Jump to content

The Official Draft Day 3 Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

Joking aside – I like that JD leans into strengths of drafts

 

last year stud LT’s so he takes the third one in Becton who in another year could be the top ranked guy.  Did the same with Mims in a strong receiver class

this year Zach was consensus 2nd qb among GM’s, any other year without Trevor Lawrence he probably goes first overall. Again it’s a strong WR class and he gets a first round grade guy in Moore who goes first round most years

obviously he thinks this is a deep DB draft in all these fliers- trying to find the next Richard Sherman. I wish we’d taken that FB but if any of these guys contributes on defense it’s a bonus- worst case special teams is getting vastly improved

He is doing it this year for sure, last year not so much.  A big strength of last year was WR and he avoided it like the plague after the mims pick

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t want to sound harsh but if you don’t love this draft then you don’t deserve a penis.

Such a strange feeling when the Jets keep picking the players I want them to

The rest of the league is going to feel really stupid when they realize there aren't any DBs left for them to have!

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, the reactions here

this late, you go for players that might be able to stick and play the game

 

Not all of them are making the roster necessarily either and certainly not after our treasure trove of picks next year. This is where Saleh’s expertise in teaching up guys is going to be important. Get raw pieces of clay to coach up. 

i’m a little sour on them not grabbing Zach Davidson or Ben Mason though in lieu of Sherwood’s 4.7 40. But i’ll give JD benefit of the doubt for now on them. 

What’s Interesting is what Saleh and JD value in their secondary and linebackers and clearly it’s valuing these hybrid safety/linebackers. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t have a major issue with all of this but missing out on Mason sucks.

All indications are that we’re going to be running the exact same Shanny WCO seen in San Fran.

A quality FB is pretty essential.

Mason could’ve potentially stepped in Day 1, played 30% of the offensive snaps and helped open up running lanes for Carter and Co.

I don’t know, maybe they think Wesco can fill the role.

That was the one that kind of lost me. The only acceptable case is if they did not really like Mason that much - not saying that’s right or wrong - because for that role if you like a dude the fifth round should be fine. Really they didn’t try to get cute. If they take another FB it’ll be more annoying.

I was pretty convinced they were going to emphasize FB and not spend as much capital on WR. I do wonder if they run more 11 personnel than the 49ers and Packers between the Moore pick and not taking Mason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pumped to know we finally match up well with the mighty Arizona Cardinals.

You'd give your left testicle to trade Wilson for Murray.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Not all of them are making the roster necessarily either and certainly not after our treasure trove of picks next year. This is where Saleh’s expertise in teaching up guys is going to be important. Get raw pieces of clay to coach up. 

i’m a little sour on them not grabbing Zach Davidson or Ben Mason though in lieu of Sherwood’s 4.7 40. But i’ll give JD benefit of the doubt for now on them. 

What’s Interesting is what Saleh and JD value in their secondary and linebackers and clearly it’s valuing these hybrid safety/linebackers. 

Speed at corner and versatility at lb and safety.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, adobolo2 said:

Only two picks left, I want hillard and Terry but don't think they are in Joes plans.

Are they very slow safeties

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Analysis: Nasirildeen was a consistent defender for Florida State when healthy, but he comes with limitations at the next level. He’s a traditional run-defending strong safety who may be able to add 10 pounds to his frame and move to linebacker.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/hamsah-nasirildeen-nfl-draft-player-profile-florida-state-safety/

Good article thanks

looks like we’ll have a lot of guys to try to cover tight ends - a big need for the Jets before the draft 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

YES!!!!!!  We have our WILL!

Hamsah Nasirildeen is a strong safety who is 6' 3" 215 lbs and carries a 3d-round grade.  This versatile player can line up deep or in the box and is a candidate to be our starting WILL.  Ourlads said he is a sound "fundamental tackler" and is a "solid zone defender".   He has the ideal prototype with can't teach skills like his 34.5" arms and 10" hands.   He is a good candidate to wear the Green since he is a great fit and can fill several roles.  This is true whether we are in the 4-3-4 or the 4-2-5 or 4-1-6.    He is experienced on the coverage units.  I would be surprised if the Jets took him in the 3d since we have other pressing needs, but starting with pick 108 in the fourth watch for his name.  To my knowledge, he has not been linked to the Jets in pre-draft interviews.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdels62 said:

Also we gotta assume internal evaluation by JD and the new staff had positive arrows on Herndon and even Wesco.

Or that in this draft there was no clear way to upgrade the position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, the defensive scheme may present opportunities that some schemes don't as far as picking up some talent late. A lot of teams shy away from tweeners because they don't see a role for them. If you have a scheme that makes the most of utilizing tweeners, you can pick up guys who drop further than their talent suggests they would.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The one big thing that double or even triple dipping at one position late in the draft, it really increases the chances of one of those players turning into something more than a special teams guy.  (Example Kerry Rhodes andre maddox, one guy turned into a really good player one did not)

Great Point. 

Let me just add we are sticking with with high character guys that are good athletes. I mention this because some of these guys that slipped due to character are likely not even on our board. Sure - Some teams could pull it off. But this team needs a full makeover and it makes a ton of sense. 

Its like team captains or leaders every single pick. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the approach coach is bringing here.  

The current trend in the league is offense and spread you out.  Drafting safeties with the thought of bulking them up a bit to play linebacker is a good way to get guys that are fast and might be a bit more talented in coverage.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrcoops said:

Two picks left.

I'm going Michael Menet, OC, Penn State and - for old time's sake - Simi Fehoko, WR, Stanford.

Simi was picked i think.  

They have to go OL again right?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

The thing is, the defensive scheme may present opportunities that some schemes don't as far as picking up some talent late. A lot of teams shy away from tweeners because they don't see a role for them. If you have a scheme that makes the most of utilizing tweeners, you can pick up guys who drop further than their talent suggests they would.

Saleh is making these S/LB hybrid picks.  What does JD know about the secondary. JD knows OL and BBQ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

Well 2 picks left and we needed 3 to make it a complete day of 7 DB's selected and set a league  record.

get this video off your sig. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I like the approach coach is bringing here.  

The current trend in the league is offense and spread you out.  Drafting safeties with the thought of bulking them up a bit to play linebacker is a good way to get guys that are fast and might be a bit more talented in coverage.  

It's almost like the modern NFL is a passing league or something, and coverage skills are now as important in a LB as run-stopping skills.

Naaaaaa, that couldn't be it.......

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

he was rated #62 prospect overall by CBS Sports and the 2nd highest rated player available heading into today by them:

No. 62: Hamsah Nasirildeen, S, Florida State

Nasirildeen is a big, long safety that is capable of playing weakside linebacker and making plays in the box.

I wanted him at the top of the 4th.  Solid prospect.  34.5" arms and 10" hands.  Those are good numbers for a tackle.  He projects to 4-3 WILL along with the box when we are in one high alignment.  An outstanding pick! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Simi was picked i think.  

They have to go OL again right?

Must have missed that, thanks.  Who got Simi?  I really like him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I like the approach coach is bringing here.  

The current trend in the league is offense and spread you out.  Drafting safeties with the thought of bulking them up a bit to play linebacker is a good way to get guys that are fast and might be a bit more talented in coverage.  

Someone's figured it out.  Duh a blind man could figure that out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

YES!!!!!!  We have our WILL!

Hamsah Nasirildeen is a strong safety who is 6' 3" 215 lbs and carries a 3d-round grade.  This versatile player can line up deep or in the box and is a candidate to be our starting WILL.  Ourlads said he is a sound "fundamental tackler" and is a "solid zone defender".   He has the ideal prototype with can't teach skills like his 34.5" arms and 10" hands.   He is a good candidate to wear the Green since he is a great fit and can fill several roles.  This is true whether we are in the 4-3-4 or the 4-2-5 or 4-1-6.    He is experienced on the coverage units.  I would be surprised if the Jets took him in the 3d since we have other pressing needs, but starting with pick 108 in the fourth watch for his name.  To my knowledge, he has not been linked to the Jets in pre-draft interviews.

I’m pretty pumped about the pick too. This is exactly the kind of athletic hybrid Saleh needs. And yeah he’s drafted a few because they’re needed. Specials fit, solid fundamentals. Love it. Thought he was gone already tbh.  For those bit**ing about no pick yesterday, this kid has a day 2 grade. There’s your 3rd rd guy 😂

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...