Changing times

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We used most of our FA resources on the defense and Douglas drafted Zuniga, Davis and Bryce Hall last year.  Hall and Davis are possible started calibre.

Our offense has been heinously neglected for a dozen years.  We just draft a new shiny QB after ruing a guy over the last 3 years.

We have tons of picks next year.

We need to make this an offense based draft.

It already is.  A pair of 1st round offense makes it so no matter what he picks today.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We used most of our FA resources on the defense and Douglas drafted Zuniga, Davis and Bryce Hall last year.  Hall and Davis are possible started calibre.

Our offense has been heinously neglected for a dozen years.  We just draft a new shiny QB after ruing a guy over the last 3 years.

With the QB, G in place we now can draft whatever position he wants.  In fact the position of most need is probably corner

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

With the QB, G in place we now can draft whatever position he wants.  In fact the position of most need is probably corner

I could stomach a corner but that position imo is good and deep this year.  I also keep hearing every one and their dog on here saying Cb is not priority for the Saleh system.

It's going to be interesting the jets could go in any one of a half dozen directions with their pick.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I could stomach a corner but that position imo is good and deep this year.  I also keep hearing every one and their dog on here saying Cb is not priority for the Saleh system.

It's going to be interesting the jets could go in any one of a half dozen directions with their pick.

May not be priority but that doesn't mean Saleh want s to go into the season with Austin and Hall as hes CBs

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've literally changed my mind like 50 times today on what to do at 34. I'll be happy with most options, there are a few things that I will not like such as taking any CB in this spot. I will barf if we try to grab Asante Samuel Jr.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

From 2014 through 2019, the Jets had 11 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft, and took only four offensive players: 1 in the first (Darnold), 3 in the second (Amaro, Devin Smith, Hackenberg).

In the Joe Douglas Era, the Jets had 5 first and second round picks, with the fifth coming tonight. So far, Douglas has drafted 4 offensive players (Wilson, Becton, AVT, Mims). If we go offense again tonight, it would be 5/5. Even if we go D, we'll have spent 80% of our premium picks on offense.

That can't last forever, or the D will end up as the neglected stepchild. But there's a reason our offense has been a wasteland for years, and it's primarily because we've refused to devote meaningful assets to it (and 75% of the ones we did were abysmal)

Other thing that I pointed out last night.  First pick after we took Darnold in 2018 was a small school DT, Nathan Shepherd.  First pick after taking Darnold was a trade up for an OG.  It is a different era, for sure.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As a side signing to help Saleh teach his defense but thats not the same as drafting a long term solution at the position.  I assumed we would sign Sherman no matter what  

If we sign Sherman, we don't need a CB in 2021.

Great thing about the NFL, they do this whole Draft-thing every year.  Like Clockwork!

I have a distinct feeling there will, in fact, be Cornerbacks in the 2022, 2023, 2024, etc. Drafts.  

I think we'll be ok :)

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am aware that what I am about to say is completely unreasonable and dumb but seriously **** the defense.

There was a debate on the Jets subreddit this past week about possibly drafting Newsome or (vomit) Zaven Collins at 23 and I wrote “**** the defense” and was met with downvotes and scorn. Address the defense when the team is competitive. Until then, support the young QB. 

Just now, Warfish said:

If we sign Sherman, we don't need a CB in 2021.

Great thing about the NFL, they do this whole Draft-thing every year.  Like Clockwork!

I have a distinct feeling there will, in fact, be Cornerbacks in the 2022, 2023, 2024, etc. Drafts.  

I think we'll be ok :)

And if we dont draft a Surtain while we can this year, we may not get a chance to draft a CB rated that highly again.  

A defense based on zone, where the DL puts pressure on the QB and allows the athletic corners to make plays isnt we dont rely on corners, it makes them pretty important

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I am not in love with any CB at 34.  No. F. In. Way.  If it's defense it has to be J O K.  Think about Saleh's use of LBs in SFO and picture it here my friend.  After you wipe the saliva, have Douglas sign Sherman and draft a CB later.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I am not in love with any CB at 34.  No. F. In. Way.  If it's defense it has to be J O K.  Think about Saleh's use of LBs in SFO and picture it here my friend.  After you wipe the saliva, have Douglas sign Sherman and draft a CB later.

p.s.  my guess is we get a terrific trade down and Jeremiah goes 1st, 2nd or 3rd tonight to a very smart team.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And if we dont draft a Surtain while we can this year, we may not get a chance to draft a CB rated that highly again.  

Sure we will.  I'm almost Surtain of it, lol.

A defense based on zone, where the DL puts pressure on the QB and allows the athletic corners to make plays isnt we dont rely on corners, it makes them pretty important

Not as important, in my view, as protecting our investment in Wilson, and scoring points. :)

Isn't up to me, obviously, but drafting CB is a silly move at #34.  Later in the draft, sure, #34 needs to be invested in the Offense and Mr. Wilson.

If Saleh is as good as we all think and hope, he'll make do for a year with Sherman, Hall and what we've got. and be fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

May not be priority but that doesn't mean Saleh want s to go into the season with Austin and Hall as hes CBs

So sign Sherman already to a 1 yr deal or one of those "2-year" that are really one year deals , and draft a CB (or two) day 3.  If there's any defense it has to be LB or EDGE.

56 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We used most of our FA resources on the defense and Douglas drafted Zuniga, Davis and Bryce Hall last year.  Hall and Davis are possible starter calibre.

A dozen years? That sounds like an exaggeration but sadly it is not. Yeesh

This really isn't a concern for now. We're making up for literally decades of neglect on the offensive side of the ball, not just a few years, the line especially was just rotting away for so long. 

It's an offensive league. They dictate and control games and even the best defence can't stop the elite passing attacks. You would have to be as spectacularly bad as the Texans not to be able to compete with an elite offence. The Jets are still pretty far from that - We have some premium pieces on the defensive side of the ball, a strong front 7 in particular. 

The Jets are making the right moves. Let Saleh overachieve with the defence while Wilson gets comfortable, the investment can come later. But right now the building blocks should be prioritised to help the young QB as much as possible. Whether Darnold ever would have been good or not doesn't change the fact that we done everything possible to destroy him. We have to learn from that. Wilson is the key to pulling this franchise out of the mire. 

I’d also point out that going defence wasn’t in itself always the problem. Going for non essential positions time and again was the problem. Jets far too often looked like a team drafting to compete in the 90’s with the positions we prioritised. That’s clearly not an issue at the minute.

• Upvote 1