Pauline: Jets could pick RB in first or second rounds

20 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I would typically advocate for taking a RB in the mid rounds, but recent history suggests that may not be the best approach.

In the past few years, the late first and early second rounds have been a bit of a sweet spot for some of the best game changing running backs in the NFL today.  This is where players like Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Josh Jacobs, Nick Chubb, and Dalvin Cook are being drafted.

The Jets drafted high athleticism players last year, and I expect them to continue to do so this year.  Etienne and Harris fit the mold.  I think both of them are going to be great NFL players, and maybe for once, the Jets will take a high profile RB and take advantage of young, fresh legs instead of giving out big second contracts to players with wear on their tires.

I would be completely happy with QB, RB, and WR being the first three positions drafted by the Jets.  It would certainly be a breath of fresh air and show a dedication to building around the new rookie QB putting him in the best position to succeed.

Joe Douglas is going to continue building up the OL, but from everything I have read, there should be some great value for zone blocking OL in the mid rounds, and I expect him to take advantage of the deep class.

Taking one isn’t bad and it gives you a top talent especially if it’s a Kamara type in the passing game. Issues come when it’s time to pay them. If the Jets take Ettine and squeeze everything out of him for 4/5 years and let him walk it’s a great success. Never works out that way. 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Brady Christiansen is going to be 25 years old in September 

he's the Nathan Shepherd of the OL 

I hear you.  But if he is good, he can still be an 8 year starter.  What's wrong with that?  If we are in dire need in the 3rd round, and we still haven't picked our O linemen by then, then he could be a real possibility.

46 minutes ago, flgreen said:

24 when the season starts 

his birthday is sept 27th 

which means he's 25 by week 4 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I hear you.  But if he is good, he can still be an 8 year starter.  What's wrong with that?  If we are in dire need in the 3rd round, and we still haven't picked our O linemen by then, then he could be a real possibility.

he's not really that good and neither is BYU to draft all their players like connor hughes wants 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

his birthday is sept 27th 

which means he's 25 by week 4 

he's not really that good and neither is BYU to draft all their players like connor hughes wants 

I agree with you he's not that good.  He was pushed around by Jeffery Gunter in the Coastal Carolina game.  Wasn't impressed.   

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I have such a hard time believing the Jets would take a RB in round 1. I do believe that Etienne is the top RB on their board, followed by Javonte Williams. I think their 3rd RB is Michael Carter, not Najee Harris. 

If Harris is on the board at 23, its going to be a long 10 minutes.  I will be happy if we take him but also wont mind if we pass on him for oline.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Harris is on the board at 23, its going to be a long 10 minutes.  I will be happy if we take him but also wont mind if we pass on him for oline.

I will be really upset with a RB in round 1, and I'm getting nervous with the amount of insiders who are linking us to Etienne at 23. Does having a good RB help a young QB tremendously? Yes. And I get that teams see Etienne as a Kamara clone, but I'd much rather see the team go committee approach and grab a guy on day 2 while utilizing those top 50 resources on more significant positions. I do realize it's a poor RB class, but Michael Carter is a really good player who should be there in the 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I will be really upset with a RB in round 1, and I'm getting nervous with the amount of insiders who are linking us to Etienne at 23. Does having a good RB help a young QB tremendously? Yes. And I get that teams see Etienne as a Kamara clone, but I'd much rather see the team go committee approach and grab a guy on day 2 while utilizing those top 50 resources on more significant positions. I do realize it's a poor RB class, but Michael Carter is a really good player who should be there in the 3rd. 

You say this but after we take harris at 23 and oline at 34, come August you are going to be juiced that we beefed up the oline and have Najae Harris ready to run down peoples throats.

Total excitement for the running game and the offense as a whole if hes the pick.

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You say this but after we take harris at 23 and oline at 34, come August you are going to be juiced that we beefed up the oline and have Najae Harris ready to run down peoples throats.

Total excitement for the running game and the offense as a whole if hes the pick.

Don't get me wrong, I can easily see myself growing on it even if it goes against all logical team-building philosophy. RB is my favorite position, I used to play it, and as a 8x fantasy football champion, my entire strategy is drafting as many RBs as possible lol. But it's such a replaceable position, and it's not one I'd be investing a 1st round pick in. I can't rationally be in favor of it, but I can rationalize that a back like that in the wide zone... might be the first time the Jets have a fantasy-relevant skill-player since Thomas Jones. 

Also, if we do go RB, Etienne. I want a home-run hitter, not Matt Forte in a bigger body. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

Don't get me wrong, I can easily see myself growing on it even if it goes against all logical team-building philosophy. RB is my favorite position, I used to play it, and as a 8x fantasy football champion, my entire strategy is drafting as many RBs as possible lol. But it's such a replaceable position, and it's not one I'd be investing a 1st round pick in. I can't rationally be in favor of it, but I can rationalize that a back like that in the wide zone... might be the first time the Jets have a fantasy-relevant skill-player since Thomas Jones. 

Also, if we do go RB, Etienne. I want a home-run hitter, not Matt Forte in a bigger body. 

I feel pretty much the same. Been watching the team 45 years and the last time the Jets had a fast, play-making stud running back was .... never? McNeil and Martin were both blue collar grinders, not home run hitters. Drafting an Etienne in round one wouldn’t be playing things by the book, but it sure would ratchet up the excitement factor, which is fine with me. And if, in that case, the Jets go OL at #34, all would be good. 

I hope that Douglas realises, as a former offensive lineman, that to win in this league, you need to win in the trenches. Mahomes was left looking mortal against Tampa Bay when Reid had to start the backups. Ignore the shiny new toy of a Harris or Etienne, especially in the first round, and draft the blue collar grinder on the offensive line, be it Vera-Tucker or Jenkins or whomever. Grab a running back in the third or fourth round if you must, but the premium picks in the first round should be used on players in premium positions, namely offensive line.

52 minutes ago, football guy said:

When me and my buddies do Fantasy Mocks I always mock some random guy I would never take at my spot. I always put the guy I want right around my pick. 

Daniel Jeremiah does that with the Jets. He has us taking Etienne which essentially means theres no chance we are taking him there. Jeremiah has Jenkins right after us to the Steelers for months now. Coincidence? Doubt it. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2021 at 10:51 AM, long time suffering Jets f said:

Thats what I want to see. If there are no trade ups/downs take the best available OL at 23. With the 34th pick you take Harris or Etienne. My personal preference is Harris if he’s still there.

If the jets take Harris at 23, i think they create a run (pun intended) on RBs as teams try to ensure they get either Etienne or Williams. Then when 34 comes around an O lineman might have fallen to the jets or if one of the other 2 RBs falls to 34, then JD might trade back with a team that wants the RB at 34. . . . The possibilities are astounding and forcing a run on RBs by taking Harris at 23 would show that JD owns draft day.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:45 AM, Maxman said:

If the 1st three picks were:  QB, RB, OG I wouldn't be mad at all.

I know you can get running back production without drafting a RB high. But damn some star power on this team would be nice. Some real explosiveness!

I got just the guy. Yea someone with some gallop. 

74BF26D5-7EED-4FD9-866D-B41D9936B8F2.gif

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'd rather go RB than: Edge, S, WR, TE, LB.  CB would be about equal.

Oline is way above all other positions.

JD was an OL. Not a WR not RB not a LB not a CB.  He went OL with the 1st pick last year. He’ll be forced to go OL at 23 after taking Wilson @ 2 to protect him. He’ll go OL with his 1st pick next year. He is hell bent on improving this OL. 

On 4/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, Pac said:

If you're going to give the ball to Zap then you have to give him someone in the backfield opposing d's have to think about.  Coleman and Adams ain't it.  Seems pretty obvious.

We have bigger needs to fill than RB. The top draft picks will go to OL, WR, CB, LB. We just cut like 3-4 LB’s off the roster didn’t we. There’s some good RB’s that will be there in round 4.

7 hours ago, Shockwave said:

When me and my buddies do Fantasy Mocks I always mock some random guy I would never take at my spot. I always put the guy I want right around my pick. 

Daniel Jeremiah does that with the Jets. He has us taking Etienne which essentially means theres no chance we are taking him there. Jeremiah has Jenkins right after us to the Steelers for months now. Coincidence? Doubt it. 

I kind of feel the same. There’s just so much smoke right now hard to know what to believe. 

I do think the Jets want a RB. Either one of the top guys (I’ll include Michael Carter in the top 4) or just wait until day 3. One way or another I figured it would be TE (Freiermuth), DE (Perkins), or RB (Etienne/Williams) in round 2 with OL or DE in round 1, but didn’t feel like any of those guys would be worth #34... more likely a trade down scenario (#34 for #48, #79). 

8 hours ago, football guy said:

I like etienne but to me, Najee is special. I felt the same way about Cook and was screaming at the tv when we took Maye. 

I hear ya FG. Maybe RB is not ideal at 23, however, consider this. If you believe Najee is elite as I do, and he’s the only elite prospect available at 23, you need to take him. I also understand trying to get by with a stable of RBs, but play action works A LOT better if teams are terrified of the guy in the backfield, just ask Tannehill if he agrees. I believe Najee to be that guy that will put fear in the hearts of teams and they will have to game plan for him. 

Najee is a day 1 starter and heavy contributor at 23. Not sure what else you can ask for.

23 is a frustrating spot for the Jets in the draft. If they really want OL I think they will have to  trade up to get him. There could be a run on CBs before our pick as well. Could come down to best RB or WR at 23 or even linebacker. Don't see edge there which means that is what we pick. I still think we trade up in round 1 and then down in round 2. The first 2 picks are usually pretty valuable in the second round after the board resets

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  Qb at 2.  Oline at 23.  Either harris, etienne or williams at 34.

Im good with this as well.  It would really give the offense a base to work from and then JD can find a cover OLB, CB and TE in the 3rd/4th round and I think it really fills this team out.

10 hours ago, football guy said:

if the lineman they are targeting are gone, as are paye and the top CBs, i'd rather them take a RB at 23 and address the o-line at 34 then them take a WR at 23.  the need for an elite RB is more dire than another WR.  so if they are seeking to get zach weapons and the linemen they want are gone (and they don't want to reach for the next tier), then grab an elite play-maker.

i too like carter a lot.  don't think he makes it to the 3rd.  maybe they could trade into 2nd to grab him.

Given how desperate we were last year for WR talent and the fact that JD was still like "Meh, I will trade down and take whatever falls to me" leads me to think he would do the same at RB especially given the fact that between 23 and 35 you will easily get one of the top 2/3 RBs anyway. 

Last years RB class was pretty good. The only one taken in the 1st round was CEH and he was arguably the most disappointing (Swift, Taylor, Akers, Gibson all look like better RBs and all were taken in the 2nd/3rd.) That doesn't mean he won't take a RB in the first, just that I don't think it would be at 23. 

The Pendulum has swung and RBs are actually being undervalued no imo.  I am still in the camp of wanting Oline at 23 and 34 but if not oline the jets are in a sweet spot for getting one of the top RBs.

I also do not buy that you can just plug any RB at all into an offense and do well.  Yeah there are the James Robinsons out there bit there are also a lot of elijah mccguares and lamichal perines.

There are a LOT of NFL offense that rely on their RBs to make their offense effective and a lot for these guys were no low picks and FAs and such.

Derrick Henry - 2nd round

Dalvin Cook - 2nd round

Jonathan Taylor - 2nd round

Nick Chubb - 2nd round

Mixon, McCaffery, Ronald Jones

I'd much rather take one of the top backs at 23 or more likely 34 than a LB, 2nd tier pass rusher, 2nd tier Wr

On 4/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, Leftylarry said:

I’m not buying in there, Ty Johnson fits what they want to do , they drafted Perine who can catch and ADams and Coleman are there for a reason also, I don’t agree that they will draft a RB that high.

Additionally, don’t  be surprised if Etienne is taken by Jax maybe at #25 or for sure at #33 , they have a boatload of picks and Etienne would make TL very comfy back there so he probably won’t be there at #34 either.

You were right on this.

It's still a stupid pick.

13 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Given how desperate we were last year for WR talent and the fact that JD was still like "Meh, I will trade down and take whatever falls to me" leads me to think he would do the same at RB especially given the fact that between 23 and 35 you will easily get one of the top 2/3 RBs anyway. 

Last years RB class was pretty good. The only one taken in the 1st round was CEH and he was arguably the most disappointing (Swift, Taylor, Akers, Gibson all look like better RBs and all were taken in the 2nd/3rd.) That doesn't mean he won't take a RB in the first, just that I don't think it would be at 23. 

Last year was a rudderless ship with Gase.  This is an organized team with a real plan. JD, saleh and lafleur are all on the same page with each and every pick 

• Upvote 1