Jump to content

Jets made worst trade of draft?


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Wit said:

They had Vera ticket ranked seven so in their eyes they got the number one and number 7 player in the draft and have you two thirds to get it. Darrisaw is a tackle and we needed a guard, so for us it was worth it. 

This is silly. Vera Tucker is actually a tackle who projects better at guard because of his short arm length. Darrisaw doesn’t have that issue so he’s likely to stay at tackle but obviously could go inside. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah when Mt. Becton and AVT push people into the end zone for a key rushing TD we’ll all remember the trade value chart 😂

If he starts next to Becton for the next decade, and together they protect Wilson's blind side and open running lanes, then I couldn't care less what some analytics nerd thinks of the pick.

I blame Jimmy Johnson and his draft chart.  Everyone immediately grades these trades based on some subjective assignments of poitns to each pick.  But if the player you move up for, AVT in this case,

54 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Should I know who Seth Walder is?  I'm guessing he hasn't watched a lot of Jets games over the last couple of years.

He was Manish's side kick at the daily news for years.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed. It was.  We "lost" the trade by about 40 points.  But if we made the same deal to move to 13 instead of 14, and take the same player, and give up the same resources, suddenly it is a good trade.  We paid the same price and got the same player.  Evaluating these trades on draft day based on the chart is meaningless. 

Looking at the 4th round as it started today I wish we could have had Minny  given up one of their higher 4th rounders like the 119th instead of the 146th.  Would have evened the trade better by 22 points but it's done let's move on. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

I do not know about all that.  But the dingbat move of the entire draft was the Raiders taking Leatherwood at 16.  Even if you believe that he is a sure starter, you still must take into account what the rest of the league is thinking.  They could have moved back ten to twenty spots - if not more - and still gotten him. 

If that had happened here the board would be in full meltdown.  Ourlads gave him a 3d round grade and sees him as a guard.  As do I.  And I like him a lot. 

Raiders got JD'ed! Gruden must have lost his sh*t when Jets moved to 14.  AVT would be his pick 100000%.  Leatherwood was T moving to G Plan B,  Mayock probably wanted someone else but Gruden flashed his rings...

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it is that we traded the front half of the JA trade plus our own 3rd rd pick to get the overall 6th graded player on the jets board at a dire position of need.  This could set up for the best left side of the oline in the league.  JD is dedicated to winning in the trenches for the offense.  Will improve the run and pass game along with protecting our rookie qb.  LG was a sh*t show last year and now has the upside to being a strength with long term upside of being set for years to come.   Love love love this trade to draft the olineman that JD wanted.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s right in that process-wise, giving up two 3s to move up nine spots for a guard is bad. But this is the thinnest draft in our lifetime, so maximizing your choices in the top ~50 picks is vital. If they really think AVT is a Nelson- or Martin-type player, then **** it, go for it

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jets Fans Pre-Draft:  Well, you see, the Chart really is the guideline, premium positions, value for slot, I mean come on......

Jets Fans Post-Draft:  BAD TRADE?  GET F'ED MAN, CHART?  WHAT F'ING CHART?  WE GOT THE GUY, THE MAN.  SO WHAT IF HE IS A GUARD.  F' THE DOUBTERS AND THEIR CHARTS!

🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bosleyjet74 said:

We gave up 2 3rd round picks when we traded for nine places when Chicago only few places ahead of us jumped up nine places and  gave up a 5th this year plus next years 1st and 4th. I know what I would prefer to give up to get the player they wanted 

Da Dumm Dumm Bears

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamax99 said:

Raiders scewed up , they took a 2nd round player instead of Darrisaw ,  if that happened , Vikes miss out of Tucker and Darrisaw for sure.   But i still think Tucker will be a pro bowl guard.   He can also play LT if Becton goes down. 

That is so dumb , as Tom Cable has produced a top offense line no matter how many injuries he has faced since joining the Raiders as offense line coach.  There are certain qualifications offense tackles must possess if they’re going to play for him.   He has never drafted a tackle with less than 34 inch arm length .( Tucker doesn’t meet the criteria 321/2  arm length).   Until Cable stops producing a top offense line , than he always get the benefit of doubt.   Really could care what anyone had Leatherwood ranked, as he fits what Cable wants his tackles to possess .

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bosleyjet74 said:

We gave up 2 3rd round picks when we traded for nine places when Chicago only few places ahead of us jumped up nine places and  gave up a 5th this year plus next years 1st and 4th. I know what I would prefer to give up to get the player they wanted 

We gave up one high third and flipped another third for a fourth.  We net lost one draft pick.  Not a lot to get a player you covet to start.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understand how people ignore the fact that the Jets received pick #143 in this trade. 
Subsequently the Jets converted that effectively to #175 and #200

Granted the loss of value, in the end their was no loss of draft numbers. Jets lost #23/66/86 but gained #14/175/200 from the trade. 

 

Minnesota Vikings receive: #23 overall (Christian Darrisaw), #66 overall (Kellen Mond), #86 overall (Wyatt Davis))

The Jets receive:  #14 (Vera-Tucker,OG), #175 (Pinnoch,CB) , #200 (Echols,CB)

That is how I judge the trade. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, undertow said:

Analytic nerds have ruined baseball and now they have brainwashed people into caring more about how many mid rounds picks you have instead of just drafting pro bowl players....must be a miserable time. lol

They have been brainwashed by years of ESPN propaganda proclaiming Belichick smartest man alive for trading down every draft

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

That is so dumb , as Tom Cable has produced a top offense line no matter how many injuries he has faced since joining the Raiders as offense line coach.  There are certain qualifications offense tackles must possess if they’re going to play for him.   He has never drafted a tackle with less than 34 inch arm length .( Tucker doesn’t meet the criteria 321/2  arm length).   Until Cable stops producing a top offense line , than he always get the benefit of doubt.   Really could care what anyone had Leatherwood ranked, as he fits what Cable wants his tackles to possess .

If Cable is so great why couldn’t he get Trent Brown to be effective?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Larz said:

Yeah when Mt. Becton and AVT push people into the end zone for a key rushing TD we’ll all remember the trade value chart 😂

Seriously but omfg we could have had ardarius loser in the third round or Lorenzo maudlin prospect instead!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Typical jets hate...like guys giving us b rating for picking wilson in the first...but an A for jax picking Trevor...

Just like pats always makes the right move even though they have been terrible drafting etc .

It's just wins and losses. People forget jets winning the AFC E twice those years we were not getting hot the hate...but you lose and lose and lose...then have a coach like Gase that makes you look like the worst team ever in the NFL...you get guys like this who day a really good move for the jets is bad.

You could argue we should not have moved up but you can't argue us getting a top 10 player at a position of need is a bad thing.

This twitter dude is a dumb ass

a lot of them are dumb. walter football graded our pick of wilson a B because he said he liked fields better. then he grades the 49ers a A for taking trey lance. mind you he had wilson as a better prospect than trey lance. so he gives us a whole grade lower than the 49ers who also passed on fields to take a prospect he had ranked lower than who we took. it's just jets hate

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lith said:

If he starts next to Becton for the next decade, and together they protect Wilson's blind side and open running lanes, then I couldn't care less what some analytics nerd thinks of the pick.

All my nerdy friends are getting buff

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s nice to have a GM with the courage of his convictions. He wanted his guy, he went and got his guy. 
 

Unlike Macc who even when he got it right, he got it wrong. Like when he correctly identified Kamara as a player but balked at the trade up price. Bet he wish he ponied up.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Typical jets hate...like guys giving us b rating for picking wilson in the first...but an A for jax picking Trevor...

Just like pats always makes the right move even though they have been terrible drafting etc .

 

The hate is real. If the Niners would have picked Wilson everyone would have loved it and talked about how smart they are in Niners camp. If the Jets would have traded up for Lance everyone would be talking bad about them saying it was a dumb typical Jets move.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lith said:

Here is a different view.  Think I would trust this guy's take on OL before Seth Walder.

 

How did Damien woody become the voice of the jet fan? 
Is he a local guy?
Guys mint and always has the pulse of the jet fan base. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

 

The hate is real. If the Niners would have picked Wilson everyone would have loved it and talked about how smart they are in Niners camp. If the Jets would have traded up for Lance everyone would be talking bad about them saying it was a dumb typical Jets move.

If the Jets don’t like be “hated” they should do something about being so worthy of hate. I also judge every move with skepticism until I see some sort of results. That’s where I am with this team and I’m a lifelong fan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also want to point out two things:

1. the team moving UP for a player almost ALWAYS overpays. You can't just go by the points chart. If you only overpay by a little, you won the trade just by making it happen and getting 'your' guy.

2. The Jets also got Michael Carter with the 4th Rd. pick they acquired in this trade. I REALLY like this prospect. He's an explosive runner and very good receiver out of the backfield. He should have went in Rd. 3. 

AVT and Michael Carter for our 23rd and two 3rd rounders- sign me up.   

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I also want to point out two things:

1. the team moving UP for a player almost ALWAYS overpays. You can't just go by the points chart. If you only overpay by a little, you won the trade just by making it happen and getting 'your' guy.

2. The Jets also got Michael Carter with the 4th Rd. pick they acquired in this trade. I REALLY like this prospect. He's an explosive runner and very good receiver out of the backfield. He should have went in Rd. 3. 

AVT and Michael Carter for our 23rd and two 3rd rounders- sign me up.   

I don’t think that’s correct. Michael Carter was taken with the 2nd pick of the 4th round which was the Jets scheduled pick

Jets received pick #143 in this trade. 
Subsequently the Jets converted that effectively to #175 and #200

Granted the loss of value, in the end their was no loss of draft numbers. Jets lost #23/66/86 but gained #14/175/200 from the trade. 

 

Minnesota Vikings receive: #23 overall (Christian Darrisaw), #66 overall (Kellen Mond), #86 overall (Wyatt Davis))

The Jets receive:  #14 (Vera-Tucker,OG), #175 (Pinnoch,CB) , #200 (Echols,CB)

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artemusclyde said:

Dolphins traded away a first for a wr who might not even be better then Smith. That was absolutely the worst trade of the draft, and I wasn't even a fan of the trade up for AVT.

This.

Also we have heard from several people there was only 15 first round players this year. As you saw Jenkins was a second rounder.

That clearly has to devalue our pick. So how much is our 1.23 worth if its really valued as 2.1? or 2.10? A mid third rounder. 

That is why the value chart is just a guide. We gave up an extra 4th in value if your looking at the chart. I would do that 1000x to get the safer prospect with Pro Bowl upside. Darrisaw had medical/character red flags and was passed by SEVERAL teams needing a LT. You can not bust on first round picks. You need safe players there. Loved the deal. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we presume that the Jets did not have a decent LG on their roster, who else were they drafting to play that at a pro bowl level?

this was a decent trade but it presumes that McGovern and Fant will play well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lith said:

If he starts next to Becton for the next decade, and together they protect Wilson's blind side and open running lanes, then I couldn't care less what some analytics nerd thinks of the pick.

Agreed, it’s a great trade if you went up and got a player you rated very highly and clearly wanted who fills a glaring need AND he develops into an elite player while starting from day 1......the Sam Darnold trade was a great trade at the time, but now it was a dreadful trade, not least because those 3 2nd rounders were prime picks that should’ve been used to draft players to help support Sam....all water under the bridge now, but this will be an excellent move if AVT is the player we and the Jets believe he is.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

I don’t think that’s correct. Michael Carter was taken with the 2nd pick of the 4th round which was the Jets scheduled pick

 

Jets received pick #143 in this trade. 
Subsequently the Jets converted that effectively to #175 and #200

Granted the loss of value, in the end their was no loss of draft numbers. Jets lost #23/66/86 but gained #14/175/200 from the trade. 

 

Minnesota Vikings receive: #23 overall (Christian Darrisaw), #66 overall (Kellen Mond), #86 overall (Wyatt Davis))

The Jets receive:  #14 (Vera-Tucker,OG), #175 (Pinnoch,CB) , #200 (Echols,CB)

 

Yes you are right! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...