Jump to content

What am I missing with Penei Sewell?


Recommended Posts

I remember seeming clips and tape of Boselli Ogden, pace Walter jones and saying wow these guys can really be franchise all pro type left tackles.  I hear Sewell mentioned as a generational tackle and I look at the tape and see a guy that is athletic and makes good blocks down field ie maybe more of a left guard.  Am I missing something? Is his hype more hyperbole or is a legit HOf lt prospect bc I ain’t seeing it.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I remember seeming clips and tape of Boselli Ogden, pace Walter jones and saying wow these guys can really be franchise all pro type left tackles.  I hear Sewell mentioned as a generational tackle and I look at the tape and see a guy that is athletic and makes good blocks down field ie maybe more of a left guard.  Am I missing something? Is his hype more hyperbole or is a legit HOf lt prospect bc I ain’t seeing it.

He’s athletic. He’s very raw. He might be special but he might not be. Worthy of a high pick but he’s not a slam dunk.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s athletic. He’s very raw. He might be special but he might not be. Worthy of a high pick but he’s not a slam dunk.

That’s sounds right but it’s very different than some of the hype surrounding him 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is some truth to this but a lot of us do listen to scouts that do this for a living and use their analysis and our judgement in what our team needs to formulate opinions.  I don’t know if they are counted as media or. It.  If you are counting on guys like Stephen A or Tim hasslebeck or even people like herbstreit, I think that is a waste bc they are not scouts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just more pre draft hyperbole much like Lawrence being a generational QB.  Media just goes nuts, not only with draft picks but with teams that actually  win it.

Now all of a sudden Tampa is going to win the next 3 super bowls and have the best team in the league by far yada yada yada.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I remember seeming clips and tape of Boselli Ogden, pace Walter jones and saying wow these guys can really be franchise all pro type left tackles.  I hear Sewell mentioned as a generational tackle and I look at the tape and see a guy that is athletic and makes good blocks down field ie maybe more of a left guard.  Am I missing something? Is his hype more hyperbole or is a legit HOf lt prospect bc I ain’t seeing it.

to answer your question the pipeline of offensive linemen has dwindled to the point that guys like Ogden go to the NBA instead 

Sewell has the following attributes that scouts find attractive: 1) rare atheleticism - only 3 players over 330 have ever broad jumped over 9 feet, him, Jason Peters and Andrew Whitworth. 2) bloodlines - he has 2 uncles that played in the NFL 3) his 2019 film is spotless 4) more supply problems he and Darrisaw are the only real "sure thing" outside guys in this class due to arm length issues (and even Sewell isn't that long) 

basically it becomes harder and harder to find guys like that every year which is why teams like the Giants still employ Nate Solder and the Eagles have Andre Dillard, Jordan Mailata when they really only need one - because they are rarer than they were in the 90's. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

He probably won’t get past five. The biggest thing with him is, all the quarterbacks that are slated to go in front of him. 

Pitts and Chase are probably just as good prospects, if not slightly better

QBs 1-4 Pitts/Chase/Sewell go 5-6-7 in some order

atl could sit and take Pitts or Sewell at 4 but they could also trade out 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Pitts and Chase are probably just as good prospects 

Pitts feels like the best overall prospect in the draft, excluding positional importance. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

One could make the argument that game-changing HOF TE is an important position 

if Woody said here Bitonti you make the pick, I'd hand in the card for Pitts over Sewell at 2 and find a Qb some other time 

that's coming from someone who worshipped Sewell all spring, and Slater too. Pitts is just a freak. 

 

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/kyle-pitts-2021-nfl-draft-philadelphia-20210428.html

they don't give me a pick tho 

If we weren't allowed to take a QB, I would take Pitts as well. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slimjasi said:

If we weren't allowed to take a QB, I would take Pitts as well. 

one thing has nothing  to do with the other but they lost all those games last year - i just wish it was for a surer thing than ZW

it was the worst jets season for 30 years and it feels like they are taking all that draft capital and putting it on a coinflip 

yes they need a QB - sure do  - but reaching at a position of need over the better scouted player is classic draft mistake 101

side note the Jets need a tight end just as bad as they need anything else 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

one thing has nothing  to do with the other but they lost all those games last year - i just wish it was for a surer thing than ZW

it was the worst jets season for 30 years and it feels like they are taking all that draft capital and putting it on a coinflip 

yes they need a QB - sure do  - but reaching at a position of need over the better scouted player is classic draft mistake 101

side note the Jets need a tight end just as bad as they need anything else 

I have mixed feelings about Wilson - I would still probably take Fields over him but it is what it is at this point. Wilson is happening.

Thank god we beat the Rams and Browns . . . 

Yes, TE is a huge need. I like Pat Freiermuth a little bit if he falls to our first round 3 slot. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Pitts feels like the best overall prospect in the draft, excluding positional importance. 

Pitts can make any qb look good. Adding Sewell makes our OL top 5 in the league

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sewell won the Outland Trophy in a season where he was 18 years old week one.

He hasn't even grown into his body yet -- he's going to be a monster.

That said, he's clearly dropping a bit. I'm curious if he'd played in 2020 if that would be the case -- oddly Slater didn't play in 2020 either so it's interesting he seems to have surpassed him on many boards.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

One could make the argument that game-changing HOF TE is an important position 

if Woody said here Bitonti you make the pick, I'd hand in the card for Pitts over Sewell at 2 and find a Qb some other time 

that's coming from someone who worshipped Sewell all spring, and Slater too. Pitts is just a freak. 

 

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/kyle-pitts-2021-nfl-draft-philadelphia-20210428.html

they don't give me a pick tho 

Whether you are right or wrong I will enjoy watching this take age...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lurker89 said:

Whether you are right or wrong I will enjoy watching this take age...

I had a similar take about Josh Rosen

guess what - people only remember when you're wrong 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sewell won the Outland Trophy in a season where he was 18 years old week one.

He hasn't even grown into his body yet -- he's going to be a monster.

That said, he's clearly dropping a bit. I'm curious if he'd played in 2020 if that would be the case -- oddly Slater didn't play in 2020 either so it's interesting he seems to have surpassed him on many boards.

When the smoke clears, we will probably see three, possibly four of the top 10 draftees did not play their last season.  I wonder if that will change how some college athletes approach their required final year after an outstanding sophomore season.  COVID gave these guys an out this season, but what about in the future?  Will we see guys making 'business decisions' to not play and risk injury?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sewell won the Outland Trophy in a season where he was 18 years old week one.

He hasn't even grown into his body yet -- he's going to be a monster.

That said, he's clearly dropping a bit. I'm curious if he'd played in 2020 if that would be the case -- oddly Slater didn't play in 2020 either so it's interesting he seems to have surpassed him on many boards.

This is the same thing as people nitpicking Trevor Lawrence.  People think they’re brilliant if they take a contrarian view on a prospect who has been obviously NFL ready for years

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nycdan said:

When the smoke clears, we will probably see three of the top 10 draftees did not play their last season.  I wonder if that will change how some college athletes approach their required final year after an outstanding sophomore season.  COVID gave these guys an out this season, but what about in the future?  Will we see guys making 'business decisions' to not play and risk injury?

I think you'd need to be a truly elite prospect to pull that off without the Covid excuse. My guess is in a regular draft cycle guys would get "dinged" more for "not loving football."

But who knows. It wouldn't shock me, we're already seeing guys skip bowl games. Could see a scenario where once a team falls out of contention guys opt out after 5-6 games their junior year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think you'd need to be a truly elite prospect to pull that off without the Covid excuse. My guess is in a regular draft cycle guys would get "dinged" more for "not loving football."

But who knows. It wouldn't shock me, we're already seeing guys skip bowl games. Could see a scenario where once a team falls out of contention guys opt out after 5-6 games their junior year.

Why arent these people going after Jamar Chase for doing the same exact thing as Penei Sewell?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I had a similar take about Josh Rosen

guess what - people only remember when you're wrong 

I'll try to remember if you are right... No promises 😜

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

He has the highest upside of any potential offensive tackle in the draft.  Many fans/pundits had the same concerns with Becton.  So far, he looks to be a gem.

You can never know for sure.  Lots of moving parts, not least is coaching and system/

Think about pro prospects as if they were a war plane, tank or ship.  The machine with the best statistics, ie speed, powerful gun, latest electronics, stealth etc. is not necessarily the one that will win the war. 

If you give a squadron of F-22's, a bunch of Abrams tanks and a fleet of contemporary naval vessels to a country that does not have the command & control system or logistics in place to operate those machines, all of that very expensive hardware would be meat on the table for a country that was using 1970's military hardware but also had top notch command & control along with professional training and ideal logistics.

System & Coaching 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...