Jets select WR Elijah Moore

Nice pick.  I like it.  Offense.   Remember offense ??? After Rex ground and pound and single minded obsession with defensive stats and then drafting one DT after another, it is most refreshing to get with the times.  An exciting new QB, adding the best interior offensive lineman and now an explosive pass catcher.   I love it.  I dig it. 

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Again - He's not just a slot WR - that's what you aren't understanding. He's going to catch long touchdown passes and will also be able to play on the outside like Antonio Brown did

There is literally no evidence he can do this.

His production almost entirely came from the slot. 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We were ok at WR, we need OL, we need a RB, we need CB. Unless this guy is amazing, he won't  contribute  until 2022

What?  He’s going to contribute just by lining up. Teams are going to have to account for him on every snap. Screens, jet sweeps, taking a slant to the house. And that threat will free up other WRs, TEs and RBs for plays

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

There is literally no evidence he can do this.

His production almost entirely came from the slot. 

Earlier in his career -yes.

But I believe he played 22% of his snaps this past season on the outside, which was a significant jump from 2018 and 2019 and he is similar physically to Antonio Brown. 

I think he projects as a guy who can take meaningful snaps on the outside - especially in an offense that features play-action. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Stupid pick, couldn't keep the streak going.  Hey fat a$$ you should have drafted OL or RB!!!!

I wanted Humphrey or Javonte but Im happy we got a dynamic player in Moore ,,, when was the last time we had one of them ?

1 minute ago, fullblast said:

It’s OK to have 5 good receivers. They will all play.

I wonder how often they will be in a spread set with 4 wide ??? No idea if Wilson is going to work out, but from what I see, I think he'd probably be best in wide sets with 4 guys in the pattern. 

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Our RB's suck. Gore was the best RB we had last season. Does that tell you anything? I don't  care what system you run, you need talent in the NFL. 

Mostert and Wilson (both UDFAs) have averaged about 5 yards per carry in that system.

Gore was not the best RB on our team last year. He was just the one who had the most carries because our coach was a moron.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fullblast said:

It’s OK to have 5 good receivers. They will all play.

We just don't know what these things look like...it's going to take a while to be comfortable with not desperately worrying whether one of our UDFAs is gonna breakout for us at WR every year because we ignored the position again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

You won’t find a slot receiver with more tough catches on tape than Moore. He hauled in 73% of his contested catch opportunities this past season during his 1,193-yard campaign. That physicality makes me think he can hack it on the outside in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

I'm very happy with the pick.  The production and athleticism speak for themselves.  There is no physical reason he cannot become a Steve Smith or Antonio Brown type of impact player in the NFL.

For the first time in a long time, the Jets have five NFL caliber receivers on the team.  No more relying on the Braxton Berrios, Vyncent Smith, Chris Hogan, Charon Peake, Dionte Burnett, Ardarius Stewart types to make significant contributions to the offense.

The Jets now have two young WRs to develop along with Wilson and a veteran with elite measurables going into his prime.  All were highly drafted and check alot of boxes from a physical standpoint.  These three weapons are all under contract for 2022 and beyond.  The quarterback will have some consistency with his WRs instead of high turnover at the position, and they will hopefully develop some chemistry in the coming years.

It's so refreshing to think that the Jets may actually be able to move the ball and score some points.  It's been a long time coming.

• Upvote 4

Just now, southtown24th said:

You won’t find a slot receiver with more tough catches on tape than Moore. He hauled in 73% of his contested catch opportunities this past season during his 1,193-yard campaign. That physicality makes me think he can hack it on the outside in the NFL.

That is pretty atrocious logic from them.

Tight ends make tough contested catches but you don’t project them to the outside as a result. Moore has incredible ball skills but hasn’t shown anything to show he can beat press coverage on tbe outside.

He’s a good, maybe great slot guy who can provide explosiveness but there’s no need to build him up to be more than what he is.

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Tight ends make tough contested catches but you don’t project them to the outside as a result. Moore has incredible ball skills but hasn’t shown anything to show he can beat press coverage on tbe outside.

He’s a good, maybe great slot guy who can provide explosiveness but there’s no need to build him up to be more than what he is.

he's one of the best WRs in the draft

what a steal!

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Well, he had over 20 catches outside of the slot last season in 8 games, so maybe he can do it. I wouldn’t call the logic “atrocious” though. 

• Upvote 1

PFF:

Some view slot receivers as less valuable than outside WRs for fantasy football, but make no mistake: Moore's role didn’t hinder him from making big plays downfield.

Among the 2021 draft class, Moore finished ninth in air yards (1,182), fifth in catches of 20-plus yards (11) and fourth in deep-ball yards (490). He ranked second in yards and catches on deep targets from the slot. 

Moore’s aDOT from the slot (10.8) is the third-highest among 2021 draft prospects dating back to 2019. 

• Upvote 2

Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2
NFL Comparison
Antonio Brown
Overview
Ultra-competitive slot target with the talent and mindset to handle a heavy amount of targets and shine in the process. He's not very big, but he's stronger than his measurables might suggest and he's shown a fearlessness to make the catch despite impending punishment. Moore has the short-area quickness to snap off crisp routes underneath for separation and the play speed to challenge over the top as well as work the deep middle. He has soft, sure hands and above-average ball skills with a great feel for spatial awareness to hit the sweet spots when working against zone. While longer, more physical cornerbacks could slow him a little bit in the NFL, his athletic profile and playing demeanor should lead evaluators to believe he will be a very good pro early in his career.

The guy doesn't drop anything. He runs good routes. I think he'll spell Crowder and be on the field as the 4th receiver quite often. Being an NFL wideout - and on a team putting in an entirely new offense - takes time to adjust. But he played against some good teams (and had a very strong game against Alabama,) so I think he'll do just fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We were ok at WR, we need OL, we need a RB, we need CB. Unless this guy is amazing, he won't  contribute  until 2022

Now you are just being silly.  We got an OL we signed a running back in FA plus have 3 young talented backs that just need an opportunity.  We do need a cornerback but can still take one in the 4th that will fit the zone scheme Saleh likes.  We actually need LB more than CB so if you are going to whine at least whine about a real need.  We have 6 picks left in this draft.  Lets see what JD does with those picks.

Also, if you think Moore is not going to contribute this year, you are in for a rude awakening, that is whether Crowder is on the team or not.  This dude is too talented not to force his way onto the field.