Draft Grades Given

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

For me there is only one fail in this draft for the Jets and that is, only one olineman taken.  The guy we got has pro bowl potential and we are better off now than before the draft no doubt but we took like 5 secondary/small LB players in a row essentially.

This oline crop reminds me of last years WR crop in which douglas should have double dipped but did not and we did not double dip at oline this year.  This is his one mistake.

I mean we have drafted two First round oline players and Cameron Clark the last two years which is very good.  I’m sure next year we may grab another with a high pick.  I like that we added more weapons and concentrated on the secondary in the second half if the draft 

• Upvote 3

I know day 3 is ultimately swings that won’t hit, but I wasn’t as excited about a lot of these picks. 

I watched come Carter highlights and I’m excited to see how he fits in the offensive system, but I felt a lot of the players we took we are changing their positions. 

maybe I’m just conditioned to us sucking for so long, but not sure if this was the time to think outside the box or not. 

but GOT DAMN, This first 4 picks of this draft has me so excited to look forward to this offense. 

A-

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I mean we have drafted two First round oline players and Cameron Clark the last two years which is very good.  I’m sure next year we may grab another with a high pick.  I like that we added more weapons and concentrated on the secondary in the second half if the draft 

The second Clark shows anything at all will be the 1st time he has shown anything.  The oline group is the biggest position group with 5 starters.  Still needs a lot more work.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

For me there is only one fail in this draft for the Jets and that is, only one olineman taken.  The guy we got has pro bowl potential and we are better off now than before the draft no doubt but we took like 5 secondary/small LB players in a row essentially.

This oline crop reminds me of last years WR crop in which douglas should have double dipped but did not and we did not double dip at oline this year.  This is his one mistake.

I agree but I think it’s because of the many “stop-gaps” that are on the roster and limited space. Hopefully some young guys step up and we can get rid of Lewis, Van Rotten, McGovern and Fant. 

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree 100%. But who was available from the 4th round on that we missed out on? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Solid A

First 4 picks look like impact players on O.   Filled out the one glaring need that had to be filled, G.  Got the best G in the draft.  May actually have a good O this year.

Day 3, the entire D got faster.  LB'ers in particular.  This is a much better team today then it was Wednesday. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

B.

I would have used some of the 2022 draft capital to grab another oline starter early in the 2nd round.

Sucks paying a premium, but worth it to give the young QB the best environment possible year 1.

So here's a random though on your last point.

2022 draft capital may have a better use for teams that need to clear more cap and can only do it by trading, not cutting players.

Example:  Saints are right at the cap, but once they sign a full roster, will be at least $2M over.  And they have restructured everything with a pulse.  I believe if they were to release either of their expiring rookies, Ramzczyk or Lattimore, it would still hit their cap since the money is guaranteed.  However, if they trade them, they are free of that cap.  $11M for Ramzczyk and $10M for Lattimore.  So it's possible they find themselves needing to trade a player to clear the cap.  In that case, the Jets have both the available cap and trade assets to make that deal happen.

Other teams in a similar situation:

Falcons - $6M over the effective cap.  Hayden Hurst?  Saves them $600k if they cut and $2M if they trade.

Bears - $3.4M over the effective cap.  We need a vet QB.  They need to move one. Nick Foles?  They might have to give us a pick for that one, but it's one way they can solve two problems at once.

Eagles - $4M over the effective cap.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Good in theory but having two rookies starting without a solid pro to anchor them may not be a good thing, Mangold and Brick went from good to great when they put Big Red between them. Plus, if thwy draft another O lineman high you will have two come up for contracts at same time. Spread them out, that Online was never a 1 year project. Great start though. 

Could have been Jenkins.  Who likely would have been on the right side at T or G.  

So at least not directly next to the other rookie.

Still happy with the draft results.  Just could have been better with that move imo.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Good in theory but having two rookies starting without a solid pro to anchor them may not be a good thing, Mangold and Brick went from good to great when they put Big Red between them. Plus, if thwy draft another O lineman high you will have two come up for contracts at same time. Spread them out, that Online was never a 1 year project. Great start though. 

This.

Plus, I think the guys we signed last year in FA are "supposed" to be more ideal/athletic fits for a zone blocking scheme. 

Plus, plus... UDFA.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

2022 draft capital may have a better use for teams that need to clear more cap and can only do it by trading, not cutting players.

Example:  Saints are right at the cap, but once they sign a full roster, will be at least $2M over.  And they have restructured everything with a pulse.  I believe if they were to release either of their expiring rookies, Ramzczyk or Lattimore, it would still hit their cap since the money is guaranteed.  However, if they trade them, they are free of that cap.  $11M for Ramzczyk and $10M for Lattimore.  So it's possible they find themselves needing to trade a player to clear the cap.  In that case, the Jets have both the available cap and trade assets to make that deal happen.

Falcons - $6M over the effective cap.  Hayden Hurst?  Saves them $600k if they cut and $2M if they trade.

Bears - $3.4M over the effective cap.  We need a vet QB.  They need to move one. Nick Foles?  They might have to give us a pick for that one, but it's one way they can solve two problems at once.

I'd love it!  Good call.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This. The offseason doesn't end until the final whistle of the last preseason game. Look for JD to shop for FA's and for guys that will be on the block for salary cap reasons, or tradable because a draft choice looks good enough to replace the more expensive option. We have the cap space for this because he did not overspend during the initial FA period. Good value will probably be found from good teams with too many expensive players.  

Rock solid A. This off-season overall has been an A. We’re a cornerback signing away from an A+.

If Joe Douglas lands Nelson or Sherman and Zach Wilson plays up to his ability, this team can actually be good in a hurry 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I know day 3 is ultimately swings that won’t hit, but I wasn’t as excited about a lot of these picks. 

I watched come Carter highlights and I’m excited to see how he fits in the offensive system, but I felt a lot of the players we took we are changing their positions. 

maybe I’m just conditioned to us sucking for so long, but not sure if this was the time to think outside the box or not. 

but GOT DAMN, This first 4 picks of this draft has me so excited to look forward to this offense. 

A-

These players that are going to kind of change positions - they are all very good athletes with maybe some special traits that will set them up for success in Saleh's defense. These guys were hand picked by the Jets for what they want to do with their defense. I expect not all but a few of these players to turn into really good pro's. We will know them well. B for later rounds of draft - one O lineman would of been nice. Early portion of draft A+ so my grade also is an A-

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The second Clark shows anything at all will be the 1st time he has shown anything.  The oline group is the biggest position group with 5 starters.  Still needs a lot more work.

What have all those OL we passed on in the 4th, 5th whatever round have shown us?  

• Upvote 1

B, would of much rather have seen this team turn that 2 into more first and second rounders, especially after seeing how they used those premium picks in this draft. But....what’s done is done and since we’ve elected to go forward  with another qb, it’s as good as it could have been on paper. With some big time prospects on offense and we took some shots on some upside defensive guys on the back side of the draft. First draft in a while where I’m not really second guessing any of the picks.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What have all those OL we passed on in the 4th, 5th whatever round have shown us?  

People say that and then tell me that we got Cam Clark last year so we should be okay.

Some drafts are poor in a position, some are better, this was a good oline draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Solid A.  JD attacked his team's weaknesses early and often.  The first 4 on offense totally changes the trajectory of the team.  All gas/no brake.  Love this set of players.  We will play fast.  The LB/DB/Hybrids are all athletic scheme fits that provided defensive depth as well as help for special teams.  First time in forever, the Jets GM targeted multiple players I had on my radar.  Camp should be competitive.  Can't wait!  

• Upvote 1