Day two Looks Promising for Gang Green

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

For me the trade would have to be ten spots or less and you get a 3rd back. I am not going down to 45 to get a 3rd.

AND THEY WILL HAVE TO THROW IN PUTNEY TOO.

I agree. The trade needs to be shallow. Probably something like 5 to 8 spots.

It’s incredible how much talent is on the board. And, we will all be pulling our hair out at number 66 and 86.  I think there could be some real maneuvering in these next couple rounds. The Jets have three 4ths now right? Trade back from 34 to get a 3rd rounder? Use two 4ths to get another 3rd?

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

What about this scenario:  You take Jenkins and the line looks like this:

Becton - Tucker - McGovern - ? - Jenkins

Now what if, and this is a big if, Cam Clark comes to camp and earns a starting job at RG? The line will young with a veteran center.

You can waive Fant and Lewis and save valuable cap space.

Nice to dream.  

Lewis is already a goner IMO.   He is due $6M this year, and I believe we can save that in cap space if we cut him.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Now what if, and this is a big if, Cam Clark comes to camp and earns a starting job at RG? The line will young with a veteran center.

Nice to dream.  

See this is what I don't get. Fant is NOT a bad player. Why waive him? Who else are you paying on the O-line? They are mostly on rookie contracts. I love the idea of drafting Jenkins but you plug him in at RG and start Fant at RT. Becton-AVT-McGovern-Jenkins-Fant. That is a very solid o-line. Then, you see how things play out. You can always move Jenkins to RT- which is where he is projected to play eventually. 

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree. The trade needs to be shallow. Probably something like 5 to 8 spots.

It’s incredible how much talent is on the board. And, we will all be pulling our hair out at number 66 and 86.  I think there could be some real maneuvering in these next couple rounds. The Jets have three 4ths now right? Trade back from 34 to get a 3rd rounder? Use two 4ths to get another 3rd?

Jets have two fourths 

• Upvote 1

I have been playing around with the mock drafts. 

Great to have AVT, but he represents a 2 year plan.  The players left in round 4 are very thin.  If we don't draft a CB at 34, we are not getting one.  

Gotta think we are trading down.  

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nice to dream.  

Fant performed adequately last year and should be a better fit for this new offense. Much smarter to move Jenkins to guard and play Fant at RT for at least one more year.

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have been playing around with the mock drafts. 

Great to have AVT, but he represents a 2 year plan.  The players left in round 4 are very thin.  If we don't draft a CB at 34, we are not getting one.  

Gotta think we are trading down.  

What does this mean? Are you telling me all the CBs will be drafted by Rd. 4? There may not be plug and play guys but to be honest there probably won't be plug and play CBs in Rd. 3 either. There will DEFINITELY be developmental type CBs who the Jets can take if they decided to go that route in Rd. 4. 

But I also think JD is planning to sign a vet CB after the draft and has been all along. There are still a lot of options in FA. On top of that, you look at the CB depth chart right now- Hall, Bless, Jackson, Guidry, Hardee. These may not be household names but these are young players the Jets are probably high on and players the coaching staff most likely believes would excel in Salehs system. There's no reason to think they will change their draft strategy and feel forced to trade down so they can take a CB in the 3rd or 2nd. 

I'm not saying JD WON'T trade down. I'm just saying it won't be because they need a CB and he is worried the talent will have dried up by the 4th round.  

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nice to dream.  

My ideal scenario is to trade back in the 2nd to pick up a 3rd or even a 4th and somehow still land Creed Humphrey.

Becton - Tucker - Humphrey - McGovern - Fant.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Not sure the obsession with getting a 3rd back. Our 3rd rounders did nothing last year. Get the quality starter at 34 and swing for the fences in the later rounds like everyone else 

Because there are still a lot of decent players projected through round 3 . When you start getting into later rounds you may discover a few pearls but you'll probably end up with a lot more empty oysters.