The Official Draft Day 3 Thread

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

PROSPECT SUMMARY

Florida State safety Hamsah Nasirildeen’s blend of size, physicality, athleticism, and downhill trigger jump off the screen when watching the Seminoles defense. A versatile defender, Nasilideen forecasts best as a positionless subpackage defender in the NFL. He can serve the role of tight end neutralizer, play in an overhang role, play in man coverage against running backs, and play in the box and operate from deeper alignments. Outside of his rare physical gifts, Nasirildeen takes terrific angles, is versatile, and his presence can add new layers to the defense of the team that drafts him. Nasirildeen tore his ACL late in the 2019 season in a non-contact situation and the recovery sidelined him for all but two games in 2020. When it comes to areas that he can still improve, ball skills, serving as a one-high safety, blitzing, and proving his health are the top priorities. Nasirildeen has a high ceiling at the next level should he land with a team that is willing to deploy him creatively to take advantage of his immense physical gifts. 

Ideal Role: Positionless subpackage defender. 

Scheme Fit: His versatility enables him to play in any scheme.

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Joe Marino 

Games watched: Boise State (2019), Florida (2019), Syracuse (2019), Clemson (2019), Miami (2019) 

Best Game Studied: Boise State (2019) 

Worst Game Studied: Florida (2019) 

Football IQ: Nasirildeen is a smart football player that does well to key, diagnose, and trigger. He takes correctly calculated angles in pursuit and generally plays under control. There can be some tardy responses in coverage when it comes to route anticipation, particularly when playing in deeper alignments. He can also be a tick late locating the football in the air, especially with his back to the line of scrimmage. 

Tackling: Nasirildeen is a consistent tackler that doesn’t often fall victim to whiffs. His blend of size, length, athleticism, and body control leads to consistent finishes. His hitting power and contact balance as a tackler are outstanding.  

Versatility: Nasirildeen has experience functioning as a single-high safety, slot safety, and down in the box. He’s received some chances to blitz but hasn’t been overly effective given his lack of a plan to beat blocks. While there are a number of roles he can fill at the next level, he has the appeal of a positionless defender. 

Range: Nasirildeen is an exceptional athlete that can cover ground in a hurry. He maximizes his range by taking precise angles and playing under control. He frequently lines up on the hash and makes plays outside the numbers to the opposite side of the field. He’s a natural athlete that is comfortable in space. 

Ball Skills: Nasirildeen can be tardy locating the football in the air and making plays on it, especially with his back to the quarterback. His natural athletic profile enables him to make plays on the ball despite not necessarily having the best ball skills. His best moments are when he can drive forward on the football. 

Run Defending: Nasirildeen reacts promptly to the run and triggers quickly. He takes good angles coming downhill and is always enthusiastic when it comes to tackling. He does well to weave and navigate through traffic in pursuit. 

Functional Athleticism: Nasirildeen is extremely gifted when it comes to athleticism. He’s an explosive and fluid mover in all directions. He covers ground in a hurry and has terrific play speed and range. 

Competitive Toughness: Nasirildeen is a physical tackler that arrives with intent. He looks to separate the football from the ball carrier. He is urgent in pursuit and is always around the football. He competes when taking on blocks and is never passive. 

Flexibility: Nasirildeen is explosive and fluid with easy mobility in all directions. He easily changes directions and has smooth transitions. He’s rapid when planting and driving downhill. 

Special Teams Ability: Nasirildeen was a four-phase special teamer in 2017 and 2018, but that dipped a bit in 2019 (although he has experience). His size, physicality, athletic ability, and urgency translates well to special teams duties. His ability to play under control, hold his own in space, and consistently tackle are also ideal traits for special teams contributions. 

Prospect Comparison: Jeremy Chinn (2020 NFL Draft, Carolina Panthers) 

SCOUT GRADES

TDN Consensus: 76.63/100

Joe Marino: 80.00/100

Kyle Crabbs: 73.50/100

Jordan Reid: 78.00/100

Drae Harris: 75.00/100

Reading more on him I actually like it a lot more, maybe more the safeties we took before him. High ceiling guy and with the versatility that Salah is clearly prioritising. 

Pretty obvious we're moving all of these guys around. But damn that PTSD is strong.

• Haha 4

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Literally, the just did a 3-5 minute spotlight on him.

On to another QB next. It's all they're doing is talking about QBs. It was just his turn. 

To be fair this is an incredibly boring 3rd day with no big names and no real stories either.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:
  1. jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Hamsah Nasirildeen, S, Florida State - A Grade
    How many defensive backs are the Jets going to draft on Day 3? I don't blame them for making this pick though. Hamsah Nasirildeen is someone who was a constant presence in the third round of my mock draft, but that change late when we learned that one team flunked his medical. The sixth round is a great time to take a chance on him, however.

I can't see anyone hating this pick. Great pick this late. 

• Upvote 1

In the right role, Nasirildeen can be an impact defender. And given the relative scarcity of talent in the safety class, teams could bet on Nasirildeen if his medicals check out. Nasirildeen could go anywhere from Round 2 to early Day 3. Even if his speed doesn’t wow people, certain teams will like his versatility and instincts. As long as they like his explosiveness on tape, he’ll have security on the draft board.

As mentioned earlier, Nasirildeen will have to go to a team that can use his talents correctly. Nasirildeen shouldn’t line up at safety every snap — not when he has the aptitude to play deep, at linebacker, or in the slot as a big nickel.

• Upvote 4

Just now, T0mShane said:

JetsandJolloff

Irrelevant you hateful bigot.

He said what I wanted to say better than I could. Read the content, not the twitter handle. 

Then get your red hat, eat a fat bologna, and kick rocks.

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Harbough may have warned harbough the jets were interested.

I can’t believe I’m saying this about 6th round draft picks....but it pisses me off we just missed on Ben Mason.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This last guy is the only S we have picked who will play safety.

Sherwood will be LB and Carter is a slot Corner.

He may play LB too. I could see the league going with lighter LBs that can play coverage and still wrap and hit. This could be Maye's last year also.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

No, they don't. THEY don't understand drafting for the same position group 4 times in a row.

Well then THEY should know that Selah is obviously looking for a certain versatility in DB's or converting them to LBers.

We might be getting a glimpse into how coach envisions his defense.  All these S/LB hybrids allow them to play fast and not have to substitute packages.  Of course the downside is if some team decides to pound it right at them in two tight end sets.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, KRL said:

You wonder if Saleh is going to bulk up Nasirildeen and use him as a LB
like Sherwood.  When you're 6-3 its not a big deal to put on 5-10 pounds:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/hamsah-nasirildeen/32004e41-5363-5310-e2a7-39ad93df1412

I'm 6-0 and I can light the bbq right now and put on 5-10 pounds by the time Jeopardy comes on.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3