Over the past 2 drafts Joe Douglas has drafted 5 offensive players throughout the first 2 rounds: Is this real life?

35 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Called it

Sorry for being excited for going OFFENSE 5x throughout the first two rounds during consecutive drafts?

When's the last time we've had a GM that's done, that?

Look @ my username before acting like a prick with your stupid quote's of yourself.

I love going OFFENSE. 

14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Sorry for being excited for going OFFENSE 5x throughout the first two rounds during consecutive drafts?

Look @ my username before acting like a prick with your stupid quote's of yourself.

I love going OFFENSE. 

Loving offense is cool but you know what’s even cooler is having psychic powers

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

This will be awesome right up until halftime of week 1 when we’ve had the ball for barely 3 minutes because our defense is getting gashed right left and centre.....and I say that as someone who’s delighted with our picks so far and I’ve been subjected to way too much unwatchable offense over the last few years like everyone else so looking forward to some excitement, but let’s not all act like we’ll all politely and magnanimously clap our approval when we can’t stop a nose bleed because, well that’s how the league is going 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I love going OFFENSE. 

Basically blasphemy coming from you Mr. DWC. What’s next?  Crusher’s thread on high nutritional density foods, intermittent fasting and a plant based diet? Not a chance pal! 

• Haha 2

I’ve loved the Douglas hire from day 1.  Not only does he love building through the draft but is very strategic when it comes to moving around the draft board as well as acquiring picks as we have seen with the Leo Williams trade, Jamal trade, and more recently the Darnold trade.  He has rebuilt our oline which was terrible for years, added some really good young receivers, and we still have 17 picks over the next two years to continue to build  the entire team 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

This will be awesome right up until halftime of week 1 when we’ve had the ball for barely 3 minutes because our defense is getting gashed right left and centre.....and I say that as someone who’s delighted with our picks so far and I’ve been subjected to way too much unwatchable offense over the last few years like everyone else so looking forward to some excitement, but let’s not all act like we’ll all politely and magnanimously clap our approval when we can’t stop a nose bleed because, well that’s how the league is going 

Nah...

This year and next year is about developing our QB.  We needed this to help him develop.  The defense will be fine.

It was also upgraded more in FA.  The defense is far better than it was last year and there's still more FA.  They're going to sign a quality CB also.

This has been a GREAT draft.

11 hours ago, sciond said:

We don't know if all great picks he is sure as hell doing the right thing

This is right!

Guys hit and miss on picks - but the point is it's clear he knows what he's going - that's what we've been lacking. 

We have our guy.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

You have been super critical of Douglas pretty much his entire run here ? 

That's just not true. 

I was critical of the product he put on the field - but those discussions were more with the fan base telling me we had a good team - We didn't...

He got rid of the few good players we had and signed mostly back-ups to replace them.  That is an inarguable fact.

But I was also very clear that I believed what he did was the right thing to do and part of, what I hoped, was his plan.

That plan was to fully tear this thing down and essentially start the rebuild this year.  I was and am 100% behind that plan.

My only remaining question was his commitment to offense - did he understand today's NFL? (Our recent GM's have not) Was he committed to building around our new young QB or was he going simply repeat what a long line of previous Jet management has done. 

That last remaining question was answered over the past two days.

It's clear to me now that our GM gets it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's just not true. 

I was critical of the product he put on the field - but those discussions were more with the fan base telling me we had a good team - We didn't...

He got rid of the few good players we had and signed mostly back-ups to replace them.  That is an inarguable fact.

But I was also very clear that I believed what he did was the right thing to do and part of, what I hoped, was his plan.

That plan was to fully tear this thing down and essentially start the rebuild this year.  I was and am 100% behind that plan.

My only remaining question was his commitment to offense - did he understand today's NFL? (Our recent GM's have not) Was he committed to building around our new young QB or was he going simply repeat what a long line of previous Jet management has done. 

That last remaining question was answered over the past two days.

It's clear to me now that our GM gets it.

It is true.  Pretty much every move he has made you have been critical of until Thursday.  It’s not a big deal I’m wrong about things too as is everyone from time to time .  I thought we were trading down from 34, we didn’t and I’m happy with Moore.  But I remember many conversations with you over the past two years or so that you have been very critical of his FA signings and draft selections 

14 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

It is true.  Pretty much every move he has made you have been critical of until Thursday.  It’s not a big deal I’m wrong about things too as is everyone from time to time .  I thought we were trading down from 34, we didn’t and I’m happy with Moore.  But I remember many conversations with you over the past two years or so that you have been very critical of his FA signings and draft selections 

You're wrong and it's not even a debatable question.  It's all there.  Posts aren't deleted.

I'm wrong a lot and readily admit it.  You can find that too.

As I said, sure I would argue with fans that told me he was bringing in good players and building a better roster.  He wasn't! 

You're confusing me not agreeing with you as the same thing as not agreeing with JD's plan.  He was signing garbage and fans were telling me they were  good players and the team would be better.  They weren't and it wouldn't...  

He put out a crap product and if you told me it was a good product I would certainly disagree with you. I absolutely stand by that...but I always believed it was part of a long-term tear down - and I always agreed with that vision.  I was very clear about that.

I did like Wirfs over Becton, that I will say - I think it was the safer pick and a risk the Jets couldn't afford...I stand by that choice now.  But otherwise loved the Mims pick and was overall happy with his draft last year and ecstatic about this years.

12 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

QB: Zach Wilson.

LT: Mekhi Becton. 

LT: Vera-Tucker. 

WR: Denzel Mims. 

WR: Elijah Moore. 

Within an offensive driven league this is a breath of fresh air because J.D is not only going offense offense and more offense but he's gone offense early and often. 

• He's completely revamped our WR position because after letting Robby Anderson walk he's since added 1.) Denzel Mims (2nd round). 2.) Corey Davis (FA splash @ WR) and 3.) Elijah Moore (2nd round).

He's a man of his word after losing Anderson he promised us he'd correct his mistakes. That he freaking did. In no specific order Denzel Mims, Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and Jamison Crowder? When 4 wide? Fully loaded @ WR. 

• He's completely revamped our O-Line especially the left side after years of neglect. Just drafted a Franchise LT in Becton and a franchise LG in Vera-Tucker during the first rounds after going roughly 20 years without drafting 1st round O-Lineman dating back to Ferguson and Mangold. And also a developing 4th round Cam Clark who could see some playing time in years #2 @ RG.

As a former O-Lineman himself he's living up to his hype as an offensive line guru of a GM. 

• He's addressed our QB position after the Macc/Darnold disaster.  He moved a struggling Sam for really good draft capital and immediately followed it up with Zach Wilson #2 overall. 

He promised Sam protection. Sam was too bad. So JD gave the protection and WRs to Zach Wilson instead. We as fans can finally watch a QBs true potential without a crapfest offense. 

Don't be surprised to see JD splash next year on offense with 4 picks throughout the first two rounds (x3). 

This is different. This is exciting. 

With two first round picks next year....we are gonna get some special players in here. 

can't say much that hasn't already been said but one thing for sure is the large number of high round offensive draft picks speaks to how depleted the jets have been for a very long time.  except for that weird 2015 season they haven't been able to really put points on the board.  hopefully these guys all (or at least most) work out and they can avoid the injury bug.  it's shaping up to be a pretty exciting season.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're wrong and it's not even a debatable question.  It's all there.  Posts aren't deleted.

I'm wrong a lot and readily admit it.  You can find that too.

As I said, sure I would argue with fans that told me he was bringing in good players and building a better roster.  He wasn't! 

You're confusing me not agreeing with you as the same thing as not agreeing with JD's plan.  He was signing garbage and fans were telling me they were  good players and the team would be better.  They weren't and it wouldn't...  

He put out a crap product and if you told me it was a good product I would certainly disagree with you. I absolutely stand by that...but I always believed it was part of a long-term tear down - and I always agreed with that vision.  I was very clear about that.

I did like Wirfs over Becton, that I will say - I think it was the safer pick and a risk the Jets couldn't afford...I stand by that choice now.  But otherwise loved the Mims pick and was overall happy with his draft last year and ecstatic about this years.

Whatever man ? 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah...

This year and next year is about developing our QB.  We needed this to help him develop.  The defense will be fine.

It was also upgraded more in FA.  The defense is far better than it was last year and there's still more FA.  They're going to sign a quality CB also.

This has been a GREAT draft.

I love this draft, I love what we have done offensively here and also through free agency, every pick has been exciting and I can;t wait to see what Zach, AVT and Elijah do when they get on the field and I’m just as pumped about Corey Davis and Keelan Cole too.....it’s been way too long that we’ve been dreadful and unwatchable offensively, but my point was more that a lot of the same people lauding what we are doing now will be the first ones heading for the life-rafts demanding we fire everyone when it turns out we are not very good on D. when poor old Zach has to throw 40 times a game chasing after 30 points a week it will be fun to watch but it won’t be long before the novelty wears off.

We have no linebackers to play a new system that needs good linebackers, granted guys like Huff and Luvu might adapt to that new system and possibly Zuniga too, I personally am ok with it....but let’s check back in a few months time and see who’s happy and prepared to be patient when we maybe aren’t as stout defensively as we’d like to be

just my opinion 

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

I love this draft, I love what we have done offensively here and also through free agency, every pick has been exciting and I can;t wait to see what Zach, AVT and Elijah do when they get on the field and I’m just as pumped about Corey Davis and Keelan Cole too.....it’s been way too long that we’ve been dreadful and unwatchable offensively, but my point was more that a lot of the same people lauding what we are doing now will be the first ones heading for the life-rafts demanding we fire everyone when it turns out we are not very good on D. when poor old Zach has to throw 40 times a game chasing after 30 points a week it will be fun to watch but it won’t be long before the novelty wears off.

We have no linebackers to play a new system that needs good linebackers, granted guys like Huff and Luvu might adapt to that new system and possibly Zuniga too, I personally am ok with it....but let’s check back in a few months time and see who’s happy and prepared to be patient when we maybe aren’t as stout defensively as we’d like to be

just my opinion 

Ah. Yes. I agree. They’ll be a lot of that. People, that loved this, being PO’d that the D isn’t great.  

I certainly won’t be one of them.  

• Upvote 1