The Jets will select Tackle Liam Eichenberg with the 23rd pick of the draft.

Alka

Remember that name.  He played against elite competition and didn't allow a sack in 2 years.  He will be perfect to be moved to right guard for this year, and possibly go to right tackle next year if Fant doesn't come back.

I believe that the upper echelon offensive linemen will be gone by 23, and if we don't select Eichenberg at #23, he won't make it until #34.

Other players at other positions will entice the Jets, but if they go on what they desperately need, then Eichenberg is the right pick.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 4

After the original run at OL in the first I feel like there's going to be a run on OL, corner, and Edge in round 2. Eichenberg is fine, but I don't really want him at #23, think there's guys who would grade out higher available at 23 than him. I think the "he's not there at #34" is not necessarily true, I'd actually be surprised if he was gone before 34.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

There are a bunch of olineman we can take at 23.  Its a real sweet spot for oline.

Joe D will nail this pick and take a stud olineman.

Not so sure about that. If they want O-line, Beerfish is correct -- trade back first. If one of the first tier guys falls, of course, take him. But I think the Jets are going to be facing an edge choice that's enticing at 23. That will be JD's first dilemma. Which way to go? If they can trade back, the extra pick will be very useful.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

To accompany the QB who can’t stay on the field

If you’d like to try to distract from being wrong about Newsome in a way thats completely hypocritical when compared to your complaints about the quarterback they’re going to draft (and I’m not a fan of taking a QB at 2 so if you think that dig at Wilson would bother me, it doesn’t) - by all means.

• Haha 1

Draft is very deep at OL this year, plenty of RT and guard types available, no need  to rush to take an OL at #23, only if nobody FELL to us there we didn’t expect.

Guaranteed there will be fine OL prospects at #34 but maybe not a top CB like Newsome there or a top EDGE type .

Fortunately, it’s a deep draft for Interior OLS , no rush to take one at #23.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You guys are on the right track with Eichenberg and Cosmi, only it will be at 34 or 68 IMO.   There’s better value at OT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds than at pick 23.   

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If we take him I think it's at 34.

There will be more elite/high upside players at 23, even if it's not on the OL.

I agree, the jets can get a tackle, guard or center they like at 34.  This is why i think they trade back at 23, then take a defensive player, grab an OL at 34 and then would have more ammo to trade back into the 2nd round.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

If you’d like to try to distract from being wrong about Newsome in a way thats completely hypocritical when compared to your complaints about the quarterback they’re going to draft (and I’m not a fan of taking a QB at 2 so if you think that dig at Wilson would bother me, it doesn’t) - by all means.

I don’t want Newsome.  I want Bateman at 23.  I just know we are drafting both him and Wilson.  JD going all in on the glass guys

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Not so sure about that. If they want O-line, Beerfish is correct -- trade back first. If one of the first tier guys falls, of course, take him. But I think the Jets are going to be facing an edge choice that's enticing at 23. That will be JD's first dilemma. Which way to go? If they can trade back, the extra pick will be very useful.

Yeah I think there are a bunch of fringe first round linemen and we have no idea when they’ll actually go. Trading down would be more prudent.

Feel like Douglas is more likely to add a pick and get the last guy in a tier than go after one of the first guys in a tier, and barring Slater/Vera-Tucker falling an OL at 23 is pretty early in what looks like a deep third tier of prospects.

Always seems to be a lot of action in the 20’s too. Hopefully somebody wants to leapfrog the Steelers. Maybe a weird inside the division trade with Buffalo? Saints and I think Packers have extra capital to make something clean work and Baltimore does too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t want Newsome.  I want Bateman at 23.  I just know we are drafting both him and Wilson.  JD going all in on the glass guys

I’d be surprised if they draft Newsome and think Bateman makes little to no sense for a team that’s rarely going to be in 3WR sets. Particularly as early as 23 with him coming off a disappointing year. 

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree, the jets can get a tackle, guard or center they like at 34.  This is why i think they trade back at 23, then take a defensive player, grab an OL at 34 and then would have more ammo to trade back into the 2nd round.

It’s a deep OT class but not an elite one.   Last year was top heavy with a bunch of elite guys but not as much depth after that.   This year it’s Sewell and Slater and a bunch of really good second tier guys.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There are a bunch of olineman we can take at 23.  Its a real sweet spot for oline.

Joe D will nail this pick and take a stud olineman.

Not really 

The sweet spot for the line is about 5-8. 

By 23 all the studs will be gone 

Liam Eichenberg is not a special player and also not a first Rd player 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s a deep OT class but not an elite one.   Last year was top heavy with a bunch of elite guys but not as much depth after that.   This year it’s Sewell and Slater and a bunch of really good second tier guys.  

That actually works to our advantage. If there were 4-5 elite OTs available, they would all be gone by 23 anyway. Having only 1-2 worthy of a top 10 pick but a bunch that will fall in the 20-40 range helps us given our draft capital. 

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

To accompany the QB who can’t stay on the field

Right.  If they Jets are the Jets and they are indeed, the Jets...

They take Wilson with @ #2 and Caleb Farley with @ #23.  I mean, SUCH potential high ceilings. 

Both get injured in camp and miss all of 2021. 

I'd like to be an optimist and I am with all things other than the Jets.

I don't expect Douglas and Saleh to change the Jets.

I expect the Jets to finish them off. 

• Thumb Down 3