The Official Draft Day 2 Thread

Maxman

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We all know about JD and his love of saving money. Drafting AVT and Moore probably lets him cut both Alex Lewis and Jamison Crowder, saving what, $20 million?

True, but what good is cap savings if he's not willing to use/spend it?

• Upvote 2

The interesting part of the draft will be the 5th round and on. I think you're going to see a bunch of those picks around the nfl used to acquire expensive veterans. I think the Jets can get a couple of impactful starting players that could really help the team. Ertz is def on that list in my opinion and would be an awesome security blanket for Wilson. 

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The beauty of having a high 2nd rounder and the fact teams have lots of time to reset the board and say, holy crap! that player is still there, we had him rated 15th!

Especially now, with round 1 in one day, and round 2 the following day.

GMs go home, reset their board, and say "Holy crap  XXXXX is still there!".

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

True, but what good is cap savings if he's not willing to use/spend it?

I agree, and I think there will be a pretty impressive wave of free agency after the draft. Some of those guys may not be extremely cheap like Richard Sherman. Jets also need a back up quarterback.

• Upvote 1

To the great point @Sperm Edwards made at the end of his post (which is the thought I came in here to post about anyway) - if he sticks and picks at 34 I wonder if he tries to see where that 2022 #2 from Carolina can get him back in day two if there’s someone he likes in the late two/early three range. We’ve heard those picks are gold this year. 

Trading down to accumulate picks makes sense but I wonder if they’re a little surprised with who’s there and stay. If the Jenkins love was real I wonder how likely it is they’d make that pick or if they feel Vera-Tucker was adequate addressing the OL. Jenkins would be a natural fit at RG who could take over RT for Fant when he leaves. Interesting interview piece I saw with him said that he’s comfortable at both spots on the right side and less comfortable on the left. Vera-Tucker worked well on the left. Seems very likely Jacksonville takes him at 33 though, they have a need at RT.

Owusu-Koramoah is really interesting since he’s also a consensus top 20 prospect who slid. And a perfect fit for the Jets’ scheme. But there’s potentially a really good rationale for the Jets to go offense here. If he’s on the board at 34 I could see him being a prospect teams would give up serious capital to move up for. I think Oakland was one of the teams interested in a LB in the first round - that would be a perfect trade fit if they move down. I’m honestly not convinced the Jets can’t move down and get a really valuable offensive player.

Which I guess brings me to - what has value for the Jets from day one and long-term? I don’t know if they want to start two rookies on the OL but someone like Jenkins at RG this year and RT once Fant is done or Humphrey or Meinerz at RG this year or at C kicking McGovern to RG is a short-term guy you can get on the field and fills a long-term position too. Not convinced they can’t get Humphrey after a trade down into the 40’s.

I can’t really see them drafting more than two OL this year for roster building reasons that I also stole from Sperm Edwards (any guys they take today and tomorrow expire the same year as Becton - one is fine, three OL leaving after this year might be tough. We also don’t really know about Cam Clark at guard. Instead of addressing it early today and causing a little upheaval and definitely starting two rookies wonder if we see them do something like Drew Dalman in the fourth to take over at center or Larnel Coleman in the fifth or sixth as a developmental tackle. 

Running back...could be. I think there are better outside zone fits later in the draft than Williams and I hope/think they run some committee which devalues the bellcow guy. Williams is my favorite back in the draft and is supposed to be just an outstanding dude. It’d be nicer after a trade down. I couldn’t be too mad about it if it’s him but even after a trade down I think it’s not the best allocation of resources.

The wide receiver rumor is the most interesting one to me, particularly Elijah Moore. All offseason I’ve compared what I expect the Jets to run to GB and SF and those teams don’t put three wideouts on the field a lot, around half of snaps which kind of diminishes the value of the third receiver - below pick 34 draft capital I’d think. Both have different flavors of what they look for at WR. Someone like Moore, frankly either Moore, would be super interesting. The Jets currently have a more GB style group of receivers and Moore would add some SF flavor - YAC, run action, etc. Elijah also seems to be a way safer prospect than Rondale and a slot is an interesting way to support a young QB. This would potentially signal a significant deviation from the GB/SF style offense that doesn’t use many three wide sets - or they’d be rotating receivers or it’s an indictment of Mims since he and Davis are both signed three years. Hopefully the first. Not sure three years of just over half the snaps is what I’m hoping to get out of the 34th pick. I am a little skeptical though as that seems like a pretty major change - albeit a fun one.

I do think Moore is good. Both of them, but Elijah is the rumor and the one I’m thinking about. Think he’s a good bet to be a productive NFL player. Super curious how he did in interviews as I know there’s some immaturity label and folks said he did a lot of ball watching when he wasn’t getting targeted. Not much of a blocker per reports either so I am very interested in what the team thinks re fit with him. Drafting Moore would be fascinating and a little surprising. for a lot of reasons.

Tight end makes a ton of sense and is what got me started on going by position. That guy’s definitely going to be on the field a lot in this offense and plays an important role blocking and receiving. Wilson definitely used the tight end in college too. No long-term answer at the position, only Wesco and Griffin signed after this year, and no clue what they’re getting out of Herndon this year but it’s certainly possible he could be upgraded. For all those reasons, including my OL rambling, I think Pat Freiermuth after a trade down to a team wanting JOK (Oakland) is the cleanest thing to guess for today. Recoup a pick, help the young QB, build the OL with a center later. This class really goes off a cliff after Freiermuth (after it went off a cliff after Pitts) as much as I love Tommy Tremble who they may be looking at as a hybrid FB anyway (and I also wonder if they’d target after a trade down) and Freiermuth seems to be a Douglas guy who fits all kinds of needs and plays a great position to support a young QB. Maybe a possible first round pick too if he’d been healthy and able to test, shades of Ashtyn Davis last year.

Speaking of, nobody is talking about the second pretty much consensus top 20 prospect who made it to the second round and plays a position the Jets have a free agent reclamation project starting at one spot and only one guy signed next year...Trevon Moehrig. *ducks*

• Post of the Week 2

Love Vera-Tucker, but the more I think about it.. I would not have done the trade up. I'd prefer Jenkins or Darrisaw at 23, 34, and two 3rd rounders. Who knows.. Vera-Tucker possibly could of fell to 23. Did anyone think Darrisaw or Jenkins would be there? The OL run never came.

37 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We all know about JD and his love of saving money. Drafting AVT and Moore probably lets him cut both Alex Lewis and Jamison Crowder, saving what, $20 million?

Some truth in that and $20 million is 1 or 2 more starters at positions of need

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The best left is probably Kellen Mond

Kellen Mond at absolute best is Dak prescott as in he would have to go to a stacked team and have the starter get hurt and then his total ceiling would be dak.  The chances of that happening again are low.

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Several people including Douglas have talked about how valuable next year’s picks are. This is a big change from years past. They simply expect to have a lot better information next year on prospects. If the Jets do trade a pick from next year it would have to be for a guy they absolutely love. Not sure I see it happening but who knows.

So, given the uncertainty of scouting this year's draft, how do you think that impacts what we do with 34.  DO we stay put and take a player we feel really good about, since the mid to late round picks have less value than year's past.  Or do we trade out of 34 and add a couple more "lottery tickets" and hope one of them is a winner.

I keep waffling on this, but given how the board has fallen, I think a trade back of 10-12 slots makes the most sense.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Love Vera-Tucker, but the more I think about it.. I would not have done the trade up. I'd prefer Jenkins or Darrisaw at 23, 34, and two 3rd rounders. Who knows.. Vera-Tucker possibly could of fell to 23. Did anyone think Darrisaw or Jenkins would be there? The OL run never came.

True, but the Jets did not know this and could just as easily been sitting at 23 having watched the last olineman they wanted off the board.  Also they liked AVT much more than the others by the sounds of it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, doitny said:

thats the problem i have with a trade up for a OL. you trade up like that for a skill position player, WR, RB, EDGE, ..

the entire OL doesnt have to be studs. the guy at 23 that Minny picked would have been good enough. im sure this board would have loved if we stayed put an drafted Darrisaw. its another improvement for the line.

im sure there will be guys complaining by the weekend after they see what Minn gets with those 3rd rd picks.

Yeah sorry but you don't mess around when it comes to the offensive line, ESPECIALLY with a rookie qb. The Jets have decent weapons, and while our defense has holes, by far the most important thing for the 5+ year outlook of this franchise is the development of Zack Wilson. Period. The interior of this o line is awful and if not fixed, could be an extreme deterrent in Wilson's development.

If we knew Jenkins would be there at 23, would I have preferred staying put and selecting him instead? Possibly, but we didn't know that would be the case, and I love that this GM has the initiative to go up and get his guy in order to help the franchise QB

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Speaking of, nobody is talking about the second pretty much consensus top 20 prospect who made it to the second round and plays a position the Jets have a free agent reclamation project starting at one spot and only one guy signed next year...Trevon Moehrig. *ducks*

I'd be happier with Moehrig than a pass rusher or a LB

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Fix the oline. Protect the young QB. Sign Richard Sherman as a stop gap. Get to the QB. Enjoy the safety of the Cover 3.

It would be the most prudent way to go.

I'm wishing we had another second or early third for Creed, then we could slide McGovern and call it a day. Focus on skill positions late this year and whenever next year. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

True, but the Jets did not know this and could just as easily been sitting at 23 having watched the last olineman they wanted off the board.  Also they liked AVT much more than the others by the sounds of it.

Minnesota apparently knew...

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

No they didn't know any more than the Jets did.  They just got fortunate.

Both ideas can be valid, sit and wait for the draft to come to you or be aggressive and make sure you get the guy you like.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Morrissey said:

I'm cool with it though for a few reasons.

1) We needed a strong guard more than a strong tackle.
2) The Jets really like AVT, and they think he's going to be a star, go for it.
3) I do know the Patriots also like AVT, but I can't say they would've picked him. Can't take the risk.
4) I don't think he would've made it to 23. And I don't think Darrisaw is as seamless a fit.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'd be happier with Moehrig than a pass rusher or a LB

I cannot believe you (anyone, not just you specifically) got to the bottom of my word vomiting post.

I think he’s a more likely pick than he gets credit for. All else equal I’d certainly prefer an edge rusher but most of the ones I’d like are gone. I do like JOK and think he fits but I think there should be a team that wants to trade up for him and there are plenty of other linebackers who fit and will be available even in the middle to later portions of tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The best left is probably Kellen Mond

I'm going to be banning you soon. You're the most annoying person on this site and this plagiarized screen name has pretty much run its course. 

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

If we kept our pick and picked the lineman who went in our original spot and we had 2 more 3rd rounders...what would you be happier with? Who we drafted or the guy who they drafted with our 3rd rounders.

it really depends on how the ranked the players.

if they truly felt AVT was a top 10 talent, and he becomes an elite guard like nelson or decastro, you make the trade and don't look back.  i'm in no position to offer any real insight, but if JD truly believed AVT to be elite, you make the trade

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Jenkins, JOK or Moore if we stay put. I’d be absolutely ecstatic with any of those 3. If it’s JOK People might initially be annoyed at LB being the position but he is going to be a beast. 

Isn't JOK tiny?  I mean we all made fun of Adams for being a safety that had to play LB, but he was bigger than this guy.  His tiny hands make me think he probably maxed out his weight for the measurement.  He would be in interesting pick, but he is more of a defensive weapon than a plug and play LB as far as I am concerned.   Maybe this is where the league is headed, but he is not a prototype in my book.

I also realize I don’t *want* the Jets to draft an off ball linebacker at 34 but I have no idea how Owusu-Koramoah is available. If he’s there and they take him obviously there will be complaints but people are going to fall in love with his highlights and eventually him as a player.

Jamal Adams replacement for way less draft capital, actually plays linebacker, bigger, and probably faster too. Explosive do everything never leave the field guy. And supposed to be great character too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I also realize I don’t *want* the Jets to draft an off ball linebacker at 34 but I have no idea how Owusu-Koramoah is available. If he’s there and they take him obviously there will be complaints but people are going to fall in love with his highlights and eventually him as a player.

Jamal Adams replacement for way less draft capital, actually plays linebacker, bigger, and probably faster too. Explosive do everything never leave the field guy. And supposed to be great character too.

He's just about the same height, weight and speed as Adams. He's too small for a linebacker in the nfl. He's dropping bc he's in between positions.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't JOK tiny?  I mean we all made fun of Adams for being a safety that had to play LB, but he was bigger than this guy.  His tiny hands make me think he probably maxed out his weight for the measurement.  He would be in interesting pick, but he is more of a defensive weapon than a plug and play LB as far as I am concerned.   Maybe this is where the league is headed, but he is not a prototype in my book.

Adams was smaller (height and weight) pre-draft and JOK beat him in almost every testing measurement they both did. Vertical (36.5 vs. 31.5), broad (124 vs. 120), and three cone (6.8 vs. 6.96). Adams edged him in the shuttle - 4.13 vs. 4.15. I’d guess JOK is faster than 4.56 in the 40 based on watching him and that doesn’t seem absurd based on the other measurements. Plus he actually plays linebacker and the 34th pick is probably reasonable capital for that kind of player (only bigger and more athletic) whereas the 6th is not.

I still don’t want an off ball LB but I think he’s going to be quite good. Actually wonder if there’s medical we don’t know about causing the slide.

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's just about the same height, weight and speed as Adams. He's too small for a linebacker in the nfl. He's dropping bc he's in between positions.

Bigger and more explosive than Adams with comparable movement skills based on his testing, wouldn’t cost the 6th pick, and he’s actually a linebacker. Guys play in the 220’s now at linebacker. Pretty sure the heaviest starter on SF was 230. I get he’s a tweener by the weight number but folks are going to look back and say he shouldn’t have slid so far even if they understand why.

Deion Jones is the guy I was thinking of who came out at almost the same weight, 222, and worked out really well for the Falcons.

Per Tony Pauline. He was right about us moving up. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-buzz-draft-week/

What positions are the Jets targeting early on Day 2?

(11:25 AM) The Jets have a big decision to make at the top of Round 2 — running back or defense. I’m told right now they seem to be leaning towards Azeez Ojulari, whom they did not expect to be on the board. Ojulari will help improve the pass rush and is the hybrid type of defender Robert Saleh likes. He’s a big-time prospect, but as I stated yesterday, medical red flags at the NFL Combine really hurt his draft stock,

New York Jets moving up?

(7:50 PM ET) Word I’m hearing is the Jets would like to move up from pick 23 if they can swing a deal. The players they are targeting are either of the top corners, Surtain or Horn, or one of the top remaining offensive lineman.

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

What you're missing here is that this FO is not building a team for "success" in  2021....they're building for 2022 and on.

4 rookies starting on one side of the ball this year, means 4 more vets starting on that side of the ball in 2022, when the Jets are in a better position to compete for the playoffs.

I hear you. If you were talking about the defense, I'd be into that a bit more. When a young QB is involved - a rookie QB who's clearly not a finished product - it's a bit stickier, and the more veterans around him the better (even if there's a bit of temporary sacrifice on ability ceiling).

On that side of the ball, even without drafting/starting a rookie WR, you're talking about:

• barely second-year WR2 to start with (Mims's rookie experience was questionable at best with missing his preseason and half the regular season, and then predominantly Gase+Darnold when he did return)
  • New face WR1
  • Rookie QB
  • Rookie LG
  • Rookie C/RG
  • Rookie TE or RB (maybe, maybe not)
  • First time ("rookie") QBC
  • First time WRC
  • First time OC
  • First time HC
  • New offensive system being implemented even for the returning starters

When it's this much inexperience I don't think it's the same thing as one or even two rookies learning the ropes amid 7-8 veterans and 1-2 full second-year starters.

It'd have to be an extreme rookie talent situation to convince me that 3 (never mind 4) full time rookies on offense is of pure inherent benefit to all.