Now that the draft is over, has your outlook/expectations for this year changed at all?

Sure we might see some additional moves coming in the next few days and weeks getting the roster camp ready(vet qb, vet cb, etc), but with the major influx of offensive talent, has your expectstions changed for the 2021 season?

I understand these are all rookies, and to not think there will be any sort of growing pains, but with a clear identity being built and a plan you can actually get behind I definitely feel more optimistic for this year.  Hell I had 3 or 4 of my friends text me throughout the draft saying they thought we were having the best draft of anyone and that we are loading up. These are also the same friends who were already sending the texts making fun of the Jets before Sanchez’s head came out of Moore’s backside on the butt fumble. 

The left side of this line has the potential to be insanely goodcausing massive holes for the running back, we have talent at WR that each possess their own strengths that can make the passing game not just adequate, but eventually dynamic as Wilson hopefully finds a groove and shakes off any rookie jitters. 

im not saying we are a playoff team by any means, but I don’t think it’s also out of left field to think we can’t be a team that is in the hunt in the final few weeks of the season. 

oh yea, we also have 2 first, second, and third round picks next year. 

it’s not a bad time to be a Jets fan. Not at all. 

Go Jets

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Yeah I'm just enjoying this aspect...

Right now things are looking up.

I like the players drafted, the strategy in the draft, and the UDFA pick ups.

Plenty of time for gravity to take hold and pull my *** back to earth but I'm happy with JD and company at the moment.

• Upvote 3

Sure we might see some additional moves coming in the next few days and weeks getting the roster camp ready(vet qb, vet cb, etc), but with the major influx of offensive talent, has your expectstions changed for the 2021 season?
I understand these are all rookies, and to not think there will be any sort of growing pains, but with a clear identity being built and a plan you can actually get behind I definitely feel more optimistic for this year.  Hell I had 3 or 4 of my friends text me throughout the draft saying they thought we were having the best draft of anyone and that we are loading up. These are also the same friends who were already sending the texts making fun of the Jets before Sanchez’s head came out of Moore’s backside on the butt fumble. 

The left side of this line has the potential to be insanely goodcausing massive holes for the running back, we have talent at WR that each possess their own strengths that can make the passing game not just adequate, but eventually dynamic as Wilson hopefully finds a groove and shakes off any rookie jitters. 

im not saying we are a playoff team by any means, but I don’t think it’s also out of left field to think we can’t be a team that is in the hunt in the final few weeks of the season. 

oh yea, we also have 2 first, second, and third round picks next year. 

Go Jets

Couldn’t have said it better. I see a foundation being built... hopefully some meaningful games in December... record wise I can see 7-9 wins. But it’s about a couple to 3 years away. Where I’m hopeful this team does us all right!!!! This is the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

My expectations for W/L total probably don't change (4-7 wins), but I'm much more excited to watch Wilson with the new coaching staff, revamped line, and weapons than the dreck we had all over the field last year

• Upvote 1

Guaranteed to be better than the last 2 years when I honestly for the first time in 52 years almost walked away from this team. Not even during the Kotite years did I contemplate walking. 

Next year will be a breath of fresh air no matter how it turns out. 

• Upvote 4

Stoked to watch the young guys develop and to have people actually excited to be Jets for once.

2021 record isn’t as important and the clear move toward respectability and the org finally having their sh*t together with a plan.

2023 and 2024 is when it should all come together. Mac contracts gone, young bucks have experience, another ton of picks and cap space implemented.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Stoked to watch the young guys develop and to have people actually excited to be Jets for once.

2021 record isn’t as important and the clear move toward respectability and the org finally having their sh*t together with a plan.

2023 and 2024 is when it should all come together. Mac contracts gone, young bucks have experience, another ton of picks and cap space implemented.

We will be one of the best teams in the AFC in 2023 and have a legitimate shot at making a run to a Super bowl.

Get ready Jet fans.  We have finally done it!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

For the first time in a long time, I think we have multiple home run hitters on offense.

They'll be young and make mistakes, but I bet we're fun a watch. 

This..........how many times have we been able to say that in the last 20 years? once? 2015? 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Icer said:

My expectations for W/L total probably don't change (4-7 wins), but I'm much more excited to watch Wilson with the new coaching staff, revamped line, and weapons than the dreck we had all over the field last year

I think excluding the outlier (GASE) , we have a winning record next year!

• Upvote 1

My dream in life is that Wilson shows enough that it’s irrefutable that he’s a player. And yes, if he is, it will be obvious after year 1. If we are making excuses this time next year, he is not a FQB. Not sure I can stomach another 3 years being called a troll for saying our shiny new QB is objectively not good.

Nothing else matters for 2021.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will be one of the best teams in the AFC in 2023 and have a legitimate shot at making a run to a Super bowl.

Get ready Jet fans.  We have finally done it!

The Apocalypse will happen in 2022

• Haha 2

I don;t know if my expectations have changed. These guys are rookies and we don't know how well they will perform in their first year in the NFL. 

Also, drafting Wilson, a top tier O-lineman, a RB, a WR, and getting secondary/LB help were all positions I expected the Jets to address. 

However, once JD compiles the full roster I expect my expectations to rise. The draft went just about as well as I could have hoped, for the exceptions of a couple of head scratchers late. The Jets have put themselves in a position where they can cut a one or two JAG vets like Lewis or Griffin and sign a couple of quality vet FAs to fill out this roster and, assuming a turnaround in coaching, make this team a little more competitive and continually getting better as they are learning the system and growing into their roles- especially Wilson. The defense should be solid.    

I don’t know how many wins to expect, but watching the draft and seeing a clear vision for how we’re trying to build the roster was exciting. Seems like there’s finally synergy between coaching staff and front office.

much different than last year’s draft. After round 2, our picks seemed disjointed 

41 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

We’ve had nothing but frustrating turnover prone offenses for like 15 years. The years we were good were off good defense and good running games. I’m excited that we actually might see a good passing offense for once. 

I expect our line to still have issues and our secondary and linebackers to blow, though. 

I agree. I think we will see a bend don't break defense though. The secondary will tighten up as the field shortens and it will get a lot tougher to run or pass the ball on the Jets. Unless they get a good veteran in the secondary the Jets will give up a lot of big plays on breakdowns. People talk up Hall and I love the kid but he's barely played a full season of football. The Jets should be looking to sign Sherman or another vet who can step in and contribute as an outside CB in case Hall or Bless struggles. I assume that is what they will try to do. 

At LB, assuming Mosley comes back healthy, I think they should be alright. Davis was a good addition as long as they don't intend to play him as a Mike and they just leave him on the strong side where he can read and react instead of diagnose pre-play. It looks like they drafted Sherwood for the will which is really interesting. S/LB hybrid who they will use in coverage but primarily at the Will. I wonder if they feel comfortable enough starting him or if they intend to sign a vet or maybe let newly signed Del'Shawn Phillips compete for that spot. Considering how good (and deep) our D-line should be, this LB group (with a healthy Cashman) should be ok.   

• Upvote 2

Not overly worried about wins as I think next year’s picks will be the ones that truly change this franchise. 
But in general, things I’d like to see:

- Wilson gets over 3,000 yards and 20 TDs, less than 10 interceptions. Almost instantly out performing Darnold’s last three seasons. 

- Wilson to be sacked less than 30 times. 

- Beat Lawrence and the Jags. 

• Upvote 2

The Jet's will be much better this year...just getting rid of Gase should improve the offense alone. I see this as a similar rebuild to the Fin's.

I see at least 7 wins if not more.

AFCE is gonna be a tough division for years to come.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

This right here. 

I used to be obsessed with this team. The Mac years were this downward spiral which got worse with Gase to the point I have not watched a Jet game in 1.5 years. Not bc of some anger or protest - Just bc of general disinterest. Kind of like a snowball effect of poor leadership/direction in the wrong direction lead to this. 

The offseason last year we got little glimpses into what Douglas was thinking and his strategy in team building. It's kind of been a snowball effect in the right direction. It has just been good move after good move.

I could care less if we win or make the playoffs. You just want to see a clear direction. Team Building. A clear system put in place on offense and Defense that young players will grow in. Winning the superbowl is random. Its totally about enjoying the ride year to year. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Success this season solely depends on Zach Wilson's maturation of an NFL QB and how he integrates into the system.  For that reason, I'm not optimistic for 2021. Rookie coaches, rookie QB - not usually a recipe for early success and I think we're going to be in for a really rough rookie season from Wilson.  

That said, what JD has  built an offensive foundation, on the Jets and that's weird to say;

QB - Wilson/Morgan

RB - Perrine/Carter

WR - Mims/Moore

TE - Yeobah

OL - Becton, AVT, Clark 

....if Clark turns out to be a starting guard....he's 2 selections away from literally reworking every positional group.   That's not to say everyone hits but I aint mad.  Hell, I'm not even going to nitpick this year since he went YOLO offense and I've been asking for that for a while.  I know he flipped the script and went D the rest of the way but the meat of this draft was his first 4 picks, if any of the 5th and beyond and hit, that's just cream cheese on the bagel. 

NIce post!