Will the Jets trade for (or trade away) a player during the Draft?

Does anyone think the Jets might trade one of their picks for a player tomorrow?  Or, might they trade someone away?

I think there’s a slight chance they move Mosely tomorrow.  His contract is tough to move, but I think they might be looking to move on from him, maybe as part of a deal to move up in a Round.

In terms of players they might trade for, I’ve had a sneaking suspicion the Jets might make a trade for Zach Ertz.  Sure, they signed Kroft and have Herndon and Griffin (but probably both for only one more year), but they’ve also taken themselves out of the Kyle Pitts sweepstakes by committing to use the #2 on a QB.  I’m wondering if the Jets might try to land Ertz who was drafted when. Douglas was in Philly.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Does anyone think the Jets might trade one of their picks for a player tomorrow?  Or, might they trade someone away?

I think there’s a slight chance they move Mosely tomorrow.  His contract is tough to move, but I think they might be looking to move on from him, maybe as part of a deal to move up in a Round.

In terms of players they might trade for, I’ve had a sneaking suspicion the Jets might make a trade for Zach Ertz.  Sure, they signed Kroft and have Herndon and Griffin (but probably both for only one more year), but they’ve also taken themselves out of the Kyle Pitts sweepstakes by committing to use the #2 on a QB.  I’m wondering if the Jets might try to land Ertz who was drafted when. Douglas was in Philly.

Oh, please make this happen, Rumplestiltskin

Jets GM Joe Douglas Was Spotted Sleeping Through Most Of ...

42 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Herndon is absolutely awful. He cannot start this year. We need a reliable tight end to help Wilson. Herndon is not a starter in the NFL. 

I agree 100%. Pat Freirmuth should be available at 34.....he will be add a lot to this offense. WR is very deep again that position can wait.

Add a TE, a RB and at least 1 olineman in the first 3 picks ( after ZWilson) i am a happy man.

• Sympathy 1

Maybe Mosley, being the last crappy Mac contract still on the books. Don't see JD trading for a 30 year old Ertz on the downside of his career. He seems to value youth. 

Don't see a guy like Crowder going anywhere. He's like the one reliable receiver the Jets have. Need a player like that with a rookie QB. Don't see Maye going anywhere this year, either, Jets are thin at safety. Crowder and Maye are both FAs after the season, and I think this is will be the off season that JD tries to start the comp picks coming in. Those are guys who will get decent contracts, and maybe net a 5th or better. 

• Upvote 2

i would love Ertz

i do not for the life of me understand the Mosley hate.

1. even with 2 years off he is better then any linebacker we have by a mile

2. he has a big dead money number whether he is cut or traded

3. regardless if he "fits" into our new defensive scheme...he is so much more talented then any LB on the roster...its irrelevant

its like some of you have a personal vendetta vs the guy for opting out and then being photographed at a bar without a mask, when in reality we are so devoid of talent paying a guy NOT to play for us is the dumbest thing i ever heard.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i would love Ertz

3. regardless if he "fits" into our new defensive scheme...he is so much more talented then any LB on the roster...its irrelevant

its like some of you have a personal vendetta vs the guy for opting out and then being photographed at a bar without a mask, when in reality we are so devoid of talent paying a guy NOT to play for us is the dumbest thing i ever heard.

If the Jets trade Mosley, they get a net cap savings. He didn't have a large signing bonus, it's the guarantees left in his salaries that carry the heavy cost ($14M over the next two years). 

20 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i would love Ertz

He played 2 games in 2 years making 17m dollars a year

I wonder if the Saints would trade Lattimore for our second rounder. 

i know they want more but that’s as much as I would be willing to give and if the pick comes around and they really like a player that’s there plus need the cap relief - I would be down with that as long as we already selected an OL at 23 

13 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

He played 2 games in 2 years making 17m dollars a year

what does that have to do with anything? this is exactly the type of dumb sh*t i am talking about....so u got nothing out of him for your money...and the thing to do now is to make sure you cant get any of that value back by dumping him for a conditional 6th?

20 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets trade Mosley, they get a net cap savings. He didn't have a large signing bonus, it's the guarantees left in his salaries that carry the heavy cost ($14M over the next two years). 

how would this change say next year? again...we have cap and our roster is prob bottom third in football.

10 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

how would this change say next year? again...we have cap and our roster is prob bottom third in football.

I'm not chasing the guy out of town, I'm just saying that -financially- there's no downside to trading him. Cutting him would be another matter entirely. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not chasing the guy out of town, I'm just saying that -financially- there's no downside to trading him. Cutting him would be another matter entirely. 

ok, i guess that makes sense if we decided to trade him for the sake of trading him.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Maybe Mosley, being the last crappy Mac contract still on the books. Don't see JD trading for a 30 year old Ertz on the downside of his career. He seems to value youth. 

Don't see a guy like Crowder going anywhere. He's like the one reliable receiver the Jets have. Need a player like that with a rookie QB. Don't see Maye going anywhere this year, either, Jets are thin at safety. Crowder and Maye are both FAs after the season, and I think this is will be the off season that JD tries to start the comp picks coming in. Those are guys who will get decent contracts, and maybe net a 5th or better. 

The reason to trade for Ertz is the exact reason you used for retaining Crowder.  I agree that ideally JD wouldn’t be trading for older guys but given the TE platoon of the Jets right now I think he wants a better veteran TE who can produce consistently.  Guys like Ertz and Crowder run routes well and predictably, they’re where you expect them to be.... and that’s a source of comfort for a rookie QB.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If you can get year one herndon back he was looking pretty good and could maybe be salvaged with a competent coaching staff

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I’m not going to rely on Herndon. We are about to draft a rookie QB, this can possibly be the time we draft the right guy. I want to surround him with talent. Having a tight end is imperative for all QBs, especially a rookie QB. I’m not relying on that scrub. 

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Since  they are rebuilding and resetting salaries is important to them   I don’t see them trading for expensive veterans. Maybe a 6th rounder again but if you are committed to youth, stay the course.