Jets Trade up to 14, Select Alijah Vera-Tucker

ummmm. i like the pick, but looking at how Min got Darrisaw at 23, why didnt we do that? is he a LT that cant more to RT?

just saying we could have improved the line AND kept our picks.

i would have thought a trade up would have been for a WR.

• Thumb Down 8

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

ummmm. i like the pick, but looking at how Min got Darrisaw at 23, why didnt we do that? is he a LT that cant more to RT?

They loved the value.  Joe D claims the Jets had a top 10 grade on AVT.

I see what you mean though.  Would've loved Teven Jenkins at 23 and keep the 3's.

• Upvote 1

I can't stand when people talk about "Giving up 3 picks" in a trade up. 

If this trade was for a player, you "Gave up 3 picks"

We traded up. We "gave up" two premium picks to turn the 3rd pick into a better pick. 

Just a peeve of mine. Watch, over the next few weeks, I bet you many of the people against the trade up will site "3 picks given up". We gave up/lost/spent 2 third round picks in this trade. Two. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Joe Douglass gets it. Thank God we finally have a GM that understands games are won and lost in the trenches. Becton at 11 last year and AVT at 14 this year. Wilson might actually have a chance at success here now that we have a competent GM.

Complete the OL with Jenkins.  I like Ty Johnson a lot.  We could have a good running game with him and a better OL

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, undertow said:

I'm not in the JD cult but the fact he used his draft capital to move up rather then being obsessed about "value" is winning me over.  Next step is NOT trading back at 34 like some of you dopes want and using your 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths to move up into the 2nd and 3rd.  

Have you looked at the draft value chart to see what little you'd get for trading all those picks? A trade down into the mid second makes enormous sense and would bring back a reasonable third. If Douglas is hot on a player at 34 so be it, but the trade down makes a lot of sense given the players available well into the second.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

We traded up. We "gave up" two premium picks to turn the 3rd pick into a better pick. 

Just a peeve of mine. Watch, over the next few weeks, I bet you many of the people against the trade up will site "3 picks given up". We gave up/lost/spent 2 third round picks in this trade. Two. 

Premium is the new buzzword. It's bullsh*t. 

And on a side note, in a draft that people were saying had 16 first rounders, that drop off should also factor in.

• Upvote 2

This is a A+ Day 1 draft for the NYJ.

Love what JD did.  My wish was for ZW and AVT to be the picks to start off this draft in the right direction.  some may think the cost is too high...not me.  JD did the right thing here. It's the cost you're willing to pay to protect your QB.  And AVT is a stud.  AVT'S versatility is such that If Becton should get hurt and miss some games...he could slide over and hold the position down.

JD could still recoup a 3rd round pick if he decides to take advantage of any opportunities for a trade down from #34 to somewhere in middle of 2nd round.   Maybe JD might move down even further if the offer was really good.

We'll find out tonight if JD has some more moves up his sleave.   

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

We only gave up one actual pick.

Our #23 became #14

We gave up our #66 

Our #86 became #145

So for the price of our higher 3rd, and trading back on our lower 3rd into Rd 4, we moved up 9 spots in Rd 1.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, undertow said:

I'm not in the JD cult but the fact he used his draft capital to move up rather then being obsessed about "value" is winning me over.  Next step is NOT trading back at 34 like some of you dopes want and using your 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths to move up into the 2nd and 3rd.  

Great way to win the board over.

And he can trade back, depending on what the board looks like.  If he slides down about 12-15 spots, he is back in the third round.  Drafting around 48 is Rondale White, Terrace Marshall, Pat Frieiermuth, Jalen Mayfield, Liam Eichenberg, Creed Humphrey territory.  Not so bad sliding down, getting one of those guys, getting into the third round, AND keeping all the picks, is it?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And he can trade back, depending on what the board looks like.  If he slides down about 12-15 spots, he is back in the third round.  Drafting around 48 is Rondale White, Terrace Marshall, Pat Frieiermuth, Jalen Mayfield, Liam Eichenberg, Creed Humphrey territory.  Not so bad sliding down, getting one of those guys, getting into the third round, AND keeping all the picks, is it?

This is a good point. Izdik made the mistake of staying pat and picking 12 guys, the majority who will be jags.  We have jags already.  Time to move up and or stay out and get some pro bowl/all pro caliber guys or that the very least GOOD starters. 

I don’t thinkcOL is a real need anymore. I think they like Fant at RT in these scheme, they like the C  and I don’t see having to use another premium pick for a RG.  CB is the biggest need followed by LB.  

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

AVT.jpg

In somewhat of a surprise move, Jets GM Joe Douglas moved up from 23rd to 14th overall in the first round by giving up a huge haul of picks.

The #Jets traded No. 23, No. 66 and No. 86 for No. 14 and No. 143, sources tell @TheAthletic

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) April 30, 2021

Douglas parted with 3 premium picks in giving up picks 23, 66 and 86 to move up and grab offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker.  The Jets also received pick number 143 from the Minnesota Vikings in the deal.  Vera-Tucker gives the Jets a potentially elite interior offensive lineman who also has the ability to play offensive tackle at some point down the road.

After taking Zach Wilson with the second overall pick, Douglas is looking to avoid repeating the mistakes of those before him who failed to protect former first-round pick Sam Darnold.

The post Jets Trade up to 14, Select Alijah Vera-Tucker appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/vznAkOlUJvY

Click here to read the full story...

The Bald Bastid deserves his part of the responsibility of

the Jets having a crap offensive line. two years of signing the position's

dregs in free agency and not adding a single udfa or  middle round

pick of hope. With all our needs we should be adding picks not

spending three premium picks on a solid interior O lineman

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

whos trying to win the board over? lol

12 hours ago, doitny said:

Darrisaw probably less appealing in the zone blocking scheme to be employed.  

It's not just where these guys are rated/ranked.  The player needs to fit the scheme as well.

• Upvote 1