The Official Draft Day Thread

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What makes you say that? I think it's pretty clear we needed to get ahead of the Raiders for AVT.

I think sitting pat and getting Darrisaw would have been equally as good a pick as AVT, I never expected Darrisaw to fall to #23.

With that said, I'm not weeping over it or anything :)  I'm very happy with AVT as our pick, and the fact that AVT (i.e. OLINE!) was the pick in and of itself.

With THAT Said, lol, I don;t see "recoup 3rd rounders so we can draft more Perines, Zunigas and Morgans" as a big priority.

Day 1 starter.  If Trader Joe trades down, he better still net some Day 1 starters, because there IS plenty of those sitting available at spots we still desperately need at #34.

If he trades down a few, and snags two Day 1 starters, then props to him.

If he trades down and we end up with guys who don't contribute, then not so much.

That's all. :)

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I want a day 1 starter at #34, it's basically a 1st round pick.

I'm not interested in trading down for a couple of Morgan/Perine/Zuniga/Clark non-entities.

If there is a legit Day 1 starter who will contribute to this team, I want them.  Not project players.

I'm glad we got AVT, he was one I wanted at #23, but in hindsight, we jumped the gun, AVT and Darrisaw would likely have both been sitting available at #23.

The cost of that is those mid-round project guys.  Sorry.  Draft a starter at #34, don't get tricky or smug or think you're smarter than everyone else JD.  You're not.

Amen, no more ******* scrubs. Get athletes in here. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

ISo other than Pennington, because he always seems to get mentioned, who else has had that surgery and cut their career short? I don't give a sh*t what you think is worth debating, you're the one that jumped in. You can see your way out.

FWIW, I was listening to a podcast the other day where the guest was an orthopedic surgeon.  He was asked about Chad's injury history realtive to Wilson.  He explained that Chad had full open surgery, which would result in scar tissue that impacts range of motion, which is why he felt Chad was never the same after the surgery.

Wilson had arthroscopic surgery, a less invasive procedure and a full recovery is much more likely than it was in Chad's case.  His view, having not examined Wilson, was that Wilson should not be impacted by the injury going forward and is no more at risk of recurrence than any other QB.

IWilson was never my first choice.  But he is ours now, so I sure hope he succeeds.  I would imagine the Jets medical staff did their due diligence on the injury history and were not concerned either.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Lith said:

FWIW, I was listening to a podcast the other day where the guest was an orthopedic surgeon.  He was asked about Chad's injury history realtive to Wilson.  He explained that Chad had full open surgery, which would result in scar tissue that impacts range of motion, which is why he felt Chad was never the same after the surgery.

Wilson had arthroscopic surgery, a less invasive procedure and a full recovery is much mnore likely that it was in Chad's case.  His view, having not examined Wilson, was that Wilson should not be impacted by the injury going forward and is not more at risk of recurrence than any other QB.

IWilson was never my first choice.  But he is ours now, so I sure hope he succeeds.  I would imagine the Jets medical staff did their due diligence on the injury history and were not concerned either.

Good info. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

NO chance AVT was there at #23.  It always sucks giving up capital, but that is literally why you make multiple moves every year so you have extra draft capital to go get someone you really like.  There is no such thing as a can't miss player, but AVT might be about as close as you get for a guard.  IF he plays as well as expected, nobody will care it cost us two #3's.

Hard to say.  Raiders are well known for making crazy picks, it's no sure thing they go AVT instead of reaching on Leatherwood.

Regardless, Darrisaw would have been an equally huge O-line upgrade for us IMO.  

Like I said above, not weeping over the move in any form, AVT was a guy I wanted at a position I wanted and we got him.  Hard to really complain.

My point is the "must trade down and get 3rd rounders" idea.  No, we don't IMO.  We need another legit day 1 starter as a position of need, and there are a number of those sitting starting at us right now.

I don't prefer to trade back if it costs us that starter for guys like Morgan/Clark/Perine/Zuniga.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

I've read a few times on here the Jets tried trading up with the Packers to draft Elijah Moore.  Can someone explain where that is coming from?

Interesting.  Tony pauline has been saying for a while that the jets were into trading up, so I’d be curious to see what he says about the jets plans today.  He nailed it last night.

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

NO chance AVT was there at #23.  It always sucks giving up capital, but that is literally why you make multiple moves every year so you have extra draft capital to go get someone you really like.  There is no such thing as a can't miss player, but AVT might be about as close as you get for a guard.  IF he plays as well as expected, nobody will care it cost us two #3's.

Additionally, there is literally not one player who will be available in the 3rd round who we don't have the capital to go up and get, if we need to.  If one of the centers slides, trade our 2 4s, and next years 3 and go get him, if need be.  It's the 3rd round.  There won't be an issue.

Stay the course, get another good player and 34, and we've made meaningful improvements to this roster already.

All, barring, Wilson not being terrible.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm not interested in trading down for a couple of Morgan/Perine/Zuniga/Clark non-entities.

If there is a legit Day 1 starter who will contribute to this team, I want them.  Not project players.

I'm glad we got AVT, he was one I wanted at #23, but in hindsight, we jumped the gun, AVT and Darrisaw would likely have both been sitting available at #23.

The cost of that is those mid-round project guys.  Sorry.  Draft a starter at #34, don't get tricky or smug or think you're smarter than everyone else JD.  You're not.

Hard to know if he'd have been there.  Can't fault Douglas for going for the guy they wanted.  Maybe he slides.  Maybe someone else jumps ahead of us.  Too many variables.  If you think this guy is a keystone guard, you make the investment to be certain.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

It’s a big reason why I’ve been saying for years that you tune into the NFLN for draft day coverage.

You want Eisen, Jeremiah, Shaw and Davis...or do you want dickholes like Greenberg, Booger (good god), Kiper and McShay?

There is no decision here

this was my first year watching nfl network coverage.  sooooo much better.  and as a jets fan/michigan alum (hence jetblue), i'm a huge rich eisen fan

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Additionally, there is literally not one player who will be available in the 3rd round who we don't have the capital to go up and get, if we need to.  If one of the centers slides, trade our 2 4s, and next years 3 and go get him, if need be.  It's the 3rd round.  There won't be an issue.

Stay the course, get another good player and 34, and we've made meaningful improvements to this roster already.

All, barring, Wilson not being terrible.

Yeah, I see a few people saying that we gave up too much to go up but at the same time saying we shouldn't trade back for an extra third because we should get a starter with 34. Either the thirds are valuable or not. And like you said, it's easy to trade back up.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

As bad as we need to upgrade RT we still have zero depth at WR.  We are one Mims hamstring away from a repeat of last year’s sh tshow at WR

do you even look at the roster or just make crap up

last year, the jets opened with an injured perriman, an injured mims, crowder (who got injured), and then guys like berios, j. smith and v. smith

this year they have corey davis, an assumedly healthy mims, crowder and keelan cole in addition to those other guys.

cole may not be a sexy name, but he had 55 catches for 642 yds and 5 TDs last year.  that's not bad for a WR4

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hard to say.  Raiders are well known for making crazy picks, it's no sure thing they go AVT instead of reaching on Leatherwood.

Like I said above, not weeping over the move in any form, AVT was a guy I wanted at a position I wanted and we got him.  Hard to really complain.

My point is the "must trade down and get 3rd rounders" idea.  No, we don't IMO.  We need another legit day 1 starter as a position of need, and there are a number of those sitting starting at us right now.

I don't prefer to trade back if it costs us that starter for guys like Morgan/Clark/Perine/Zuniga.  

i get what your saying, but it really depends on how far they drop back and what they get in return.

if they are able to move back say 10 spots and still get a quality player (say e. moore, marshall, j. williams, samuel, molden, and possibly a lineman like jenkins, eichenberg or dickerson) and then use the gained pick to get someone like a RB (carter, sermon, gainwell) or WR (r. moore, collins) or a lineman or CB that falls, then i'm all in favor of moving back.

probably wouldn't want to drop more than 10 spots (i listed 8 above and that doesn't include any of edge rushers or LBs we may consider).  not sure if that gets you a 3rd, but probably a 4th, so you can package some later picks to move into the 3rd and grab someone else

• Upvote 1

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/all-access-the-call-that-made-ol-alijah-vera-tucker-a-jet

Sorry, I can't find this on twitter or somewhere I could embed it, but this is the call to AVT.

The genuine excitement to have this guy is palpable.  It jumps out more than these typical calls.  More so, then even the Zach Wilson call.

No doubt, the Jets got their guy.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/all-access-the-call-that-made-ol-alijah-vera-tucker-a-jet

Sorry, I can't find this on twitter or somewhere I could embed it, but this is the call to AVT.

The genuine excitement to have this guy is palpable.  It jumps out more than these typical calls.  More so, then even the Zach Wilson call.

I also look at this as insurance if Becton continues to miss snaps or miss games and you can easily plug in Vera-Tucker. You can do that at both Tackle spots nice versatility there and I bet thats exactly why Douglas wanted him so much to trade up and get him

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

JD: "We're going to be strong up front."

Saleh: "This offensive line that we're building is going to be special."

They're not done with the O-Line. I have a feeling we're going to get another big boy up front today. :)

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

They're not done with the O-Line. I have a feeling we're going to get another big boy up front today. :)

I'm even speaking more about the affect of Douglas, which you also see in the brief clip that's been around here with his fist pump prior to hugging Saleh.

There's no doubt the Jets got exactly who they wanted.

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Maybe but even if we don't, we appear to have upgraded it massively.  Between the new system, and adding AVT, we should expect a much more competent level of play across the board.  A better Guard helps the Center, who can also now help the other Guard a bit more as needed.  We also don't know what, if anything, Clark can bring but at least we may get to find out this year.

Yesterday, the OL was a burning need.  Now I consider it addressed enough that we can go another way if we want to and maybe add a Day 3 pick if we like someone.  It's not perfect, but it's not awful anymore.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

A elevated risk =/= a definite future of missed time or reinjury.  It's just a risk.

If you don't think a history of throwing arm labrum surgery for a QB is a risk, you're not worth debating on the topic.

So why is he an elevated risk? Are you a doctor? Can you give examples of QBs who have suffered torn labrum and reinjured their shoulders? Chad Pennington had torn rotator cuffs which are vastly different than labrum injuries. 

38 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Are you a doctor?

Are you?

Can you give examples of QBs who have suffered torn labrum and reinjured their shoulders?

Nope.  Not doing a medical research project for you just to argue this point.

Chad Pennington had torn rotator cuffs which are vastly different than labrum injuries. 

If you guys want to believe it isn't a risk, feel free. 

Since many of you already don't think any of the other raised issues with Wilson are risks either, I wouldn't expect you to see this as a risk.

I guess we should all be thankful, we got the only QB prospect in history who comes with no risks whatsoever.  Good times.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are you?

Nope.  Not doing a medical research project for you just to argue this point.

If you guys want to believe it isn't a risk, feel free. 

Since many of you already don't think any of the other raised issues with Wilson are risks either, I wouldn't expect you to see this as a risk.

I guess we should all be thankful, we got the only QB prospect in history who comes with no risks whatsoever.  Good times.

I did the research in the layman way and the takeaway is that this isn’t really a long term issue and he’s no more at risk than the average QB to injure himself. There are YouTube videos of doctors explaining Wilson’s shoulder injury and why it’s not a risk going forward. 

You made up a conclusion and then pretended like you had legs to stand on. If youu wanna discuss Wilson’s negatives, that’s legitimate. If you wanna pretend like you’ve given more than a cursory thought to his injury and what it actually means in terms of risk, then you’re full of it.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was reading about Baltimore’s success in the draft the other day and the GM basically said we’ve had the most picks and that’s why we’ve done so well. There’s a degree of randomness to picking players and having extra opportunities to draft guys leads to more hits and better drafts. That was the result of a conscious decision to attempt to acquire compensatory picks, not a stage the Jets are at now, and trade down as possible.

Thought it was particularly insightful since that’s where Douglas started and cut his teeth, and that’s what he did a lot of last year as well. And I’m glad he showed the flexibility to move up too like he did last night after supposedly being willing to do it last year.

The bold at the end of your post struck me funny, not because you’re wrong because I understand where you’re coming from, but to me if there’s a trade offer on the table then taking the guy they think is the best rather than acquiring capital and getting another bite at the apple is what strikes me personally as thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

• Upvote 1

I think sitting pat and getting Darrisaw would have been equally as good a pick as AVT, I never expected Darrisaw to fall to #23.

With that said, I'm not weeping over it or anything :)  I'm very happy with AVT as our pick, and the fact that AVT (i.e. OLINE!) was the pick in and of itself.

With THAT Said, lol, I don;t see "recoup 3rd rounders so we can draft more Perines, Zunigas and Morgans" as a big priority.

Day 1 starter.  If Trader Joe trades down, he better still net some Day 1 starters, because there IS plenty of those sitting available at spots we still desperately need at #34.

If he trades down a few, and snags two Day 1 starters, then props to him.

If he trades down and we end up with guys who don't contribute, then not so much.

That's all. :)

This year is about plug in starters so they next year with a few more plug in starters we can then start looking for those diamond in the rough types. In this case the rough is the Jets history of 3rd round maybes. But today? Right now? We 100% need to pick a ready right play and contribute now type 

• Upvote 1

The way the board looks now, I think they can trade down 10 spots ish and still get an immediate starter.  

I agree, don't trade down just for the sake of it.  It also depends on how JD has his board stacked.