Day 3 Draft Roundup

Almost all high character super athletes - now it’s up to the coaches to develop them. May take a few seasons.

But our first four picks are going to be HUGE contributors from Day 1. 

2021 will be a learning experience for all but with a lot of picks in next years loaded draft combined with cap flexibility this team is being set up for the next decade to contend. 

i expect Crowder and Lewis to be offered pay decreases or be cut/traded freeing up even more space. One more year until CJ can be cut for less cap charge. Next season Quincy, Tru and Sam dead money goes away freeing up another $15 mill.

Zach on a four year rookie contract.

2023 and 2024 we’ll have our runs if Zach Wilson is for real.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

1 OL ????????

The developmental offensive lineman were off the board in the second and third.  When we traded up for AVT, we surrendered any opportunity to build for the future beyond AVT.  Those two 3d round picks would have yielded BOTH Quinn Meinerz (3d - Broncos) AND Kendrick Green (3d Steelers).

I found it painful to watch but I do like Elijah Moore and think him worthy of #34.  As for AVT, he is an expensive long-term answer at guard.  Would I trade AVT for Harris/Etienne AND  Meinerz AND Green?  Yes, I would.  But that is not fair.  Hindsight is always 20/20 and Douglas went for the bird in the hand and I cannot blame him.  Nor did he get ripped off.  Just compare the price we paid to move from #23 to #14 to the price the Bears paid to move from #20 to #11 (Next year's #1 plus this year's 4th and 5th = whoa).  Nor is it clear that those guards will prove to be starters.  Over time we will be better able to judge.  

But as I looked over the board on day three, the only offensive lineman I wanted was Center Drew Dalman and some late round centers.  All of whom - I believe - are available as free agents (Menet, Hill and Morressey).  So there is still some hope. 

• Upvote 1

I think JD wanted an elite LG like Thuney in AVT.  He had to pay up for that.  

Teven Jenkins was going to play RG this year and RT next year.   Same thing with Darrisaw.   There was not really anyone else who could step in and cover excellently LG.  

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Fourth Round:

Michael Carter (RB) is 5' 7" 200 lbs and runs a 4.5 40.  He carried a 3d round grade.  This squat powerful back has great change of direction skill and a well-developed lower body which gives him power that belies his small stature.  Was first team ACC last season and set the school record (North Carolina) in Yards Per Carry (8.0 per).  His change of direction which allows him to cut at a high rate of speed, which when coupled with his excellent vision makes him a difficult target in the running game.  He is also a solid pass catcher with 25 receptions last season and knows how to set up defenders in the passing game.  While he is undersized as a blocker and lacks true top end speed, he is the ideal third-down back as he can line up in the slot or backfield and threaten defenses both short and deep.  His NFL comparison is Maurice Jones-Drew.  He will fit into the backfield as the scat-back and can help us this season and beyond.    He was good value in the 4th round.

Fifth Round:

Strong Safety Jamiem Sherwood is 6' 2" 220 and carries a 4th round grade. While he was listed with the strong safeties, he is really a hybrid safety/linebacker.  He has rare physical traits with 34" arms and 10" hands and projects to WILL in the Saleh attacking scheme.  He is experienced in the box but also played well in pass defense.  Ourlads said he was "at his best in the box or as a tight quarters safety".  "Has linebacker like reactions getting downhill and uses his long arms to separate from blocks working to the ball."  "Tough to block in space" and has "solid tackling skill".  "His future may be as a hybrid/safety or situational linebacker to take advantage of what he excels at."   He is good at covering tight ends as he is rarely outmatched by strength or size.  Good special teams player.

I preferred other players since he only runs a 4.76 40.  He fits the Saleh mold of a big defensive back who can play a hybrid role as a linebacker in certain formations.  He is a tough box safety in short yardage situations.  I expect him to battle Nasirildeen (see infra) for the job as the starting WILL in our new 4-3 defense.

Corner Micheal Carter is 5' 11" 180 and runs a 4.36 40.  He is a candidate for the job as the Nickel Cornerback and will battle Javelin Guidry for the starting job there.  Like Guidry he has great speed and is a good tackler.  He was a surprise pick in the 5th round as he did not carry a draftable grade with Ourlads who gave him a mention as an undrafted free agent candidate.  While some on the board mention him as a candidate for gunner, I wonder about that since Justin Hardee has that job for the next three years.  

Corner Jason Pinnock is 6" 200 lbs and runs a 4.5 40.  Another surprise pick as Ourlads did not give him a draftable grade and gave him a mention as an undrafted free agent candidate.  A top athlete, his RAS score is worthy of note:

image.jpeg.04fb8a11dcca4d114cbfe60e5e13a56f.jpeg

He will battle Lamar Jackson for the role as third boundary corner on the Jets.

Hamsah Nasirildeen is a strong safety who is 6' 3" 215 lbs and carries a 3d-round grade.  This versatile player can line up deep or in the box and is a candidate to be our starting WILL.  Ourlads said he is a sound "fundamental tackler" and is a "solid zone defender".   He has the ideal prototype with can't teach skills like his 34.5" arms and 10" hands.   He is a good candidate to wear the Green since he is a great fit and can fill several roles.  This is true whether we are in the 4-3-4 or the 4-2-5 or 4-1-6.    He is experienced on the coverage units.  I would be surprised if the Jets took him in the 3d since we have other pressing needs, but starting with pick 108 in the fourth watch for his name.  To my knowledge, he has not been linked to the Jets in pre-draft interviews.  I think the Jets got a steal here.

Sixth Round:

Corner Brandin Echols is 5' 10" 185 and runs a 4.45 40.  He carries a 5th round grade.  He played in a heavy zone scheme at Kentucky and has experience in quarters, cover two and cover three.  He is a disruptive press corner with outstanding lateral movement in zone coverage.  Ourlads said "he has safety characteristics" and is "solid in run support".  He has skills as a returner.  

While he is small for a Saleh corner, he is a good tackler and has a lot of experience in zone schemes. Like Pinnock, he has an excellent RAS score.

image.jpeg.f7f2a4c607887727272e0133460637e5.jpeg

Defensive Tackle Jonathan Marshall is 6'3" 310 lbs and carries a 5th round grade.  Led the SEC among interior lineman with 28 QB pressures, 19 hurries and nine QB hits.  He has "explosive first step quickness" and can play either one-gap or two-gap.  The best thing he does is penetrate gaps into the backfield.  Ourlads said "he will fit into an upfront rotation early in his career".  He is a good addition for the defensive line rotation and solid value at this stage in the draft.  There is good reason to think he was a steal.  Like Pinnock and Echols, he has an excellent RAS score.  In point of fact, it is an outrageous score:

image.jpeg.8544f2cac779987a6317258a065329ce.jpeg

I would not be surprised to see us swap Fatukasi and/or Franklin-Myers for other personnel or draft picks. 

Clayton. Your posts have become the go to for me on this board for  college scouting/drafting. Much thanks.

• Upvote 2

On 5/1/2021 at 6:50 PM, David Harris said:

Almost all high character super athletes - now it’s up to the coaches to develop them. May take a few seasons.

But our first four picks are going to be HUGE contributors from Day 1. 

2021 will be a learning experience for all but with a lot of picks in next years loaded draft combined with cap flexibility this team is being set up for the next decade to contend. 

i expect Crowder and Lewis to be offered pay decreases or be cut/traded freeing up even more space. One more year until CJ can be cut for less cap charge. Next season Quincy, Tru and Sam dead money goes away freeing up another $15 mill.

Zach on a four year rookie contract.

2023 and 2024 we’ll have our runs if Zach Wilson is for real.

I think the same.  As for CJ, his future with the Jets will depend on how well he integrates with the Saleh system this season.  I look forward to a competitive team starting in 2022. 

On 5/1/2021 at 7:37 PM, varjet said:

I think JD wanted an elite LG like Thuney in AVT.  He had to pay up for that.  

Teven Jenkins was going to play RG this year and RT next year.   Same thing with Darrisaw.   There was not really anyone else who could step in and cover excellently LG.  

Yes.  AVT is an expensive piece of the puzzle.  He made the choice to pay up and get the top guy on his board.  Cannot argue with that. 

On 5/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, Alworth said:

Clayton. Your posts have become the go to for me on this board for  college scouting/drafting. Much thanks.

You're welcome.  It is fun to see what we did this season.  I am looking forward to the new coach and his new system.  We appear to be on the cusp of the latest thing with the smaller and faster linebackers who are more interchangeable with strong safeties.  

On 5/1/2021 at 8:56 PM, The Crusher said:

2 first rounders in two years. It’s basically raining them compared to the last decade. 

Some change eh?  Douglas - as a former offensive lineman - must have been appalled at last season's play.  I am sure he did not want to go down as GM due to a poor offensive line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1