If the value for offense at OL or a premium playmaker WE doesn't fall to #23.  I would prefer a trade down to add another 2nd and/or a 3rd rounder.   If you end up somewhere around 28-32.  You can take whoever you wanted at pick #34.   And pick up a 5th year on that player.

IMO you can draft a good corner in 3-5th round.   Then after draft go sign either General Sherman or Admiral Nelson to fill out the secondary.  

The surprise in this draft could be JD actually taking a couple of LBs.  And someone like a Zaven Collins at #23.

We'll find out soon

Think he’s a good fit and a good athlete.

Missed at least three games due to injury each season in college. Best availability is availability.

I don’t really want a corner at 23 anyway but that early I’d be pretty concerned about his propensity to get banged up (and not play through it).

If we go defense at #23 I hope it's only because the top 5 OLinemen are gone, the trade down opportunity isn't great, and that the Jets take an edge rusher who fell outside the Top 20.

This Draft is pretty deep at CB and Saleh doesn't need exceptional man-cover CBs to run his system, he needs a pass rush.  I'd rather the Jets take the 9th or 10th best CB in something like Round 3, rather than using a 1st round pick there.

One other thing to remember, the Jets do currently have what they believe are reasonable young starters at the outside CB spots in Bryce Hall and Bless Austin.  But, they haven't really signed anyone to replace Brian Poole as a slot/nickel CB.  Look for that type of guy to be taken if the Jets go CB.

I'm a fan of Newsome. The fit is great. The value not so much. I know the Jets have been connected to Newsome and seem to really like him but I can't imagine them taking him as early as 23. I've heard if we are targeting CB at 23 it might be Jaycee Horn, assuming he slides. 

Personally, I'm convinced the Jets will pounce on Jenkins if he is there at 23 and may even trade up a few spots for him. A guy like Newsome could very well be there at 34 and I'd sure feel a lot more comfortable taking a CB at 34 having already addressed a critical position on the O-line. 

Of course, a trade down scenario changes all of this depending on where we end up.   

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If we go defense at #23 I hope it's only because the top 5 OLinemen are gone, the trade down opportunity isn't great, and that the Jets take an edge rusher who fell outside the Top 20.

This Draft is pretty deep at CB and Saleh doesn't need exceptional man-cover CBs to run his system, he needs a pass rush.  I'd rather the Jets take the 9th or 10th best CB in something like Round 3, rather than using a 1st round pick there.

One other thing to remember, the Jets do currently have what they believe are reasonable young starters at the outside CB spots in Bryce Hall and Bless Austin.  But, they haven't really signed anyone to replace Brian Poole as a slot/nickel CB.  Look for that type of guy to be taken if the Jets go CB.

I was hoping we resign Poole after the draft either way.

• Upvote 1