Have the Jets ever been this locked in on a draft pick before?

Have we ever gone into a draft knowing exactly who the pick was gonna be? The closest i can remember is Keyshawn? Something has always had to break for us. Weird and a bit anticlimactic spot for us at #2. Any of the gray beards remember when we knew exactly what the pick was before the draft?

35 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Have we ever gone into a draft knowing exactly who the pick was gonna be? The closest i can remember is Keyshawn? Something has always had to break for us. Weird and a bit anticlimactic spot for us at #2. Any of the gray beards remember when we knew exactly what the pick was before the draft?

Sonny Werblin was all over Namath in 1965.B)

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Everyone knew they were drafting Blair Thomas. Jamal Adams too. 

I remember the Jets really liking Junior Seau in that draft, before he wrote to every team with a high pick saying he only wanted to play for the Chargers. How different things could have been. The Jets more or less locked onto Blair Thomas after that.

I can't ever remember a scenario where the Jets made a move 2 weeks before the draft based on a draft pick that hadn't taken place yet. Usually things are done before the draft to give options and flexibility. With trading Sam, their is literally no other option at #2. The Jets are more locked into their pick than the Jags are.

It's definitely a strange year. 

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I remember the Jets really liking Junior Seau in that draft, before he wrote to every team with a high pick saying he only wanted to play for the Chargers. How different things could have been. The Jets more or less locked onto Blair Thomas after that.

Too bad we didnt turn to Cortez Kennedy who went with the pick after we took Thomas

31 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I can't ever remember a scenario where the Jets made a move 2 weeks before the draft based on a draft pick that hadn't taken place yet. Usually things are done before the draft to give options and flexibility. With trading Sam, their is literally no other option at #2. The Jets are more locked into their pick than the Jags are.

It's definitely a strange year. 

But there literally is no option @ 2 other than QB.  We still could be wrong, right? ?

The Jets sat at 6 in 2008 and there was a consensus that the top 6 were Jake Long, Chris Long, Matt Ryan Glenn Dorsey, Darren McFadden and Vernon Gholston with a drop off after that. There was also a consensus that Gholston was the biggest bust risk among the 6. So, it was no surprise to see him slip to 6 and the Jets selecting him. While the least preferred scenario for a Jets fan, it was a foregone conclusion that it would happen because . . . . Jets.

• Upvote 2

The happiest person in the world if Jets pick Wilson will be Justin Fields. Imagine, the top two QBs in the class somehow avoiding being condemned to play for the Jets.

Jets never waste an opportunity to waste and opportunity.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I would go back a ways and say Lam Jones in 1980. They had traded Matt Robinson the prior year for Denver's #1. They were absolutely mesmerized with the idea of adding Lam with Wesley Walker. Who needed Anthony Munoz?

My recollectioni is that they loved Munoz, but he failed their medical.  There was no way he was going to be able to start 182 games in the NFL. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The happiest person in the world if Jets pick Wilson will be Justin Fields. Imagine, the top two QBs in the class somehow avoiding being condemned to play for the Jets.
Jets never waste an opportunity to waste and opportunity.
Good let him be happy ... seems like a nice kid and deserves to be a top 32 pick.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I think it was pretty obvious  we were taking Blair Thomas