Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson?

Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson

37 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

No. Not in the less. I think it’s a huge mistake. 3/4 of this board never heard of him before he was tied to the Jets. Now he’s the best QB coming out of the draft. Give me a break. 

That might be true, but 3/4 of the board haven't heard about lots of people.

• Upvote 2

If you asked me a month ago I would say no.  Now after my annual internal Jets pep talk to talk myself into all his positives while fading out the negatives, I'm good go!  This years gonna be different!.....lol.

In all seriousness, this team does have a different feel to it. I think the team will play inspired football and be competitive, which will be a welcomed change. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Same. I see a lot of time on IR in between periods of skittish on-field play, ultimately ending in a lot of hand-wringing about how it’s Douglas’s fault for not spending seven first round picks on an imaginary OL that would ensure Wilson was never touched

To be honest .. I would have been ok sticking with Darnold and going full bore OL and skill positions.  But since we need to draft a QB now ... Wilson, to me, is the best shot not named Lawrence - And before he gets mamed behind our OL ... he will be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Edited by Dunnie

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

To be honest .. I would have been ok sticking with Darnold and going full bore OL and skill positions.  But since we need to draft a QB now ... Wilson, to me, is the best shot not named Lawrence - And before he gets mamed behind our OL ... he will be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Draft him, sit him for as long as it takes to build up the OL and get the new receivers acclimated. The dude is likely to be unpopular in the locker room at first as it is, don’t put it on him to learn the NFL game while the rest of the squad is still figuring it out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

And after the first 18, absolutely no one thought he was a legit NFL prospect.

The entire basis for his #2 ranking was the 12 games of the 2020 "COVID" season, and his complete dominance over a -3.89 Strength of Schedule, (rated 96th out of 128 Schools).

This line of argument is the least of my concerns with Wilson. He had a very strong freshman season, followed by an injury-marred sophomore season in which he beat USC but fell off the radar. He then bounced back to do what he did in 2020. I personally don’t give a crap that he played against a weak schedule. The skill and talent was obvious no matter who he played. I’m more concerned about his durability and ability to be a QB in an an structured NFL system. But I’d have the latter concern no matter which QB they drafted. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, usapaw said:

This seems so Jetsy.... Every year some team buys into the false hopes and hype. 

You do realize that essentially every team in the NFL has Wilson as #2 or #1 on their QB board. Just because he upset the Lawrence/Fields commencement ceremony everyone expected for 2 years does not mean he is not a much better prospect than Fields, Lance and Jones

Just now, Beerfish said:

The Deshaun Watson disappointment squad putting a hit on the new Qb prospect so they won't look so bad.

Wilson is a bust!  If only we had paid 5 first round picks for a creepy massage addict who will be banned for a year all would be well!

This will all be a hoot when Watson is back on the field for the Pats or Dolphins and Zach Wilson is having his breadstick arms reattached to his body with sheet rock screws after he tells Alex Lewis to “turn that frown upside down, buddy.”

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This will all be a hoot when Watson is back on the field for the Pats or Dolphins and Zach Wilson is having his breadstick arms reattached to his body with sheet rock screws after he tells Alex Lewis to “turn that frown upside down, buddy.”

AHA!

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You do realize that essentially every team in the NFL has Wilson as #2 or #1 on their QB board. Just because he upset the Lawrence/Fields commencement ceremony everyone expected for 2 years does not mean he is not a much better prospect than Fields, Lance and Jones

Or bust.

you needed a 3rd option...

are you excited to DRAFT a new QB, any QB so that you dont have to watch Sam Darnold again for one more second.

if that was a option i would say yes.

tbh, who knows who will be the best drafted QB. who will be able to handle the pros. so many have busted, and others who people didnt think they could have been great. ( can anyone say 6th rd pick TB12? )

im just excite to get a new QB whoever it is.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

And after the first 18, absolutely no one thought he was a legit NFL prospect.

The entire basis for his #2 ranking was the 12 games of the 2020 "COVID" season, and his complete dominance over a -3.89 Strength of Schedule, (rated 96th out of 128 Schools).

This is where you and soooo many others just aren't getting it. 

He is NOT the consensus #2 because of his record or his stats.  He's ranked this high because of his skill-set, both physical and mental.  Sometime I get the feeling that if his record sucked you guys might be able to see past the fact that he dominated the teams that were put in front of him - and somehow view that as a negative. It really is Bizarre.

People continue to spew that nonsense like our GM's and 3/4 of the polled GM's and multiple HOf QB's don't realize he played during a covid seasons or the teams he played.  

His skill-set projects to be a high level NFL QB.  It no longer matters who he played.  It no longer matters who Fields or Lawrence played. His stats from college are irrelevant right now.

Our GM and many others watched hours upon hours of tape on the kid, spoke to him many many times and made the decision that he's the QB they want to draft at #2...

And it has NOTHING to do with his record and stats in a Covid season.  His record and stats are there because he's that good, but he's not being drafted because of them. 

Honestly, this isn't that hard to grasp - unless you simply don't want to.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The skill and talent was obvious no matter who he played.

Not till most of the way through the 2020 season.

No one thought of him as an NFL QB prior to 2020. 

He was an irrelevant small school nobody fighting just to have a starting job prior to that odd Covid-effected season.

I’m more concerned about his durability

Understandable, given him diminutive size and weight, an existing history of injury.

....and ability to be a QB in an an structured NFL system.

He seems decently intelligent.  Certainly no dumber than any other of the top prospects.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is where you and soooo many others just aren't getting it. 

He is NOT the consensus #2 because of his record or his stats.  He's ranked this high because of his skill-set, both physical and mental.  Sometime I get the feeling that if his record sucked you guys might be able to see past the fact that he dominated the teams that were put in front of him - and somehow view that as a negative. It really is Bizarre.

People continue to spew that nonsense like our GM's and 3/4 of the polled GM's and multiple HOf QB's don't realize he played during a covid seasons or the teams he played.  

His skill-set projects to be a high level NFL QB.  It no longer matters who he played.  It no longer matters who Fields or Lawrence played. His stats from college are irrelevant right now.

Our GM and many others watched hours upon hours of tape on the kid, spoke to him many many times and made the decision that he's the QB they want to draft at #2...

And it has NOTHING to do with his record and stats in a Covid season.  His record and stats are there because he's that good, but he's not being drafted because of them. 

Honestly, this isn't that hard to grasp - unless you simply don't want to.

I'd love to compare this homer screed to similar Pro-Darnold homer screens a few years ago. 

I feel like the same "pay no attention to the details, the stats, the INT's, the rest....LOOK AT THE ELITE SKILLZ!!!" was bandied about rather regularly then too.

I'm guessing we'll next see the same "Wilson has elite accuracy, better than Rodgers" just like we saw with Darnold, lol. 

I only wonder if folks will wait till he actually throws his first NFL pass before making that claim.

Don't stress Fidelio, you're getting your guy in just a few days.  Then you're 100% right, his college career instantly becomes irrelevant, as does his supposed "Elite skills", only his production ON THE FIELD will matter, and it, just like Darnold, will speak loudly for itself.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd love to compare this homer screed to similar Pro-Darnold homer screens a few years ago. 

I feel like the same "pay no attention to the details, the stats, the INT's, the rest....LOOK AT THE ELITE SKILLZ!!!" was bandied about rather regularly then too.

I'm guessing we'll next see the same "Wilson has elite accuracy, better than Rodgers" just like we saw with Darnold, lol. 

I only wonder if folks will wait till he actually throws his first NFL pass before making that claim.

So now the theory is because Darnold flopped Wilson will?  It's a very silly point.  Darnold and Wilson have nothing to do with each other...

With that said,  If you insist on using them - Darnold's stats sucked, Wilson's didn't. 

Look, if you were telling me Wilson shouldn't win college QB of the year because he played sh*tty teams - I would agree.  But we're not talking about the past - we're talking about how he projects as an NFL QB.

I've asked this of everyone - instead of arguing about who he played and the past, show me what's wrong with his game? What part of his skill-set won't work in the NFL?  Why is he going to fail? beyond the "well he played bad teams" nonsense.  That has been proven over and over again to be irrelevant.

For the record and I had Mayfield 1 and Allen 2.  Hated Rosen.  Really liked Sam too and was happy to get him when we did - jumped on his bandwagon when we got him.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Mac Jones is a 1 year wonder also. 

With the same number of starts in his career that Trey Lance does - and yet hes a day 1 starter and Lance needs a year.

I understand very clearly that every one of us has become completely jaded with this franchise.  Its not just Sam or Macagnan, since the Rex AFC Championship years this organization has never had any sense of competent direction.  HC/GM not on the same page.  Owner thinking things like Tim Tebow are a good idea.  Getting stuck with second tier coaches and having to overpay free agents.  Its been a disaster.

But the thing about luck is that good luck tends to happen AFTER youve done the little things to capitalize on good fortune if it comes your way.  In the last 18 months, this organization has found a GM who understands how to run an organization, a HC who knows how to build a culture and who brought an innovative offensive staff with him and at the same time the incompetent ownership has finally faded into the background and let the football people run the football.  Those are all things that could be the foundation that should we luck into a QB, will allow the team to be really successful.

As far as the analysis of the player, every knock on Wilson is essentially low hanging fruit.  

• Easy schedule  - did that affect Mahomes?
  • One year wonder - I guess no one has heard of Baker, Kyler or Joe Burrow
  • Too small - Kyler is shorter and lighter
  • Bad attitude - still not sure where this has even come from

The bust rate is basically 50% for first round QBs so im not going to pretend to definitively know which of these guys are good or not, but Wilson plays QB with some elite physical skills and yet people pick him apart as frail at 6'2 214 as if he was 6'3 221 it would make any sort of difference.  I personally think his work ethic and skill set can translate to the NFL and for once we have a Staff and Personnel dept to surround him with what he needs, so yes, im excited for zach wilson.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

So now the theory is because Darnold flopped Wilson will?  It's a very silly point.  Darnold and Wilson have nothing to do with each other...

With that said,  If you insist on using them - Darnold's stats sucked, Wilson's didn't. 

Look, if you were telling me Wilson shouldn't win college QB of the year because he played sh*tty teams - I would agree.  But we're not talking about the past - we're talking about how he projects as an NFL QB.

I've asked this of everyone - instead of arguing about who he played and the past, show me what's wrong with his game? What part of his skill-set won't work in the NFL?  Why is he going to fail? beyond the "well he played bad teams" nonsense.  That has been proven over and over again to be irrelevant.

Many fans distrust the process mainly because we haven't had a legitimate QB in decades and some would suggest a generation.  Last two I'd consider decent was a young Kenny O and Broadway Joe.  We get jaded.  Darnold had questions coming and so does Wilson.  The better question is the organization in a better position to promote his development?  We can all argue, but right now we like Joe D as far as he's built draft capital but we have yet to see his picks develop.  I'm hoping there is better synergy between this coaching staff and the FO.  

Wilson is a solid pick.  If anything, the national media is trying very hard to dissuade Joe D from making him the pick.  We'll see what happens on Thursday, but I for one is hoping we can build a team around him where we (Jets fans) can appreciate/applaud the team.

• Upvote 1

The bar has been set so low for Wilson coming in after the Sanchez, Genos, Hackenberg and Darnolds of the world that he almost has to be better by default. I’m almost happy for all the negativity some of you have because I think this kid is gonna be a stud. Can’t wait to see you all come around on him LOL 

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The bar has been set so low for Wilson coming in after the Sanchez, Genos, Hackenberg and Darnolds of the world that he almost has to be better by default. I’m almost happy for all the negativity some of you have because I think this kid is gonna be a stud. Can’t wait to see you all come around on him LOL 

They won’t. The excuse will be “I SAID IF HES HEALTHY AND WE PROTECT HIM AND PROVIDE WEAPONS HED BE GOOD I DIDNT SAY HE SUCKED”

• Upvote 1