The Jets will select Tackle Liam Eichenberg with the 23rd pick of the draft.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jets are going to trade back and then take Creed Humphrey.

You guys are on the right track with Eichenberg and Cosmi, only it will be at 34 or 68 IMO.   There’s better value at OT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds than at pick 23.   

Eichenberg’s got short arms which tends to make even athletic guys slide and lacks the great athleticism to project to LT too. Think he’s a rock solid RT/G prospect without a great ceiling. Feels like

22 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets spent a first rounder at LT last year, and I'm proposing that they spend another one (or a very high second) on an IOL this year. That's Brick-Mangold, just a year apart. So clearly my line of thinking does not go against that. 

And yes, the fans here overvalue the OL. It's like it's the only unit on the team for some people. I get that it was ignored for too long, but Joe Douglas used two picks on it last year and brought in a number of free agents, including a couple more expensive ones. The OL has not been ignored since he arrived, and it won't be ignored in this draft. I expect at least two. With all that activity, it's a little hard to say it's been ignored for 15 years when it hasn't been the last two. 

The all pros later theory works for some positions better than others. It doesn't work so great for the more premium positions; QB, Edge, CB, WR. It works great for the lower valued positions such as RB, TE, S, G/C, though.  

Taking OL at both #23 and #34 is taking a player very high who you expect to ride the bench. I'd rather use one of those picks on a player who's going to start right away. Let's see what the coaches and the scheme they're bringing to the team does for the OL. I think a guy like Fant, a converted TE, will do much better in the zone scheme. That's the approach I expect them to take. They probably like the guys they've got better than you do, and see better fits for them in this system than you see. Offensive lines are all about how they work together, not just the individual parts. That's why/how many great OLs include late picks/UDFAs/cast-offs. I expect them to trust the system rather than overdraft the position, because that's the smart thing to do. 

There's an obsession, and would lead to drafting a lot of guys riding the bench all year. Especially at OL where they can't get subbed in here & there like other positions: they're in or out all game. The most obvious upgrade is one iOL position up for grabs. Taking the best man-blocking tackle prospect on the board is too easily equated with instant plugged in upgrade.

It's like there's no belief in players learning and developing: they're either great (or at least substantial) individual upgrades as rookies, where apparently zone blocking career ceilings are shown by age 21-22, otherwise they were wasted picks and will suck forever.

Then when there's little or no action seen as rookies, particularly for a second OL pick, we can presume they were wasted picks and then the same people will want to redraft those same OL positions again in 2022.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's a obsession, and would lead to drafting a lot of guys riding the bench all year. Especially at OL where they can't get subbed in here & there like other positions: they're in or out all game. The most obvious upgrade is one iOL position up for grabs. Taking the best man-blocking tackle prospect on the board is too easily equated with instant plugged in upgrade.

It's like there's no belief in players learning and developing: they're either great (or at least substantial) individual upgrades as rookies, where apparently zone blocking career ceilings are shown by age 21-22, otherwise they were wasted picks and will suck forever.

Then when there's little or no action seen as rookies, particularly for a second OL pick, we can presume they were wasted picks and then the same people will want to redraft those same OL positions again in 2022.

Agreed.  JD took two o-linemen last year Becton at 11 and Clark in the 4th round.  He’s isn’t going to take 2 more in the first 3 rounds this year.   Clark was hurt to start the season and never really got his season started.  I have to imagine he still figures into the plans this year.  People want a center and a RT taken in the first 3 rounds, well where are these guys going to play?  You want a rookie center with a rookie RT starting with a rookie QB?   I just don’t see it.   I can see a RT prospect taken in the first 3 rounds, but I don’t see JD stockpiling O-line picks this year. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, Alka said:

Remember that name.  He played against elite competition and didn't allow a sack in 2 years.  He will be perfect to be moved to right guard for this year, and possibly go to right tackle next year if Fant doesn't come back.

I believe that the upper echelon offensive linemen will be gone by 23, and if we don't select Eichenberg at #23, he won't make it until #34.

Other players at other positions will entice the Jets, but if they go on what they desperately need, then Eichenberg is the right pick.

I'm not sure if the Jets go for this guy or not but when it comes to tackles I would love to see the Jets get a better pass protector at LT and move Becton to RT and turn him into a road warrior run blocking beast. If Becton has a weakness its pass protection I think by moving him to RT you get the best out of his talent.

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's a obsession, and would lead to drafting a lot of guys riding the bench all year. Especially at OL where they can't get subbed in here & there like other positions: they're in or out all game. The most obvious upgrade is one iOL position up for grabs. Taking the best man-blocking tackle prospect on the board is too easily equated with instant plugged in upgrade.

Yeah. Most people would tend to agree with the statement that you can't really judge a draft for three years, but many of the people here who would agree with that are already concerned about JD's drafting ability after just one draft because his middle rounders failed to see much of the field, or struggled when they did. I'm really interested to see what he does this year, but I'm also really interested in seeing where guys like Ashtyn Davis, Perine, Zuniga, and Clark are at with a year in the league under their belts. That's what those middle rounds are supposed to be for: developing players. That's what JD is trying to do: build a pipeline of players who are ready to move into larger roles of the course of two or three years. That's what the best teams do. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers who always seem to let guys go at just the right time, and have someone you never heard of step in and perform at a similar level. 

The problem with this method is that it takes time. The fans are impatient, but Joe Douglas negotiated his six-year deal and control so that he had the time and freedom to do it his way. The proper way, IMHO. Of course, the method is the easy part of the equation. John Idzik understood the method. The key is the actual drafting. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, slats said:

Yeah. Most people would tend to agree with the statement that you can't really judge a draft for three years, but many of the people here who would agree with that are already concerned about JD's drafting ability after just one draft because his middle rounders failed to see much of the field, or struggled when they did. I'm really interested to see what he does this year, but I'm also really interested in seeing where guys like Ashtyn Davis, Perine, Zuniga, and Clark are at with a year in the league under their belts. That's what those middle rounds are supposed to be for: developing players. That's what JD is trying to do: build a pipeline of players who are ready to move into larger roles of the course of two or three years. That's what the best teams do. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers who always seem to let guys go at just the right time, and have someone you never heard of step in and perform at a similar level. 

The problem with this method is that it takes time. The fans are impatient, but Joe Douglas negotiated his six-year deal and control so that he had the time and freedom to do it his way. The proper way, IMHO. Of course, the method is the easy part of the equation. John Idzik understood the method. The key is the actual drafting. 

Plus last year you had a head coach who seems to have prevented these guys from playing until the end of the season, even after their injuries were behind them.  

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not sure if the Jets go for this guy or not but when it comes to tackles I would love to see the Jets get a better pass protector at LT and move Becton to RT and turn him into a road warrior run blocking beast. If Becton has a weakness its pass protection I think by moving him to RT you get the best out of his talent.

It’s a good thing some of you guys aren’t running this team.   Becton just turned 22 last week, his career is already defined?  Becton will be a top 3 LT in this league by the end of the 2022 season.  Sure, let’s move him to RT though. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s a good thing some of you guys aren’t running this team.   Becton just turned 22 last week, his career is already defined?  Becton will be a top 3 LT in this league by the end of the 2022 season.  Sure, let’s move him to RT though. 

Calm down sec101 I'm not defining Bectons career but IMHO I do not think he will be a great protector of the QB's blind side and I also have concern with his huge size and if he can sustain that weight for the long haul. He is obviously a monster in the running game and what would be better than having 2 very good to great bookends smashing peoples faces for the next 10 + years ?

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Calm down sec101 I'm not defining Bectons career but IMHO I do not think he will be a great protector of the QB's blind side and I also have concern with his huge size and if he can sustain that weight for the long haul. He is obviously a monster in the running game and what would be better than having 2 very good to great bookends smashing peoples faces for the next 10 + years ?

You can still have 2 very good bookends with Becton at LT.  

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You can still have 2 very good bookends with Becton at LT.  

I love the anti-Sewell argument. The jets can’t have an offensive line that’s too good

On 4/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, varjet said:

I don't think so.

If a team wanted a T in the last 2 FAs, what were the options?

If the Jets are not wild about Fant and his contract expires this year, what do they do?

Look at the teams that pick between 23 and 34.  Many of them need T.  

When Becton gets hurt and Fant needs to move to LT to prevent Wilson from getting killed, who plays RT?  Edoga?

This is a tough one, because I agree that the Eichenberg, Cosmi, etc. are not the 23rd best player in this draft.  From OT is a premium position, and it is hard to find in FA, or in recent drafts, the later rounds.  

went at 42 ... 6th tackle off the board.