Draft Grades Given

I'll go B+ right now.  Good draft, esp. the first four picks.  I'm in the one more OL camp...esp. watching Trey Smith go so late to the Chiefs.

On the bright side, now two young studs on the OL, likely both on the left side.  A mediocrity at C, and JAGs at RG and RT.  We need either Clarke or Edoga to show something this year.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

For me there is only one fail in this draft for the Jets and that is, only one olineman taken.  The guy we got has pro bowl potential and we are better off now than before the draft no doubt but we took like 5 secondary/small LB players in a row essentially.

This oline crop reminds me of last years WR crop in which douglas should have double dipped but did not and we did not double dip at oline this year.  This is his one mistake.

Disagree.  

LT = set

LG = set

C = solid vet signed for another year

RG= 2nd year player and a FA vet

RT = solid vet 

Next year you take a RT with one of our firsts and hopefully a center with one of the second round picks.

JD has to spread out the rookie deals so we aren't trying to re-sign/replace everyone at once.  

• Upvote 3

For me there is only one fail in this draft for the Jets and that is, only one olineman taken.  The guy we got has pro bowl potential and we are better off now than before the draft no doubt but we took like 5 secondary/small LB players in a row essentially.

This oline crop reminds me of last years WR crop in which douglas should have double dipped but did not and we did not double dip at oline this year.  This is his one mistake.

I like the approach a lot.  We added what we believe is a blue chip prospect.  We know AVT is going to start and think he has the chance to be an all-pro level guard.  I cheer that we added weapons rather than developmental fat guys.    We really do have a lot of OL guys on our roster. Some of you are so hung up on Tevon and doubling up on OL most of whom would be no better that what we have.  

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

B.

I would have used some of the 2022 draft capital to grab another oline starter early in the 2nd round.

Sucks paying a premium, but worth it to give the young QB the best environment possible year 1.

No. Then next year you would say we should have kept that pick.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

No. Then next year you would say we should have kept that pick.

Exactly.  I love having two picks in the first three rounds next year. 

We can address all of our remaining needs with premium picks and then stock up on BAPs!  

• Upvote 1

I've been a critic here of JD's draft last year...particularly of the Morgan, Perine and Davis picks...I hope all 3 are off the roster soon..some of the picks look like they are designed to correct the bad picks they were last year and to ease them off the roster with the new picks....we'll see in the summer cuts..I like what he's done this year with a concentration of early offense picks...however, I do feel that some of this year's defense picks are repeating the cycle of converting them from their natural positions. That doesn't work in the long run and bears watching...   

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Exactly.  I love having two picks in the first three rounds next year. 

We can address all of our remaining needs with premium picks and then stock up on BAPs!  

In fact, the more you think about how loaded they could be in 2023... it's exciting.

Hopefully most of these kids develop. 

53 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Disagree.  

LT = set

LG = set

C = solid vet signed for another year

RG= 2nd year player and a FA vet

RT = solid vet 

Next year you take a RT with one of our firsts and hopefully a center with one of the second round picks.

JD has to spread out the rookie deals so we aren't trying to re-sign/replace everyone at once.  

Your definition of solid vet is different than mine.

Also I've said all along I want a great oline as in one of the very best in the league.

Also the depth is poor, an injury and the house of cards falls down.

We;ve improved but I'll stick by my thought that this was a good draft for oline and we had lots of picks thus the want for a double dip.

Hey it was a great draft but I'd rather have had a 2nd oline prospect than the extra safey /lb or cb.

But I've been harping on the oline for like 10 years on this site.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Also I've said all along I want a great oline as in one of the very best in the league.

We;ve improved but I'll stick by my thought that this was a good draft for oline and we had lots of picks thus the want for a double dip.

Hey it was a great draft but I'd rather have had a 2nd oline prospect than the extra safey /lb or cb.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I want the best line in the league also.   

I questioned JD not double dipping at receiver last year, but seeing where we are now, we can see his bigger plan.

Mims, a top Free Agent (Davis), and now Moore and it's a very nice trio that should complement each other nicely.  Add in the kids on the practice squad and there's some actual depth. 

We can kind of glimpse what he's doing on the line:

Left side hopefully set for the next decade, and tons of premium draft capitol to fill the right side next year.  JD is playing the long game and it looks to be paying off.  

Fant and McGovern are more than serviceable for a year.  I'm excited to see Clark play and Feeney is solid depth.  Edoga hopefully takes a step forward after another year in the strength and conditioning program to add depth at tackle. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I was thinking same thing, lol  wish we got 1 more guard,   but dont forget  guard we drafted last year in 5rd is back . Maybe hes looking good. 

A-

The minus is for not trading back into the 3rd round for one of these guys.

Quinn Meinerz - C/G

Ben Cleveland - G

Kendrick Green G/C

Wyatt Davis - G

Tommy Tremble - TE

Robert Hainsey - OT

Aaron Robinson - CB

Ifeatu Melifonqu - CB

Benjamin St-Juste - CB

• Upvote 1

B+

Thought we got too cute at the end, and I wanted Ben Mason

But I actually trust these guys to have really thought about their picks. 

As we saw with Mangini, the coaches are absolutely critical to picking players.  

With Maccagnan, his bad scouts did not consult with the coaches enough.

WIth Gase, his coaches were bad, which is where some of the bad picks last year come from.

You really sense that the players picked fit in the scheme.  I think we will see big improvement.  

People say that and then tell me that we got Cam Clark last year so we should be okay.

Some drafts are poor in a position, some are better, this was a good oline draft.

We shored up a number of positions.  We got a new QB, a top OL, a really nice WR, a RB.  I dont know, what can we do in one draft?  I like the STs players we added at the end of the draft 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

So here's a random though on your last point.

2022 draft capital may have a better use for teams that need to clear more cap and can only do it by trading, not cutting players.

Example:  Saints are right at the cap, but once they sign a full roster, will be at least $2M over.  And they have restructured everything with a pulse.  I believe if they were to release either of their expiring rookies, Ramzczyk or Lattimore, it would still hit their cap since the money is guaranteed.  However, if they trade them, they are free of that cap.  $11M for Ramzczyk and $10M for Lattimore.  So it's possible they find themselves needing to trade a player to clear the cap.  In that case, the Jets have both the available cap and trade assets to make that deal happen.

Other teams in a similar situation:

Falcons - $6M over the effective cap.  Hayden Hurst?  Saves them $600k if they cut and $2M if they trade.

Bears - $3.4M over the effective cap.  We need a vet QB.  They need to move one. Nick Foles?  They might have to give us a pick for that one, but it's one way they can solve two problems at once.

Eagles - $4M over the effective cap.  

Lattimore is a player ive been saying Jets should make a play at,  hes a stud corner with 1 year left on team over cap.  Give them   a2nd next year and maybe one of DBs we drafted .  He a perfect corner for Saleh 

4 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

They took UDFA K Chris Naggar who has a strong leg hitting three 60+ yarders and can punt, kickoff, and hold. He was a top kicker in college the past year or so.

Sounds good but I was hoping a second day pick. 

• Haha 1