Why the Jets will trade CJ Mosley in the coming days

If the Jets do trade Mosley, it won't have a huge impact on the salary cap this year. They'll save $1.5 million in cap space while carrying $6 million of his contract as dead money. The big impact would come in 2022, when his new team would be responsible for his scheduled $17.5 million cap hit, not the Jets.

But getting a new team to take on that contract and getting something useful in return, considering Mosley hasn't played in nearly two years, seems like a very difficult task for Douglas.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2021/03/15/ny-jets-c-j-mosley-trade-wont-easy-but-could-happen/4709105001/

Were going to have a 30 year old 3-4 LB in a 4-3 system that we're going to get stuck paying 17.5m next year if he is not traded. Combine that with a small cap hit of 6m this year for the team trading him and he's somewhat attractive.

For 17m we could land any FA we want. The Jets already leaked teams have called about him. Look for this to happen even if it's for a 5th or 6th rounder. 

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Hard to Understand the hate for this man ,, injury and an opt out , true his contract sucks , but he plays like he did in that game in Buffalo hes still an All-Pro LB . Now if Saleh cant use cool , trade him , but i just cant see how Saleh couldnt use him . 

My biggest issue is all the time he missed.  I think it would be unrealistic for him to be a big factor this year considering he hasn’t played a game in almost two years 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Hard to Understand the hate for this man ,, injury and an opt out , true his contract sucks , but he plays like he did in that game in Buffalo hes still an All-Pro LB . Now if Saleh cant use cool , trade him , but i just cant see how Saleh couldnt use him . 

He’s not fast enough to be an every down 4-3 LB.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think we already have more than enough space to do both.

Maybe

I’m not exactly sure what our cap situation is right now.

But we need $10-12 million for our rookie class, another $6-8 million for in-season acquisitions and I’m sure Douglas would like to roll over a chunk to next year as well.

Just now, The Crusher said:

Because he was drafted by a team that runs a 3-4? 

As a 3-4 ILB his main job was filling in gaps at the LOS.  Now he’s going to have to play in a lot more space and I don’t think he has the quickness for it nor is that really his game to begin with

There’s a reason JD is begging teams to take him

Just now, Philc1 said:

As a 3-4 ILB his main job was filling in gaps at the LOS.  Now he’s going to have to play in a lot more space and I don’t think he has the quickness for it nor is that really his game to begin with

There’s a reason JD is begging teams to take him

Especially after two years off. Sucks though, for that 3/4 of the one game  he played guy was most explosive and impactful player we’ve had on D for a bit. It was amazing how the D dropped off when he came out. Kind of impact player Adams should have been. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe

I’m not exactly sure what our cap situation is right now.

But we need $10-12 million for our rookie class, another $6-8 million for in-season acquisitions and I’m sure Douglas would like to roll over a chunk to next year as well.

So great opportunity to plug a fantastic resources - overthecap.com

Here's your answer from the list of team cap space.  We are 2nd in the league still with roughly $25M available.  JAX has $39M and six other teams have over $20M.  And that's not counting any restructurings, which many teams have abused to the point that they really can't do any more.

So if a FA becomes available, we can absolutely be in the hunt.  Yes, rolling over is nice but we have the 5th highest cap space next year already as well so it's not really imperative.  

Short answer: We do NOT need to trade Mosely or anyone else for cap space as things stand right now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This is my hope too boss. But just seems a long shot, especially after seeing what time off did to LeVeon Bell. Yikes!! 

Time off + going from PIT's OL to NYJ's OL plus going from Tomlin to Gase plus....

well you get it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, fullblast said:

If I understand correctly, the 17M in cap relief would come next year. Could land a top tier OL or WR next offseason with that money.

We could have landed one this offseason.  Cap space is not the reason we didn't.  I honestly don't know what was.

He hasn’t played football in 2 years. Nobody stops doing anything for 2 years and comes back without missing a beat. Add to that we now have a new regime running a D that does not fit his skill set and you begin to realize that 17.5m next year has already begun swirling down the toilet. But the hate you don’t understand comes from the fact he opted out for “safety” reasons, yet found himself maskless in a bar like a month afterwards while his team was getting skinned alive every Sunday. So yea, not a lot of love for the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The premise of the thread is that the Jets will trade Mosley, but all the reasons you think the Jets will trade him are the reasons teams won't want him.  Missing two seasons with a huge contrat due that will still have a ton of dead money?  Possibly a limited scheme fit?  Are NFL GMs lining up?  I'm not sure you can really walk away from him without a huge cap hit until 2023.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Time off + going from PIT's OL to NYJ's OL plus going from Tomlin to Gase plus....

well you get it.

Yes, but he went to KC with as good a line, before they lost the two guys that cost them Suoerbowl and Andy Reid obviously > Tomlinson. Really thought he would have perked up there. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Yes, but he went to KC with as good a line, before they lost the two guys that cost them Suoerbowl and Andy Reid obviously > Tomlinson. Really thought he would have perked up there. 

Same.  Not sure what happened, but many RBs just hit a wall at some point (other than Frank Gore apparently).  Mosley should have several years of peak play left based on age and mileage.  Whether the time off has broken him is hard to guess, but many players come back from ACLs, for example, which cost them at least an entire season, and play fine.  He was so damned good before the injury that I'm hopeful he can be most of, if not all of that guy again.

• Upvote 2