How will you spend Draft night? (The annual What are you cooking? Where you going? What are ya drinking? Thread)

Just now, Warfish said:

Annual traditions:

1. Laying on my coach, wife advised it's a good night to chill with her friends

2. Gyro meat, Pepperoni and Feta Cheese Pizza

3. Bourbon or Rye-based cocktails

Never really tried rye until a month ago; just never got around to it, but I was gifted some BH rye. It wasn't so different (their bourbon is less sweet than 4R, too), but didn't care for it as much. What do you like mixing it with? Otherwise I don't see myself reaching for that over any bourbons in the house, and the bottle will just sit there for show lol. 

Oh, yeah and for the OP. Bourbon neat and pizza, unless Mrs. Sperm insists on ordering in something else. It's quieter if the queen bee gets her way. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Never really tried rye until a month ago; just never got around to it, but I was gifted some BH rye. It wasn't so different (their bourbon is less sweet than 4R, too), but didn't care for it as much. What do you like mixing it with? Otherwise I don't see myself reaching for that over any bourbons in the house, and the bottle will just sit there for show lol. 

Oh, yeah and for the OP. Bourbon neat and pizza, unless Mrs. Sperm insists on ordering in something else. It's quieter if the queen bee gets her way. 

Rye is generally much spicier, often sweeter, less astringent than Bourbon, but with a distinct bite bourbon with it's corn smoothness lacks.

Rye fits in almost everything bourbon does, but a Classic is Rye & Ginger with a splash of lime juice.  Really good, refreshing, tangy, sharp, good stuff.  

I love Rye in a equal-parts mix of Rye (or Bourbon) + Amaretto + Sicillian Amaro.  Like a mature cola for serious adults!  One of my favorites.

Rye Manhattens and Old Fashions are also staples for me.

And I always like my firt taste of any new Rye (or any brown liquor honestly) to be neat, room temperature, really get the taste of what I'm having, and where it might work best. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rye is generally much spicier, often sweeter, less astringent than Bourbon, but with a distinct bite bourbon with it's corn smoothness lacks.

Rye fits in almost everything bourbon does, but a Classic is Rye & Ginger with a splash of lime juice.  Really good, refreshing, tangy, sharp, good stuff.  

I love Rye in a equal-parts mix of Rye (or Bourbon) + Amaretto + Sicillian Amaro.  Like a mature cola for serious adults!  One of my favorites.

Rye Manhattens and Old Fashions are also staples for me.

And I always like my firt taste of any new Rye (or any brown liquor honestly) to be neat, room temperature, really get the taste of what I'm having, and where it might work best. 

Quite the different booze culture up here in Canada.  It is all about Rye here, Bourbon is a rarity as far as most peoples choice and scotch for more an upper crust whisky snob drink.

43 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I’m typing this post from about 35,000 ft.  Flying back to NJ to see my father who I haven’t seen in almost 2 years due to Covid.  Grilling some steaks, drinking some beers, cursing the Jets draft picks, and throwing things at the TV are a strong part of a father/son bond and I’m looking forward to this.  By the end of Day 2 we’ve usually come around to convincing ourselves that the Jets are hitting a home run (even if they aren’t).

The old man isn’t quite up to manning the BBQ anymore so I’ll be out back firing up some ribeyes and twice baked potatoes on his grill, with a Jack Daniels by my side.  We’ll tell the same stories we always tell.  I’ll remind him that taking me as a kid to that Jets-Dolphins game in 1986 where O’Brien out-dueled Marino in OT was the gateway drug that made me (cursed me) a Jets fan for life.  We’ll debate 3-4 vs. 4-3 (again) and talk about the completely underrated value of special teams (again) when he reminds me that a full one-third of a football game is spent with both your offense and defense on the sideline (“There’s hidden yardage in the kicking games as Parcells always said,” he reminds me.) Good times.

So how will you be spending this Draft, a draft where the Jets are pretty loaded with picks compared to years past and are about to dive headfirst into a rebuild around (yet another) rookie QB?

However you plan to do it, enjoy this Jets draft!  Lord knows we haven’t enjoyed Jets games the past few years.

Go Jets!

So it's his fault that you're a suffering Jets fan? LOL

I'll probably be drinking and end up pleasantly drunk with dreams of the a franchise QB dancing in my head...again.

Enjoy your reunion with your old man!

34FBEECC-F4F1-45D1-BE07-31D71D41439D.thumb.jpeg.8bf94ac6233ba839253d7d8491ab9617.jpeg

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Quite the different booze culture up here in Canada.  It is all about Rye here, Bourbon is a rarity as far as most peoples choice and scotch for more an upper crust whisky snob drink.

hey, thems fightin' words aye!

One of the best things the Scotts brought over from the old country is single malt

None of my friends who care about football are up in VT, so I will probably take out a nice, big pizza and wash it down with some Switchback Ales. (None of them care about the Jets - the stupid buggers.) And maybe an edible 420 product. Glaucoma runs in the family, so I am aggressive about preventative measures.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

hey, thems fightin' words aye!

One of the best things the Scotts brought over from the old country is single malt

Oh don;t get me wrong , I love scotch and good scotch the perception is there that it is a more 'high class' drink than rye which is more of a basic drink with mix.

Wings in the air fryer. Chips and dip

Spending 30 minutes before the draft starts telling my wife about the off season so far and what the jets need and should do in the draft 

Crushing disappointment ensues 

spend the rest of the night with you jokers lol 

Well it starts at 1am over here,  so I’ll be mainlining coffee to try and keep me going! 

Got a load of bets placed, so keeping track of them will help keep me awake and alive between the Jets two picks. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I’m typing this post from about 35,000 ft.  Flying back to NJ to see my father who I haven’t seen in almost 2 years due to Covid.  Grilling some steaks, drinking some beers, cursing the Jets draft picks, and throwing things at the TV are a strong part of a father/son bond and I’m looking forward to this.  By the end of Day 2 we’ve usually come around to convincing ourselves that the Jets are hitting a home run (even if they aren’t).

The old man isn’t quite up to manning the BBQ anymore so I’ll be out back firing up some ribeyes and twice baked potatoes on his grill, with a Jack Daniels by my side.  We’ll tell the same stories we always tell.  I’ll remind him that taking me as a kid to that Jets-Dolphins game in 1986 where O’Brien out-dueled Marino in OT was the gateway drug that made me (cursed me) a Jets fan for life.  We’ll debate 3-4 vs. 4-3 (again) and talk about the completely underrated value of special teams (again) when he reminds me that a full one-third of a football game is spent with both your offense and defense on the sideline (“There’s hidden yardage in the kicking games as Parcells always said,” he reminds me.) Good times.

So how will you be spending this Draft, a draft where the Jets are pretty loaded with picks compared to years past and are about to dive headfirst into a rebuild around (yet another) rookie QB?

However you plan to do it, enjoy this Jets draft!  Lord knows we haven’t enjoyed Jets games the past few years.

Go Jets!

In tears. 

• Upvote 1

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for 7:15 AM on Friday morning. So I hope my prep is complete by the time the draft kicks off otherwise I'll be sitting on the thrown while blaring the TV (on NFL channel) and following JetNation on my wireless laptop looking for updates.

*note - it sucks that I can't drink and curse JD if I don't like the pick/move at #23.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Historically I’ve done boneless wings, cheese fries, and beer. But with the way the Jets have drafted over the years I’m making a change.

What exactly I’m doing needs to be ironed out. Sushi and shrimp are in play, as are pizza and steak. I’d like something I can crush over an extended period. And it’ll likely be brown liquor - there’s a local distillery whose rye I’ve been hoping for an excuse to try - maybe sake if I go the sushi route.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Go Jets!

Enjoy the time with your Dad that's great to hear @Jetstream23 hopefully they do not disappoint but you know we are always in for a world of pain.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1