Edge Rusher...

5 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

The magical piece that elevates the whole D...

Yet it has eluded the Jets, and after this stellar draft, still does...

A glaring hole...

When will it be addressed?

Once, there was John Abraham, and then...

Crickets...

we signed Hamilcar Rashed from Oregon State

• Upvote 1

I think we'll get plenty of edge rush out of the kids on the roster. The scheme and most importantly the coaching staff are different, so I expect we should have absolutely ferocious pressure up the middle - where it really counts. Speed and sure tackling off the edges hopefully should be enough. And, as others noted - we signed Lawson for the edge, and that guy from NO (?) to pair with Q to go up the middle. Opposing offenses won't be able to double everyone.

I also would've liked an edge, but it wasn't a strong edge class overall. Phillips, Rousseau, Kwity Paye, Tryon, Turner, and Oweh all went 1st round, which was like half of the actually decent edge guys in the class, but even they all have question marks attached to them. I'm disappointed in not getting Elerson Smith by the 4th, but there really weren't many other good prospects past that to take even a flyer on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

My understanding was that this class was entirely mediocre outside the first round at EDGE. Draft to the strength of the class. 

Agreed.  Between Lawson and Curry, and maybe we can get soemthing out of Zuniga.  And with QW and Rankins generating interior pressure, we will probably be in better shape than we have been in recent seasons.  We were not rebuilding the team in one offseason.  No need to reach for an Edge this year in a weak class.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Just keeping in mind that this is stage one of two, 2 ones 2-2’s and 3 3’3s next year. We are going to really stack this team with talent after next years draft.
We might end up with one of the youngest and most talented rosters in
the NFL in the 22 season

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

And another 80 mill in cap space next yr

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Between Lawson and Curry, and maybe we can get soemthing out of Zuniga.  And with QW and Rankins generating interior pressure, we will probably be in better shape than we have been in recent seasons.  We were not rebuilding the team in one offseason.  No need to reach for an Edge this year in a weak class.

Guys like Huff also and the 2 big Safeties drafted that will play at OLB should provide pressure from the outside. Maybe even the UDFA Edge Rusher Rashad may be someone who could develop. 

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They paid Carl Lawson....

I mean I would have loved another Edge Rusher in the draft, you can never have enough, but Carl Lawson is a very good pass rusher. We addressed that need this off season with his signing. 

Exactly - Lawson was the best edge player in free agency and JD signed him to a reasonable contract.  His age/ability is literally perfect for this team and scheme. 

After that we signed Curry and have a few young guys to work with, which is more then fine for this year.  Edge will really be addressed in the next draft where there are 3/4 first round DEs and we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

My understanding was that this class was entirely mediocre outside the first round at EDGE. Draft to the strength of the class. 

I'd have liked Elerson Smith in the third, but we gave up the shot at that to get AVT, which was the right call, imo. Can't fix everything in one offseason

A glaring hole...
Crickets...
Helllllllo. .. mr Lawson

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

A glaring hole...

Crickets...

Isn't that supposed to be Carl "3-Years, $45 million" Lawson?