Does Douglas Have Surprises In Store For The Draft?

It’s finally here.  Hard to believe.  Might there be some surprises in store for us?  Such as...

• Does Douglas trade way up for an OL, WR or Edge that he/they love?
  • Does he wait until tomorrow or Saturday to finally pick an OL?
  • Is there a possibility that the Falcons are absolutely in love with Wilson and give up #4, #35 and next year’s first only for Douglas to take Trey Lance or Fields at #4?
  • Is every report we’ve heard about who the Jets are connected to wrong and Douglas takes guys we never expected?
  • Will Douglas trade any picks for players (e.g., Michael Gallup for Seattle’s third)?
  • Is every sentence I write going to be in the form of a question?  Why do you ask?

Let it begin already!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Surprises I can see from Douglas:

1. A trade up in the first round much higher than expected

2. A trade up for Deontay if he slides into the 10ish range

3. Douglas will definitely pass on a prospect we all think is perfect and the board will lose their mind

4. Picking RB at 23 might happen. If we cannot trade up we might not have a lot of awesome options

5. The 6th pick we got for Darnold will be used on a kicker

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It’s finally here.  Hard to believe.  Might there be some surprises in store for us?  Such as...

• Is there a possibility that the Falcons are absolutely in love with Wilson and give up #4, #35 and next year’s first only for Douglas to take Trey Lance or Fields at #4?
  • Is every report we’ve heard about who the Jets are connected to wrong and Douglas takes guys we never expected?
  • Will Douglas trade any picks for players (e.g., Michael Gallup for Seattle’s third)?
  • Is every sentence I write going to be in the form of a question?  Why do you ask?

Let it begin already!!!

Only the first one.?

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The surprise will be trading 34 and 88 to go back in the first round to jump tampa and buffalo for etienne.

2- Wilson

23- Jenkins or vera tucker

27- trade 34 and 88 to Ravens - Travis Ettienne.

As long as #2 happened I would be completely OK with that. RB may have become devalued but it is not completely without value for an elite RB. 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The surprise will be trading 34 and 88 to go back in the first round to jump tampa and buffalo for etienne.

2- Wilson

I'm thinking something similar talking about Jenkins. However I also see them taking a Center if they move up I don't think Ettienne will be there. 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Surprises I can see from Douglas:

1. A trade up in the first round much higher than expected

2. A trade up for Deontay if he slides into the 10ish range

3. Douglas will definitely pass on a prospect we all think is perfect and the board will lose their mind

4. Picking RB at 23 might happen. If we cannot trade up we might not have a lot of awesome options

5. The 6th pick we got for Darnold will be used on a kicker

Only number three.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Let it begin already!!!

The third one would make this fatman  jolly again.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

Yeah I think he'll be gone in the teens he's way too versatile nobody's going to leave him sitting on the board.

Wow!  ok, that would seem to be a surprise to alot of experts.  Most dont even have the 1st rb coming off the board until Harris at 24.  Most experts have ettiene to the Bills or bucs at the end of round 1.

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2- Wilson

That's what I feel will happen. They can jump Buffalo, and get the option year on a RB.

The surprise for me would be if JD didn't do anything surprising.  I do expect JD to do a lot of trade downs throughout the draft again.  With an occasional trade back up to target a specific player. 

There's also the possibility he uses some of these picks in trades for a veteran player to fill some needs.  JD could also execute trades that could  involve picks and Jets players like Mosely, Crowder and Herndon.  IMO these guys will not be on the 2022 team roster.  

I think mostly what he's aiming to do is acquire players that best combine positional value with positional need.

Yea...I expect this JD draft is going to be a wild ride full of surprises for sure.

Not picking Wilson at 2 would be a huge surprise, certainly.

Picking a defensive player at 23 would really surprise and disappoint me. If the best player at that point on their board is a defender, then trade back a few picks if you want "value" at that spot.  For God's sake, jump start an offense around your new QB.

Not taking an OL in the first or second round would really be a bad surprise since he's said how important the OL and DL is.  JD did nothing to improve the OL in free agency, but he did sign a couple of guys to bolster the DL and pass rush.

Last year JD seemed to take a "little bit of everything" approach to the draft. Hopefully this year it is primarily a "build a new offense" draft.

• Upvote 1

I will be surprised and happy if joe uses all of the early picks to build a foundation around wilson to help him succeed.

I believe the second first rounder will be used on defense which would be a disgrace-if you want wilson to have a chance give him protection and weapons. Our future is tied to wilson playing well-all attention needs to go to that. Defense can be addressed late and next year after the offense has a solid foundation

11 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Not picking Wilson at 2 would be a huge surprise, certainly.

Picking a defensive player at 23 would really surprise and disappoint me. If the best player at that point on their board is a defender, then trade back a few picks if you want "value" at that spot.  For God's sake, jump start an offense around your new QB.

Not taking an OL in the first or second round would really be a bad surprise since he's said how important the OL and DL is.  JD did nothing to improve the OL in free agency, but he did sign a couple of guys to bolster the DL and pass rush.

Last year JD seemed to take a "little bit of everything" approach to the draft. Hopefully this year it is primarily a "build a new offense" draft.

It will be a disappointment to me as I posted but I see it coming a mile away. 23 is the perfect spot to big a top rb to take the pressure off wilson year one

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

It will be a disappointment to me as I posted but I see it coming a mile away. 23 is the perfect spot to big a top rb to take the pressure off wilson year one

Defense has more holes than offense. A QB above the Dalton-line of play and the talent on the Jets offense will surprise people.