Watch Mac Jones Fall Into Patriot's Lap

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Wison and or Fields may turn out to be fantastic.  I also think both of those prospects have prime bust potential.  I would not have either on my draft board. I also see Tray Lance as being a poor stater in the NFL.  The "safe" picks are Lawrence and Jones.  

Assume you mean not on your first round draft board. There comes a point in the draft where Fields/Wilson's talent alone justifies the risk.

This is why I don't really kill Idizk for the Geno pick (plenty of other stuff to kill him over and you can only die once). Geno was in the first overall conversation after his soph year and dropped after his junior year. A classic second round risk/reward pick. And this is coming from someone who hated Geno from day one.

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Wison and or Fields may turn out to be fantastic.  I also think both of those prospects have prime bust potential.  I would not have either on my draft board. I also see Tray Lance as being a poor stater in the NFL.  The "safe" picks are Lawrence and Jones.  

QBASE agrees with you on Lawrence being closer to a sure bet.  They disagree with you on Mac Jones, calling him a higher bust potential than everyone else you mentioned.

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The Jets *have been* inferior.  It is not a complex.   The Pats *have* been superior.  It is not a distortion.  It has *nothing* to do with the fans. The Pats have a wise owner and the Jets don't.  A ship sails in the mold of its master.

After stints with Idzik and Mr. Coffee, my hope was that JD was a strong enough piece of manpower to both know what to do and to be able to keep Johnson out of his kitchen while he does it. 

For me, all hope of that being possible went up the spout when the Jets ownership/management allowed themselves to be maneuvered out of the first overall draft pick and Trevor Lawrence.

That was indefensible.  They even had the mayor of Jacksonville thanking the Jets on Twitter. 

It was a gut punch and a horrible let-down that I'm not going to get over.  Especially as Trevor Lawrence and Wilson progress in their respective careers.

I expect Lawrence to be the generational talent he is predicted to be.  I expect Wilson to flame out.

My disgust is only going to grow as that plays out. 

People made fun of Al Davis when he was an old doddering fool.  I remember when he was one of the most innovative Football minds in the league and had teams in the hunt every year.  

The Pats had a great organization.  Attrition is undefeated.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's possible, but I am really not all that concerned about who you have rated as the 2nd best QB prospect. Nor do I care who Mel Kiper has rated as the 2nd best QB prospect. 

And since the Pats drafted Brady, they have drafted 10 or so other QBs and none have come close to being anything special so it's not like they are QB talent gurus themselves.  

Even though you are contradicting me, I agree with every single word you are saying here.  The draft is a crap shoot and even former players, GM's pundits, Mel Kiper get it wrong ALL THE TIME.  

As I am so fond of saying, there are thousands of moving parts.  A QB that turns out to be a bust with one team could have been a Pro Bowler in another set of circumstances.  

Zac Wison with the Jets flames out.  The Evil Zac Wilson that goes through the transporter, and ends up in the mirror universe without a beard instead of a headband and wins the Super Bowl.

mirror.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Every player in the top of the draft can be a bust

Its the way the draft works

If Lawrence busts he'll be the biggest bust ever.  So?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Agree on Jones being #2. 

Lawrence - Jones - Fields - Wilson.

Jones and Fields virtual tie for me but edge to Jones.

No opinion on Lance.

Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones - Jones in my mind is the most risky aside from Lance - only 30 something tight window throws the entire year. That's may be the lowest in the history of college football. Burrow last year had 140+ for comparison sake. Also high end Olineman and wide open receivers all game long - too tough to evaluate IMO. He doesn't have the arm or athleticism as the others and his processing isn't better than Wilson, although it is good I think - tough to know when your first option is open all the time.

• Upvote 1

Quit worrying about the Pats, their day in the sun is done.

People should be more worried about Buffalo but especially Miami in this draft.  The Phins are going to come away with some absolute prime players.  They are in a better draft position then the Jets.

They are not going to take a QB in this draft, they have 6, 18 and a couple of 2nd rounders.

We are going to be wincing when we see who all they come away with.

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Then I guess it good hes not actually the best QB in the draft.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

How do I respond to this without thinking that you're brand new to football?

I'll try this - using Google, please choose which of the following were the first QBs picked in their drafts: Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Pennington, Trubisky.

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

QBASE agrees with you on Lawrence being closer to a sure bet.  They disagree with you on Mac Jones, calling him a higher bust potential than everyone else you mentioned.

Of note is that Wilson and Wilson basically have the exact same QBASE rating, and if Wilson were picked first Lawrence would fall slightly behind as draft position matters in the calculation. QBASE is decent in predicting Top QBs but it is exceptional at picking busts. Wilson has a very very low bust potential. Darnold had a high one. 

Greg Cossell did not love Darnold but loves Wilson (maybe even over Lawrence) and he is one of the best QB evaluators.

Simms loves Wilson and his QB rankings have been insanely accurate.

According to Casserly all 22 teams that replied to his question had Wilson at #2 (or 1), Fields was not even unanimous 3rd.

Wilson is the guy not even close

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I have a sixth sense gut feeling that Justin Fields is going to RG3 out in 3-4 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I think he will be good but for many reasons I think he has the highest bust potential of the Top 5. Jones will be good in SF. I mean Mullens was pretty good. Jones on many other teams might really struggle. It is a pure scheme/traits fit for Shanahan.

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Assume you mean not on your first round draft board. There comes a point in the draft where Fields/Wilson's talent alone justifies the risk.

This is why I don't really kill Idizk for the Geno pick (plenty of other stuff to kill him over and you can only die once). Geno was in the first overall conversation after his soph year and dropped after his junior year. A classic second round risk/reward pick. And this is coming from someone who hated Geno from day one.

Yes,  Off my board for the first round.  I'd take Fields, Wilson and or Lance after the first round if I had the chance. If nothing else, trade bait. 

I killed Idzik for the Geno Smith pick because I felt Smith would never pan out.  That was one occasion that I was correct. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yes... I see.  Dont agree, but I see :-)

Just now, THE BARON said:

Yes,  Off my board for the first round.  I'd take Fields, Wilson and or Lance after the first round if I had the chance. If nothing else, trade bait. 

I killed Idzik for the Geno Smith pick because I felt Smith would never pan out.  That was one occasion that I was correct. 

I also believed Geno would not pan out and was an immature head case. But again: draft is about risk/reward, not sure things.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Quit worrying about the Pats, their day in the sun is done.

People should be more worried about Buffalo but especially Miami in this draft.  The Phins are going to come away with some absolute prime players.  They are in a better draft position then the Jets.

They are not going to take a QB in this draft, they have 6, 18 and a couple of 2nd rounders.

We are going to be wincing when we see who all they come away with.

sadly I disagree-if pats get any kind of qb play out of cam or find a qb in the draft they are going to be nasty

2 hours ago, jgb said:

All relevant and good points. But a team's talent level is also in most cases inversely proportional to the quality of the competition. Put another way -- Wilson has only entered the "top QB" conversation this season. One in which BYU faced zero opponents from Power 5 conferences. I guess I'm saying it cuts both ways. But good points for sure.

Admittedly, I'm cherrypicking ways I can like Wilson - but the truth is I never watched him play. Happy to rely on Simms' expertise and hot hand in recent drafts. 

I also have to rely on the expertise in others to believe that Lawrence is a generational talent. My eyes never told me this.  

3 minutes ago, sackdance said:

Admittedly, I'm cherrypicking ways I can like Wilson - but the truth is I never watched him play. Happy to rely on Simms' expertise and hot hand in recent drafts. 

I also have to rely on the expertise in others to believe that Lawrence is a generational talent. My eyes never told me this.  

We're all fans -- come 8:15pm or so, we'll all be on the pro-Wilson train by the looks of it.

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

After Trevor Lawrence, I have Mac Jones rated as the second best QB prospect in the draft.  

I have a feeling he's going to wind up landing right in Belichick's lap.

Would that not just be sooo much like the Jets and the Pats ???

The Jets take Zac Wilson at 2'nd overall and he's out of the league in four years.

Mac Jones lands at the 15th spot with the Patriots, is out of the starting gate quickly and wins a Super Bowl before his rookie contract is up.

Wanna bet ?

I like both Mac Jones and Zack Wilson but I think Mac Jones will turn out to be the best QB in this draft. I wont be terribly unhappy  when the Jets Pick Zack 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Every player in the top of the draft can be a bust

Its the way the draft works

If Lawrence busts he'll be the biggest bust ever.  So?  

NO matter the "expert" opinions in the media, no one knows what any of these kids will do until they face live action NFL defenses.  Wakes a rookie QB up in a hurry.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Yes.

If the 49ers are as smart, you'd win the bet.  Let's see if their GM agrees with me with Jones being a better prospect than Fields or Lance.  And a better bet than Wilson for that matter, but he will be off the board when the 49'ers are up at 3

Other than my musing about Jones falling to the Pats, I see the first ten in the draft going like this

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Jones

4. Pitts

5. Chase (possible Sewell.  Even thought he may be a risk, the previous injury to QB JB may entice them into the        Sewell pick rather than taking what looks to be the best WR in the draft.

6. Sewell (if Bengals don't go for him, Chase if they do

7. Waddel

9. Horn

10. Fields

3 hours ago, sackdance said:

New England minus Brady is like Henry Hill after the witness protection program: average nobodies, a bunch of schnooks. 7-9 so far and looking for a QB.

Side note..Henry Hill was a Jets fan and used to come to the LA and sometimes San Diego Jets fan meetups to watch the games.  Drank with him a few times.  He had some great stories about hanging out with Joe Namath ...don’t know if he was lying, but the guy was entertaining.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

If the 49ers are as smart, you'd win the bet.  Let's see if their GM agrees with me with Jones being a better prospect than Fields or Lance.  And a better bet than Wilson for that matter, but he will be off the board when the 49'ers are up at 3

Other than my musing about Jones falling to the Pats, I see the first ten in the draft going like this

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Jones

4. Pitts

5. Chase (possible Sewell.  Even thought he may be a risk, the previous injury to QB JB may entice them into the        Sewell pick rather than taking what looks to be the best WR in the draft.

7. Waddel

9. Horn

10. Fields

CORRECTION.  

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Jones

4. Pitts

7. Waddel

8. Horn

9. Fields

10. Surtain 

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The Jets *have been* inferior.  It is not a complex.   The Pats *have* been superior.  It is not a distortion.  It has *nothing* to do with the fans. The Pats have a wise owner and the Jets don't.  A ship sails in the mold of its master.

After stints with Idzik and Mr. Coffee, my hope was that JD was a strong enough piece of manpower to both know what to do and to be able to keep Johnson out of his kitchen while he does it. 

For me, all hope of that being possible went up the spout when the Jets ownership/management allowed themselves to be maneuvered out of the first overall draft pick and Trevor Lawrence.

That was indefensible.  They even had the mayor of Jacksonville thanking the Jets on Twitter. 

It was a gut punch and a horrible let-down that I'm not going to get over.  Especially as Trevor Lawrence and Wilson progress in their respective careers.

I expect Lawrence to be the generational talent he is predicted to be.  I expect Wilson to flame out.

My disgust is only going to grow as that plays out. 

How do you keep players and coaches from trying to win a game?

34 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Jones

4. Pitts

7. Waddel

9. Horn

10. Fields

I was clearly implying that I would take the bet regarding your claim about Wilson being out of the league in 4 years.

Name any price because I will bet he isn’t.