Chris Simms mock has Justin Fields going to TB at #32

GreenReaper

I have stated before that this will be an unprecedented draft in that I think there is a good chance all 5 are successful in the NFL, but if I were to pick the one most likely to bust it would be Fields. There are not that many QBs with slow releases that do well in the NFL. He is situationally poor. He fell apart against pressure several times.

But more than that he seems to be aloof and arrogant and I get the feeling he is just bombing the Zoom meetings. I do not think he will drop that far but the NFL does not view Fields like the talking heads media does.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Who's "smearing" him?

If you listened to the media you would think he's the second coming.  The only bad things you hear is that NFL teams aren't as high on him as others or that some might have thought.

Chris Simms thinking he's going to drop the end of the first round is not a smear, it's not even close to smear.   Chris Simms has opinions that are often contrary to the ESPN narrative and with QB's he's more often right than wrong.  He loved Watson and Jackson much more than the regular talking heads and was beaten up for it.  Of course, proven right.

He's going to say what he believes.  You might not like his opinions - that's certainly your right - but there's nothing and I mean NOTHING here to think it's a smear job or that it's anything than what he truly believes.

Fair enough points you're making. 

And I'll reserve my opinions about Simms until after the draft.  See how much Fields falls.  If Fields is taken in the first half of this draft.  That's a huge difference than what Simms so called expertise claims teams are going to do.  Yes he is knowledgeable.   Especially you would think on QB.   

You know very well I'm not a Fields cultist.  And actually have slightly preferred Wilson over him.  And posted so.  

Like everyone...I've been following the QB situation.  And weighing the pros and cons of these prospects. So yea...I'm on board with Wilson. 

I've said my piece...said how I feel about media bias and talking heads agenda's.  I never trust the media...owned by the billionaire class.  And many are flunkies that work in it.  And prefer sports blogs and fan made publications anytime over mainstream media.  Be it the sports variety or political.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have stated before that this will be an unprecedented draft in that I think there is a good chance all 5 are successful in the NFL, but if I were to pick the one most likely to bust it would be Fields. There are not that many QBs with slow releases that do well in the NFL. He is situationally poor. He fell apart against pressure several times.

But more than that he seems to be aloof and arrogant and I get the feeling he is just bombing the Zoom meetings. I do not think he will drop that far but the NFL does not view Fields like the talking heads media does.

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Same dude that had Trubisky over Mahomes/Watson?  Burrow over Herbert?  Same dude that said gun to head, he'd actually take Lawrence over Wilson even though he has Wilson ranked higher?

Seems legit

He didn't say that he'd take Lawrence over Wilson just that he would understand them doing so. He says he's the safer prospect with the higher floor so for a GM worried about job security it definitely makes sense. No one will blame a GM for picking the supposedly generation Lawrence regardless of what happens but if he passes on him incorrectly it will be an all time blunder.

Burrow over Herbert was pretty much unanimous and Burrow has been pretty good. That's not a miss at all. Neither is clearly better than the other.

He said Mahomes was by far the most talented player in the draft - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705937-simms-spotlight-patrick-mahomes-is-2017-nfl-drafts-most-special-qb-talent - Again not a miss and a desperate reach to find something to attack him with. His rankings have been good. Better than yours. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He didn't say that he'd take Lawrence over Wilson just that he would understand them doing so. He says he's the safer prospect with the higher floor so for a GM worried about job security it definitely makes sense. No one will blame a GM for picking the supposedly generation Lawrence regardless of what happens but if he passes on him incorrectly it will be an all time blunder.

Burrow over Herbert was pretty much unanimous and Burrow has been pretty good. That's not a miss at all. Neither is clearly better than the other.

He said Mahomes was by far the most talented player in the draft - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705937-simms-spotlight-patrick-mahomes-is-2017-nfl-drafts-most-special-qb-talent - Again not a miss and a desperate reach to find something to attack him with. His rankings have been good. Better than yours. 

Nope.  Wrong. 

Just like this year, he had Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson despite what he said about Mahomes.  Why?  Because he's full of sh*t. 

He had Burrow over Herbert.  I didnt, I had Herbert #1. 

The only example he was right and I was wrong was '18.

And he's wrong now and I'm right but I'm comfortable letting time prove me right once again.  It's fun retro'ing these threads! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Nope.  Wrong. 

Just like this year, he had Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson despite what he said about Mahomes.  Why?  Because he's full of sh*t. 

He had Burrow over Herbert.  I didnt, I had Herbert #1. 

The only example he was right and I was wrong was '18.

And he's wrong now and I'm right but I'm comfortable letting time prove me right once again.  It's fun retro'ing these threads! 

Haha. So bitter. 

My favorite thing about the Fields sliding silliness is the reactions in this thread.  hardy-har-har- "the NFL doesnt value Fields the way the fans/media blah blah blah blah blah"

you dont know sh*t.  This all smoke screens and conjecture bull sh*t.  And who do you think is "leaking" this garbage to you? Can someone send me a link to a current GM or Head Coaches rankings?

lmfao

13 minutes ago, undertow said:

Chris Simms is clearly racist- every ESPN personality. 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

lol pretty much

I said it before, watch Fields fall, Trey Lance go Top 5 and dipsh*ts like Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman will still make it a race issue.

cool andy samberg GIF

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

lol pretty much

I said it before, watch Fields fall, Trey Lance go Top 5 and dipsh*ts like Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman will still make it a race issue.

I'll never forget after Jones was taken over Haskins they spent a week calling the Giants organization racist. lol  Thankfully I gave up all that sh*t over the past few years.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Fair enough points you're making. 

And I'll reserve my opinions about Simms until after the draft.  See how much Fields falls.  If Fields is taken in the first half of this draft.  That's a huge difference than what Simms so called expertise claims teams are going to do.  Yes he is knowledgeable.   Especially you would think on QB.   

You know very well I'm not a Fields cultist.  And actually have slightly preferred Wilson over him.  And posted so.  

Like everyone...I've been following the QB situation.  And weighing the pros and cons of these prospects. So yea...I'm on board with Wilson. 

I've said my piece...said how I feel about media bias and talking heads agenda's.  I never trust the media...owned by the billionaire class.  And many are flunkies that work in it.  And prefer sports blogs and fan made publications anytime over mainstream media.  Be it the sports variety or political.  

For what it's worth I think Fields goes to the 49ers.  

We will see how the draft falls - if Fields is anywhere outside of the top 10 there's def. something real there.  I can't imagine him falling any further than that but what the hell do I know.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

True.  Then he moves him to six I believe.  

So this end up with Fields being the last player picked on his mock?   I don't buy it.  As some posters here have pointed out...Simms is trolling...deliberating mocking him as last pick of the first round.  

If Las Vegas has a under/over on Fields being picked at #32...I'm betting the House on the under.

Smear job.

It's not just Simms, there is a bunch of smoke around Fields dropping out of the 1st round entirely for whatever reason. He has mechanical issues and questionable ability to read an entire field. If he has issues with that when his WRs are running free constantly against bad college defenses how is that going to translate to the nfl? And I also think his medicals are an issue, which sucks bc its out of his control. 

I don't agree that Simms has an agenda. The same thing was said when he ranked Wilson higher than Lawrence and since then there have been a ton of "anonymous" scouts reporting that they have it ranked the same way. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

The Simms troll job of Fields is somewhat brilliant.  You fools eat it up like cake.  The guy is a full on ******* moron.

that moron has easily been the best QB talent evaluator by a large margin. Haskins threw 50 td's in that program which does not translate very well to the NFL that along with some of the flaws in Fields game is exactly why he's dropping. Fields can prove them all wrong when he gets to the NFL if he has what it takes

Who's "smearing" him?

If you listened to the media you would think he's the second coming.  The only bad things you hear is that NFL teams aren't as high on him as others or that some might have thought.

Chris Simms thinking he's going to drop the end of the first round is not a smear, it's not even close to smear.   Chris Simms has opinions that are often contrary to the ESPN narrative and with QB's he's more often right than wrong.  He loved Watson and Jackson much more than the regular talking heads and was beaten up for it.  Of course, proven right.

He's going to say what he believes.  You might not like his opinions - that's certainly your right - but there's nothing and I mean NOTHING here to think it's a smear job or that it's anything than what he truly believes.

Also,  Chris Simms is best friends with Kyle Shanahan so he's plugged in. If he believes Fields will drop and is reporting that, it's no BS. If he felt that SF was going to take him at all he wouldn't be mocking Fields to 32. And i'm going to assume that Simms and Shanahan have similar opinions on the QBs and have spoken about it. He also mocks Mac Jones to SF so you can put that discussion about who is going 3rd to bed. 

I’m one of these people who think it’s bizarre that people especially draft Twitter  are throwing tantrums because Simms doesn’t like Fields like god forbid he has a different opinion then them.

Its hard to evaluate Qbs the idea Fields can’t bust is dumb. Nobody is a lock to be good.

But I can’t see in a league that’s hungry for QB’s and Fields has some obvious physical traits that he lasts till 32.

Even if he slips some there are teams like the Bears Steelers and WFT I can’t see passing on him.

• Upvote 1

Who's "smearing" him?

Yeah I don’t get why the media some fans and especially draft evaluators are taking it sooooo personally that Simms isn’t high on Fields.

Why are people so emotionally invested in Fields?

Qb’s are hard to evaluate to act like it’s a crime against humanity if you few not high on Fields is weird to me I don’t get it

Simms does a better job then most with evaluating Qb’s. He played the position he probably looks at mechanics and other things that draft nerds who never played the position don’t look at.

12 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

I’m one of these people who think it’s bizarre that people especially draft Twitter  are throwing tantrums because Simms doesn’t like Fields like god forbid he has a different opinion then them.

Its hard to evaluate Qbs the idea Fields can’t bust is dumb. Nobody is a lock to be good.

But I can’t see in a league that’s hungry for QB’s and Fields has some obvious physical traits that he lasts till 32.

Even if he slips some there are teams like the Bears Steelers and WFT I can’t see passing on him.

That epilepsy thing is going to cause him to drop whether that seems fair or not. Epilepsy can cause immediate and short term memory loss.  Side effects can cause concentration issues which can cause issues with learning and storing new information. It may be why there have been rumors that he's having his football IQ criticized within the league. 90% of the QB position is about recall and processing. The epilepsy diagnosis only adds fuel to that narrative, unfortunately. Guys have tanked for less. 

25 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Also,  Chris Simms is best friends with Kyle Shanahan so he's plugged in. If he believes Fields will drop and is reporting that, it's no BS. If he felt that SF was going to take him at all he wouldn't be mocking Fields to 32. And i'm going to assume that Simms and Shanahan have similar opinions on the QBs and have spoken about it. He also mocks Mac Jones to SF so you can put that discussion about who is going 3rd to bed. 

You might have just saved me a bunch of money.  Was going to bet Fields going #3 - odds are pretty good, but I didn't know he was close with Kyle Shanahan.  

Also to call Simms racist is dumb he was higher on Mahomes and Watson  then most others. Had Kyler his QB1 etc.

He’s allowed to dislike a black QB without it  being racist.

This isn’t Gil Brandt or some other  old white guy who thought Lamar should  be a RB and uses coded words when describing QB’s

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You might have just saved me a bunch of money.  Was going to bet Fields going #3 - odds are pretty good, but I didn't know he was close with Kyle Shanahan.  

I didn't either until he mentioned it on his show with Peter King. I'll try to find the clip. 

**Edit** I meant Mike Florio not Peter King

6 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Yeah I don’t get why the media some fans and especially draft evaluators are taking it sooooo personally that Simms isn’t high on Fields.

Why are people so emotionally invested in Fields?

Qb’s are hard to evaluate to act like it’s a crime against humanity if you few not high on Fields is weird to me I don’t get it

Simms does a better job then most with evaluating Qb’s. He played the position he probably looks at mechanics and other things that draft nerds who never played the position don’t look at.

We are living in strange times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

It's not just Simms, there is a bunch of smoke around Fields dropping out of the 1st round entirely for whatever reason. He has mechanical issues and questionable ability to read an entire field. If he has issues with that when his WRs are running free constantly against bad college defenses how is that going to translate to the nfl? And I also think his medicals are an issue, which sucks bc its out of his control. 

I don't agree that Simms has an agenda. The same thing was said when he ranked Wilson higher than Lawrence and since then there have been a ton of "anonymous" scouts reporting that they have it ranked the same way. 

I'm aware there are issues that is causing him to drop.  I've been posting about them.  That's how I even started off this thread.  With questions and issues concerning Fields.   
But he's saved...in a most arbitrary fashion...from falling out of the 1st round by the good graces of TB?  Not needing anything there at #32 to top up the team for another Supe run.  Really?   Brady made salary sacrifices to allow a future QB to come aboard and sit around for a couple of years.  Rather then draft another piece for another Supe run.  Really?   
I'm not nieve on well thought out planned shenanigans of media agendas.  Don't matter if it's sports entertainment or politics.  Like the wild scenes we've had in last year's presidential race.   I don't trust mainstream media at all.   
Anyway...in the end we'll see where Fields gets drafted.  I'd be surprised if it's outside the middle of this draft.  
This is my post in the mega draft thread responding to Shockwave's post...

On 4/25/2021 at 9:04 PM, Shockwave said:

I personally would be very happy if SF does not pick Fields. Last thing we need as Jet Fans is comparing Fields vs Wilson Rest of our lives with Fields playing in the QB heaven in SF. 

Trust me I like Fields a-lot. But Shanahan passing on him while knowing him forever is significant. In my mind Fields is well above Lance and Mac. If SF does indeed pass on him well clearly I am wrong. 

GreenReaper: This is my response...

I think this has a lot to do with the Ohio State program and play calls that the QB is being coached to execute.  No pre-snap responsibilities.  Read and see the receiver being open before throwing it.  Rather then Read recognition and timing the throws just as the receiver is in the process of getting open.  So the QB is rarely ever in situations of having to throw receivers open.  Which is what a QB has to do in the NFL.  On the average...a NFL pass play needs to be executed in like no more then 2.5 seconds.  Because the pass rush and coverage is just so much better then college ball.  

There must be other things besides this that's making Fields fall.  Like his throwing motion and mechanics.  But the OS playbook is definitely a part of it.  IMO the way Haskins has busted...has become added baggage that Fields has to carry...unfairly for sure. 

Talented QB prospects should stay away from the Ohio State program.  Avoid it like its a

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We are living in strange times.

I think Sims crazy negatives on Fields are over the top.

Fields was terrific in 2019.

Big ten cancelled the season in 2020, shutdown all football activities .

Then after the Sec played every week and made the politically motivated Big Ten look bad they brought back the season, starting OCT 24 but  with very strict Covid practice protocols.

When Bama beat an injured Fields in the championship game they finished 13-0, Ohio State played 6 regular season games, 2 with many players missing but they didn’t cancel because they needed 6 games to remain eligible.

it was a ridiculous season and still Fields , personally destroyed Trevor Lawrence and Clemson in the semi final game.

Sims is being ridiculous.

if he said he liked the top 2 better and thought Lance had more future upside than Fields fine but a guy who went 20-2,  at 6’2+ and 228 lbs running 4.4 and using that speed on the field to extend plays and run for first downs , completing 70% of his throws throwing deep with a canon for an arm  is suddenly a bad prospect, after playing at least good if not great in this crazy Covid year , is trying to make a point, not be a scout.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

My favorite thing about the Fields sliding silliness is the reactions in this thread.  hardy-har-har- "the NFL doesnt value Fields the way the fans/media blah blah blah blah blah"

you dont know sh*t.  This all smoke screens and conjecture bull sh*t.  And who do you think is "leaking" this garbage to you? Can someone send me a link to a current GM or Head Coaches rankings?

lmfao

So when Fields falls for real, does that means all those teams went method actor too far, so far that they actually passed on Fields to smokescreen the sh*t out of it?

5 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Then after the Sec played every week and made the politically motivated Big Ten look bad they brought back the season, starting OCT 24 but  with very strict Covid practice protocols.

When Bama beat an injured Fields in the championship game they finished 13-0, Ohio State played 6 regular season games, 2 with many players missing but they didn’t cancel because they needed 6 games to remain eligible.

it was a ridiculous season and still Fields , personally destroyed Trevor Lawrence and Clemson in the semi final game.

if he said he liked the top 2 better and thought Lance had more future upside than Fields fine but a guy who went 20-2,  at 6’2+ and 228 lbs running 4.4 and using that speed on the field to extend plays and run for first downs , completing 70% of his throws throwing deep with a canon for an arm  is suddenly a bad prospect, after playing at least good if not great in this crazy Covid year , is trying to make a point, not be a scout.

How is Simms criticism over the top?

he didn’t say anything negative about his leadership or progressions it was more  about his mechanics reactions to blitzes etc none of those stats or wins you listed takes away what he said.

Simply putting up great stats and winning a lot  in college doesn’t mean it will translate tonthe pros.

Tebow and Vince Young put up monster stats and won tons of games it doesn’t make them great pros.

Im not comparing Fields to them my point is those things don’t mean anything on the pro level 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i would take a shot at Joe Tryon at 34 if we take an OL at 23. he has an impressive physical profile, but he is kind of a crapshoot because of the opt out and because he isnt a finished product.

I'm not particularly married to certain names but the idea of Edge / OL or OL / Edge at 23 / 34 is exactly what I want to see.  That seems to be a sweet spot for both those groups.  Any mix of Kwity Paye, Rousseau, Ronnie Perkins, and maybe Tryon with Vera-Tucker, Jenkins, Eichenberg, etc. would be great.

It's up to Joe D to navigate that value and figure out which to hit first but that seems like the perfect mix of value, need and talent in that 23-34 range.

3 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

I think you're looking at stats and that's what ESPN does - what NFL GM's, coaches and scouts do is look at how their individual skill-sets and determine how that translates to the NFL.

There seems to be legitimate concerns about how Fields talent will translate.

We really don't know what's going to happen Thursday, but if he falls there is a football reason for it.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I think you're looking at stats and that's what ESPN does - what NFL GM's, coaches and scouts do is look at how their individual skill-sets and determine how that translates to the NFL.

There seems to be legitimate concerns about how Fields talent will translate.

We really don't know what's going to happen Thursday, but if he falls there is a football reason for it.

I’m a huge Wisconsin fan and therefore a big ten fan, I saw Fields in person in 2019 and on the tube at least 8-10 times and think he’s a great prospect, the epilepsy thing threw me for a loop though, it can be an issue, the meds are strong but if he can master that, I think he moves in the pocket, creates time and sees the field at a very high level, runs great and throws with velo and accuracy.

I add the stats because they support what my eyes told me.