JETS WILL LOVE HIM: HOW ZACH WILSON BURST ONTO THE NFL DRAFT SCENE.

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He is a gym rat and is sneaky athletic, unlike Justin Fields and Trey Lance. Cough.

So its on the nose. I'm fine with that. While media trained and always (to the point it annoyed some) saying the "right things" - I never felt Sam or Mark were actively trying to shape their media narratives. 

Team Wilson seems to be really into it and maybe that will help (vs. my earlier worries the kid from Utah gets eaten alive by NY media).

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

Watched the Herbstreit show QB21 last night. Zach looks like he is 15 yo. Looks like he should be picking out a suit for Jr Prom not the NFL draft.

Which fortunately has pretty much nothing to do with ability to play QB

2 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

So its on the nose. I'm fine with that. While media trained and always (to the point it annoyed some) saying the "right things" - I never felt Sam or Mark were actively trying to shape their media narratives. 

Team Wilson seems to be really into it and maybe that will help.

Or...and far more likely than your conspiracy theories is they’re simply telling the truth.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

Sorry, corrected that above - help with handling NY media (or avoiding the wrong stuff).

The last player who had a “Team” helping him promote his brand was Jamal Adams, who was a pariah in the locker room. If Wilson comes in here with an entourage of people working to tailor his messaging and image, he’s going to be ejected from Florham Park via catapult.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Or...and far more likely than your conspiracy theories is they’re simply telling the truth.   

Wow. That's absolutely not what I was implying - who told you having a communication strategy was about not telling the truth?

I absolutely think that this stuff is true and I think they have skillfully dealt with the 'he's a spoiled kid nephew of Jet Blue founder' and the 'he wasn't a captain must not be that into football' nonsense that came out earlier. That's the point. 

I saw Mark struggle with managing the fall out of eating a snack during a game.

1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

I think they have skillfully dealt with the 'he's a spoiled kid nephew of Jet Blue founder' and the 'he wasn't a captain must not be that into football' nonsense that came out earlier. That's the point. 

The locker room is going to deal with that sh*t. The assembled media didn’t know who Zach Wilson was a year ago, and all of them have been distracted by having to explain why they had Mac Jones as a fourth rounder a month ago.

Just now, T0mShane said:

The last player who had a “Team” helping him promote his brand was Jamal Adams, who was a pariah in the locker room. If Wilson comes in here with an entourage of people working to tailor his messaging and image, he’s going to be ejected from Florham Park via catapult.

You know that's hyperbole, Tom. The best guys at this are super conscious of the narrative and know how to avoid or stay ahead of it (think Jeter). 

This isn't all or nothing and not everyone who is self aware becomes Jamal Adams. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The locker room is going to deal with that sh*t. The assembled media didn’t know who Zach Wilson was a year ago, and all of them have been distracted by having to explain why they had Mac Jones as a fourth rounder a month ago.

C'mon man. Like him or not, he's managed this media cycle very well. Mac Jones? You are grasping. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They need to fix it, Keyshawn Johnson chasing him down in his Prius while he drove his Ferrari too fast in the neighborhood is a stain not easily removed. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Great read. Clearly, his handlers have honed in on messaging on work ethic and passion for the game. Smart strategy. 

If this wasn’t meant to be snarky than my fault but it clearly does read that way to me.   
Just seem cynical to say that the idea that he’s a film junkie and works hard is somehow a communication strategy.  

It’s highly unlikely to be the case and far more likely he’s a hard worker that watches a lot of film and loves the game.  

5 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

You know that's hyperbole, Tom. The best guys at this are super conscious of the narrative and know how to avoid or stay ahead of it (think Jeter). 

This isn't all or nothing and not everyone who is self aware becomes Jamal Adams. 

Jeter was a massive douche who coattailed his way to titles early on with the most expensive roster in the history of the sport. He was like the eight most important player on those teams and would have died anonymously if he got drafted by the Royals. It’s fine to have people managing your marketing, but if he doesn’t have early success and they’re putting him on “Got Milk” billboards or whatever, the team and market will fricasee that single-serve packet of mayonnaise.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If this wasn’t meant to be snarky than my fault but it clearly does read that way to me.   
Just seem cynical to say that the idea that he’s a film junkie and works hard is somehow a communication strategy.  

It’s highly unlikely to be the case and far more likely he’s a hard worker that watches a lot of film and loves the game.  

Was not meant cynically. One of my  worries was comparisons that he's another Baker Mayfield type - after seeing how he and his fam have handled the early media stuff about him, Im relieved. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Wow. That's absolutely not what I was implying - who told you having a communication strategy was about not telling the truth?

I absolutely think that this stuff is true and I think they have skillfully dealt with the 'he's a spoiled kid nephew of Jet Blue founder' and the 'he wasn't a captain must not be that into football' nonsense that came out earlier. That's the point. 

I saw Mark struggle with managing the fall out of eating a snack during a game.

That wasn’t a major main stream narrative it was something proliferated on a Jets forum by sad and angry people.  He didn’t build a communication strategy to go as deep as his high school coaches to appease JetNation.  
He’s truly a film junky that loves football.  He did actually wear a prove them wrong wristband, that’s wasn’t a communication prop. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jeter was a massive douche who coattailed his way to titles early on with the most expensive roster in the history of the sport. He was like the eight most important player on those teams and would have died anonymously if he got drafted by the Royals. It’s fine to have people managing your marketing, but if he doesn’t have early success and they’re putting him on “Got Milk” billboards or whatever, the team and market will fricasee that single-serve packet of mayonnaise.

You always need early success in this market. Agree there.

12 hours ago, Wit said:

It’s a great article, just hope he can play against the big boys.

it’s funny how fields did the best on some test  out of 2500 athletes who took it 

Mac Jones had a photographic memory 

Zach Wilson Wilson works hard

At a loss how you ignore Wilson faced almost no real competition, Jones playing in the best conference and in the champioship, completely  discounted. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Was not meant cynically. One of my  worries was comparisons that he's another Baker Mayfield type - after seeing how he and his fam have handled the early media stuff about him, Im relieved. 

I agree with you.  I just think he’s just a good kid from a good family.  I get no sense of pretension or that he’s being disingenuous.  
I mean I also get the sense that he’s really not happy about going to the Jets - and I don’t think his family did a whole to expel that.  but I suppose by now they’ve accepted it.  

11 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I like that he seems to have a bottomless appetite for putting in the work and embraces being a leader. People confuse a qb being a good teammate (like Darnold and Sanchez) with leadership. They are very different qualities. 

As much as I expect Wilson to ..., this is true. Being a nice guy and great QB don't really go together. In fact a lot of great QBs are douchebags who don't spend a lot of time worrying about what their teammates feel, as long as they succeed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That wasn’t a major main stream narrative it was something proliferated on a Jets forum by sad and angry people.  He didn’t build a communication strategy to go as deep as his high school coaches to appease JetNation.  
He’s truly a film junky that loves football.  He did actually wear a prove them wrong wristband, that’s wasn’t a communication prop. 

All this stuff is an echo chamber. The captaincy stuff was all over the place and I think he handled it great and got out his story effectively. That it's true makes no difference - a lot of folks have great stories and are unable to land them.

35 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

You always need early success in this market. Agree there.

I was talking with a wilson Stan today and I asked him OK how many wins do you see with ZW this year and he says 13 

This dude sees 13-4, right now 

It's not that I hate ZW. I hate these ridiculous expectations that we can't possibly even reach. It's classic Jets fan and then week 4 shows up we're winless again and wonder why 

ZW is basically going to have to work miracles to survive. He's going to be blitzed to sh*t and he has 1 good lineman in Becton 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I was talking with a wilson Stan today and I asked him OK how many wins do you see with ZW and he says 13 

It's not that I hate ZW. I hate these ridiculous expectations that we can't possibly even reach 

ZW is basically going to have to work miracles to survive 

You’re stressing over a person’s expectations? Very rational. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Lol thanks for confirming 

I just want to make sure your stress levels are low buddy 

Because we're friends like that and it's not weird at all 

See we were having a discussion, but I don't agree with you, so you must be stressed out 

Maybe we can talk about it later when you get calm 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I just want to make sure your stress levels are low buddy 

Because we're friends like that and it's not weird at all 

See we were having a discussion, but I don't agree with you, so you must be stressed out 

Maybe we can talk about it later when you get calm 

Another confirmation. Relax lol

48 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Jones playing in the best conference and in the champioship, completely  discounted. 

Its like saying Sanchez really was a top NFL QB when he went two back to back AFCGs riding the coattails of a really talented team.

The Bama teams success doesnt rid Jones of the questions about his game.  Plus theres a good chance hes the third QB drafted on Thursday night.  

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

At a loss how you ignore Wilson faced almost no real competition, Jones playing in the best conference and in the champioship, completely  discounted. 

Jones also has superior players around him at every position compared to the other team regardless of SEC level competition. Including two projected first round wide recievers. 

Alabama pretty much has first choice at every position in every recruiting class.

• Upvote 1

I’ve experienced enoug me of these QB honeymoon phases where we put ——— player on a pedestal and proclaim inevitable greatness and victories.

I’ve learned that drafting QB are like experiences with lovers. The initial phase when one is besotted and cannot see the imperfections because one is consumed by passion. The following phase where imperfections and fundamental traits are judged as incidental to the whole and explained away. Ultimately the end of the illusion takes place and the person becomes the reason for all our flaws and negative results.

Yes, having a physically beautiful lover is amazing but does not guarantee happiness. How many Sofia Vergaras and Jennifer Annistons were rejected by thier lovers initially for the new lover yet found greater success after their rejections?

• Upvote 1