The Official Draft Day 2 Thread

Maxman

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We all know about JD and his love of saving money. Drafting AVT and Moore probably lets him cut both Alex Lewis and Jamison Crowder, saving what, $20 million?

i would not cut Crowder unless he drafts a WR at 34. i like that were 4 deep there after last season. plus we need to see if Mims can stay on the field or if his is going to be injury prone.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

i would not cut Crowder unless he drafts a WR at 34. i like that were 4 deep there after last season. plus we need to see if Mims can stay on the field or if his is going to be injury prone.

Crowder would be traded.  I think he will be at some point day 3

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

What you're missing here is that this FO is not building a team for "success" in  2021....they're building for 2022 and on.

4 rookies starting on one side of the ball this year, means 4 more vets starting on that side of the ball in 2022, when the Jets are in a better position to compete for the playoffs.

i get your point but if we keep drafting really good OL this year there all going to have to get paid at the same time. this line could go from really good or great to avg in a year. 

if your think for the future you have to keep that into your considerations. 

cant have all our money tied up in the line. i know you guys hate to hear this but the OL doesn't have to ALL be all-pros. and the best teams arent. 

great we got our 2 stud lineman. we can pay 2 big money guys on the  line. but now draft some studs at other positions. otherwise we will lose some of these OL in a few years and basically just drafted then for another team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

True, but the Jets did not know this and could just as easily been sitting at 23 having watched the last olineman they wanted off the board.  Also they liked AVT much more than the others by the sounds of it.

Yeah unless we took someone who was a quasi-reach, I'm not big on the "he'd have been there anyway" argument. Also as much as we all love having more picks, lofty optimism aside we just aren't and weren't starting 7 rookies. 

They had a big stiffy for AVT and they didn't f*** around with it & potentially lose the guy they wanted. I don't think they'd have been in a bad situation either way even if there was a run in the late teens & early 20s: we had a zillion picks and OL was at least a couple rounds deep this year, through our #34 pick and even through wherever 34 traded down to.

But if OL is the position where the GM is "if anything, I'm an expert in this," and he feels so strongly about this one player being so special and more than a nominal upgrade, then I'm ok with it.

FFS the one thing this team isn't lacking is having enough draft picks this year (never mind doubling up in rounds 1 & 2 next year, too). 

Now, if AVT isn't all that, and Darrishaw (or whomever) is the next Orlando Pace + Walter Jones HOF linemen we passed on, then I'll see to it he's going to have Sperm on his face. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

So, given the uncertainty of scouting this year's draft, how do you think that impacts what we do with 34.  DO we stay put and take a player we feel really good about, since the mid to late round picks have less value than year's past.  Or do we trade out of 34 and add a couple more "lottery tickets" and hope one of them is a winner.

I keep waffling on this, but given how the board has fallen, I think a trade back of 10-12 slots makes the most sense.

Yup. I think they probably have great info on maybe 100-150 players, then it drops. I also don’t see the Jets taking anyone who didn’t play in 2020. There’s some “recency bias” but it matters. Swing for the fences later in Round 5 if you want, but not in the first 3-4 rounds.

I have no problem trading down from 34 into the 40’s if it’s for another pick in say the top 100. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, doitny said:

Same here. I like Crowder even if we draft a WR. Surrounding the rookie QB with savvy, veteran pass catchers like Crowder is important. I’m just saying what I think JD might do. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, ID. said:

Count me in the JOK crew.  

Says the Jets and Jeff Ulbrich are the best fit for him @14:22

JOK is to Defense what Pitts is to Offense. Not saying HOF caliber. But what I am saying is that he's a weapon/ tool/ matchup nightmare. I'm firmly on the JOKer train. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Trade back makes so much sense after giving up what we did to go get Vera Tucker.  34 is a great spot to be in.  Plenty of time to weigh opportunities and get teams bidding against each other.

I could be talked into a trade back if we're blown away in this sellers market type situation. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not want to get rid of crowder, he is one of the few 'help the Qb' players on this team.

He's great.  I was all for keeping him if Sam was staying. 

But now...  I'd take Jenkins and then, if possible, trade a 2022 1st n 3rd to get another early 2nd to get Moore.

Cut Crowder and save $10mil.

Business is business.

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Trading the most proven offensive guy on the team to take a chance on unproven 3rd round guys would be an absolute f*cking disaster with a rookie QB.

So yeah, fully expected.

You guys vastly overrate crowder. He’s a jag.

Roster has been so bad, jag becomes over valued.

if its more OL we need a C now.
especially with rookie qb.
a-stay for:
jok lb
Creed c
b-move back 5-10
ileafu the syracuse cb
moore/marshall wr
freiemuth te
javonte rb
assorted G’s
if b- package late scrub picks
and get another 2.

7 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Just take JOK and lock in an outstanding draft.

We don't need no stinking 3rd rounder this year.

Or just take JOK at 34. 

Package 107 and 146 to move back into the third round, to take Michael Carter.  If Elijah Moore falls into the 40s, use a future pick to take him. 

Walk away with Wilson/Vera Tucker/Owusu Koromoah/Moore/Carter and still have picks in the 4th/5th/6th 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

You guys vastly overrate crowder. He’s a jag.

Roster has been so bad, jag becomes over valued.

He is absolutely not a JAG. Ludicrous notion. He’s consistently productive in some of the worst situations in football. 

It would be such a disaster to cut him. To take Wilson’s safety net away, his most reliable option while also sending the message that good play isn’t rewarded. 

Garbage take.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He is absolutely not a JAG. Ludicrous notion. He’s consistently productive in some of the worst situations in football. 

It would be such a disaster to cut him. To take Wilson’s safety net away, his most reliable option while also sending the message that good play isn’t rewarded. 

Garbage take.

Repped for going over the top. 

Im not wrong though.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If that’s the case then we cannot draft a receiver in the second round. Can’t use this high a pick for WR5. 

Maybe so, I want to see corey davis play to make sure he is not another perriman, mims is still pretty unproven.  Keelan what his face is unknown as well.

28 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

He's great.  I was all for keeping him if Sam was staying. 

But now...  I'd take Jenkins and then, if possible, trade a 2022 1st n 3rd to get another early 2nd to get Moore.

Cut Crowder and save $10mil.

Business is business.

Wait, you'd want to keep Crowder if we had kept Darnold, but not for our new rookie QB?