Day 2 strategies - get it out of your system!!!

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I’m getting the feeling the Jets are going to stay put and take Javonte Williams.

Between the reports that the Jets feel there is a dramatic drop off at the position after Harris/Etienne/Williams, Pauline being all but convinced they went into the draft wanting to land one, Tevin Coleman being constantly banged up, etc.

I'd prefer they hang on and hope Gainwell falls into the 4th.

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

We're in a great position with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. Several players that were rated as 1st round prospects have dropped. It's been reported the JD liked Jenkins and Humphrey. 

The players are sitting there for our taking. DO IT. Build a kick-butt OL. Build the foundation.

Trading down just to recoup the 3rd rounders is a gamble. Take the GOOD players when they're there for the taking and forgo rolling the dice on 2 3rd round players after a trade down.

You can possibly trade down a little and still get a first round talent.  A lot left in the board 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I watched some Elijah Moore highlights today and came away thinking his QB was awesome. Matt Corral. Ole Miss sucked last year, but Corral went 21 for 28, 365, 2 TDs, 0 INTs vs Alabama.

I watched Rondale Moore and I thought thats a smaller version of Deebo and Aiyuk. I watched Elijah Moore and came away thinking this guy looks like a Jamison Crowder type. 5'8 and a slot guy thats not really a YAC guy pretty much is Jamison Crowder to me. 

Would not like the Elijah Moore pick at all. I don't really see a huge difference between him and say Anthony Scwartz in R4. Javonte and Rondale could be main cogs in an offense. I don't see what he offers different then what we have. Hope we go a different direction. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

You can possibly trade down a little and still get a first round talent.  A lot left in the board 

Trading down a little won't net you much and you might miss out on someone you really liked. Dropping down far enough to get two 3rd's is a gamble. Take the player you had rated as 1st rounder and don't look back.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

Trading down a little won't net you much and you might miss out on someone you really liked. Dropping down far enough to get two 3rd's is a gamble. Take the player you had rated as 1st rounder and don't look back.

Agree to disagree.  I’m fine with staying out at 34 but it’s also very valuable for offers 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I’m getting the feeling the Jets are going to stay put and take Javonte Williams.

Between the reports that the Jets feel there is a dramatic drop off at the position after Harris/Etienne/Williams, Pauline being all but convinced they went into the draft wanting to land one, Tevin Coleman being constantly banged up, etc.

Ill take Javonte for sure but isnt he not outside zone schemes?

1 hour ago, J_Smith said:

Use a 4th and a pick next year to move into round 3...

edit***
we came in with 22 picks between this year and next year. I highly doubt the plan is to take 22 players.... package picks and move up to get the guys we identify as difference makers

I agree that the only way to do this is to use picks from next year in the mix, which will be devalued accordingly. Douglas was purposeful in not giving up any picks from next year when he traded up with the Vikings. Next year's draft is better than this one and he will want to hold his cards to negotiate trades in 2022. Flexing the high 2 this year to a mid 2 to regain the 3 seems to make much more sense. That extra 3 will allow greater flexibility to address both defense and offense with the next two rounds tonight.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I agree that the only way to do this is to use picks from next year in the mix, which will be devalued accordingly. Douglas was purposeful in not giving up any picks from next year when he traded up with the Vikings. Next year's draft is better than this one and he will want to hold his cards to negotiate trades in 2022. Flexing the high 2 this year to a mid 2 to regain the 3 seems to make much more sense. That extra 3 will allow greater flexibility to address both defense and offense with the next two rounds tonight.

I think we are already seeing signs that, with JD now in charge of Football Operations, he will look to build a competitive football team rather than try to score on draft picks, like Maccagnan did.  

IMHO, JD is in a tough spot here, because if he wants to be competitive this year he would try and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks, in a draft that is probably that deep because of COVID.   Players drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds can step in and play CB, LB, RB, TE, EDGE, G.   The team still has many holes.  

But 34 should yield a player with a 1st round grade.  So I can also see getting a really good player there, like a JOK or Humphrey, and then roll with what we have.  I think that results in a pretty tough 2021 season and builds for the future.  But at some point the future is now, because players will always be leaving as you bring new players in.  I am leaning toward making sure ZW is protected and have 2021 be a building year but 2022 be the year when the Jets really compete.  

But trading 3-6 spots back and picking up a 3rd round pick works too.  

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

That would make three players that are arguably the best at their positions added to the roster.  Cannot be unhappy if we end up like this.  We can still move back into the 3rd if need be.