Name Your Guy at #23

7 hours ago, Icer said:

Prefer: AVT, Teven Jenkins

Give me IOL, although I can see both of these guys being gone which might make it more tantalizing to pick OL with the 2nd rounder and shift to some of these others.

Acceptable: Kwity Paye, Jayson Oweh, Azeez Ojulari

Not going to bullsh*t you here, I couldn't pick out any of the three other than watching their highlights but they fill a need at a premium position.

Intriguing: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Kardarious Toney

LB is a very weak spot on the roster thats largely overlooked and ignored so I could see Owusu as a nice fill in although LB would probably make most people puke he seems like the modern LB who is good in space. Toney could be the eventual replacement to Crowder and fill the Deebo Samuel role in the Lafleur/Shanny offense.

Worried: Caleb Farley, Jaelan Phillips

Boom or bust with these guys, their injury history would put a sour note on their selection.

Don't Want: Najee Harris, Travis Etienne

I'm never going to be in favor of drafting a RB high with a roster with this many holes. 

I keep hearing this "so many holes" Narrative and its just not true. Douglas filled a lot of holes (WR , Edge, FS) via FA and you are going to be surprised how much better our corners and defense will look over all with the new coaching staff. We have had some terrible coaching here the last 10+ years and I think this new staff will transform this team very quickly. Coaching will be the Key

If we grab a RB, 1 or 2 OL and a Corner this team will round out nicely in a very short time. Also more pressure on the QB will help our young CB's to operate in a much smaller window kind of what Made Revis elite, pressure on the QB and less cover time.

Prediction time:

Tevin Jenkins and AVT will be gone by 23 

the Jets as a front office are too lumbering to trade up it takes them two hours to decide what stall to use in the mens room

the Jets won't pick Creed at 23 so we will wait and wait all night and they will trade down 

JD style baby 

tired work GIF by S4C

• Haha 1

best available at WR, RB, OL is the only right answer. it almost doesnt matter how good or bad our defense is this year if the offense stinks.
Can't see them using a first round pick on a RB for this O, it would be out of character for the O (if they're thinking at all like Lynch/Shanahan) and for JD.

In his 4 drafts / 6 R1 picks, Lynch w/ Shanahan drafted 2 offensive players, an OT and WR (Aiyuk late). The only RB they drafted in 4 years was Joe Williams in R4 2017.

2015 Bears (JD Director of college scouting) drafted a WR R1, and a R4 RB.

2016-2019 Eagles (JD VP Player Personnel) drafted OT DE QB in R1 and drafted 2 RB, R2 & R4
(passed up Josh Jacobs R1 to take Miles Sanders R2 2019 and Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Kareem Hunt, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Samaje Perine, Tarik Cohen and Joe Williams to take Donnel Pumphrey R4 2017)

2020 NYJ drafted OT R1 and passed up Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the only R1 RB taken with the last pick in the round. Also passed up 4 RB rounds 2-4 before taking RB (Perine) R4.
I am good with pretty much anything but CB.
We have horrible luck with first round CBs, other than Revis and, it's just a no for me.
Go RB or OT.
Give the young kid what he needs.
I don't get this 'we have horrible luck with...' stuff. We haven't drafted a CB in R1 since 2013, we're deciding what positions JD is capable of drafting based on Dee Milliner 2013 and Kyle Wilson 2010? If so, look at it this way, we're batting .333 with 1st round CBs that are likely to he HOFers in the last 15 years, that's waaaaaay above average.

It's a big stretch to make even the kind of comparisons I did above, but at least our current GM / HC / OC have a connection to those drafts. JD was a low-ranked member of the player personnel department in Baltimore when the 3 guys mentioned above were drafted. Low-ranking PP guys are a dime a dozen in the NFL. He was probably scouting guys that were never going to get drafted prior to the Revis draft, if he was even doing that.

19 hours ago, isired said:

Can't see them using a first round pick on a RB for this O, it would be out of character for the O (if they're thinking at all like Lynch/Shanahan) and for JD.

In his 4 drafts / 6 R1 picks, Lynch w/ Shanahan drafted 2 offensive players, an OT and WR (Aiyuk late). The only RB they drafted in 4 years was Joe Williams in R4 2017.

2015 Bears (JD Director of college scouting) drafted a WR R1, and a R4 RB.

2016-2019 Eagles (JD VP Player Personnel) drafted OT DE QB in R1 and drafted 2 RB, R2 & R4
(passed up Josh Jacobs R1 to take Miles Sanders R2 2019 and Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Kareem Hunt, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Samaje Perine, Tarik Cohen and Joe Williams to take Donnel Pumphrey R4 2017)

2020 NYJ drafted OT R1 and passed up Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the only R1 RB taken with the last pick in the round. Also passed up 4 RB rounds 2-4 before taking RB (Perine) R4.I don't get this 'we have horrible luck with...' stuff. We haven't drafted a CB in R1 since 2013, we're deciding what positions JD is capable of drafting based on Dee Milliner 2013 and Kyle Wilson 2010? If so, look at it this way, we're batting .333 with 1st round CBs that are likely to he HOFers in the last 15 years, that's waaaaaay above average.

It's a big stretch to make even the kind of comparisons I did above, but at least our current GM / HC / OC have a connection to those drafts. JD was a low-ranked member of the player personnel department in Baltimore when the 3 guys mentioned above were drafted. Low-ranking PP guys are a dime a dozen in the NFL. He was probably scouting guys that were never going to get drafted prior to the Revis draft, if he was even doing that.

understand the logic, however...this entire offense and the success of our new QB is largely based on our ability to execute play action. our OL isnt that good, our RB's are crap, and Coleman who is a player is always hurt...that being said...i fully expect for JD to walk away with Harris, Etienne, or one of the NC backs (to your point maybe round 2 is more likely, dunno whats on the board at 23)

19 hours ago, kmnj said:

it MUST be offense-you cant set up another franchise qb to fail again-joe failed sam hope he learned his lesson

No way did JD fail Sam... MACC failed Sam. While JD didn't spend big coin for OL in FA, he added more OL in one year than Macc did in 5.

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

JD telling Robby to take a hike didn’t exactly help

Maybe not, but he did replace him, and while not Robby, he did put up some decent numbers. I'm going to give JD a pass for that year, and begin his evaluation starting from the Saleh hire. I think it's only fair.

Just now, 68JET11 said:

Maybe not, but he did replace him, and while not Robby, he did put up some decent numbers. I'm going to give JD a pass for that year, and begin his evaluation starting from the Saleh hire. I think it's only fair.

Oh right, Perriman and Robby were intercha?ngeable 

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

Guess who wants to come back lol... And never said it was the best move, it's just not a move that failed Sam.

Ofcourse it failed Sam.  His receivers first half of the season were Chris Hogan and Josh Malone 

Perriman had a good 4 game stretch in his entire career and was known as an injury egg and that’s exactly what he was here.  JD could not have handled that worse

Has any mock draft not done by a Jets fan have us going offence at 23?

Seems every f*cking one has us going Corner or Edge. Some even going safety ffs. 

My guy would be Teven Jenkins or AVT. I'll be genuinely furious if we pass those guy up for a defensive guy but I'm fully expecting it. 

My preferences (of guys I expect to reasonably be available at #23):

1. Najee Harris, RB

2. Alijah Vera-Tucker, OG

3. Travis Etienne, RB

4. Creed Humphrey, C

Followed up at #34 with either Terrace Marshall Jr., (WR) or Alex Leatherwood (OT) as needed/appropriate.

If we get, for example, Wilson, Harris, Leatherwood or Wilson, AVT, Marshall, I'll be very happy.

I just hope we don;t reach on "premium position best value" type picks like Edge or CB.  We have addressed or can address those after the draft via FA (we signed an edge, can still sign Sherman with cap space, etc). 

Fix the Defense (if we need to) next year or late in this draft.  I want to see what we actually have (with Mosely back) with Saleh leading it before I agree the D actually needs as much help as some complain.  Plus I'm happy to get some value Defenders later in the draft (Divine Deablo comes to mind immediately, that guys gonna be a good pick to someone mid-rounds!)

The Offense, on the other hand, around our fresh new shiny young QB, is universally agreed to be deficient of talent and needs the help, and help is available at APPROPRIATE draft slots for their talent/impact.

Be assured, nothing will help Wilson more than O-line to protect him and an impact RB to take the pressure off of him.  Even WR (now that we have Davis/Mims/Crowder) is less important right now.  Although I really wouldn't mind snagging Marshall if we can....

My dream:

We trade some future picks to get an extra high pick this year, and walk away with Wilson, Harris, Leatherwood AND Marshall by the end of our 2nd round picks.  Instant Offense fix. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

No way did JD fail Sam... MACC failed Sam. While JD didn't spend big coin for OL in FA, he added more OL in one year than Macc did in 5.

sam had maybe the worst line in the NFL, for sure the worst tight ends in the NFL , one of the worst running back rosters in the league , a terrible set of wide receivers and a horrible coach

the only real weapon Sam had was Robby and Joe made sure he was not there as well

Sam will flourish in carolina and lots of folks are going to look stupid that believed Sam sucks