I believe Joe Douglas will regret taking Zach Wilson over Trey Lance.

I just saw a interview with Merill Hodge that increases my concerns about Wilson. Merill Hodge son was the starter at BYU before Wilson, so he actually has inside knowledge of the situation. He even states that BYU was miles ahead of their competition, and when Wilson did play similar talent, he didn't play like the same player. He also goes on to say that Wilson's attitude can bother some people. These issues are commonly ignored by Wilson fanboys despite being legitimate red flags. When you include reports that he wasn't originally made a captain his senior year despite being a 3 year starter, there are legitimate concerns about his leadership and his level of competition. 

On the other hand, the more I hear about Trey Lance, the more I'm convinced he should go #2. There are numerous reports of people going out of their way to say his intangibles are just special. In terms of Xs & Os, many say he is advanced for his age, and the best in the class. Adam Schefter even reported that the 49ers are reconsidering their pick because they were so impressed by Lance once they finally spent time with him. Lance is taller, bigger, faster, smarter, has a stronger arm, younger and has a much higher ceiling.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

I just saw a interview with Merill Hodge that increases my concerns about Wilson. Merill Hodge son was the starter at BYU before Wilson, so he actually has inside knowledge of the situation. He even states that BYU was miles ahead of their competition, and when Wilson did play similar talent, he didn't play like the same player. He also goes on to say that Wilson's attitude can bother some people. These issues are commonly ignored by Wilson fanboys despite being legitimate red flags. When you include reports that he wasn't originally made a captain his senior year despite being a 3 year starter, there are legitimate concerns about his leadership and his level of competition. 

On the other hand, the more I hear about Trey Lance, the more I'm convinced he should go #2. There are numerous reports of people going out of their way to say his intangibles are just special. In terms of Xs & Os, many say he is advanced for his age, and this best in the class. Adam Schefter even reported that the 49ers are reconsidering their pick because they were so impressed by Lance once they finally spent time with him. Lance is taller, bigger, faster, smarter, has a stronger arm, younger and has a much higher ceiling.

image.jpeg.aea190d0207caaef48919db716b7f05b.jpeg

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It just needs to be made clear that this is factually incorrect.

The guy in the video even says it, and his son played at BYU with Wilson. 

So you Wilson fan boys just ignore facts. Wilson fanboys are special. They defend all his flaws before he is even on the roster. Wilson fanboys act like he is a perfect prospect.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

On the other hand, the more I hear about Trey Lance, the more I'm convinced he should go #2. There are numerous reports of people going out of their way to say his intangibles are just special. In terms of Xs & Os, many say he is advanced for his age, and this best in the class. Adam Schefter even reported that the 49ers are reconsidering their pick because they were so impressed by Lance once they finally spent time with him. Lance is taller, bigger, faster, smarter, has a stronger arm, younger and has a much higher ceiling.

NDS is the Alabama of that conference, and what exactly is wrong with Wilson’s attitude? I keep hearing this but nothing directly explaining the issues. I’m genuinely curious 

So your concerns are level of competition (something that has been brought up as a concern ad nauseum by almost every analyst and 'fan') and that his 'attitude' can 'bother' some people? Are you serious. This is it? I mean, I get a lot of Zach Wilson criticism and reasoning for not drafting him #2 overall but if this is all you got its pretty weak. 

Also, I've heard a lot of people gush over Wilson's intangibles, his knowledge of X's and O's, his ability to pick up offensive concepts quickly and him being a film rat. There's just no evidence to suggest Lance is 'smarter'. His arm strength is great. It's pretty much on the same level of Lance's (his release in much quicker). And Lance may have a higher ceiling but he's much more of a boom or bust prospect.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

So you Wilson fan boys just ignore facts. Wilson fanboys are special. They defend all his flaws before he is even on the roster. Wilson fanboys act like he is a perfect prospect.

Fact checking? 

The guy in the video says it. 

FACT!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

Alright man, what do you want us to do? 

18 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

LOL

Hodge:  "I think this kid has a chance to be fabulous, I really do"

LOL  How is Zach ever going to recover from that.  :) 

22 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

R09a756ca0dca2dadc6553c70ed401891?rik=bl

• Haha 1

Just now, HamBilly said:

I'm not a Wilson fanboy. Gun to my head I think I'd take Fields.

I just don't like when people lie or spread factually incorrect information.

It's just not correct to suggest that BYU only played inferior talent and that Wilson struggled against anyone who wasn't inferior competition. It is bullsh*t.

Boise State has defeated BYU in recruiting every year for the last 4 years. They have better players. Against Boise State Zach went 22 of 28 for 360 yards with 3 TDs and 0 INTs.

Houston has defeated BYU in recruiting every year for the last 4 years. They have better players. Against Houston Zach went 25 of 35 for 400 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

But those aren't Power 5 you say? (Neither is BYU)

Well, in 2019 (a season in which he was injured and didn't' play that well in general) he went 19 of 29 for 232 yards with 1 TD and 0 INTs against Tennessee -- an SEC team on the road. BYU won the game.

The next week against a ranked USC team from the Pac-12 he went 20 of 33 for 280 yards with 1 TD and 0 INTs. BYU won that game too.

I'm not going to act like he's god's gift but he narrative that he only played inferior competition is 100% false and should be called out as such.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

So this your second thread as a Buffalo Bills  troll? Do I got that right? 

• Haha 1

I like Lance more than I like Wilson. That being said, I am resigned to Wilson being the pick. Wilson has film from last year to examine, and Lance does not - and folks seem to discount his 2019 season film. I think Lance is more athletic and solid; both seem to be capable of making the mental leap to the NFL. Wilson is more ready now, but will hit his ceiling sooner, and I wonder how he will stand up physically.  I think Lance long run will be the best QB in this class, and he is built to be available - a good trait to have in the NFL. But I know I am in the small minority here.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately if that's the case, hindsight is always 20/20 but you would be very hard pressed to find ANYONE that would support JD taking Lance over Wilson. If JD takes Lance at 2, knowing damn well we don't have an established QB for him to sit behind for 2 years, he would be ripped apart and probably wouldn't last long enough to see Lance get on the field by the time the NY media is done with him 

• Upvote 1