The Official Draft Day 3 Thread

Kind of a funky spot, the guys I like are reaches I think with 2nd in the 4th and I really dont like the remaining RB's, I know this board has given up on Perrine but none of these dudes offer anything that you cant get out of him, IMO.  I'd pass on RB's at this point.

Brevin Jordan is intriguing.  Continuing the development of the offense and building around Wilson.  Him and Herndon give you 2 move TE's that could really create some mismatches when on the field at the same time.  Wilson doesnt target the middle of the field well, giving him guys who can move around and create mismatches might make that an easier development track.

I dont love this spot and I'd probably look to move down but if we're sticking and picking;

Brevin Jordan, Trey Smith, Jabril Cox (be shocked if Jags dont take him), Chris Rumph and call me crazy, I wouldnt hate seeing Bobby Brown Jr. or Daviyon Dixon, I know it would go over well but that could make the rotation on the line, nasty.

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The odds of getting a player at pick 107 or later that will have any type of meaningful career in the league is slim to none! If JD can’t get anyone here who will be a contributor is a home run 

Not really true. Yeah you're not likely to get a pro-bowler but you this is where you can get some very useful depth. 

This part was a disaster last year so Douglas must improve. Perine is the worst pick we've made since Hackenberg, 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Kind of a funky spot, the guys I like are reaches I think with 2nd in the 4th and I really dont like the remaining RB's, I know this board has given up on Perrine but none of these dudes offer anything that you cant get out of him, IMO.  I'd pass on RB's at this point.

Brevin Jordan is intriguing.  Continuing the development of the offense and building around Wilson.  Him and Herndon give you 2 move TE's that could really create some mismatches when on the field at the same time.  Wilson doesnt target the middle of the field well, giving him guys who can move around and create mismatches might make that an easier development track.

I dont love this spot and I'd probably look to move down but if we're sticking and picking;

Brevin Jordan, Trey Smith, Jabril Cox (be shocked if Jags dont take him), Chris Rumph and call me crazy, I wouldnt hate seeing Bobby Brown Jr. or Daviyon Dixon, I know it would go over well but that could make the rotation on the line, nasty.

LOL Perine is absolutely terrible. It was laughable that he was drafted at all. There's literally nothing he's very good at. 

Carter and Gainwell can at least make a man miss and have home run ability. Carter averaged 7.9 per carry ffs. There is no comparison between these guys and Perine, who may not even make the roster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I would take Carter, Gainwell, Hubbard over Perine any day . Perine is the definition of jag imo

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

I would take Carter, Gainwell, Hubbard over Perine any day . Perine is the definition of jag imo

We’ll know soon enough how the coaching staff feels about Perine.  The jets can go rb early in round 4 and tell us.  Also have a feeling the jets will be trading today to target players rather than take 6 guys.  Wouldn’t be surprised if the jets took 4 players today.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Not really true. Yeah you're not likely to get a pro-bowler but you this is where you can get some very useful depth. 

This part was a disaster last year so Douglas must improve. Perine is the worst pick we've made since Hackenberg, 

Hall was perhaps one of the best late draft picks in the entire league last year. Definitely the best late pick we have made here in a decade. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Everyone says our 4 RBs suck. I’m not sure the Jet coaching staff agrees. I think their philosophy is a good OL makes good RBs. But we’ll find out.

I like our RBs.  Our oline sucked so obviously they couldn’t really excel but I think now they will have more room to grow.  Never been a fan of taking a RB high in the draft like many wanted.  Personally I think it’s time to get a corner, maybe another OL project like Cameron Clark last year, and even a TE. I really want to draft Cox first today 

If the Jets are developing a system where they want a heavy hitter then  Ben Mason is the way to go. He brings a different skill set to the RB committee. I didn’t realize Perine was so awful. 

RBs: Coleman/Johnson/Adams/Mason 

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Do you really like Cox?

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Hall was perhaps one of the best late draft picks in the entire league last year. Definitely the best late pick we have made here in a decade. 

Meh, not sure he's any better than Austin, who we got around the same time. He still has a lot to prove but yeah he was the best late pick by a lot. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Go back and look at the history of 4th round picks, 95% of them are out of the league 

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

I like our RBs.  Our oline sucked so obviously they couldn’t really excel but I think now they will have more room to grow.  Never been a fan of taking a RB high in the draft like many wanted.  Personally I think it’s time to get a corner, maybe another OL project like Cameron Clark last year, and even a TE. I really want to draft Cox first today 

I was watching a video about Josh Adams, ND RB - what happened to Josh Adams potential Heismann candidate?

The main conclusion was that he benefited from a good OL and production decreased due to poor OL play. Think about that statement. 

there are not many RBs that can be productive with average poor OL play. OJ Simpson Barry Sanders are 2 that come to mind. L Bell is one who needs a good OL scheme

i like the RBs with a good OL, I guess Perine sucks. Mason would be a good addition 

I think its safe to say that most people's boards have Jabril Cox as one of if not the highest ranked player still on the board. If the Jags don't take him, his sideline to sideline zone coverage ability will allow an easy blend into a mixed Zone cover scheme that  Saleh hails from. That said... there must be some kind of a reason the kid is slipping. Character or some kind of intangible/work ethic issue? I am not sure... just throwing guesses out that have him falling to the fourth. 

As far as running backs are concerned... 4th round is where I believe you can get decent value for  them. The bottom line is that  ALMOST NEVER do teams have a 3 down "carry the load" RB as the only player anymore. Its not smart planning... it wears on the RBs durability/longevity. That said... RB by committee with a few talented guys that come from mid rounds is more advantageous. Carter would be a nice addition to a straight line runner like Perrine, but he can probably be obtained with a pick later than the second pick in the fourth round. Chubba H. from Ok. St.? Maybe I am biased.... As a WVU fan... I watched him in the big XII and I don't see it. I don't think his game is going to translate well. His game reminds me of Steve Slaton from WVU years ago and is a slasher with speed who will not last at the  next level. I could be wrong and I hope for Chubba's sake I am, BUT I do not want the Jets anywhere near him.

Either way... Joe D. will be rebuilding the nuts and bolts of this team and the heart of it in rounds 3-5 this year and next. Its time for the scouting department to pull their weight and add some competition to help improve the  total depth of this team. I am praying the Jags pass on Cox and he becomes a Jet if any of the above possible reasons he slipped do NOT apply. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

LOL Perine is absolutely terrible. It was laughable that he was drafted at all. There's literally nothing he's very good at. 

Carter and Gainwell can at least make a man miss and have home run ability. Carter averaged 7.9 per carry ffs. There is no comparison between these guys and Perine, who may not even make the roster. 

LOL Carter and Gainwell are terrible..   It's laughable anyone would want to draft them at all.  There's literally nothing they're very good at all.  

Perrine can at least make you miss, has home run ability and is a great receiver.  There is no comparison between these guys and neither of them would make the roster because Perrine is better then both, by a wide margin.  Not even close.  

Do you even lift, brah? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

It's the 4th round and they're still on the board, for a reason.   Only difference is, Perrine is better then all of them.

• WTF? 1

25 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Meh, not sure he's any better than Austin, who we got around the same time. He still has a lot to prove but yeah he was the best late pick by a lot. 

Austin is ******* terrible. 

Those drugs, share, please!!!!

• Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, GanggreenMountaineer said:

I think its safe to say that most people's boards have Jabril Cox as one of if not the highest ranked player still on the board. If the Jags don't take him, his sideline to sideline zone coverage ability will allow an easy blend into a mixed Zone cover scheme that  Saleh hails from. That said... there must be some kind of a reason the kid is slipping. Character or some kind of intangible/work ethic issue? I am not sure... just throwing guesses out that have him falling to the fourth. 

As far as running backs are concerned... 4th round is where I believe you can get decent value for  them. The bottom line is that  ALMOST NEVER do teams have a 3 down "carry the load" RB as the only player anymore. Its not smart planning... it wears on the RBs durability/longevity. That said... RB by committee with a few talented guys that come from mid rounds is more advantageous. Carter would be a nice addition to a straight line runner like Perrine, but he can probably be obtained with a pick later than the second pick in the fourth round. Chubba H. from Ok. St.? Maybe I am biased.... As a WVU fan... I watched him in the big XII and I don't see it. I don't think his game is going to translate well. His game reminds me of Steve Slaton from WVU years ago and is a slasher with speed who will not last at the  next level. I could be wrong and I hope for Chubba's sake I am, BUT I do not want the Jets anywhere near him.

Either way... Joe D. will be rebuilding the nuts and bolts of this team and the heart of it in rounds 3-5 this year and next. Its time for the scouting department to pull their weight and add some competition to help improve the  total depth of this team. I am praying the Jags pass on Cox and he becomes a Jet if any of the above possible reasons he slipped do NOT apply. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS 

I could not finad any mention of character issues.  None of us have any way of knowing how he did in interviews.  But he is an older prospect at 23 and has had a bit of a medical history.  Has not missed games, but did have an ACL in  high school and an off-season shoulder surgery at ND State. From what I could find, have not seen any hint of a character issue or other off field concerns.

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Carter is the second best back in the draft class IMO. I know there’s some more depth there but I’m still shocked he’s there. He would definitely be an instant impact guy. I know we need defensive help but it’s tempting...

Dude, I was just coming on to talk about him. He honestly reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. We cannot pass up on him. We have a glaring RB need that is being neglected. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

We really need to give up the thought of Herndon doing ANYTHING. He’s literally useless. He’s not a good player and he does not create mismatches anywhere. He’s simply not good. 

• Upvote 1

Last year every day three pick the Jets made was a team captain. Every one. It’s pretty clear that’s where he’s trying to build the culture of the team. I doubt each one today will be a captain but it’s a helpful lens to look through the day and see what he might be doing. The other thing was those guys were about half drafted to play non-premium roles and half to start eventually.

I have a full list of team captains on my computer but off of the top of my head here are a few that jump out:

RB - They could certainly add someone here to shake up that room. This isn’t a position with a lot of captains and is one I could see them deviating from that “rule”.  One is Jarrett Patterson out of Buffalo, little dude who had some monster games last year. The other I remember is my guy, Kene Nwangwu out of Iowa State. Speedy freak athlete who plays special teams and was stuck behind Davis Montgomery and Bryce Hall. Another is Deon Jackson from Duke - good athlete too.

FB - big part of the offense in other iterations though I wonder how much they plan to use it after the Moore pick. I still think it’s likely to get addressed. Ben Mason was a captain at Michigan, is the best fullback in the draft, and plays special teams. This feels like a layup and I wonder if they do it annoyingly early just to secure him.

WR - Not sure they double dip here but Houston’s Marquez Stevenson and Arizona State’s Frank Darby are the names I remember. Again not a big captain position.

TE - Freiermuth was a captain early but again not many here. This is a legitimate need. I kind of hope they break the rule or he just wasn’t listed as one and grab Zach Davidson. Captains I recall are Duke’s Noah Gray who is fast and athletic but not much of a blocker so I question the fit. The other is Kansas State’s Briley Moore who was also athletic and I don’t think much of a blocker but with a build to project there more.

OT - the only ones I remember are Larnel Coleman from UMass who’s a perfect developmental prospect and would be an awesome fit late and Kayode Awosika from Buffalo who some folks love but maybe projects more to guard. Neither would surprise me though my guess is they only draft one, maybe two more OL and I think there’s more roster room at tackle than guard. And I kind of think if they draft just one more OL it’s more likely to be...

C - where basically everyone is a team captain (four of the centers drafted yesterday were) and the later guys are zone fits. Drew Dalman out of Stanford is clearly not a dummy and also tested out as an outstanding athlete and is possibly the best outside zone center in the draft. I think he’s firmly in play with 107 but also wonder if Douglas may roll the dice and wait because he’s got a chance to drop as a very specific fit at a very specific position and there are a couple of other options if he misses on Dalman. Do think that Dalman would be a home run after 107 but a great pick at 107 too. Jimmy Morrissey out of Pitt is an undersized zone fit who they could grab later - feels like a Douglas guy, started as a walk on I believe and worked his way up. Drake Jackson out of Kentucky is another one who’s undersized and a zone fit and I believe a captain. Feel like they all were, I’m probably missing guys. I do think they came into this draft with the intention of grabbing a center because they knew they could grab one somewhere - I think McGovern is the only roster lock who plays center, last year they had Andrews as a backup pre-draft. Lots of day two guys went who could’ve been fits and there are fits all over day three as well. Could always sign a guy later if not and I do wonder about the position versatility of these guys which Douglas always emphasizes whereas Meinerz or Humphrey could’ve played guard, but definitely a position to watch out for. Fits the drafting to fit a pipeline thing too.

EDGE - Believe there are a few here.
Penn State’s Shaka Toney is an interesting one - is he a LEO fit? Great athlete and more productive than Oweh. Duke’s Chris Rumph is another similar mold guy and a captain. Also Notre Dame’s Adetodunbo Ogundeji. I think Pitt’s Rashad Weaver too. And I think others I’m missing. Could see them popping a guy here. Also wouldn’t be mad if they broke the captain rule and took Elerson Smith. 

DT - Not one I focused on a lot. There’s a big athletic dude coming out of Arkansas named Jonathan Marshall. I’m not sure they have roster room for a DT and I’d be surprised if they went that route.

LB - several captains here. And a position I expect them to address heavily because there’s basically no depth. Jabril Cox is maybe the best coverage LB in the draft and was a captain before he was at LSU. Not sure he makes it to 107 but if he does and they take him I think he’s a day one starter. Buddy Johnson out of Texas A&M and Nick Niemann from Iowa are two athletic guys who got labeled as over aggressive and will be available later. Paddy Fisher from Northwestern is an interesting one with great zone instincts but poor timed speed and bigger than Douglas likes. Lots of guys I’m forgetting I’m sure. Guy out of Houston - maybe Grant Stuard is his name, and a converted safety from TCU - Garret Wallow - also both aggressive and athletic. At least one of the remaining Ohio State guys, I think the Purdue guy, Mississippi State guy, Oklahoma State guy - there are a bunch who I thought were less likely to draft based on scouting reports but honestly wtf do I know. I wouldn’t be surprised if they draft two. These guys can project to start after this year and impact on special teams.

CB - not many I remember here but I could see this being an exception. If not, Zech McPhearson of Texas Tech is the only name I remember.

S - the captains I remember are Georgia’s Richard Lecounte who ran really poorly and I think and an off field accident that cost him time (motorcycle?) and Pitt’s Demar Hamlin. I do think this is a draftable position, they’ve got a roster spot and only one guy signed next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Carter is the second best back in the draft class IMO. I know there’s some more depth there but I’m still shocked he’s there. He would definitely be an instant impact guy. I know we need defensive help but it’s tempting...

5'8, no burst, no break away speed, cant break tackles, cant extend his arm and has a hard time finding reading lanes - he's garbage.  Straight trash.  If Williams wasnt out there breaking skulls, Carter doesnt even gain 3 ypc.  Total trash, bust waiting to happen but sure, take him!!!!

4th: LB Jabril Cox - LSU

4th: OC Drew Dalman - Stanford 

5th: RB Khalil Herbert - Virginia Tech

5th: FB Ben Mason - Michigan 

6th: TE Zach Davidson - Central Missouri

6th: PK Jose Borregales - Miami

The we can all go home and start working on that statue of Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Are you on drugs?  Your takes are so asinine it's amazing.  Please share.

A slow running back who can't break a tackle or make a guy miss. A guy who can't pass block and is nothing special out of the backfield.

Atrocious. You can get players twice as good as Perine on the FA scrap heap any time. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

We really need to give up the thought of Herndon doing ANYTHING. He’s literally useless. He’s not a good player and he does not create mismatches anywhere. He’s simply not good. 

Meh, disagree, kids got talent.   2019 he was suspended, then IR, no offseason in 2020, never really got a rhythm going in Gase's offense that didnt really leverage the TE and his QB's were terrible.   For the most part, I'm giving anyone on offense a pass after what was going on here for the last 2 years.  Herndon 100% flashed as a rookie.

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

A slow running back who can't break a tackle or make a guy miss. A guy who can't pass block and is nothing special out of the backfield.

Atrocious. You can get players twice as good as Perine on the FA scrap heap any time. 

WORST PICK SINCE HACKEIRISHJETBERG