Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson?

Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So if you compare now to 3 years ago:

1- Wilson is a much better prospect then Sam. 

2- Much better coaching staff in place

3- Much better gm in place

4- More draft picks to build a team around him

Instead of being hesitant to be excited, realize how foolish it was you were excited 3 years ago.  

Now look at the setup now, and realize how exciting this truly is.

The only item on your list that is a certain is the 4th one.  Everything else is conjecture.

As for Wilson, I don't get the hype for this kid.  At least for Fields he had one great defining game against Clemson.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I will only be excited if at pick 23, 34 or 66 they address the OL and get a skill player like Etienne/Bateman. 

Anything less than that it will be watching a Darnold led team again.

Why?  There are no players of any note available after pick 66??  I don't get this thinking.  So if land any combination of Kenny Gainwell, Chubba Hubbard, Jalean Darden, Hunter Long, Tommy Tremble, Dwayne Eskeridge with our second 3rd rounder plus the multiple picks we have in the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds, you would have a problem with that?   Guys have to let the entire draft play out.  We don't need either Etienne or Bateman.   With Davis, Mims, Cole and Crowder, who is Bateman beating out?  We need an all purpose type receiver who can also play special teams and back up the slot position.  This year the draft is very deep in slot receivers.   In fact I would argue that TE in this system (see San Fran) is a bigger need than receiver especially based on our depth chart.  I think we would be find with a running back by committee approach but still took a running back in the middle rounds.  Guys like all purpose speedsters like Gainwell or Hubbard would be perfect compliments to our running back room.   

I would personally be okay if we went OL at both 23 and 34 (or slight trade back no more than 10-12 places and add another 3rd rounder).  Even with out a trade down we have enough picks to address OL, TE, CB, LB, RB, WR and EDGE.  Whether we address all those positions remains to be seen; I fully expect the OL to take major priority.  

11 minutes ago, peebag said:

The only item on your list that is a certain is the 4th one.  Everything else is conjecture.

As for Wilson, I don't get the hype for this kid.  At least for Fields he had one great defining game against Clemson.

Douglas is a gm, Mcgagnan is unemployed.  So yes, the gm is better

Saleh was wanted as a hc by every team that needed one.  Todd bowles was wanted as hc by no one.  So yes, coach is better.

Sam Darnold led the entire nation in turnovers his last year in college.  That is horrific.  And he went 3rd in the draft.  Wilson had a great last year in college and is going 2nd in the draft.  So yes, the prospect is better.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Super excited. After we lost that first game I buried myself in evaluating the others and have wanted Zach since December. Not only is he a better prospect than Sam, but instead of being draft pick deprived like we were when we picked Sam, we have 21 picks the next 2 drafts, which is an entire extra round in picks but actually WAY more in value as 5 of the 7 extra are in the first 3 rounds.

I will admit to wanting the draft wait to be over, and I get super annoyed with people saying he is small when he is good sized with above average hand size. 

13 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If i was making the pick it would be Justin Fields, but i'll root for him, even changed my profile picture. Hope he's the next Aaron Rodgers like everybody is saying, oh and that he can last a 17 game season.

Yeah something 6'3 225 Darnold couldn't do, but its seems little Kyler Murray seemed to manage it.  

• Upvote 2

I voted yes but it's more of an upbeat  than excited. I was hoping we'd keep Sam for 1 more year and trade down from #2 and get tons of additional draft ammo. I hope the kid works out for all our sake. DON'T want to be back here in the same spot we are now. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Would it though? It would have been a different can of worms, at least until it wasn't. Fields played tougher competition, but Rutgers isn't exactly a powerhouse, and Fields was generally on the team with superior talent. Same for TL, I grew up a Syracuse fan, they've never been very good at football. Besides Miami the ACC doesn't offer much competition consistently. 

Yea. Emphatically so. That’s why I typed it. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not excited, I’m resigned. I don't have a QB preference in this draft. What will be will be, and I’m zen as ****. 

I like these guys. I hope they’re right. I’m just not ready for emotional commitment at this time. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Sorry to spoil your cynical little narrative, but the Parcells rule was that college QBs should start at least 30 games. Wilson started exactly 30 games. 

I stand corrected. The fact that he had to fight for the starting job as a junior threw me off 

• Upvote 2

Super excited, yes. 

Flagged Wilson up initially on the 'QB Thread' in the Draft Forum on 10/26/2020. I'd by lying though if I thought back then, that he would be considered the consensus number 2 pick that he is today. When I saw him in October, I viewed him as a mid-first round talent, saw him going to someone like the Colts. But he kept impressing every week and here we are today. 

Still won't quite believe he is the pick, until it actually happens. So trying, and failing to temper the excitement levels. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Sorry to spoil your cynical little narrative, but the Parcells rule was that college QBs should start at least 30 games. Wilson started exactly 30 games. 

And after the first 18, absolutely no one thought he was a legit NFL prospect.

The entire basis for his #2 ranking was the 12 games of the 2020 "COVID" season, and his complete dominance over a -3.89 Strength of Schedule, (rated 96th out of 128 Schools).

Does terrified count as excited?

There are a lot of things I think the Jets should do to help support a young QB before bringing them in.

Enough that the list is somewhere between almost and actually too long to be addressed via and after the draft - so I think they’re going to fall well short. And that will be unfortunate.

Some nice traits to work with...but this is a bad situation.

Im a solid meh so I didn't vote.  I think 4 of the top 5 will turn out ok (minus Fields which will be a bust) but I can't help wishing we had fired Gase before he lead us to 2 spite victories which would have netted the Jets TL.  Not like I felt about Josh Allen this time a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

I can’t say I am excited about drafting Zach, I wanted to trade down and give Sam one more but now that he out of the equation Nd my next best bet Justin Fields has the medical issue, yea, I think Zach has a chance to give us a few good laughs next season, kid has a pretty good skill set and seems like a guy big enough for the stage here.

if he struggles, press will destroy him though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Go get that Zach Fathead for your ceiling over your bunk bed. 

Oh...a little sarcastic pun intended gets you riled up...huh? 

Don't  be happy or cheer if  Wilson plays well.   It would be so dishonest of you to root for his success.

Dick?

• Haha 1