Now that the draft is over, has your outlook/expectations for this year changed at all?

The future is bright with this team!!! Douglas is building a foundation of young players, which has been missing for years!!! Its also obvious that Douglas has a plan and isn't taking any shortcuts at all with his plan!!! 

Just hoping now that the Johnson brothers don't interfere and let Douglas do his job!!!

• Upvote 2

Progress. That's all that I expect and hope to see. What final form that progress takes is up in the air, and is the fun part of watching the games over the course of the season.

Who knows what might happen? Heck, if the Knicks can experience such a great turnaround (currently in 4th place in the east, and a lock for the playoffs) in such a short time... why can't the Jets?

My expectations after the draft are progress,  and dare I say... hope.

• Upvote 3

This draft had, for me, two unique aspects. One seemed unique for the Jets and the other seemed unique for the league.

Unique for the Jets was finally placing value on quality offensive players. No one can deny the “statement picks” and trade up aggressiveness on offense. We are all elated by this.

Unique to the league, was drafting player after player with the intention of fielding them at a different position in the NFL than they played in college. This seemed exceptionally bold and will show itself to be a brilliant or bust strategy. It involves at some level a new take on the desired traits of different positions on defense. The optimist says we’ll reinvent defensive secondary play (East Coast Defense, anyone?) and the pessimist says keystone cops part 2.

Even if the optimist is right (meaning additionally that we got superb value from late picks by viewing player traits through a different lens) there will be some adjustment period before the defense settles.

So I expect this season to not have so many wins that we are in playoff contention, but to instead watch the kids settle down from initially sloppy play to eventually exciting and competitive play, just in time for a new offseason featuring more vision-driven rebuilding efforts fueled by ample draft picks.

• Upvote 2

It’s going to be a 4-12 season, with the possibility that maybe the defense will be better and the OL will be a strength. I expect next to nothing from Zach Wilson and would prefer they sit him for the first half of the year. 

• Upvote 2

The offense could be better.  If Wilson gets hurt there is currently no viable backup.  I think they are rolling the dice on the OL.

The defense seems to be a better scheme.  It will need Mosley back and an adjustment period.  Could be a lot of bumps there.  

If Wilson is playing it will be a team that looks a lot better, but the win total could still be pretty low.  

It’s waay too early to establish any win-loss expectations for this team.

But, I’m encouraged because we finally have a GM running the show without any ownership meddling. That’s big.

JD did accomplish to 

1- get HIS qb via the draft;

2- get an edge-rusher via FA;

3- Re-inforce probably the best part of this roster, the defensive line via FA;

4- get 2 dynamic pass catchers via both the draft and FA. Hopefully one will become this team’s #1 receiver ( Maybe it’s Mimms, we’ll see)

5- get what people say is the best guard prospect via the draft. Hopefully that settles the left side on the Oline for the next 10 years;

6- draft a scat-back RB with play maker ability to compliment the running back corps.

7- draft what seems like a million DBs in the late rounds. With late rounders, you just never know what to expect. Most never make the team.so by drafting  a whole bunch, the law of averages strategy makes sense.All he needs is for ONE of these prospects to actually pan out. If healthy Hall, seems like he’s going to be this teams #1 CB. Let’s see what the coaching staff does with them.

The common thread will all of these picks seem to be character, youth, and speed. What’s going to interesting to see unfold next is the leadership corps. The addition of Justin Hardee was a nice one, let’s see if he becomes a team captain.

So, I’m encouraged!

Now on to training camp!

• Upvote 4

The right side of the Oline is still the same. Hopefully something happens there before the season. 

An solid veteran TE or WR would be helpful too. Right now Wilson is throwing the ball to a bunch of guys with almost no NFL experience. I dont think that's a good idea. 

• Sympathy 1

The most impressive part of the equation to me is the optimism I now have that JD has brought to the team and fan base.   It’s just reassuring to feel like you can approve or at least understand the moves being made.  

• Upvote 3

I'd love to see them shock everyone and make a wild card. And I don't think that's impossible.

That said, as a baseline I want to see a competitive team with a competent offense. The last two years under Gase we started the first half of the season 1-7 and 0-8. The season was basically done by October.

I want to see a team that fights and has a chance to win every week, that has a chance to win in the 4th quarter, that's hovering around .500 and staying alive in the race. I think that's a reasonable ask.

• Upvote 2

Ifs football, Every game you have a chance to win.  Look what the Knicks did.  Expect may be a strong word.  I expect them to play hard, show promise and exciting flashes.  We are going to run left and design plays for Zack to hit down field.  Fighting for a playoff spot is not out of the question.  

The vibe around the Jets is different now. I would buy tickets to this movie expecting to be entertained, not dreading what is going to happen. 

JD is well on his way to proving himself a solid GM. Now it's Saleh's turn to show us his chops. If he and his staff can teach and develop players, and I'm optimistic based on his prior performance in SF, Jets are going places.

This is a top 10 D w/ Saleh at the helm.  This is going to be a heck of a season.

You are going to be in a dogfight playing the NYJ moving forward.  

Obviously the qb is going to take his lumps so I doubt playoffs year one.  But if we can get 6-8 wins that is a heck of a start for year 1.

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

But if we can get 6-8 wins that is a heck of a start for year 1.

WHAT????  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  That's funny!

Adam Gase GOT SEVEN!  And Saleh has an easier schedule!

Man up.  The expectation is TEN WINS. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

But, I’m encouraged because we finally have a GM running the show without any ownership meddling. That’s big.

I'm not sure if Woody had a hand in the Moore selection. Yes he an upgrade over Crowder but we had so many large  holes to fill. That pick just smells of money saving which only benefits the owner.

We'll see if Crowder is on the roster next season.