Pauline: Jets could pick RB in first or second rounds

RB is one position where a good player can impact the team right away. Not sure about taking one in first round, but second would be ok. Especially if somehow Najee Harris is there in round 2 (doubtful). Javonte Williams will be there I think.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, jetblue95 said:

this

i think the need is more dire to add a RB than a WR.  so as long as the o-line is addressed with one of these picks, i'd be fine adding a RB with the other.  the draft is supposedly deep in slot WRs, so that can be addressed later.  you have davis and mims as young WRs already locked in for the future.  

i'm not sold on the RB room, although i liked coleman as a veteran addition.  i understand RBs can be found anywhere in the draft, so i'm not pounding the table for them to take one early.  i'd prefer to take the OL in the 1st and RB in the 2nd, but good chance the top 2 RBs are off the board before the 2nd.

I would be surprised if the jets used their first 3 picks on offense.  Odds are rb does not get addressed until round 3 or later.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets aren't going to be looking to have four rookie starters on opening day. Jebus, talk about getting Zach Wilson murderized... 

I hate the talk of a RB high. I hope their meetings with these guys was just a smoke screen. Love to see them both gone by #22. That would be a dream draft for me. Let other teams make the mistake of drafting a RB high, and push the more valuable players down to #23 & #34. 

If those 4 rookies are better than the vets we have - then it's a better team.

Either on of those backs at 34 would be an amazing get.  RT, RB....

Now at 66 you go G/C and hope they're better than GVR....

I honestly don't get this hate of RB's - it's like one year someone said RB's aren't important and then we all just started repeating it.  They are important and are even more so when you're trying to develop  future franchise QB.

• Upvote 1

Listening to Rex Hogan and Phil Savage on the Jets podcast it is clear what determines who they draft. They mentioned more than once that the amount of talent available at the position determines how they go. If they like a lot of guys at a certain position they may forego the opportunity to pick their highest rated player to pick a lower rated player at a position with less guys they like. Its a flawed reasoning but that's their philosophy. Running back it is then......

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Other than Zach, the only position on offense ripe for rookies is RB.

they love George Fant and Connor McGovern way more than we do. 

Dan Feeney will likely start at LG after they cut Alex Lewis 

Right guard is being stacked in favor of GVR/Cam Clark and they signed every tight end under the sun. 

Not been funny, but why did we have a big offer for Thuney if we were happy with the guard position? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Barkus said:

RB is one position where a good player can impact the team right away. Not sure about taking one in first round, but second would be ok. Especially if somehow Najee Harris is there in round 2 (doubtful). Javonte Williams will be there I think.

The philosophy is that you don't take RBs in the top 10 anymore. Even if they are Saquon. But once you get to the end of the first round, early second there is really nothing terribly wrong going RB. Not my first choice, but still better than going defense (for this team). 

47 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If the 1st three picks were:  QB, RB, OG I wouldn't be mad at all.

I know you can get running back production without drafting a RB high. But damn some star power on this team would be nice. Some real explosiveness!

I'd be down with this as well.  Some players to get excited about on offense.  Whens the last time that happened... and don't tell me Mims.

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

boundary cb 

Jarrad Davis has only played inside in NFL games. Could he play SLB? Maybe. But he's never done it. 

the Jets are not self evaluating correctly. They probably have higher opinions on their OL than we do, and think their TE room is amazing 

Ty Johnson is a nice player and he's faster than what they had but he's still somewhat slow for the Matt Breida/Raheem Mostert they want for the outside zone

perine and the others will be cut before opening day, even if they don't go with a high pick they will find a guy off of SF waivers they like better 

I never wanted Perine but GMs don’t cut 4th rd draft picks easily and Ty Johnson is very fast.

Just now, slats said:

And that rookie RB better be solid in pass protection, otherwise he's a two-down player. 

No. You have a rookie head coach, rookie OC, and rookie QB. Add maybe a rookie G,  

Sermon can pass block day 1

Harris and Etienne are both spotty 

2 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

I never wanted Perine but GMs don’t cut 4th rd draft picks easily and Ty Johnson is very fast.

Ty johnson has a place in this offense we agree but it's probably not as RB1 

Perine at 4.6 I don't see how he fits with this scheme at all 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I know you can get running back production without drafting a RB high. But damn some star power on this team would be nice. Some real explosiveness!

Agreed, after #2 the picks to give as much of a helping hand to the QB would likely be best even if on D we give up more points then we would like, though regardless if even if our CBs are of the JV level, Saleh hopefully can scheme around that till we get some better players on D like Rex initially did. So with picks #23/#34 it would be good if they are BAP on O with 1 being an IOL and the other probably being a RB, unless at one of those picks an unbelievable talent drops to us a WR or TE. 

53 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This.  

Wilson/Harris/Leatherwood (OL)?

Or Wilson/Harris/Marshall (WR) with OL in the 4th & 5th maybe?

Yeah, not complaining in either scenario.

• Upvote 3

Running back is the easiest position for a rookie to succeed in.

If you are bringing in a rookie QB, you need to help him succeed.  A running back doesn't just help in the running game (duh), he can also help with short, safe passes setting up 2nd and 3rd and manageable downs.

Originally I wanted a trade down, with either Pitts or Sowell, and then Harris at 23.  JD didn't listen to me for some reason, despite the fact that I know nothing about the draft.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

And that rookie RB better be solid in pass protection, otherwise he's a two-down player. 

No. You have a rookie head coach, rookie OC, and rookie QB. Add maybe a rookie G, and that's already probably too many. This is why I didn't even want the rookie QB this year. Everyone from Saleh on down is learning on the job. The rookie QB alone is a huge job, you want to work three more rookies into the new offense? That's insanity. Seriously. No team starts that many rookies on one side of the ball. It will get your QB killed. 

Parcells used to say figure one loss for every rookie starter. Four rookie starters could put the Jets into 1-win territory this year if that were to hold true. 

RB is the lowest valued non-kicker position in football. Below safety. It's not a position to spend a premium pick on, especially a team that has vacancies at Edge, WR, & CB. There will be RBs available on the street in October that can help the team. That won't be true of Edge rushers unless the player in question is a woman-beating psychopath (in which case, I'd imagine we'd pass). 

2021 Franchise and Transition Tenders

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $25,104,000 $23,106,000
DE $16,069,000 $12,926,000
WR $15,983,000 $14,340,000
CB $15,060,000 $13,294,000
LB $14,791,000 $12,716,000
DT $13,888,000 $11,752,000
OL $13,754,000 $12,657,000
S $10,612,000 $9,052,000
TE $9,601,000 $8,182,000
RB $8,655,000 $7,217,000
ST $4,482,000 $4,068,000

Two things here..

The Jets are not a normal situation.

The 2020 Jets were literally the least talented team I've ever seen - particularly on offense.  I can honestly say i can't remember an offense with less talent.  So having more rookies than you would normally like to see is what you might need to do to pull yourself up.  

In a vacuum those data points about RB might make sense, but the Jets aren't in a Vacuum - they are still the least talented offense in the league even after adding a #2 WR.   You're about to bing in a rookie, #2 overall QB - who it seems the team has already determined will be starting.   You must do everything in your power to help develop him.  One of those two RB's would be invaluable to Wilson's development.  You can live with the short shelf life of a RB if you have him for 5 years and he helps develops our QB who you'll have for 15 years.

I think fundamentally you and I simply view how to build the roster differently.  I think developing our QB should be the ONLY priority, nothing else should really matters - every thing the Jets do should be about supporting Zach Wilson. 

Every situation is different, it's not a one size fits all league.  In this situation taking a RB at 34 makes a ton of sense.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

This is where I’m at. Just give me some ****ing excitement. 

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I honestly don't know about Harris' blocking, but I have been very impressed with his pass catching.

my source is Waldman's RSP 

he says Sermon never took a hit from a defensive lineman in the backfield his entire career 

"this is a reflection of his ability to read blocks, identify penetration and make efficient moves (jump cuts) to avoid hits"

he has Sermon pro comping to Todd Gurley

as for Harris his receiving is identified as a strength and Matt grades him as a rich man's Chris Carson. 

fwiw @slats Javonte Williams NC is known as the best pass protector in the class and also fits in that 2nd rd window as a Mark Ingram pro comp 

43 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Interesting...just saw this article about Williams. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941427-nfl-exec-javonte-williams-is-best-rb-in-nfl-draft-over-najee-harris-etienne

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

The latest from Tony Pauline:

Are the New York Jets targeting a running back?

(8:45 AM ET) Don’t count out the New York Jets taking a running back with either the 23rd or 34th pick. While I’ve dismissed this possibility in the past, despite previously reporting the team has a high grade on Najee Harris, I’m told the Jets feel there is a big drop off after Harris, Travis Etienne, and Javonte Williams. The Jets see all three of those running backs as plug-and-play-type ball carriers.

What positions are the Jets targeting on the first two days of the NFL Draft?

(10:45 AM ET) It will come as a surprise to no one, but the New York Jets will look to address the cornerback and receiver positions early in the draft. From what’s coming out of Florham Park, the feeling is the Jets won’t use their second first-round pick on a cornerback, but rather wait until Day 2.

Errant speculation with back door phrasing like "don't count out".... the fck does that mean. The only thing you can count out is a QB after 2 - and even then, Washington. 

Garbage take. Short an RB they have a 1st rnd grade slipping deep into the 2nd - in a scenario where the Jets trade back from #34 - it's not gonna happen. Incredibly unlikely IMO

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, slats said:

No. You have a rookie head coach, rookie OC, and rookie QB. Add maybe a rookie G, and that's already probably too many. This is why I didn't even want the rookie QB this year. Everyone from Saleh on down is learning on the job. The rookie QB alone is a huge job, you want to work three more rookies into the new offense? That's insanity. Seriously. No team starts that many rookies on one side of the ball. It will get your QB killed. 

Parcells used to say figure one loss for every rookie starter. Four rookie starters could put the Jets into 1-win territory this year if that were to hold true. 

well the rookie HC and OC aren't on the field.  not sure why they count as one of the 4 rookies on offense.

but it seems your preference would be to go with hoyer (or fill-in-the-blank vet QB) and run back the same o-line and RB group as last year?  does that add to more than 3 wins?  

i'd rather take lumps with rookies getting on-field experience than has-beens/never-has-beens stinking up the joint

There is the distinct whiff of bullcrap about this report, 2 days before the draft.

Jets have run the tightest of tight ships all offseason, now all of a sudden they are telling Tony Pauline which position they are targeting at pick 23?

I'm still thinking OL, edge or possibly WR are the most likely targets. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

There is the distinct whiff of bullcrap about this report, 2 days before the draft.

Jets have run the tightest of tight ships all offseason, now all of a sudden they are telling Tony Pauline which position they are targeting at pick 23?

I'm still thinking OL, edge or possibly WR are the most likely targets. 

You will be proven correct.