Worst Move of The First Round

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

They have a guy that ran for 1100 yards and had 10 tds last year that was an UDFA.  Rb to Qb familiarity is a bizarre hill to die on. 

Etienne is good, but a strange use of resources.

he's there purely for Lawrence and they have 3 more early picks to build OL

29 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Garoppolos ceiling was taking them to a SB getting out to a lead and not being able to secure it in the 4th. As I always say if you can't keep the Elite QB's off the field in the 4th nursing a lead you can't win  the big games

100%.

And yet it makes me miss the 1980s NFL, which was simple: your defense needs to stop an elite offense in the 4th quarter, sometimes more than once, in order to win the big game.

Now an offense has to control the game better than the opponent's offense can.

49 minutes ago, slats said:

If Trey Lance looks like a franchise QB by the time Miami spends that 2023 first rounder, no one's really gonna care. Lance should be happy. He couldn't ask for a much better situation to develop in. 

Those Garoppolo to NE rumors were obviously a big steaming pile of bull****, too. 

I'm not sure SF is a great development place for him.   Who exactly has Shanahan developed?  Why would JG want to help Lance take his job?  

You really had to scratch your head on what SF did with the trade, the Mac Jones smoke, the attempted trade for Rodgers and now taking Lance.  Seems like they really didn't have a plan and they're running by the seat of their pants.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I happen to like Lance, but I agree they gave up a lot. 

Definitely no guarantee he would have been there at 12 though. 

He has such a small sample size - it was a huge risk giving up so much for him. I think trading to 8 would have been an extremely safe spot for Lance. I give them a D- on value/player. Jones/Lance would have been there at 8 or 9.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

and if Jimmy fails you're relying on a project with no first round picks for the next 2 years. Fields or Jones would have made sense to me not a guy whop has not played in 2 years

JG is not likely to fail.  He may not set the league on fire, but he's at least a proven "B-Lister" at this point.  If he goes down to injury, I agree they may have a problem.  Lance may or may not pan out, but they better have a third QB on the roster that can start in place of GP.  If they throw Lance in before he's prepared, it would be bad news.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Because  Smith is 166 pounds and that scares the crap out of some people sure he's fast but the pro game is a different animal all together and you know that to be the case. Safeties hitting this kid are going to feel like Defensive Tackles

Waddle's is 5'9 183.  Davante smith will put on 10-15 lbs in no time.

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure if it was the worst pick, but the Giants pick of Toney was sort of a head-scratcher.  They got some value by trading down, but why take that WR when they have so many hoes to fill and there were much higher rated players on the board.   That was an odd pick. 

Gettlemen just may be a worse GM than Macc.

49 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

What is most comical is in some draft grades the miners get an A and the jetabget a B for the respective web picks. How does that make sense of the Jets stayed put for the higher rated qb and the niners gave up a haul for the lower rated qb just one pick later?

My favorite example is walterfootball.

Dinged the Jets for taking Wilson with Fields still on the board.  Yet in their rankings, they had WIlson at 2, Fields at 3, Lance at 4.

Then they gave SF an A for taking Lance after moving up BIG to do it.

But wait!

They gave SD an A for taking Slater but then they dinged the Jets again for moving up for AVT, WHO THEY HAD RANKED HIGHER.  Why?  Because the Jets traded to move up.  Apparently, that only counts against the Jets, but not against the 49ers.  And their pre-draft rankings don't count either.  

Walter and CBS are tied for the worst examples of narrative-based reviews I have ever seen.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Still amazes me how many teams are willing to part with future 1st round picks for current players / trade ups etc.

Houston, SF, Seattle ... Bears traded next year's #1 to pick a QB and now have less to support him with. Rams last picked in Rd 1 in 2016 and won't again until at least 2024 (barring yet more trades).

Yet every GM will repeat the mantra of "building through the draft".

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm not sure SF is a great development place for him.   Who exactly has Shanahan developed?  Why would JG want to help Lance take his job?  

You really had to scratch your head on what SF did with the trade, the Mac Jones smoke, the attempted trade for Rodgers and now taking Lance.  Seems like they really didn't have a plan and they're running by the seat of their pants.

In retrospect (for whatever that's worth), SF could have just moved up to 6 with PHI, saved a 1st round pick, and gotten Fields at least, if not Lance.  I would have reservations about the price they paid, but as someone said, if he pans out, it will have been worth it.  But for my money, I'd have been far happier with Fields at 6.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Dinged the Jets for taking Wilson with Fields still on the board.  Yet in their rankings, they had WIlson at 2, Fields at 3, Lance at 4.

But wait!

They gave SD an A for taking Slater but then they dinged the Jets again for moving up for AVT, WHO THEY HAD RANKED HIGHER.  Why?  Because the Jets traded to move up.  Apparently, that only counts against the Jets, but not against the 49ers.  And their pre-draft rankings don't count either.  

Walter and CBS are tied for the worst examples of narrative-based reviews I have ever seen.  

Sounds like they copy & pasted Chad Reuter's write up on NFL.com.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

He questions if Wilson will be better than Fields or Lance and gives a B+ ... but doesn't ask if Lance will be better than Fields when giving SF an A?

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But wait!

I mean all of it is pretty meaningless but that is just hysterical 

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Waddle's is 5'9 183.  Davante smith will put on 10-15 lbs in no time.

Without steroids it's not possible for these guys to add 10% more muscle mass. It's not like they haven't been working out and lifting since Jr High School.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Sounds like they copy & pasted Chad Reuter's write up on NFL.com.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

He questions if Wilson will be better than Fields or Lance and gives a B+ ... but doesn't ask if Lance will be better than Fields when giving SF an A?

I think that was the one I saw.  So aside from the lack of similar comparisons to fields, they ignore the bounty sf had to pay

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But wait!

Walter never stops crapping on the Jets. 

8 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I think that was the one I saw.  So aside from the lack of similar comparisons to fields, they ignore the bounty sf had to pay

... yet still criticize the Jets for what they paid to move up. :D  

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But wait!

Walter hates the jets.  Have for years.  

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In retrospect (for whatever that's worth), SF could have just moved up to 6 with PHI, saved a 1st round pick, and gotten Fields at least, if not Lance.  I would have reservations about the price they paid, but as someone said, if he pans out, it will have been worth it.  But for my money, I'd have been far happier with Fields at 6.

For that matter, i think the dolphins messed up.  They could have stayed at 3 and taken pitts and that would have been much better.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed, I actually think they wanted Mac Jones and then chickened out.  (The look on  their faces when Mac Jones 1st pass of his pro day hit the roof was amusing.)  Also funny thing from that pro day is someone on here made a big deal of Bellichick shaking his head after seeing a missed Mac Jones pass.

Another bad one was Jacksonville taking Etienne.

I never believed the Mac Jones rumors, to me their thoughts might have been... IF the Jets pass on Wilson we take him and get rid of Jimmy...IF they don't we take Trey and use him WITH Jimmy...I think Shannahan will get him on the field like Payton in New Orleans had done taking Breeze off to get RPO plays in

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

After yesterday I really think that Steve Young was correct in that San Francisco traded up to 3 for Zach Wilson, thinking the Jets would not take him. 

or they knew they were taking Lance, but floated Mac Jones out there so the Jets wouldn't get second thoughts about Wilson... hard for me to believe that they made that trade to 3 and didn't suspect the Jets would take Wilson.  Makes me think they were eyeing Lance all along.

13 minutes ago, undertow said:

Horn at 8 to Carolina and Leatherwood to Raiders at 17.  Both overdrafts and Carolina missed a opportunity to pick up future 1s or support Darnold....they also drafted all defense last year.

They could have drafted Slater. Instead they reached for a corner who isn't much better than what could have been available to them in the 2nd rd. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, genot said:

They could have drafted Slater. Instead they reached for a corner who isn't much better than what could have been available to them in the 2nd rd. 

Exactly....they could have traded down taken Newsome or a lineman and picked up multiple picks....instead they took a guy whos a mid rounder at best.

14 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

or they knew they were taking Lance, but floated Mac Jones out there so the Jets wouldn't get second thoughts about Wilson... hard for me to believe that they made that trade to 3 and didn't suspect the Jets would take Wilson.  Makes me think they were eyeing Lance all along.

Shanahan apparently did say today it was Lance always after all. The truth is likely a combination of all our speculation

I’d have to agree with the 49ers trade up. It was monumentally bad. I also question NEP not trading up even a few slots for MacJones. They were lucky if they really wanted him that nobody jumped in front of them. Maybe they didn’t really want him that much and obviously didn’t think his value was above #15.

With out a shadow of a doubt the dolphins moving back up to 6th after the trade with the 49er was the worst move of the draft. They should never have moved back up until they seen what players were available, after Pitts and chase were gone they basically gave up a 1st to get Waddle.

If they had stay pat at #12 going into the draft they could have got smith with a small trade like the eagles did or got another 1st like the giants did to take toney.

It's impossible to tell who will be the best between waddel, smith and toney as a pro so the dolphins paid way way to much for their reciever.

• Upvote 1

I think the worst move was the Jaguars taking Etienne.

It's easy to knock the trades, given it seems like the 9ers and Dolphins miscalculated the market and subsequently overpaid, but those were just gambles that didn't pay off.

The Jaguars (who suck and have a lot of needs) took a luxury pick at a position where they have a productive returning starter and signed another player. They had zero need at all. Just makes zero sense.

Raiders reaching on Leatherwood after we grabbed AVT was also bad.

7 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

With out a shadow of a doubt the dolphins moving back up to 6th after the trade with the 49er was the worst move of the draft. They should never have moved back up until they seen what players were available, after Pitts and chase were gone they basically gave up a 1st to get Waddle.

If they had stay pat at #12 going into the draft they could have got smith with a small trade like the eagles did or got another 1st like the giants did to take toney.

It's impossible to tell who will be the best between waddel, smith and toney as a pro so the dolphins paid way way to much for their reciever.

^^^this

there was no reason to make that trade up before the draft.  not for 6.  too many variables in front of you.  and my guess is it backfired on them as they likely didn't get either of their top targets.

does anyone think that "on the clock" the dolphins would give up #12, a 4th rounder and the 2022 1st to move up for a 5'9 slot WR/returner?  waddle may be an excellent player.  but there is no way the dolphins, or anyone, is giving up that draft capital "on the clock"

also, while i think the trade back for the giants was excellent value, they then used the pick to reach for another WR after spending big money of golladay when they already had sheppard and slayton (plus engram and they just signed kyle randolph).  

1 hour ago, Jetstream said:

I never believed the Mac Jones rumors, to me their thoughts might have been... IF the Jets pass on Wilson we take him and get rid of Jimmy...IF they don't we take Trey and use him WITH Jimmy...I think Shannahan will get him on the field like Payton in New Orleans had done taking Breeze off to get RPO plays in

The Jedi mind tricks they were supposed to do that made the Jets pass on Wilson didn’t work I guess 

• Upvote 1