Day 2 strategies - get it out of your system!!!

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

From what I see, there's still a handful of 1st round talent there, including at positions of need.

I don't think I'd trade down far enough that it would likely net me a 3.  Maybe 1-3 slots is all.

Agreed. Maybe down 5/6 slots max. That would net a 4th/5th which we could use to help get back in the 3rd

• Upvote 2

We're in a really good spot and you know JD wants to get back a 3rd rounder.

It will depend on the grades he has on the guys left.  In JD's world he just drafted two top 10 overall players on day 1 - I've never seen him so giddy.  If he has Jenkins, Moore, or JOK rated in his top 20 overall than maybe he'll stay put and just take his 3rd rock solid starter.

The AVT move was super aggressive and I love it simply because JD had so much conviction and seems to absolutely love the player and I trust JD with knowing Offensive Lineman.

Becton, AVT, Mcgovern ... ... ... That is a solid AF left side.  

Mims, Crowder, Davis, Cole - 

Herndon has potential.

I think Mekhi and AVT will be on the 2029 NY Jets, I really do.

My personal preference for 34 if Tevin Jenkins but I love our options tonight and am stoked 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i feel like the Jets should sign Richard Sherman and Brian Poole this afternoon and they’ll have more than enough at CB  I’d really like to see them draft Jenkins or Humohrey at 34 and just roll with the super-unit. **** the retreads they have playing guard right now.
I’d also like to see them pick up a viable quarterback at some point in this draft. 

Samsies... except the last part haha

I’m getting the feeling the Jets are going to stay put and take Javonte Williams.

Between the reports that the Jets feel there is a dramatic drop off at the position after Harris/Etienne/Williams, Pauline being all but convinced they went into the draft wanting to land one, Tevin Coleman being constantly banged up, etc.

Just keep staying away from opt-outs. Let other teams thin the herd with them and keep on track with guys that performed well in the traditional manner. Jenkins or Moore fit the mold in every way for them this round and I don't think it's worth passing on a guy with another grade that high to recoup a 3rd rounder in a draft with this much uncertainty after the 2nd. Keeping 34 after the AVT trade was a huge win and they have to capitalize on that. They have an opportunity to emerge from the first 34 picks with 3 day one starters. You don't trade that away.

• Upvote 4

I’ve figured out that I primarily want the Jets to address the OL but I think the most prudent way for them to do that is by taking Dalman or Kendrick Green later and so I’m stuck between this idea that Jenkins is the best pick at 34 and the desire to move down, add skill talent, and grab Dalman or Green with the selection they pick up. Guess they could do both but I don’t really expect that.

Kind of think Douglas is more done for now than I want him to be on the OL, but also one new starter instead of two or three is probably prudent.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i feel like the Jets should sign Richard Sherman and Brian Poole this afternoon and they’ll have more than enough at CB  I’d really like to see them draft Jenkins or Humohrey at 34 and just roll with the super-unit. **** the retreads they have playing guard right now.
I’d also like to see them pick up a viable quarterback at some point in this draft. 

Steven Nelson.

Do think corner is way overrated as a need. Some of the best fits were projected in the third round range where they currently have no picks but I could see that being a target with a selection they pick up if they trade down.

• Upvote 1

We're in a great position with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. Several players that were rated as 1st round prospects have dropped. It's been reported the JD liked Jenkins and Humphrey. 

The players are sitting there for our taking. DO IT. Build a kick-butt OL. Build the foundation.

Trading down just to recoup the 3rd rounders is a gamble. Take the GOOD players when they're there for the taking and forgo rolling the dice on 2 3rd round players after a trade down.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

How? What's your actual scenario to accomplish this?

Use a 4th and a pick next year to move into round 3...

edit***
we came in with 22 picks between this year and next year. I highly doubt the plan is to take 22 players.... package picks and move up to get the guys we identify as difference makers

18 minutes ago, derp said:

I’ve figured out that I primarily want the Jets to address the OL but I think the most prudent way for them to do that is by taking Dalman or Kendrick Green later

This. 

We just traded up for a day one starter at our weakest offensive line position. Dalman or Green should be available later, as well as others. 

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, there will be no other defensive player like that for the remainder of the draft. That's 3 day 1 starters in our first three picks, all fit our scheme perfectly and every one is a massive upgrade. 

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, RSJ said:

We may be able to get back into the third round without moving down. Trading Mosely is also possible to accomplish this. Trading one of those second rounders from next year can get it done. Especially with how valuable picks next year are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So who then starts at MLB? Are you not then needing to fill another starter?

Which players could NY Jets target with their key second-round pick in 2021 NFL Draft?

Andy Vasquez
NFL writer

0:04
0:57

11ac0822-972c-49ee-a81d-5263f8353858-Tre

The New York Jets finished Thursday night's first round of the NFL Draft feeling pretty good about the way things worked out, after landing BYU quarterback Zach Wilson at No. 2 overall and trading up to select USC offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker at No. 14. 

"Obviously an exciting night here in Florham Park," general manager Joe Douglas said late Thursday. "Couldn't be happier about the two players we acquired tonight. ... Feel really good about, not only the players but the people we added tonight and looking forward to keeping the weekend going."

The Jets now need to get some help for their new quarterback and big-time blocker. And that will be tougher after Thursday's decision to move up for Vera-Tucker cost them two Day 2 picks, both in the third round. 

Don't be surprised if the Jets trade back up into the third round on Friday, or if they use their highest remaining pick at No. 34 to trade back for multiple Day 2 picks. But no matter what they do, it's critical for them to address some key needs on Friday.

Here are several players who would be good options for Day 2.

Tyson Campbell, CB

He's a big, strong cornerback who would fit well into the Jets' defensive scheme and likely win a starting job as a rookie. The Jets could take him at 34, but there's a chance he's around after a trade down to later in the second round. 

Nico Collins, WR

Collins is a big, physical wide receiver with a lot of room to grow. His ceiling is a potential No. 1 receiver, and if the Jets trade down to later in the second round he could be a perfect target to grow with Wilson. 

Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State

Pat Freiermuth, TE

The Jets' new offense is expected to mirror the attack Kyle Shanahan has been using in San Francisco, where the tight end plays a massive role. And Freiermuth would be a good fit, with a mix of size and speed that will create mismatches constantly. 

Teven Jenkins, OT

Jenkins was regarded by many as a first-round talent. And if he's available to the Jets at No. 34, it would provide quite an opportunity for Douglas, who could snag a potential right tackle for the future and take a huge leap toward solidifying his line. 

Terrace Marshall Jr., WR

The Jets still don't have a proven No. 1 receiver. But if they selected Marshall -- who they'd probably have to take at No. 34 -- he'd have a chance to grow into that kind of weapon for Wilson, with his big frame (6-3, 201 pounds) and sure hands. 

Jalen Mayfield, OT

He'd be another good offensive line option for the Jets if they decided to trade down to later in the second round. Mayfield can play guard or tackle, which would help the Jets' depth and perhaps give him a chance to compete for a spot as a rookie. 

Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB

At 6-3, 205 pounds, Melifonwu has the ideal build to be an outside corner for the Jets in their new defense. He'd make sense for the Jets if they traded into the late-second or third round. 

Jan 1, 2021; Atlanta, GA, USA; Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Azeez Ojulari (13) sacks Cincinnati Bearcats quarterback Desmond Ridder (9) for a safety on the games final play  during the second half at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

Azeez Ojulari, Edge

The Jets need to add more pass-rushing depth and Ojulari is the best edge rusher remaining in the draft. Ojulari would fit well within the Jets defense where he would likely crack the pass-rushing rotation as a rookie. He'd make a lot of sense at No. 34 if Jacksonville doesn't take him.

Joseph Ossai, Edge 

Another edge rusher with major potential and big-school pedigree. Ossai would give the Jets more depth at a key position and if he reached anything near his potential he could turn one of the Jets' biggest defensive weaknesses into a strength. 

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB

The Jets need a weakside linebacker for their new defensive scheme and Owusu-Koramoah, who was regarded by most as a first-round talent, would be a perfect fit. His athleticism and coverage skills would make sense for the Jets at No. 34. 

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

Aaron Robinson, CB

Cornerback is the one position the Jets can't ignore on day two, and Robinson's versatility should be intriguing to them given their lack of depth at the position. Robinson has played outside and in the slot and could be an option for the Jets if they trade down to later in the second round. 

Trey Sermon, RB

The Jets need to add depth at running back and Sermon has the game to earn snaps alongside Wilson on Day 1. Given all their needs it's hard to see the Jets using the 34th pick on a running back, bin the mid-second round or later it would make sense. 

TDN has us taking Ojulari in their second round mock. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-draft-round-2-mock

As for potential trade-down options, they have: Jenkins (35), Owusu-Koromoah (36), Samuel Jr (37), Eichenberg (38), E Moore (41), Perkins (43), Davis (49), Williams (50), R Moore (51), Radunz (52), Humphrey (56), Cox (58), Meinerz (64).

That board would be a decent endorsement for trading down. 

18 minutes ago, derp said:

I’ve figured out that I primarily want the Jets to address the OL but I think the most prudent way for them to do that is by taking Dalman or Kendrick Green later and so I’m stuck between this idea that Jenkins is the best pick at 34 and the desire to move down, add skill talent, and grab Dalman or Green with the selection they pick up. Guess they could do both but I don’t really expect that.

Kind of think Douglas is more done for now than I want him to be on the OL, but also one new starter instead of two or three is probably prudent.

Spot on..1 more possibility for tomorrow, Jimmy Morrisey from Pitt

Measureables: 6-foot-3 1/4, 303 pounds, 32 3/4-inch arms. 5.31 40, 4.47 shuttle, 26 bench-press reps.

With 47 career starts under his belt, he brings plenty of experience, intelligence and leadership (team captain). He possesses a thick, stout lower body, along with powerful legs and thighs. Morrissey does an excellent job keeping feet chopping upon and through contact. When he’s not busy serving up pancakes on the field, Morrissey can often be found in the film room or weight room during the week. While he has some limitations athletically, which limits his ceiling, he has a high floor and will be a sturdy, safe selection.

Built for outside zone attack.

zone-blocking center who is most effective in motion. Patient, fundamentally sound in all areas and displays great awareness. Bends his knees, immediately gets his hands up, and consistently blocks with proper leverage. Fires off the snap into blocks, shows explosiveness at the point, and quickly gets out to the second level.

Possesses outstanding vision, sees the blitz, and adjusts to knock defenders from their angles of attack. Effective with the shotgun snap. Does a great job quarterbacking the offensive line.

Negatives: Must improve his strength at the point of attack. Needs a running start into blocks and doesn’t move defenders off the ball.

Analysis: Morrissey was a consistent center for Pittsburgh and gets the most from his ability. He comes with size limitations yet will flourish in a zone-blocking system.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I watched some Elijah Moore highlights today and came away thinking his QB was awesome. Matt Corral. Ole Miss sucked last year, but Corral went 21 for 28, 365, 2 TDs, 0 INTs vs Alabama.

No you didn't there are no VHS tape cassettes available on him. 

2 hours ago, J_Smith said:

Stay put in round 2.

trade up into round 3

come out of the draft with 4 starters, then hope we get lucky with a late round pick

I would see this as a good fall back plan.   

Ideally...I would think JD would at least see if he can secure a 3rd round pick without having to trade down too far.  And maintain his very good positions with 2 picks each in those important Day 3 rounds 4th and 5th.  Because a trade down of just 4-7 places is not impossible...if a team is stoked to move up for a specific player.  And be willing to give up a third.  If not...then yea...use one of the 4th and 5th rounders to move back into the 3rd would be a good move.  Then use #34 and pick another stud player that's there.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

This. 

We just traded up for a day one starter for our weakest offensive line position. Dalman or Green should be available later, as well as others. 

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, there will be no other defensive player like that period for the remainder of the draft. That's 3 day 1 starters in our first three picks, all fit our scheme perfectly and every one is a massive upgrade. 

There will be good off ball linebackers too, but I agree he’s the most unique guy left.

The perk to someone like Jenkins is he’s nasty and he can play short-term and fill a bigger need long-term. It’d be awesome if the Jets can just run the ball down teams’ throats this year.

But yeah, JOK is a freak. It’s interesting where you’ve got the rankings where everyone said yeah he’s undersized so we’ll knock him for that and after that knock he’s a top 20 player. Potentially a huge impact. And this team’s linebacker depth chart is a gigantic crater.

Something like JOK, Dalman or Green, Dayo Odeyingbo, Zach Davidson, Ben Mason, Nick Niemann or Buddy Johnson, and Kene Nwangwu...would work. Definitely would work. Lots of captains - think I only cheated on Green and Davisson. Sign Steven Nelson and you’re off and running. Guess another receiver would be nice too, not many day three team captains there. Trevon Grimes late would be good. I’d love Darden too. Trade down or some 2022 capital and throw one of those guys in.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Spot on..1 more possibility for tomorrow, Jimmy Morrisey from Pitt

Measureables: 6-foot-3 1/4, 303 pounds, 32 3/4-inch arms. 5.31 40, 4.47 shuttle, 26 bench-press reps.

With 47 career starts under his belt, he brings plenty of experience, intelligence and leadership (team captain). He possesses a thick, stout lower body, along with powerful legs and thighs. Morrissey does an excellent job keeping feet chopping upon and through contact. When he’s not busy serving up pancakes on the field, Morrissey can often be found in the film room or weight room during the week. While he has some limitations athletically, which limits his ceiling, he has a high floor and will be a sturdy, safe selection.

Built for outside zone attack.

zone-blocking center who is most effective in motion. Patient, fundamentally sound in all areas and displays great awareness. Bends his knees, immediately gets his hands up, and consistently blocks with proper leverage. Fires off the snap into blocks, shows explosiveness at the point, and quickly gets out to the second level.

Possesses outstanding vision, sees the blitz, and adjusts to knock defenders from their angles of attack. Effective with the shotgun snap. Does a great job quarterbacking the offensive line.

Negatives: Must improve his strength at the point of attack. Needs a running start into blocks and doesn’t move defenders off the ball.

Analysis: Morrissey was a consistent center for Pittsburgh and gets the most from his ability. He comes with size limitations yet will flourish in a zone-blocking system.

Could definitely see them liking him late. They’ve got roster room to develop him and can of course kick McGovern to guard if Morrisey’s play warrants.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2 RB's went in the 1st round last night. 

Time will tell how that works out for Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. 

This.

No one is saying we have to devalue the guard position; but we could have grabbed a guard this morning at #34 and one of the stud RB's at #23.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Teams with 2 (or more) picks in the 3rd Round:

CLE, DAL(3), DET, LAC, LAR, LV, MIN(4), NO, TEN, WAS...

I think there are up to 10 great starters for us tonight.

I liked the idea of moving down up to 10 spots to get back a 3 rounder.

However, this isn't possible according to the chart. Wed have to trade to the end of the second to pick up a tail end 3rd. Dont like this.

so stay at 34 if that's the case and take that lb, teven jenkins, the rb for nc or marshall jr.

Really cant go wrong at 34. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I think there are up to 10 great starters for us tonight.

I liked the idea of moving down up to 10 spots to get back a 3 rounder.

However, this isn't possible according to the chart. Wed have to trade to the end of the second to pick up a tail end 3rd. Dont like this.

so stay at 34 if that's the case and take that lb, teven jenkins, the rb for nc or marshall jr.

Really cant go wrong at 34. 

Not the end.  From a pure value match perspective, WFT at #51/#82 is a very close fit.  570 vs. 560.   But moving up to the top of Day 2 should carry at least a small premium.  So WFT can do #51/#74 for a 610/560 match.  LV at #48/#80 is also 610.

Or, if we want to stay higher up, DAL at #44/#75 is 657 points.  We can throw back the late 4th rounder we got from MIN to balance that out.

Or if we really want to stay close, PHI at #37/#84 is interesting.  Only three spots to slide down, which only works if there is a guy PHI has to have.  700 pts would probably require the late 4th plus another late round pick either this year or next.  That's a trade I like.  Picking 5th in the 2nd round leaves us with a list including JOK, Ojulari, Jenkins, Moore, Marshall, Williams and a few others.  I think we could still do well moving back to #44 as well.  We'll see how it goes.