John Beck talks to/about Zach & The Jets

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This x 1000000

Kids sounds scared and spoiled. Unreal.

I can't recall any QB prospect ever being this whiney about his potential landing spot. I know some prospects have genuinely not wanted to play in some places, but this is next-level millenial entitlement and spoiled brat type cowardice.

Trade back. He's not for us... this isn't NY tough. This is Charmin buttwipe soft.

This post is embarrassing. 

Jets fans are such freaking drama queens.

Like Zach Wilson hasn’t said anything lol and you’re fabricating an entire narrative. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jets had the worst Gms in the league for like 7 years. By far the worst coach the league for two years. A dismal oline and no weapons. Showing concern about the Jets is smart and me

I've never seen so much fear surrounding a supposed top QB going to a particular team. Man the F up and believe you're good enough to succeed no matter where you're headed. I have yet to hea

This interview was 98% positive regarding Wilson to the Jets.  I don't know what some of you listened to and/or heard - or how your minds work to find the absolute negative in everything.  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, mfmartin said:

John Elway and Eli Manning refused to play for the teams that drafted them.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

John Elway had already been drafted by the Yankees. He had legit options.

Eli was NFL royalty.

What is Wilson going to do besides play for the Jets and say yes sir and no sir like a good little trooper?

He’s a Jet. It’s happening.

Roughly 45 hours and we can put all of this silly sh*t to bed for good.

John Elway had already been drafted by the Yankees. He had legit options.
Eli was NFL royalty.
What is Wilson going to do besides play for the Jets and say yes sir and no sir like a good little trooper?
He’s a Jet. It’s happening.
Roughly 45 hours and we can put all of this silly sh*t to bed for good.

Oh I’m not saying he isn’t coming. He totally is. The OP was pointing out that no other prospect have ever insulted the team that was drafting him. I’m super pumped about Wilson.

7 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Like Zach Wilson hasn’t said anything lol and you’re fabricating an entire narrative. 

hip hop happy dance GIF

• Post of the Week 1
5 hours ago, mfmartin said:

Oh I’m not saying he isn’t coming. He totally is. The OP was pointing out that no other prospect have ever insulted the team that was drafting him. I’m super pumped about Wilson.

I'm a Jets fan and insult the Jets frequently.    Good to see that our starting QB is on the same page.  Bitonti is going to love him.  

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Morrissey said:

You mean turning what was a simple conversation/question about how to deal with a fanbase craving a winner, coming off so much losing into an indictment on someones mental toughness?  As if this wouldnt be a conversation any top QB prospect should/would have before being drafted to Jax, NY etc?  

Nah, better to shlt on our picks toughness for asking the obvious.

12 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

That is old-think that has died out with the concept that a player was joining a team. Players are now a business, where financial stability and professional and lives are dependent on factors they cannot control.

Look at Darnold, a seemingly promising and financially lucrative career built on years of training, sacrifice and preparation now jeopardized largely because of the decisions of corporate and coaching leadership. Darnold is the skeleton along the path Wilson is now likely treading.

Good take.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, paulyjet said:

Good interview.

The truth is the truth...

The jets haven't had success with QB's.

So the fear is justified.

But this guy did a good job mentoring Zacks fears.

👍

The Jets haven't had success with qbs 

Zach wilson has no friends 

It's the double negative 

The league can't wait to laugh at both 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, paulyjet said:

Hope we get to laugh ...

For once.

🙏👍

they are never going to like us but I too hope they can at least feel the shame of losing the worst franchise in pro sports, 40 years running 

the road to ZW success depends on a running game like when TEN or SF are at their best 

going to try and be positive about Zach Wilson 

for example, I smile when people call him Disney+

here's one, no sarcasm: he looks like he works harder on film prep than Darnold and Sanchez combined. 

Play action and slants depend on the running game so for this draft to make this happen in year 1 of ZW they need to come home with like Tevin, Creed, and Trey Sermon. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they are never going to like us but I too hope they can at least feel the shame of losing the worst franchise in pro sports, 40 years running 

the road to ZW success depends on a running game like when TEN or SF are at their best 

going to try and be positive about Zach Wilson 

for example, I smile when people call him Disney+

here's one, no sarcasm: he looks like he works harder on film prep than Darnold and Sanchez combined. 

Play action and slants depend on the running game so for this draft to make this happen in year 1 of ZW they need to come home with like Tevin, Creed, and Trey Sermon. 

Not saying we couldn't use a great running game, but you don't need a great running game to have an effective play action. There's been research that shows how that idea is outdated, and honestly, after watching the Bills last season, it does seem to hold true.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/further-research-play-action-passing

We have an ever-growing body of evidence that teams don't need to run often -- or run well -- to set up play-action. Play-action works for teams that run frequently, infrequently, well, or poorly. For the vast majority of teams, it just works. From 2011 to 2017, 196 of 224 team-seasons had higher yards per play on play-action dropbacks than on non-play-action dropbacks. This includes teams like the 2017 Lions (9.4 yards per play-action play, No. 30 in rushing DVOA) and 2015 Jaguars (1.7 more yards per play on play-action dropbacks despite being No. 28 in rushing DVOA and only running 31 percent of the time).

For every team observed to have a strong play-action game and strong rushing attack, I can find an example of an effective play-action team that has a weak rushing attack. For every play where a successful play-action pass followed a series of runs, I can find a play where play-action succeeded despite not recently running. There just doesn't seem to be anything there.

Finally, there's no evidence of teams using play-action a lot seeing any less benefit to play-action. Coaches treat play-action as a fragile toy that can only be brought out under certain conditions -- only after running, and only if it hasn't already been used it too much -- but it's more like the tennis racket I've had since high school: always ready, and always effective.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Not saying we couldn't use a great running game, but you don't need a great running game to have an effective play action. There's been research that shows how that idea is outdated, and honestly, after watching the Bills last season, it does seem to hold true.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/further-research-play-action-passing

We have an ever-growing body of evidence that teams don't need to run often -- or run well -- to set up play-action. Play-action works for teams that run frequently, infrequently, well, or poorly. For the vast majority of teams, it just works. From 2011 to 2017, 196 of 224 team-seasons had higher yards per play on play-action dropbacks than on non-play-action dropbacks. This includes teams like the 2017 Lions (9.4 yards per play-action play, No. 30 in rushing DVOA) and 2015 Jaguars (1.7 more yards per play on play-action dropbacks despite being No. 28 in rushing DVOA and only running 31 percent of the time).

For every team observed to have a strong play-action game and strong rushing attack, I can find an example of an effective play-action team that has a weak rushing attack. For every play where a successful play-action pass followed a series of runs, I can find a play where play-action succeeded despite not recently running. There just doesn't seem to be anything there.

Finally, there's no evidence of teams using play-action a lot seeing any less benefit to play-action. Coaches treat play-action as a fragile toy that can only be brought out under certain conditions -- only after running, and only if it hasn't already been used it too much -- but it's more like the tennis racket I've had since high school: always ready, and always effective.

I can accept that logic. Running has a priority in the Saleh system also to give the defense rest and keep the other team's high powered offense on the bench. Besides executing, TBB controlled the tempo of this most recent super bowl

the Bills have a top 10 line that at least opens up the threat of play-action during defensive game planning 

Dion Dawkins - Jon Feliciano - Mitch Morse - Cody Ford - Daryl Williams 

that's a mean line. they also have Diggs which opens up everything in the secondary 

other teams DC for the Jets... game plan is going to be what? 

bracket Corey Davis, they only have Becton so push everything to the defense's right, let them have Crowder and garbage TE underneath  - it's not scary 

there's too few player on the Jets that makes people miss, finds big plays etc.

if this were my pick Thursday night i turn in the card for Pitts and find a QB another day. Jimmy G feels like a ZW pro comp - that dude could gets cut and/or ride with the Captain. They don't give me a pick however. 

• Upvote 1

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer22m

Skeptic to believer: Steve Young bullish on Zach Wilson, New York Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Steve Young doesn't think the New York Jets are a quarterback graveyard anymore, which is why he believes former BYU quarterback Zach Wilson can flourish in Gotham.

"Look, I mean, if you asked me a year ago the bottom five places for a quarterback in the NFL, I would've picked the Jets as one of them," the Pro Football Hall of Famer said on ESPN's "Flight Deck" podcast. "But there have been significant changes."

Young said coach Robert Saleh and general manager Joe Douglas are building an infrastructure that will allow a young quarterback to thrive. In a recent interview with a San Francisco radio station, Young didn't sound so upbeat about the Jets, hinting that Wilson might be better off with his old team, the San Francisco 49ers.

The former BYU quarterbacks have become close in recent years, although they didn't meet in person until last week at Young's charity golf tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona. In a recent conversation, Young -- who is also an ESPN NFL analyst -- told Wilson and his father that the Jets, who hold the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday's NFL draft in Cleveland (8 p.m. ET, ESPN and ESPN all), are on the upswing.

"I said to Zach and Mike, all the things that you could ask for to happen over the last four or five months, every move seems to be a real positive one to make that place a great place for a quarterback," said Young, who suspects Saleh -- a former San Francisco assistant -- will bring the 49ers' way to the Jets.

In the interview, Young touched on Wilson's potential and how he sees some of Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers and Kansas City's Patrick Mahomes in his game. He also acknowledged that BYU's soft schedule -- no Power 5 opponents in 2020 -- creates a variable that makes Wilson a tougher evaluation than other top prospects. Young commended Douglas for an "incredible amount of due diligence" during the pre-draft process.

"My sense is where he really sold Joe Douglas was in those [Zoom] sessions, where they could put him under the gun and see his love and passion for all the aspects of the game," said Young, who first heard about Wilson through his old college teammate, Jim Hermann, a coach at Wilson's high school in Draper, Utah. "He's a baby-faced kind of kid, a 21-year-old, but he has a grit and toughness to him, especially mentally."

A few of the highlights from the Young interview:

On whether he believes Wilson is a lock at No. 2: "In the NFL draft, nothing is truly set until you put the name in, but short of some terrible review or something that comes out that changes the nature of what they've underwritten for Zach, it feels like there's no question he's their guy. They've had him locked in for quite a while.

"That's through a lot of rigor. Joe Douglas doesn't play the fool. The man is very intent. He's got rings on his fingers. He knows what he's looking for. He knows this is kind of a defining moment for him. I think he's done whatever he possibly can to vet this situation and it became pretty obvious to me that they've locked in on him."

On BYU's schedule: "It makes it hard. It's the greatest challenge that Joe Douglas had in trying to figure this out, because you want to see him play Texas or Alabama or Ohio State. You want to see him on a big stage. You have to interpolate it. That's the challenge of scouts and coaches. ... Can he really do it? You've watched the bodies thrown against the rocks through the years of people who thought they could and can't."

On Wilson's arm talent: "The way he throws is somewhat like Aaron Rodgers. ... And then his off-platform stuff we talk about a lot, it's really in many ways reminds me of Patrick Mahomes. I don't say these names because he's going to ... you still have to go do it. As far as what he's shown, those are the physical traits."

On the young QB's breakout 2020 season: "It's who he is and he got a chance to show it. The more he showed it, the more the rest of us were like, 'Holy crap, he does things you're not supposed to be able to do until you get in the NFL.' ...  It was amazing what he put on tape. There were times I watched him and it was like, 'Is this kid for real? Can he really do these things?' He did it week after week."

On his ceiling: "Every generation has a handful of guys that define the position. He's set up to be one of those. Now, can he go get it? Can he go do it? There are a lot of filters and a lot of hurdles and a lot of things you have to go through to get there, but I think he's the No. 2 pick for the Jets because of what that looks like, because of his potential."

• Post of the Week 1
11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I can accept that logic. Running has a priority in the Saleh system also to give the defense rest and keep the other team's high powered offense on the bench. Besides executing, TBB controlled the tempo of this most recent super bowl

the Bills have a top 10 line that at least opens up the threat of play-action during defensive game planning 

Dion Dawkins - Jon Feliciano - Mitch Morse - Cody Ford - Daryl Williams 

that's a mean line. they also have Diggs which opens up everything in the secondary 

other teams DC for the Jets... game plan is going to be what? 

bracket Corey Davis, they only have Becton so push everything to the defense's right, let them have Crowder and garbage TE underneath  - it's not scary 

there's too few player on the Jets that makes people miss, finds big plays etc.

if this were my pick Thursday night i turn in the card for Pitts and find a QB another day. Jimmy G feels like a ZW pro comp - that dude could gets cut and/or ride with the Captain. They don't give me a pick however. 

Saleh does like to use the run, and it's not necessarily to just set up the play action, but that's his style. My statement is more general, not a team identity thing.

The Jets do need more talent. And if they build a great line and have great receivers, it doesn't matter whether they run or not to set up the play action. That's all. 

Also, the way the Bills built their line is the same way the Jets are trying to. Only Mitch Morse got big money. Everyone is just a hardworking dude, no stars until they got together. These guys were picked in Days 2 and 3.

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Also, the way the Bills built their line is the same way the Jets are trying to. Only Mitch Morse got big money. Everyone is just a hardworking dude, no stars until they got together. These guys were picked in Days 2 and 3.

the problem is JD thinks Connor McGovern is our Mitch Morse

there's a difference between finding Daryl Williams off the scrap heap and paying George Fant 2x Brandon Shell to be half as good 

the Jets have a serious problem with self-scouting. 

ask them, they think their O-line with Beachum, Shell and Dozier were terrible (all starters elsewhere) while McGovern, GVR feeney are awesome players not in all in need of upgrade. What even happened with Alex Lewis? are they going to June 1 him? 

I hope I'm wrong but i suspect the line will look very similar today and next week. they might find an Edoga replacement a future OT to develop. 

my scouting report they have 1 guy who would start on every other team in the league in Becton and 4 bums. Not "going to be discovered one day" types but backups starting out of necessity. 

Who is Zach Wilson? Coaches of Jets' likely NFL Draft pick peel back the curtain on the quarterback

Wilson's BYU coaches tell SNY what he's really like as a teammate on and off the field

Tune in to SNY on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. for Jets Nation Draft Day Special delivered by Dunkin’, featuring extensive NFL draft coverage from former Jets Braylon Edwards and Leger Douzable, SNY’s NFL Insider Ralph Vacchiano, and draft analysts Rich Cirminiello and Connor Rogers. Jeane Coakley will have 1-on-1 interviews with Jets GM Joe Douglas and Head Coach Robert Saleh.

It’s been a long time since Brigham Young University was known as “Quarterback U,” but the memories in Provo, Utah tend to be long. They all remember the Cougars who became a Hall-of-Famer, a Super Bowl champion, or one of the greatest passers in college football history.

Every quarterback who arrives on campus is expected to do the same.

“Everybody wants every quarterback we have to be Steve Young, Jim McMahon or Ty Detmer,” said BYU passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach Aaron Roderick. “Expectations for quarterback play at BYU are pretty much impossible.”

So it was hard enough on Zach Wilson back in 2018 when he took over as the youngest starting quarterback in Cougars history at age 19 in the middle of his true freshman season. But the pressure didn’t really ramp up until the final game of the season. Wilson finished with perfection – 18 for 18 for 317 yards and four touchdowns in a 49-18 win over Western Michigan in the Idaho Potato Bowl.

And when it was over, receiver Dylan Collie, a graduate transfer from Hawaii, raised the impossible bar even higher than it was.

“I truly believe,” Collie said that day, “this kid will be one of, if not the greatest quarterback in BYU history.”

That was quite a statement based on the one good game of Wilson’s career, which is why the general reaction to that quote in the BYU community was: “Huh?”

“I remember him saying that,” BYU head coach Kalani Sitake said recently. “And people were like, ‘What is he talking about? This kid’s a freshman.’

“But I also remember a lot of players on our team kind of nodding their head and agreeing with it.”

Somehow, Sitake said, they all knew.

Nov 21, 2020; Provo, UT, USA; BYU quarterback Zach Wilson (1) reacts after their win against North Alabama in an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020, in Provo, Utah.

Two years later, it doesn’t sound so crazy now that everyone sees what the BYU coaches swear they saw at Wilson’s first practice – the strong arm, the intelligence, and all the skills that seem to make his potential unlimited. Jets general manager Joe Douglas sees it, which is why he’s expected to select Wilson with the second overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, making him the latest in a long line of franchise quarterbacks expected to save the Jets.

Wilson earned that with a spectacular junior season – 3,692 yards with 33 touchdowns and three interceptions in 12 games, with a BYU-record completion percentage of 73.5. But it was a season that seemingly came out of nowhere. Heading into 2020, he wasn’t on anybody’s list of the top quarterbacks in the 2021 draft.

That’s nothing new to Wilson, though. Coming out of Corner Canyon High School in Draper, Utah, he wasn’t on anyone’s list of top prospects, either. He was more of a basketball star, and his lone, early football scholarship offer came from Weber State. Utah, for whom his father Mike once played defensive tackle, had no interest. And BYU was committed to a different quarterback of their future -- Zadock Dinkelmann, the nephew of Detmer, who was now was their offensive coordinator.

It wasn’t until late in his senior year that Wilson started to get the attention of some Power Five schools, though it was after he had committed to Boise State. BYU didn’t get involved until that November when they fired Detmer, which led to his nephew going to Texas A&M. In the staff shakeup, BYU hired Fesi Sitake, Kalani’s cousin, as their new receivers coach. And he just happened to be the offensive coordinator at Weber State who tried to lure Wilson there.

So Fesi Sitake convinced his cousin to pursue the “scrawny, little noodle” of a quarterback, knowing that Wilson wanted to play closer to home and knowing that, much to the dismay of a family filled with diehard Utah fans, the Utes still hadn’t made an offer. That fact clearly was a thorn in Wilson’s side. When he officially signed with BYU he told a local radio station “I look at it as: It was Utah’s loss.”

No wonder he wears a wristband that reads “Prove them wrong.”

Kalani Sitake could see from the first day of spring practice before Wilson’s freshman year that there was something different about his new, skinny, young quarterback.

“We knew right when he got here there was something special about him,” Sitake said. “Right when he threw the first football in spring ball, I just remember everyone’s eyes like ‘Oh gosh, this guy got it.’”

It was the off-field part, though, that was even more impressive. Wilson passed up his senior season of basketball so he could enroll early at BYU, dive into the playbook and attend spring practice. And once he arrived, he went straight to work and never stopped.

“His work ethic is amazing,” Sitake said. “He studied the playbook. He was a lot more mature for a guy that should be in high school. He was so focused; he took the field with a different mindset than you saw from most true freshmen.”

Roderick said he could see immediately that his new prospect “just eats, breathes, sleeps, drinks football.” And he was so smart, so well-prepared, that he was a challenge for the coaches who started to worry that Wilson might end up knowing more about the offense or an upcoming opponent than them.

“He watches so much film and he’s such a smart guy that he really forced me to raise my game as a coach,” Roderick said. “I had to be more sure than ever before in my career that I didn’t ever show up at a meeting unprepared for fear of just being exposed.”

Dec 22, 2020; Boca Raton, Florida, USA; Brigham Young Cougars quarterback Zach Wilson (1) attempts a pass against the UCF Knights during the second half at FAU Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

And for Wilson, who was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) when he was a child, the studying and the preparation never ended. Sitake said he kept their video crew in overdrive sending him film of practices, opponents, and even NFL quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. The coaching staff would get constant texts from Wilson about plays he saw that he liked, or questions he had about formations or an opposing defense.

It didn’t matter what film he was watching. The texts never stopped.

“He just watches football,” Sitake said. “He watches pro football, high school football. During spring football, while he’s preparing for the NFL Draft, he’s watching our 15 spring practices on the day of the practices. Then he’ll call me and talk to me about a couple of things that he saw.”

“Something I feel that separates me is just my passion for the game,” Wilson said at his Pro Day in March. “I really put a lot of time into what I do. Throughout all the years, I’ve really dedicated my life to football. It’s crazy. People ask me what I do outside of football, and football is really my life. It’s all I’ve got going on.”

He’s not kidding, because even in his down time he found ways to work on his football skills. During the summer after his first spring with BYU, Wilson realized he needed to refine his technique to keep up with bigger and faster opponents. So he decided to train with former BYU quarterback John Beck at 3DQB Academy in Huntington Beach, Calif.

Wilson’s parents told him they’d pay for the program, as long as he earned enough money for travel and expenses. So Wilson went to work around BYU as a DoorDash driver so he could earn enough gas money for the 700-mile drive.

“There’s all these funny stories around here of people posting on Twitter, ‘Um, I’m pretty sure Zach Wilson just dropped off my Burger King,’” Roderick said. “He’d do that here, then go to California to throw with John Beck for the weekend, then drive DoorDash down there to save up enough cash to get back home.

“His dad set him up for success but didn’t hand it to him on a silver platter. He always made him jump through that last hurdle on his own.”

That DoorDash story doesn’t sound like the action of a “rich kid who is an entitled brat.” But that’s how Wilson was described by an anonymous director of college scouting for an NFC team back in December in a quote provided to the Walter Football website. The anonymous source added Wilson was “not a leader, selfish, and he’s a know-it-all … (a) Johnny Manziel comp without the (drugs).”

His college coaches still cringe at that quote because, as Sitake said, “It’s the furthest thing from the truth.” Even the “rich kid” part is “a little overblown,” Roderick said. The family does have a lot of money on Wilson’s mother’s side. His uncle, David Neeleman, is the founder of JetBlue airlines. But Roderick said Wilson’s immediate family is “upper middle class.” (Though to be fair, that might be a bit of an understatement. In a profile of Wilson in the Salt Lake City, Utah, newspaper The Deseret News, his parents were described as “well-off small business owners”).

Regardless, it didn’t help Wilson’s image that NFL people saw that quote and also began to wonder why he wasn’t elected a captain by his teammates before his junior season, even though he was selected to the Cougars’ “leadership council” and was given the captain’s “C” the second week. But all of those questions only led to a deluge of his teammates to leap to his defense. After the “entitled brat” controversy started, many of them took to Twitter to defend the man whom Roderick said “was the unquestioned leader of our team.”

“He was really well-liked,” Roderick said. “He’s a guy that really goes out of his way for others. I can’t tell you how many times he came to me and told me that someone was struggling, ‘Hey we’ve got to take care of this guy,’ or ‘I don’t know if you know this is going on in this guy’s life, but I thought you should know.’ Or sometimes it was football things, like ‘Let’s get him the ball and get him going again. I think his confidence is a little down.’

“He’s really in tune with other people around him, really aware of his surroundings. He’s got this great sort of presence of people around him, kind of feeling the room, knowing his audience. He’s excellent at that.”

Dec 22, 2020; Boca Raton, Florida, USA; Brigham Young Cougars quarterback Zach Wilson (1) scrambles with the ball against the UCF Knights during the first half at FAU Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

That, of course, is not what attracted the Jets and the rest of the NFL world. Even his perfect performance in the Idaho Potato Bowl only briefly got him on the league’s radar, until his sophomore season knocked him off. He wasn’t very good in 2019 (2,382 yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in nine games). Even many BYU fans wondered if he was the right man for the job.

But the BYU coaches knew that Wilson wasn’t himself. He had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder the summer before and he wasn’t completely healthy. Roderick even offered Wilson the chance to take a redshirt year so he could come back healthy in 2020 and not damage his NFL chances. “But there was no way,” Roderick said. “He was playing.”

Then, in a Week 5 loss at Toledo, he fractured his thumb and needed surgery to place a pin in it. Again, Roderick offered him the chance to take the rest of the season off. But Wilson said no.

“So he comes back, the shoulder’s still not healthy, he’s got the broken thumb, and they took the pins out and he didn’t have flexibility in his throwing hand,” Roderick said. “But he played with it even though his accuracy, the spin on ball, the zip on the ball, all that stuff was not the same.”

And that, his coaches said, was the difference in 2020. Wilson was finally healthy. It showed in a spectacular season that began with an open quarterback competition and ended with Wilson having one of the best seasons for a quarterback in BYU history. When it was over, he was clearly one of the top five quarterbacks in the 2021 NFL Draft. And some NFL scouts say there are even some teams with Wilson ranked ahead of Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the certain No. 1 overall pick.

Will they be right? The last 20 drafts are littered with quarterbacks drafted in the Top 5 who ranged from mediocre to awful. Even Roderick, perhaps Wilson’s biggest booster, concedes that “playing quarterback in that league is a 50-50 deal at best.”

But his old coaches believe that Wilson will increase those odds by working as hard as anyone in the league. In fact, he already is. As part of his preparation, he’s reached out to several former Jets quarterbacks, including Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez, for advice on how to handle playing in New York.

So he’ll arrive as he always does – well-prepared. Not with any sense of entitlement. And his old coaches are sure that will be enough to win over everyone, from his new teammates to the fickle fans and media in New York.

“The guy has a great work ethic and he’s going to be a great teammate,” Sitake said. “He’s going to realize this isn’t about him. He’s going to find a way to glue that team together and unify them. He’s not a big ego guy. Whenever you have a young man at the quarterback position and they connect with teammates really well, and he believes in his teammates and gives them a lot of confidence, they’ll play beyond themselves.”

“He’s equipped with the right mentality and mental makeup to handle New York,” Roderick added. “I think he’s got a great chance. I know you’ll get everything he has.”

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Not gonna quote due to length, but great article @flgreen

Wilson may not be battle-tested against top competition, but he has shown that he can overcome adversity and improve at every step. Couple that with his exciting arm, accuracy, and all the impressive stuff he's done on the field and it's understandable why we'd take a chance on him becoming elite. 

I really hope he can get to that top 5 level. He has the keys to pull that off but it's up to him, and us helping him along the way.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean turning what was a simple conversation/question about how to deal with a fanbase craving a winner, coming off so much losing into an indictment on someones mental toughness?  As if this wouldnt be a conversation any top QB prospect should/would have before being drafted to Jax, NY etc?  

Nah, better to shlt on our picks toughness for asking the obvious.

If Fields said the same thing you wouldn't have a problem with it..:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Zach wilson and the Jets are a perfect match 

No one can stand to be around either 

After Wilson gets injured and we are horrible again and have the number 1 pick next year and Sam Howell is right there - wait for it - then, only then will be allowed to actually build a roster and draft a top OL or Playmaking Receiver

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

If Fields said the same thing you wouldn't have a problem with it..:rolleyes:

Actually, no I wouldnt.  But hey, thanks for reading my mind along with Wilsons.  

If you're going to go there, check my signature and the countless posts where I've said I'll be good with either QB because I can understand the reasons for either.  I havent bashed Fields on some Dr Phil reach over a conversation he had with his mentor.  Because why would anyone discuss how to deal with an fanbase starved for a winner/wins.  

BTW, these questions would be understandable for pretty much any fanbase in a position to draft the 2nd ranked QB in the draft outside of the 49rs.  

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

After Wilson gets injured and we are horrible again and have the number 1 pick next year and Sam Howell is right there - wait for it - then, only then will be allowed to actually build a roster and draft a top OL or Playmaking Receiver

on bengals forums if you ask them what the pick should be they just post a pic of Burrow's giant scar as a reply 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Even the “rich kid” part is “a little overblown,” Roderick said. The family does have a lot of money on Wilson’s mother’s side. His uncle, David Neeleman, is the founder of JetBlue airlines. 

JetBlue is the official airline partner of the NYJ

and that's why this pick has been etched in stone since Woody got back from Europe 

If Trey Lance's uncle founded MetLife or Justin Fields' uncle was the CEO of Anheuser-Busch, they'd have a chance to go 2 as well 

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

on bengals forums if you ask them what the pick should be they just post a pic of Burrow's giant scar as a reply 

Maybe we can send a 6th to the bengals for Jonah?

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So Wilson is going to get hurt in 2021 and the Jets will have to draft another QB?

As an example we should look at the Bengals.  Makes sense

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

and that's why this pick has been etched in stone since Woody got back from Europe 

If Trey Lance's uncle founded MetLife or Justin Fields' uncle was the CEO of Anheuser-Busch, they'd have a chance to go 2 as well 

Yeah, thats why.  Because it makes sense nowhere other than in your mind

As I said, youre paying an airline for the use of their plane so you throw away a pick on an inferior talent.  

Just to make the airline that you pay, happy.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So Wilson is going to get hurt in 2021 and the Jets will have to draft another QB?

As an example we should look at the Bengals.  Makes sense

I’d like you to start making sense

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

LOL

Zach's uncle owns Jets Blue, not his father.  His father is a successful blue collar guy who owns a few  gas stations.  It's been written many times, his immediate family has 0 to do with Jet Blue.   Not to mention there are like 60 kids in the whole family.

My uncle was filthy rich since I was a little boy.  I've never seen a penny of it.  

C'mon Bit this narrative  is just silly. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

the problem is JD thinks Connor McGovern is our Mitch Morse

there's a difference between finding Daryl Williams off the scrap heap and paying George Fant 2x Brandon Shell to be half as good 

the Jets have a serious problem with self-scouting. 

ask them, they think their O-line with Beachum, Shell and Dozier were terrible (all starters elsewhere) while McGovern, GVR feeney are awesome players not in all in need of upgrade. What even happened with Alex Lewis? are they going to June 1 him? 

I hope I'm wrong but i suspect the line will look very similar today and next week. they might find an Edoga replacement a future OT to develop. 

my scouting report they have 1 guy who would start on every other team in the league in Becton and 4 bums. Not "going to be discovered one day" types but backups starting out of necessity. 

Once again, you are operating under the assumption that there will be no meaningful draft capital sunk into the line. If that happens, I share your frustration and agree with your assessment. I legitimately doubt that happens though. If they double down on the same stuff that got Darnold what he got, they deserve the ridicule. I maintain that if they take care of this guy, he has the talent to take them where they want to go. 

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Pac said:

I've never seen so much fear surrounding a supposed top QB going to a particular team.

Man the F up and believe you're good enough to succeed no matter where you're headed.

I have yet to hear any whining or fear from the Fields or Lawrence camps.

I'm not one of these Wilson fanboys but I do remember a NY team getting two Super Bowls out of a QB who pouted to his daddy to get him traded out of San Diego. 

23 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

I'm not one of these Wilson fanboys but I do remember a NY team getting two Super Bowls out of a QB who pouted to his daddy to get him traded out of San Diego. 

True but as mentioned earlier at least he said from the start he would not play there which enabled SD to make adjustments.  This not so cloak and dagger whimpering by team Zippy is different.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets haven't had success with qbs 

Zach wilson has no friends 

It's the double negative 

The league can't wait to laugh at both 

He has friends their just all married 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, thats why.  Because it makes sense nowhere other than in your mind

As I said, youre paying an airline for the use of their plane so you throw away a pick on an inferior talent.  

Just to make the airline that you pay, happy.  

chartering a plane is paying for the use of a plane. 32 teams charter a plane (or own their own)

yes the Jets charter a plane from JetBlue. That's not the extent of the relationship however.

JetBlue is the official airline partner of a few teams like NEP and yes NYJ 

they are a stadium level advertisement that goes on top of the Virgin Airlines official airline partner of the NFL money 

put it another way if the Jets pass on ZW, Uncle JetBlue could call and stop his sponsorship 

it's a relationship that ebbs and flows maybe next year they advertise more etc. 

it's not the only reason but all three QBs being equal JetBlue is a fortune 500 company that sponsors the team. It's free money, Woody's favorite kind