Jets made worst trade of draft?

Raiders scewed up , they took a 2nd round player instead of Darrisaw ,  if that happened , Vikes miss out of Tucker and Darrisaw for sure.   But i still think Tucker will be a pro bowl guard.   He can also play LT if Becton goes down. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Bosleyjet74 said:

We gave up 2 3rd round picks when we traded for nine places when Chicago only few places ahead of us jumped up nine places and  gave up a 5th this year plus next years 1st and 4th. I know what I would prefer to give up to get the player they wanted 

Excatly, when trade was annouced i thought a first next year,  for sure.    But only 2 3s  and you get a 4 back  that was great to move up 9 spots in first.   DARRISAW fell because of Raiders have no clue how to draft.  Taking a player that was a 2round grade. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Should I know who Seth Walder is?  I'm guessing he hasn't watched a lot of Jets games over the last couple of years.

ESPN Analytics guy.  Used to write for one of the local papers.  I think maybe NYDN.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jamax99 said:

Raiders scewed up , they took a 2nd round player instead of Darrisaw ,  if that happened , Vikes miss out of Tucker and Darrisaw for sure.   But i still think Tucker will be a pro bowl guard.   He can also play LT if Becton goes down. 

I do not know about all that.  But the dingbat move of the entire draft was the Raiders taking Leatherwood at 16.  Even if you believe that he is a sure starter, you still must take into account what the rest of the league is thinking.  They could have moved back ten to twenty spots - if not more - and still gotten him. 

If that had happened here the board would be in full meltdown.  Ourlads gave him a 3d round grade and sees him as a guard.  As do I.  And I like him a lot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

If AVT is as good as proposed this will be one of the best trades in Jets history. Legitimate chance to be a Blue chip 10 year starter protecting young FQB.

Darrisaw reportedly had issues causing him to drop. Did not finish blocks and has motivation concerns.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I blame Jimmy Johnson and his draft chart.  Everyone immediately grades these trades based on some subjective assignments of poitns to each pick.  But if the player you move up for, AVT in this case, turns out to be as good as JD thinks, it is a good trade, regardless of "points."  If the player busts, it is a bad trade, again, regardless of what the chart says.

It was a steep ptice to pay, but with a rookie QB under center, and after seeing the way we failed to support Darnold the last few years, I am glad we got him.

Im pretty sure the Jimmy Johnson trade chart was virtually even....off by 40 points or something.   Being upset by that trade makes zero sense to me.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed. It was.  We "lost" the trade by about 40 points.  But if we made the same deal to move to 13 instead of 14, and take the same player, and give up the same resources, suddenly it is a good trade.  We paid the same price and got the same player.  Evaluating these trades on draft day based on the chart is meaningless. 

It's taking analytics to an absurd level...the equivalent of taking your ace starter out of game 7 in the WS in the 5th because a piece of paper says so.

• Upvote 3

My problem with this Seth Walder take is he's an analytics guy(no problem with that part), but this isn't based on analytics.  He just doesn't like it's for a guard.  The "numbers" would point to much more costly trades than the Jets made.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My problem with this Seth Walder take is he's an analytics guy(no problem with that part), but this isn't based on analytics.  He just doesn't like it's for a guard.  The "numbers" would point to much more costly trades than the Jets made.

Yeah that just shows you how much analytics really mean if you don't know what you are doing or context ..we def needed a gaurd

• Upvote 1