Day two Looks Promising for Gang Green

Bash.jpg

Things are looking up for Joe Douglas and the New York Jets after landing quarterback Zach Wilson before trading up to add this year’s top interior lineman in Alijah Vera-Tucker.  With the first round coming to a close, the Jets are set to pick second on day two with pick 34 and there are still plenty of potential impact players on the board who could fill a need for Gang Green.

If the Jets opt to continue building a wall around Wilson, they could opt for offensive lineman Teven Jenkins, who many predicted would be off the board by the time the Jets were picking in their original 23rd spot.  The fact  that he might be there at 34 could present the Jets with an opportunity to truly have something special on the O-line with Mekhi Becton, Alijah Vera-Tucker and Jenkins.

Should the Jets look to address the defensive side of the ball, there are three players who have very different profiles but could all offer something to Robert Saleh’s defense.

First up, there’s Wake Forest defensive lineman Carlos Basham Jr.  One of the countries top pass rushers, Basham has been overlooked through much of this process but his talent and production could warrant a pick at 34.  If the Jets want a more well rounded and versatile player to add to their front seven, there’s Notre Dame linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, a jack of all trades who Robert Saleh would likely love to have at his disposal.  If it’s a purely explosive edge rusher the Jets crave, Georgia’s Azeez Ojulari should be a consideration.

A trade down to add picks should absolutely be on the table, but if not, another player who will likely enter the conversation is Georgia cornerback Tyson Campbell.

Buckle up, Jets fans…this should be a fun ride.

The post Day two Looks Promising for Gang Green appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/2QEiWExJMdk

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

There is premium talent at 34, do we take a starter or trade back to get one of his 3’s back.

For me the trade would have to be ten spots or less and you get a 3rd back. I am not going down to 45 to get a 3rd.

AND THEY WILL HAVE TO THROW IN PUTNEY TOO.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Take the BOPA....

You grabbed a starting guard.  Now just take the best offensive player on their board.  The trade gave them that flexibility.

Grabbing the guard definitely gives them that flexibility. I am hoping it is Jenkins personally because I think he would be the best value there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

What about this scenario:  You take Jenkins and the line looks like this:

Becton - Tucker - McGovern - ? - Jenkins

Now what if, and this is a big if, Cam Clark comes to camp and earns a starting job at RG? The line will young with a veteran center.

You can waive Fant and Lewis and save valuable cap space.

Nice to dream.  

Would sign up for this in a heartbeat.  Suggested a couple months ago that they use pick 23 or 34 to upgrade at RT and trade Fant for a pick but I do think the team likes Fant more than the fans do.  

If you have Jenkins, Clark and Fant on the roster, you have lots of options because you can look at two of them at RG and all three at RT.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Some really good options still on the board.  Would've loved Jenkins at 23 so getting him at 34 would basically complete the wall around Wilson.

I'm with you on Jenkins. Fix the OL for once in 20 years. CB and edge/LEO can wait until next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Now what if, and this is a big if, Cam Clark comes to camp and earns a starting job at RG? The line will young with a veteran center.
Nice to dream.  
Would be alot of linemen with contracts due all at once and around the same time as your qb the thought of that has to make someone cringe and could maybe be why we were willing to move up and get rid of our third rounders. The rumor pre draft was that jd loved jenkins and rated him as the highest offensive linemen in the draft and that clearly wasn't true after we took avt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

For me the trade would have to be ten spots or less and you get a 3rd back. I am not going down to 45 to get a 3rd.
AND THEY WILL HAVE TO THROW IN PUTNEY TOO.
Also something of note is that as have two firsts two seconds a third and two fourths next year. We could use some of that to trade up if we wanted or we can grab the best prospects we can get this year and close up the rest of the holes next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the RB out of North Carolina, Williams. Many people had him as the top back in the league. I’m only thinking this because reports did come out saying JD can possibly select a RB in the 1-2 rounds. 

If we trade back 3-4 spots, can that net us a 3rd? I lost sleep last night about those 3rd round picks. 

• Upvote 1

Alot of people looking for the tradeback to recoup picks but would like to see us take one of these defenders (JOK, Ojulari, Samuel) that most ranked as first rounders at 34. Three projected starters plus whatever we get in the bottom half of draft is a win!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the RB out of North Carolina, Williams. Many people had him as the top back in the league. I’m only thinking this because reports did come out saying JD can possibly select a RB in the 1-2 rounds. 

If we trade back 3-4 spots, can that net us a 3rd? I lost sleep last night about those 3rd round picks. 

34 is very valuable.  It’s like a late 1st. Plus there are players available nobody thought would be so I think it’s likely we can get a real good return without dropping back too far

17 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

There is premium talent at 34, do we take a starter or trade back to get one of his 3’s back.

Take the starter. Preferrably on the o-line. Anyone who says we already drafted o-line needs to remember that there are 5 starters on every play on the o-line. It isn't as if we're doubling down on SS again. Or drafting a DT in the first for the 4th year straight.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

Whatever pick they make or whatever trade they make, I'm sure there will be a vocal group who absolutely hate it, no matter what. 

That’s a given.  Unfortunately in a fan base there is a select group that won’t allow themselves to either be happy or positive with a decision 

• Upvote 1

As much as I love Jenkins I just dont see that being the pick.

JOK is such a great fit in this defense, and gives us a day 1 starter at a huge hole.  Im not sure how far you can trade back and still get him but you would need to REALLY know who the teams in front of you want.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nice to dream.  

You ****ing OL guys are never ****ing satisfied! 

Fant has $4.4M guaranteed coming this year and he's a really good fit for the zone blocking scheme they're installing. He's not going anywhere and there's no guarantee (at all!) that Jenkins would be an upgrade. They're now set everywhere but RG with a lot of bodies on the roster to battle it out for that last spot. Joe Douglas really loves his OL, but he should be done there for a few rounds, at least, IMHO. 

If he sticks, an Edge like Ojulari makes a lot of sense. People will want the RB, but I don't. Not a lot of great WR talent there, either. Seems high for Tremble, but a trade down and still netting him wouldn't be the worst move. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Fant has $4.4M guaranteed coming this year and he's a really good fit for the zone blocking scheme they're installing. He's not going anywhere and there's no guarantee (at all!) that Jenkins would be an upgrade. They're now set everywhere but RG with a lot of bodies on the roster to battle it out for that last spot. Joe Douglas really loves his OL, but he should be done there for a few rounds, at least, IMHO. 

If he sticks, an Edge like Ojulari makes a lot of sense. People will want the RB, but I don't. Not a lot of great WR talent there, either. Seems high for Tremble, but a trade down and still netting him wouldn't be the worst move. 

Under investing in the OL for years can cause craziness. The Jet’s have some great options at 34. I agree no RB, but am still inclined to add OL here. The LBer also makes sense.

19 minutes ago, slats said:

A great o line doesn't need like 5 1st round 2nd round picks. We already got the foundation, and now they need to gel and develop chemistry. I also don't like starting two rookies in a new offense.

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, but if Jenkins is that Road Grading Right Tackle that we think he might be, that to me takes precedence over a CB (Samuel) WR (Moore) RB (Williams) or LB (NOK). The impact on the running game and Wilson's development would be tremendous.

That said, I do prefer Edge here.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nice to dream.  

I'd keep Fant.   Becton has to prove he can stay healthy, you don't need the cap space this year, and it's good to have some older players in the room.

Let Fant go as a FA after next year and possibly recoup a supp. draft pick.