Jets Trade Up

45 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

It really isnt.

We won 2 games last year. We have almost 0 talent across the board. To give up that many assets for a guard is absurd. If we were a team competing next year with a solid roster and just needing a couple pieces this is the type of move you make.

Joe Thuney just signed a $80m contract 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No OL were taken after AVT when #23 came. If AVT was the last tier 1 OL on the Jets board the maybe this makes sense but I think JD might have made a mistake here by trading up and not just waiting for Jenkins or the Vikings took.

Leatherwood 

I was shocked JD traded up for AVT. This roster is bad and needs talent but AVT is a foundational piece. Brilliant move by JD. Schreff went #5 a few years back. AVT is the best G in this draft. This is highway robbery. JD just slid under the Raiders and stole him. No way AVT would have lasted past them.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I was just going to correct this but in all honesty,  I think the Raiders totally screwed up that pick. They could have traded down and still taken Leatherwood.

Agree but AVT was wearing an Oakland hoodie. I think we threw a wrench into LV plans and they panicked Bc of it

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Except for Leatherwood who seems like a reach, no OL were taken after AVT when #23 came. If AVT was the last tier 1 OL on the Jets board the maybe this makes sense but I think JD might have made a mistake here by trading up and not just waiting for Jenkins or the Vikings took.

This is some dumb sh*t. Jets shoulda took Jenkins at 23? Kinda looking like that wpilda been a reach now. 

Just now, Untouchable said:

LOL

People wanted to give Joe Thuney $20 f*cking million a year but giving up a couple of 3rd’s while getting back a 4th for AVT is blasphemy 

Considering the OL sitting there at 23, it might have been. If AVT is considerably better  than Darrisaw, then nobody will care but if Darrisaw becomes a 10 year starter for the Vikes, this may not look so good.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Raiders were going to take him.  They ended up reaching for a 2nd day pick because we moved up.  When you see what the Raiders ended up doing to fill the interior line the pick was great. 

AVT was the guy I figured would be the third OL taken but considering Darrisaw and Jenkins were both sitting there at 23, you have to question what is better,  to trade up for AVT  or take Darrisaw as the Vikes did and still have the picks to maybe trade up with later or just fill more holes. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Considering the OL sitting there at 23, it might have been. If AVT is considerably better  than Darrisaw, then nobody will care but if Darrisaw becomes a 10 year starter for the Vikes, this may not look so good.

People complaining about this are just begging for something to bitch about.

Jeremiah named AVT one of his 3 safest players in the draft. There was more and more chatter of him solidifying himself as a Top 15 pick leading up to yesterday.

We just landed a potential 10 year pro-bowl OG to stick next to Becton. And he has the ability to play LT in a pinch.

No one is going to care about those 3rd’s if AVT is a quality player.

Watch Douglas trade down from #34 and recoup a couple of picks anyway.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

People complaining about this are just begging for something to bitch about.

Jeremiah named AVT one of his 3 safest players in the draft. There was more and more chatter of him solidifying himself as a Top 15 pick leading up to yesterday.

We just landed a potential 10 year pro-bowl OG to stick next to Becton. And he has the ability to play LT in a pinch.

No one is going to care about those 3rd’s if AVT is a quality player.

Watch Douglas trade down from #34 and recoup a couple of picks anyway.

This became legitimately questionable when the Vikes picked Darrisaw with our pick. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

It really isnt.

We won 2 games last year. We have almost 0 talent across the board. To give up that many assets for a guard is absurd. If we were a team competing next year with a solid roster and just needing a couple pieces this is the type of move you make.

So just build the house and we'll install the foundation later.  Got it.  Hell, its worked for us the last five years.  What could go wrong?

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This became legitimately questionable when the Vikes picked Darrisaw with our pick. 

Darrisaw is a LT

We have a LT who was largely dominant as a rookie.

We needed help on the interior. AVT is being compared to guys like David DeCastro and Joe Thuney and is seen as a decade long starter with legit pro-bowl/all-pro upside.

Some of you guys could have Scarlet Johansson sitting on your face and you’d complain about it being too cold in the room.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

AVT was the guy I figured would be the third OL taken but considering Darrisaw and Jenkins were both sitting there at 23, you have to question what is better,  to trade up for AVT  or take Darrisaw as the Vikes did and still have the picks to maybe trade up with later or just fill more holes. 

You have a player who is going to be slotted for 4 to 5 years.   If you get an instant starter who you can lock down vs. a player you're not sure of it's a good move.  Guards who can play are being paid premium money now.  There is nothing wrong with taking the one you think is can't miss. 

The Jets weren't looking for depth.  They were looking for a high quality day 1 starter that they can plug into the Left side with Becton for years.  

The staff loves the guy it's simply not worth second guessing it until they prove to be bad at their jobs.  They traded up for a reason.  New QB, new O, love the kid and think he's going to plug in for 5 years.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Darrisaw is a LT

We needed help on the interior. AVT is being compared to guys like David DeCastro and Joe Thuney and is seen as a decade long starter with legit pro-bowl/all-pro upside.

Some of you guys could have Scarlet Johansson sitting on your face and you’d complain about it being too cold in the room.

Oh come on. I actually  agree we should keep Becton where he is but a lot of people were saying we could move him to RT if need be and Darrisaw would have been fine a RT and we could have cut Fant. 

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Darrisaw is a LT

Franchise LT's don't go 23. The Colts have a gaping hole at LT and passed on Darrisaw along with so many other teams including the Vikings themselves. You don't pass on a Franchise LT for 3rd round picks in a covid draft. 

Its cute to say we traded down and still got the guy we wanted. But do you really take a chance of busting on that high of a pick for 3rd round picks? Hell no. 

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You have a player who is going to be slotted for 4 to 5 years.   If you get an instant starter who you can lock down vs. a player you're not sure of it's a good move.  Guards who can play are being paid premium money now.  There is nothing wrong with taking the one you think is can't miss. 

The Jets weren't looking for depth.  They were looking for a high quality day 1 starter that they can plug into the Left side with Becton for years.  

The staff loves the guy it's simply not worth second guessing it until they prove to be bad at their jobs.  They traded up for a reason.  New QB, new O, love the kid and think he's going to plug in for 5 years.

I think AVT is going to be a stud but I also would have been fine taking Darrisaw and still having our 2 thirds

8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

We’ll see. In principle I don’t like trading up for anything other than QB, so I was raring to get pissy anyway. Lord knows we need the upgrade on the OL, so bully for AVT. Onward and upward

You have to think they have a ridiculously high grade on AVT. Douglas said he viewed him as a top 10 talent so I imagine there’s a fair distance between him and the rest.

I don’t Slater going the pick before was a coincidence either. I imagine the Jets had eyes on him as well and were looking to secure either him or AVT. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh come on. I actually  agree we should keep Becton where he is but a lot of people were saying we could move him to RT if need be and Darrisaw would have been fine a RT and we could have cut Fant. 

The Jets are going to zone block and run a ton of play action.  Zach is going to have his back to the D alot.  We  need to protect him up the middle and on his blind side.   

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

The Jets are going to zone block and run a ton of play action.  Zach is going to have his back to the D alot.  We  need to protect him up the middle and on his blind side.   

So how is drafting a RT not protecting the QB? Look, I'm not saying we shouldn't  have taken an OL, I just feel the trade up is questionable.  

42 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Because we just got a 5 year starter at a fraction of the price.  We’re putting in a new O and we opted for a QB that chucks the rock down the field. 

I agree with you but I don’t think that’s what he was alluding to. I think he was saying after 5 years, that’s what we’re going to have to pay AVT. 

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Fant has another $4.4M guaranteed coming this year, there's no way the Jets were going to cut him. Where they needed the help, at guard, they got the best prospect in the draft. I don't like trading up in general, and think this one was particularly expensive (the fourth we got from Minny is a comp pick, blech), but if this guy is the perennial pro bowl level guard he's being touted as, even I'm not gonna miss those third rounders. 

Talk of moving Becton should've ended when he started on the left side as a rookie. It's over, he's the LT. 

39 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No...no it didn't.  Darrisaw is an LT.  Which we have.  We got the third best OL in this entire draft, and it cost two third round picks to go get him.  We got a 4th in return.  

I just...I really, I mean....

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Why would we cut Fant? He projects to be an average to above average lineman in our scheme. You can now pencil in 4 of 5 starters at oline, with RG being only hole.

You take darrisaw and cut fant, you’re just ignoring the holes at guard and possibly not even upgrading at RT.