Report: Jets receiving a lot of interest for pick 34

45 minutes ago, 7561526667 said:

I have another take on trading down (or at least I think I do). Where the Jets are sitting with the 2nd pick in round 2, JD might be able to get a first rounder in next year's draft, especially if he's will to move back into the middle of the 2nd round. We have seen this type of trade in the past, but the Jets have never had a GM who could pull off such a slick move. Maybe JD is just that guy.

If Douglas wants to get back in the 3rd, he could always package a 4 & 5 to do so. This would leave the Jets w/3 1's next year, and still be able to get back into the 3rd round.

Absolutely. 3 1s and 2 2s, in a reported stronger draft.. one caveat, i would not make the trade with a team like kc or tampa, since pick will likely be around 30, not great value considering its next yrs pick..

50 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Have you watched our offensive line the past two years? If he would be a serviceable guard who might be able to turn into a serviceable rt that would be great. I'd personally rather grab creed Humphrey and address the right side next year when we have two seconds and two fourths.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Again you need to take into consideration that the blocking schemes will be totally different in this system.  Perhaps some OL on our current roster are being evaluated higher than how they performed in previous schemes.  I'll trust that JD and team have an idea of what they need in order to protect our new #1 asset. 

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

unless we get blown away we should just stay put and be one of those teams that takes what we thought was a first-rounder

I agree. Listen. The more I think about it the more I just want to take Teven Jenkins and walk away from this draft feeling like you got two blue chip, plug and play prospects at positions of need on the O-line. In a draft where you have taken a FQB no less. We talk about building through the draft, we talk about the importance of the O-line, we talk about how a rookie QB can't succeed if he's not protected, how any RB can be 1,000yrd rusher in this system if the O-line is good. Well, THIS is how you do it. You don't trade down and miss out on the remaining top tier O-line talent. 

I've said this before. If someone is there in Rd. 3 who JD absolutely loves and he no longer has that 3rd round pick- he has two 4ths, two 5ths, two 2nds and 3rds next year. Use some if that draft capital and go get your guy. Otherwise, wait until the 4th an be happy the O-line does not need to be addressed anymore.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This thread is nuts.  

Trading down to get back a mid third means we have drop 20 spots in the second.

Amon-Ra St. Brown in the second instead of J.O-K or Teven.  Really?

If there's competition for 34, then moving down from the 2nd pick 10-12 spots could easily yield us a mid 3rd. The team you are trading down with is probably already in the middle of each round.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Frequently means above 50%. I don't think it's even close to that

No, frequently is a relative term.

50% is quantifiably “half”.

In two separate statements you’ve just made up percentages. How is anyone supposed to have a serious convo with that?

His point, and mine, his that certain positions have a higher proven rate of success - as starters. In total, all drafted 3rd round picks might only produce a starter at a 10% rate - as you said - but, that number is an average.

You know how averages work, right? 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

How far would they have to drop to recoup a third?  I would guess about 20 spots down,  to do that

Really depends on how many teams covet players in the 33-37 range . When there's a bidding war the value chart goes out the window, doubly so for GM's who are emotionally charged. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Really depends on how many teams covet players in the 33-37 range . When there's a bidding war the value chart goes out the window, doubly so for GM's who are emotionally charged. 

I would also think that they would throw in that 4th they got from the Vikings as a way to insure they get a 3rd back without having to drop too far down in the 2nd. 

54 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Realistically, Trey Smith or similar could easily be around to do the same thing tomorrow. And we have a bunch of picks day 3. I get that Jenkins is a great option, but I wouldn’t let him dissuade me from moving back 10 picks and recouping another swing tonight. 

Trey Smith is a health risk. he does not really fit the system. He is not an OT like Jenkins. I mean, its apples to oranges. Theres a reason everyone is talking about Jenkins as one of the top remaining prospects and a guy who fell out of the first round. Many (including me) didn't even think he would be there at 23. The only reason we are talking about putting Jenkins at G is because the Jets have Fant and he is versatile enough to excel there. Of course there are other good guards JD can draft later on. But what we are talking about is a future bookend to Becton. 

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

They very well could have  8 or 10 guys on their board with late 1st , early 2nd round grades.  If that is the case and they can trade down 5-6 slots and get an extra pick in the 3rd why not do it.

Yeah but a couple guy might have a mid 1st grade 

i'm more enticed by getting another stud player.......something which gets less and less likely the further down the drat you go

I agree - it could be the difference between a starter or a developmental player. Don’t trade back more than 10 spots or the great position you are in gets you lesser players.

Just now, neckdemon said:

Yeah but a couple guy might have a mid 1st grade 

In reality a late 1st vs early second grade is almost a wash . Any of those guys picked in those slots could easily be flip-flopped depending on the team needs who are picking there. 

for what though? just for the sake of having a pick in the 3rd round? i don't understand this logic. 

It doesn't make sense.  What makes sense is how many players the Jets really want at #34, and how many spots they could move down while still getting one of those players.

If the max is 8 spots, then the Jets can not move down more than 8 spots while recouping a 3rd round pick. It's that simple.  

The only other scenario is if a team will blow you away with a trade, like the Jets trading down 20 spots, and getting back a 1st round pick next year and getting a 4th round pick next year as well as the #54 pick of this second round.  They give up the player they want, but get the other teams 2nd, their 4th and next years 1st round pick.

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I feel disgusting for saying this, but I had an ever so fleeting thought today about drafting Barmore and pairing him with Quinnen to create a terrifying defensive front. Couldn’t believe the thought made its way into my consciousness but it did. I am ashamed. 

Half Baked Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Trade 34 to the Eagles for Ertz and the 37, then select OL Teven Jenkins, OL Jalen Mayfield, OL Creed Humphrey, RB Williams or WR Elijah Moore.

Yeah, i dunno. Ertz? If I'm not mistaken we'd be paying him what? 12mil? And he's a FA in 2022? Why are we trading for him? 

Elijah Moore is overrated IMO. I'm sorry, he just is. I just don't view him as an elite, explosive playmaker. He's a shifty slot receiver with great hands who runs really nice routes. But I'm not taking him this early. Would rather draft Rondale Moore despite the injuries. 

Williams is a very good RB but I'm still a believer that the Jets, with this offensive scheme, will not be looking to take a RB until later in the draft 4th, 5th maybe even 6th rounds. I still believe they end up with Khalil Herbert in the 4th or Jermar Jefferson in the 5th. 

Jenkins and Humphrey I could definitely see them taking. But those guys could very well be gone if they move down. I guarantee they will go EARLY in R. 2.  

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Trading back 8-10 spots, picking up a 3rd and grabbing a guy like Freiermuth would be pretty sweet.

Feiermuth according to Baldine is not as good  a blocker as Pitts

though he has good hands, not much of a receiving threat. The

bald fellow ranks him as a third rounder. Though I don't care

for Wesco, Fire Sale isn't much better

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No, frequently is a relative term.

50% is quantifiably “half”.

In two separate statements you’ve just made up percentages. How is anyone supposed to have a serious convo with that?

His point, and mine, his that certain positions have a higher proven rate of success - as starters. In total, all drafted 3rd round picks might only produce a starter at a 10% rate - as you said - but, that number is an average.

You know how averages work, right? 

I'll bite. From 2009-2018 there were a combined 32 Guards and Centers selected in the 3rd round. 4 made the Pro Bowl in their career.  12.5%

In that same time frame 24 Guards and Centers were selected in the 2nd Round.  6 made the Pro Bowl in their career. 25%.

So taking a Guard or Center in round 2 instead of Round 3 doubles your chances of finding a Pro Bowl player. 

• Upvote 2

We should definitely trade back. 

Because this 2nd round is loaded with offensive X-Factors. 

My favorites no specific order are RB Williams UNC, WR Elijah Moore Mississippi, WR Terrace Marshall Jr LSU, Rondale Moore, WR Purdue, RT Telvin Jenkins, C Creed Humphrey Oklahoma etc 

I'd love to trade back and still land one if these kids. 

• Upvote 2