The Official 2021 Grade JD's 1st Round Poll

A lot of opinions spread across multiple threads but wanted to see a quick snap shot on how you feel JD performed in the first round this year  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Does JD pass or fail?

39 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

Listen, when you draft a QB top 5, you need to immediately throw all resources to support him.  This is still a passing league and I gave this an A+ strictly because the Jets are finally finally doing it right.  I've seen people lambast Wilson about having "forever" to throw at BYU. Well guess what?  You outside of revamping your scheme, you provide the environment in which he thrived in!  That's what made him the pick anyways, give him all the time in the pocket and give him weapons. It's time ladies and gentlemen, this doesn't guarantee anything, but it won't be for a lack of effort this time around! 

I agree.

Today will be interesting from that point.

Not that comparisons to Mike Maccagnan say much of anything, considering Maccagnan was the worst NFL GM of all-time, but....

After Maccagnan traded up to take a QB (Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield being the targets, in that pretty much established and fairly well-documented order), he used his very next pick on a 28-year small school project DT who ended up little more than a decent rotational piece.  No one on JN had DT as a need entering that draft, for obvious reasons.

Joe Douglas used the # 2 overall pick on a QB, and with his next pick, he proceeded to trade up for a top-flight Guard prospect, the very thing that JN consensus said we needed most at this time.  

So, yeah, it makes perfect and logical sense that 73 of 90 votes (81.1 %) are an A- or better at the moment.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Everything from the mid third round on is a crapshoot this year with the wonky scouting and season. A late 3rd and late 4th are not fluctuating in value as much as they would in another year, and everyone's boards are so different that you will likely get one of the three or four guys that you targeted anyways. It's a weird way to look at it and I'm sure plenty will disagree but IMO Douglas really only gave up a third to move up 10 slots in the first. That's nuts.

They gave up the second pick in the third round as one of those thirds, and got back something like the second-to-last pick in the fourth. We’re calling them a round apart, but they’re really two rounds apart. 

It is what it is. I like the aggressive move to get their guy, but it wasn’t inexpensive. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

They gave up the second pick in the third round as one of those thirds, and got back something like the second-to-last pick in the fourth. We’re calling them a round apart, but they’re really two rounds apart. 

It is what it is. I like the aggressive move to get their guy, but it wasn’t inexpensive. 

Your face is two rounds apart. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I give it a B. Just because I still think we should have rolled with Sam and traded the #2 for a butt load of picks. I just imagine what the next two or three drafts  would have looked like with all those extra picks.

I hope Wilson proves me wrong but I've got to see this kid play against NFL players while on a rebuilding Jets team that had the worst talented roster in the league by far. Pisses me off that the Jets were too stupid to tank like Jax and Philly.

JD - please pick Jenkins tonight. Wilson is going to need all the protection and running game he can get.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

B

I like the players that the Jets drafted in the 1st round.  Wilson was the consensus pick at #2.  I like that the next pick builds around him and strengthens one of the most important position groups in the sport.

I question whether the trade up was worth it.  Is there really that much of a drop off from AVT to Jenkins?  Time will tell, but I sure wish the Jets still had their two 3rd rounders to continue building around the new quarterback.

It’s an A for me thus far. Yeah, giving up two 3s isn’t ideal, but either we come out of day 2 with 3 day 1 starters with rd 1 grades...or joe trades down and adds some swings. Either way, considering adding Zach and the OT I personally wanted most out of the group... I don’t think you can ask for much more. 

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I give it a B. Just because I still think we should have rolled with Sam and traded the #2 for a butt load of picks. I just imagine what the next two or three drafts  would have looked like with all those extra picks.

I hope Wilson proves me wrong but I've got to see this kid play against NFL players while on a rebuilding Jets team that had the worst talented roster in the league by far. Pisses me off that the Jets were too stupid to tank like Jax and Philly.

JD - please pick Jenkins tonight. Wilson is going to need all the protection and running game he can get.

When I look at the drafts without the players the Jets could have gotten in the third round, I lean to agreeing more with ^.

I think by next year, if the Jets can attract FAs they can get it together, but the roster will be better this year but still have too many gaping holes.

Drafting JOK in the 2nd and Green perhaps in the 4th, and signing a Nelson to play CB, is probably the best way to fill holes while building for the future.  Could even add Dalman after that to build the line long term.  But then we still need a T.  They will not be around in the 4th. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree the AVT pick was a good move, my only concern is JD seems to be dictated by what NE will do last year it was QB James Morgan who rumors circulated NE wanted him this year it was rumored NE wanted AVT. 

I could be wrong but we need to stop being concerned about NE and do whats best for the NY Jets. 

After tonights pick #34 we dont have another selection for awhile. 

Pats wanted AVT?

When they needed and wanted a QB?

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

There's a plan.  The plan makes sense.  They are executing the plan.

It seems overly simple, but it's clear none of that happened before.

Yes, while having a plan and executing a plan are significant improvements over previous GMs...

..the plan does have to work as well. 

I have some quibbles about what JD does, but that is much better than the general WTF are they doing experience of the last several years

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes read tweets that they wanted him. 

Last year there was rumors they wanted James Morgan. 

Joe, they wanted a QB

They drafted a QB

No one knows who any of these teams want, unless theres a position of need and a player sitting there.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Joe, they wanted a QB

They drafted a QB

No one knows who any of these teams want, unless theres a position of need and a player sitting there.  

Jet Nut I know that we wanted a QB we got the one we wanted. 

I thought we were discussing the AVT #14 pick that we traded up for. 

There were reports NE wanted him.