Jump to content

Its like the day before the superbowl


Recommended Posts

This is certainly JD’s time to shine.  This is now completely his team. He picked the coach, his new QB, and has 21 picks over the next two years plus FA.  I think most of us have faith in him but there are no excuses now 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm semi excited but only to a point now,  All of our GMs always do something stupid it the draft.   Even in rare really good drafts like 2006 the GM does something stupid.  Even GMs I actually like and think are doing pretty well like Douglas do something stupid.

I'm afraid until I am named GM and I get to make ALL the picks from my spreadsheet from my living room while drinking beer and eating pizza I will have a certain amount of disappointment.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The game itself and the NFL season proper, September to January, I no longer find compelling.  With digital technology during the actual games, I am on my computer, my attention divided across the league between multiple games. A three hour football game, with timeouts, and ad breaks no longer stands up against the short attention span of a 21st century world. When we had compelling story lines (our coach liked feet) or characters worth rooting for, there was a reason to watch. Even the sound bites were compelling.

Today with podcasts, minute by minute draft emerging draft rumors on ever evolving digital media, it's a blast every late winter into early spring. Unknown geeks broadcasting from their basements hold our attention with football minutia. The worst teams are placed to select the great talents or the greatest busts. It's a cliff hanger and my absolute favorite time of year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freestater said:

it's like the day before the super bowl

No, it's not.

We already know who our new quarterback is going to be.  And we'll pick up a CB and a WR and a RB.  A bunch of college kids who have a 50/50 shot at maybe becoming starters.  

The draft has caused us more heartbreak than the actual Jets have.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep. Draft is our Super Bowl. Been this way for my entire life.

The Draft is the best day of the year as a Jets fan

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep. Either way, the Jets' players are just watching others on TV. 

Think of how weird it must be for rostered players who are watching the draft to see if their replacements are coming in.  Imagine being Bryce Hall or Alex Lewis tomorrow night as we approach the 23rd pick.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guilhermezmc said:

What is a superbowl

It’s the game at the end of the offseason that tells the loser teams whose the “best”.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always love draft day.

 

Here in The UK, it’s not on until 11pm and just great stay up, with my spread and predictions and watch it go down...

Two picks tomorrow makes it so much more exciting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The day before the SuperBowl I'm usually debating whether or not I even want to watch the game.....so no....it's nothing like the day before the SuperBowl for me.

Day before Christmas....at least when I was a kid...sure.

Day before I leave on vacation as an adult...yep.

Day before the SuperBowl means nothing to me...but hopefully tomorrow is the start of the process that will give me that feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ScouserJet said:

I always love draft day.

 

Here in The UK, it’s not on until 11pm and just great stay up, with my spread and predictions and watch it go down...

Two picks tomorrow makes it so much more exciting.

Compare that to Texans fans.  Here is a thread title from their forum:

Poll - Who should Texans take @ #67?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree but man I miss the old format. The first round is almost boring they stretch it out so long. 
 

Very curious to see what impact JD getting the front office of his choosing and a much bigger scouting budget will have now that his program is settled in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Agree but man I miss the old format. The first round is almost boring they stretch it out so long. 
 

Very curious to see what impact JD getting the front office of his choosing and a much bigger scouting budget will have now that his program is settled in. 

It's a tricky year.  Lot less information than usual, making scouting difficult.  I expect there will be more whiffs and lucky breaks this year than most.  A potentially reduced pre-season program will only exacerbate this.  

So while I am hopeful and even somewhat confident we have more quality in our Front Office than we've seen in a decade, there is still a lot of randomness in the process.  If the QB pick and at least half of the next four picks pan out to be quality starters, this will be a good draft, even though many here will bemoan the misses and overlook the wins.  Three starters in the first three rounds?  That would be a huge win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peebag said:

exactamundo

The bad thing is many/most of us even in our 50s were too young to see our lone SB victory. The good news is Jets are still one of 20 teams that has won a SB whereas there are 12 teams that have not. Jets have also been to 5 Conference Championship games that only about half the league can say that about. Actually that is the same amount the Giants have been in, but we take the heat in our areas since the Giants won all of those games and Jets only won one of them, though were leading after the half in 2 of them. Not claiming Jets have had so much huge amount of success over the decades, but they have accomplished more than they get credit for. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about Super Bowl. For me Draft Day is right up there with New Uniform Parties. I can never get enough JB Smoove. I still get chills just thinking about Darnold strutting out in that all white getup. What a moment.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I don't know about Super Bowl. For me Draft Day is right up there with New Uniform Parties. I can never get enough JB Smoove. I still get chills just thinking about Darnold strutting out in that all white getup. What a moment.

Season 9 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nycdan said:

It's a tricky year.  Lot less information than usual, making scouting difficult.  I expect there will be more whiffs and lucky breaks this year than most.  A potentially reduced pre-season program will only exacerbate this.  

So while I am hopeful and even somewhat confident we have more quality in our Front Office than we've seen in a decade, there is still a lot of randomness in the process.  If the QB pick and at least half of the next four picks pan out to be quality starters, this will be a good draft, even though many here will bemoan the misses and overlook the wins.  Three starters in the first three rounds?  That would be a huge win.

Great point. Let’s hope the investment pays off!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...