The Official 2021 Grade JD's 1st Round Poll

A lot of opinions spread across multiple threads but wanted to see a quick snap shot on how you feel JD performed in the first round this year  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Does JD pass or fail?

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So just so I understand:

-Grading Day 1 Draft Picks on the morning of Day 2 = ok

-Grading the 2020 Draft Class in 2021 = not ok

Some days this forum really confuses me.....

We're grading the GM, not the players. :-) 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

We're grading the GM, not the players. :-) 

Then what are you grading the GM about, if not the players he picked? ?

In any event.....sarcasm about Forum Fan hypocrisy aside.......

I graded it a B so far.

I don't have belief that Wilson will be a Franchise QB.  TBD, but till he shows us he's legit on an NFL field, he's a C pick IMO.  Well trodden territory in the months leading up to this draft.

I very much like the AVT pick, even if I would have preferred it didn't cost us those mid-rounders.  This one is an A- (A if we didn't have to trade up).

So net is a B.  On to day 2.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

all thios time here and i had no idea you could see who voted.  it took me like 5 min to figure out what your post meant lol.  i am hungover though in my defense.

Depends on how the OP sets up the Poll.  Most folks seem to forget to click "make votes public" or whatever it's called when creating their poll.

Also, feels like an odd call out @Jetsfan80, did you think I wouldn't explain my B grade, thus needing it to be "exposed"? :) 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

all thios time here and i had no idea you could see who voted.  it took me like 5 min to figure out what your post meant lol.  i am hungover though in my defense.

Haha.  Polls give you the option to show who votes for what; I don't believe this is the default setting so many polls don't have that feature initiated!

• Upvote 1

Everything from the mid third round on is a crapshoot this year with the wonky scouting and season. A late 3rd and late 4th are not fluctuating in value as much as they would in another year, and everyone's boards are so different that you will likely get one of the three or four guys that you targeted anyways. It's a weird way to look at it and I'm sure plenty will disagree but IMO Douglas really only gave up a third to move up 10 slots in the first. That's nuts.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Depends on how the OP sets up the Poll.  Most folks seem to forget to click "make votes public" or whatever it's called when creating their poll.

Also, feels like an odd call out @Jetsfan80, did you think I wouldn't explain my B grade, thus needing it to be "exposed"? :) 

I just found it a bit humorous that you questioned the reasoning/timing behind even conducting a poll like this the day after Rd 1, but couldn't help yourself in voting anyways.  lol.   

As if you sat there going "Fine, if you're gonna make me give a grade..."

And FTR I think B is a fair grade.  I went with an A-.  I liked the process behind the picks, especially the trade up, but didn't go higher than that because I need Mormon Mahomes to show me he can be a top-flight QB before I'll buy in.  Not making that mistake again in getting emotionally invested quickly with a Jets rookie QB.  

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I couldn’t possibly be happier.  I, particularly, loved the aggressive move to get AVT.  Obviously it’s now on the team and players to develop, but round 1, based on rankings (personal & outside), looks very promising.

Agree the AVT pick was a good move, my only concern is JD seems to be dictated by what NE will do last year it was QB James Morgan who rumors circulated NE wanted him this year it was rumored NE wanted AVT. 

I could be wrong but we need to stop being concerned about NE and do whats best for the NY Jets. 

After tonights pick #34 we dont have another selection for awhile. 

• WTF? 2

Personally, I grade on a combination of what we got and what the GM did to get there.  You can doubt Wilson, but was there a better move to be made at #2?  If not, then you can't really ding Douglas.  He didn't trade up to get there, he took the best player on his board.  The only thing you can question is if he could have traded down and done better.  I have a hard time believing that.

The AVT move was aggressive, but nobody questions the player, just the cost.  If he turns into an All-Pro Guard, nobody will ever wonder about those 3rd round picks (not even counting the 4th we got back).

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just found it a bit humorous that you questioned the reasoning/timing behind even conducting a poll like this the day after Rd 1, but couldn't help yourself in voting anyways.  lol.   

I'm sure you understood I was making a specific point. 

We have no shortage of posters on this forum who say you cannot grade a draft (and will yell at you if you try) until 2, 3 or even 4 years afterwards. 

Yet some of those folks are also here in this thread, grading a Draft an A+++++++++ on Day 2.

As if you sat there going "Fine, if you're gonna make me give a grade..."

I have no problem grading anything, at any time. :)

As long as we know and are honest about what we're grading, and the limits of knowledge at the point you're laying the grade.

And FTR I think B is a fair grade.  I went with an A-, because I need Mormon Mahomes to show me he can be a top-flight QB before I'll buy in.  Not making that mistake again in getting emotionally invested quickly with a Jets rookie QB.  

If Wilson is what his fans think, it's an A so far, obviously.  Just no way to know yet what he'll be, IMO he's pure TBD. 

Could be a stud, could be a total bust.  Impossible IMO to know today.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

If Wilson is what his fans think, it's an A so far, obviously.  Just no way to know yet what he'll be, IMO he's pure TBD. 

Could be a stud, could be a total bust.  Impossible IMO to know today.

Understandable.  But I think he'll be well within that gray area between "stud" and "bust".  Possible QB purgatory similar to your boy Kirk Cousins, lol.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its an A+ and Id give it an A++ if that was an option.  We protected this kids blindside for the next decade.  Becton + Vera Tucker will be perennial pro bowlers for years to come.  This is shades of Mangold/Brick.

Joe D knocked it out of the park again.

I gave an A+ because he learned from his mistake last year not protecting the QB.  When those OL started going he made the right call.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bahaha a fine attempt.  So what would your real grade be?

A. It can be an A+ if AVT is as good as we hope but I would have liked more picks in this draft’s top 100.  I would have preferred a trade back over drafting QB if there was a crazy offer like what the 49ers traded to the eagles. Overall, I am happy and it looks like my not watching the draft, may have actually worked for everyone. My superstitions work. 

• Upvote 3

I gave it a B.  For several months I have been saying I preferred Fields to Wilson -- would have been hypcritical to give it an A.  Also, while I like the focus on OL, we paid a steep price when, witht he benifit of hindsight, we probably could have stayed at 23 and still gotten an OL starter without giving up the 2 picks.

Solid day 1, but not a home run.  Solid B.

• Upvote 1

It's nothing but grey area after the first 50 or so picks because of how unique this draft is. Jets gave up very little to secure another guy within the top 20 that was properly graded for that slot. Considering the context of the draft this year and the need, that's Douglas' best move since being hired. Loved it loved it loved it. 

• Upvote 3

Listen, when you draft a QB top 5, you need to immediately throw all resources to support him.  This is still a passing league and I gave this an A+ strictly because the Jets are finally finally doing it right.  I've seen people lambast Wilson about having "forever" to throw at BYU. Well guess what?  You outside of revamping your scheme, you provide the environment in which he thrived in!  That's what made him the pick anyways, give him all the time in the pocket and give him weapons. It's time ladies and gentlemen, this doesn't guarantee anything, but it won't be for a lack of effort this time around! 

• Upvote 2