Horrific thought about the niners trade up to three

Wit

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We're officially going off the rails....

As truly awesome as that song is, you need to hear this mashup with EW&F because it takes it to a completely different level that is perhaps the greatest mashup ever conceived.

And in any case, it's far more compelling than the premise of this thread.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, St Louie Jet Fan said:

Its gonna play out like this

1. Jax    Wilson

2. NYJ    Lawrence

3. SF      Fields

It won't.  But oh....if only it did...

Talk about dousing the talk radio circuit with kerosene and throwing a torch on it...

• Haha 2

I'm sure the 49ers aren't stupid like GM Mike Maccagnan. 49ers wanted to make sure which QB will be there at 3 unlike Maccagnan trading up and gambling wasn't sure which QB would be there at #3 and set the franchise back. Nothing to worry about and Wilson is a better QB than anyone after him ?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Why are the Niners the measuring sticky for all things sacred all of the sudden?  They caught lightning in a bottle one year and have had two 6-10 seasons and a 4-12 season under Shannahan.

Even if this scenario is true(which I doubt it is), who cares?  It's not like the Niners have been other worldly drafting under Lynch.  Have a few really nice picks/players, but all in all, relatively average.

Because people here are bored so they need to overthink every flap of the butterfly's wings, not unlike most of the sports media.  At #12, the 49ers are looking at a probably choice of Trask and Mond.  At #3 they definitely have their choice of Fields, Jones and Lance, possibly Wilson instead of Fields if the Jets go that way.  It's that simple.  They aren't 'outfoxing' the Jets.  They are ensuring they get a top QB prospect after the Jags and Jets have taken the first two off the board but before any more go.

It's like the med school saw....when you hear hoofbeats, it's probably horses, not zebras.

Oh, and it's extra special to see people try to re-litigate the trade up for Darnold which almost everyone was blissful about when we got him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Why are the Niners the measuring sticky for all things sacred all of the sudden?  They caught lightning in a bottle one year and have had two 6-10 seasons and a 4-12 season under Shannahan.

Even if this scenario is true(which I doubt it is), who cares?  It's not like the Niners have been other worldly drafting under Lynch.  Have a few really nice picks/players, but all in all, relatively average.

This, by the way, is what happens when you try and build a team through Defense in today's league. Yes, you can make a run - but it's a very small window.  Build a strong offense you're competitive for a decade.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This, by the way, is what happens when you try and build a team through Defense in today's league. Yes, you can make a run - but it's a very small window.  Build a strong offense you're competitive for a decade.

Like the falcons?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, St Louie Jet Fan said:

Im possibly 100% off here but, I think I might be only 25% off. I dont believe Jax is 100% taking T. Lawrence.

As much as I'd love it, here's why I put it at basically 100%.

Even IF the coaches and GM agreed that Wilson was a better fit, it would be a slight difference at most.

But if they drafted anyone but Trevor, the fans would absolutely revolt.  Sports media would tear them to shreds for days, if not weeks.  And the owner is sensitive to that and he is very involved in this from what I read.  I really can't see them stirring up a hornets nest by passing on the guy that everyone has declared the #1 pick since he was a freshman.  And god forbid if they do it and they turn out to be wrong?  That's brand suicide.  

If they really did prefer Wilson, the only way to play it would be to flip picks with the Jets so they could at least show something positive for it.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Like the falcons?

Playoffs in 08,10,11,12,16,17 

Along with a Super Bowl they should have won if it wasn't for a lost HC.  

Ryan Drafted in 08 - that's a decade! 

I'm not saying you're going to win multiple championships, but with an offense you're in the mix.  

This is the reality of the league today.  Maintaining a competitive defense is just too hard to do over an extended period of time.  There are exceptions to every rule but it is FAR, FAR more likely to build a winner through offense than defense now a days....and that's only going to expand.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

It’s Belichick trading up right behind the Jets and scaring the stupid and vulnerable Mangini to draft Gholston all over again. 

Oh! The humanity! 

wait, you didnt talk bad of the GREAT Mangini did you?

oh god no....

you didnt speak bad of the sole architect of the great 2009, 2010 teams did you?

oh god no...

you didnt speak bad of the best coach since Parcells, did you? the one who runs circles around Rex with his zero playoff wins?

oh god no...

the Mangininites will be coming out in full force now to defend there god, this thread is going to explode...

LMFAO...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets and Niners are friends.  Saleh and LaFleur owe their careers to Shanahan.  The Jets disclosed who they are taking before the Niners traded up.  There is no conspiracy, only collusion.

SAR I

Yes.  The 49ers didn't make the trade until they knew the Jets were locked in on staying at 2 - as soon as Wilson passed his physicals that's when the trade was made to 3.

I believe the Jets draft board was Wilson or Keep Darnold.  If Wilson wasn't what was expected the 49ers get to 2 instead of the 3.

By all accounts they like Wilson better, but that really has nothing to do with the 49ers.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1