The Will

I'm not much of an X's and O's guy. I never played organized football. But I will tell you this much. I'm excited to see how Saleh and Ulbrich utilize our LB's and Safeties this season, particularly the Will, which is a bit of a mystery position right now.

We have Mosley coming back, presumably to QB the defense and take over the Mike. We signed Davis to a 7mil deal as one of our first FA pickups to presumably man the strong side. And for the Will we didn't do much. Then we go ahead and draft a Safety who's really cut out to be a scheme specific coverage LB in Jamien Sherwood. I gotta be honest, I didn't look into a lot of safeties before the draft. When I looked at Sherwood the first thing that pops out on in his measurables is his great length. At 220, he's 6'2 with 34" arms and 10" hands. Biggest thing that popped out after watching some highlights (I did not watch tape on this kid lol) is his tackling and athleticism. He's an NFL tackler and he ahs NFL athleticism. He's raw and you would imagine at 220 he still needs 10-15lbs on that frame to play ANY LB position in the NFL. But it was a really interesting selection for a position of need and I see some promise. 

So do you think Sherwood will have a shot to compete for the Will? Is JD planning on signing a vet while he develops? Will Blake Cashman or Del'Shawn Phillips end up with the starting duties? Really curious about what Jet fans think about this pick and the state of the Weak side LB position in general. 

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm not much of an X's and O's guy. I never played organized football. But I will tell you this much. I'm excited to see how Saleh and Ulbrich utilize our LB's and Safeties this season, particularly the Will, which is a bit of a mystery position right now.

We have Mosley coming back, presumably to QB the defense and take over the Mike. We signed Davis to a 7mil deal as one of our first FA pickups to presumably man the strong side. And for the Will we didn't do much. Then we go ahead and draft a Safety who's really cut out to be a scheme specific coverage LB in Jamien Sherwood. I gotta be honest, I didn't look into a lot of safeties before the draft. When I looked at Sherwood the first thing that pops out on in his measurables is his great length. At 220, he's 6'2 with 34" arms and 10" hands. Biggest thing that popped out after watching some highlights (I did not watch tape on this kid lol) is his tackling and athleticism. He's an NFL tackler and he ahs NFL athleticism. He's raw and you would imagine at 220 he still needs 10-15lbs on that frame to play ANY LB position in the NFL. But it was a really interesting selection for a position of need and I see some promise. 

So do you think Sherwood will have a shot to compete for the Will? Is JD planning on signing a vet while he develops? Will Blake Cashman or Del'Shawn Phillips end up with the starting duties? Really curious about what Jet fans think about this pick and the state of the Weak side LB position in general. 

Davis plays WR. I assume you’re talking about Lawson who plays edge, not ILB. 

I’m not sure but I could see the plan being to convert one of the late round CB/S to play the hybrid cover ILB role.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

The Jets tried to sign Keannu Neal in FA to play that position, but he went to the Cowboys. That's what I think they envision both Sherwood and the Fl.St kid becoming. It may or may not work, but it's refreshing to have coaches and scouts look at players and see that guys may have traits that can translate to other positions. Other than Sherwood, the guys they took yesterday all have very good RAS scores.Not that it's the be all and end all, but good athletes can usually do more things. I always remember the first playoff run BB had with the Pats, when he had to play Troy Brown at S because they had injuries. They asked him why,and he said simply" because he's the best athlete on the team," It will be interesting to say the least.

• Upvote 2

Saleh views box safeties and LBs as the same thing (listen to his press conference). We had this debate for like 2 years with Jamal Adams. Was he a LB or a Safety?

I like that our defense is going to be asked to play fast. Listening to Saleh speak about his vision for the defense is exciting. Upfront we are going to ask those guys to attack upfield and create havoc. The LBs will be asked to run, hit and clean up anything the front misses. On the backend, we are playing zone and want guys who are fast and long (take away space quickly). Should be a lot of fun to watch.

I don’t expect them to ask Sherwood or Hamsah to gain weight. They’re fine playing LB as they are.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Jets tried to sign Keannu Neal in FA to play that position, but he went to the Cowboys. That's what I think they envision both Sherwood and the Fl.St kid becoming. It may or may not work, but it's refreshing to have coaches and scouts look at players and see that guys may have traits that can translate to other positions. Other than Sherwood, the guys they took yesterday all have very good RAS scores.Not that it's the be all and end all, but good athletes can usually do more things. I always remember the first playoff run BB had with the Pats, when he had to play Troy Brown at S because they had injuries. They asked him why,and he said simply" because he's the best athlete on the team," It will be interesting to say the least.

Drafting players with high RAS scores seems to be a theme with JD and I'm def. not mad about it. Nice to know yo have elite athletes on the field, hopefully they can stay healthy. 

It's going be interesting to see how Saleh uses all of these Safeties with Maye, Ash, Joyner, Sherwood, maybe Nas if he makes the team, maybe Carter II if he makes the team, against both the pass and run in different situations. Its just going to be Safeties/LBs everywhere and a relentless pass rush on every play. I think Saleh plans to simplify the duties for the 2 outside CBs. Should make things for Hall and Bless a lot easier.    

• Upvote 1

I think the Jets are going to play 4 DL, 1 or 2 LBs (Mosley and/or Davis) and then flood the field with 200 lb athletes running around.  

I could see 4-1 and 6, with 2 of the 6 being Ashtyn, Sherwood, Hamsah, Cashman, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Seeing the way this draft unfolded, its pretty clear the jets will be playing a lot of 5 DBs with Mosley and Jarrad Davis as the LBs, while allowing Blake Cashman the opportunity to make the team if he can stay healthy.  

The interesting part to this is that although speed was his best trait coming out of college, Ashtyn Davis played very well around the LOS last year and is a very physical player.  He and Lamarcus Joyner, who while small also excels in a hybrid role near the LOS, can move around in the defense quite a bit and be used as blitzers. 

The key to being able to survive with DBs playing LB though is 1. having our DL continue to be dominant vs the run, so Id imagine we will still see a lot of Foley next to QW at DT on early downs and 2. we really need Mosley to come back and be near what he was which is a bit of a risk. 

The player that I like the most in the run of DBs we took yesterday is Hamsah Nasirildeen from FSU.  He was a very good player as a junior and fell strictly due to medical concerns over his ACL tear that happened at the end of 2019.  He can definitely add 5+ pounds to his frame and potentially be an excellent hybrid safety/WILL.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/hamsah-nasirildeen-nfl-draft-player-profile-florida-state-safety/

• Upvote 1

I read something that said the 49ers played their base 4-3 defense ~25% of the time - using a nickel the majority of the other snaps. That means only 2 LBs will be on the field the majority of the time. While I expect some of these new S/WILs to play in a big nickel formation - the reality is the defense won't have a lot of LBs on the field at once - so not nearly as much pressure on these guys to step in day 1 and contribute. Cashman is likely the starter up until the 2nd play of the year when he will inevitably get injured and then we can see what these guys got. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Drafting players with high RAS scores seems to be a theme with JD and I'm def. not mad about it. Nice to know yo have elite athletes on the field, hopefully they can stay healthy. 

It's going be interesting to see how Saleh uses all of these Safeties with Maye, Ash, Joyner, Sherwood, maybe Nas if he makes the team, maybe Carter II if he makes the team, against both the pass and run in different situations. Its just going to be Safeties/LBs everywhere and a relentless pass rush on every play. I think Saleh plans to simplify the duties for the 2 outside CBs. Should make things for Hall and Bless a lot easier.    

I think the old model of front-7 and secondary might be outdated for this system.

It's more like DL and 'everyone else'.  And by DL, that might include an extra rusher/stuffer or two depending on the situation.  The line between LB and DB is blurry.  What's interesting is that it opens the door to a certain profile of athlete that might normally be considered 'positionless' but now has a clear opportunity to produce at a high level, which means we can get more out of players that other teams aren't as interested in, except the few that also do this.  

It reminds me of how 3-4 created opportunities for players who didn't thrive in a 4-3 and made them easier to sign.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I read something that said the 49ers played their base 4-3 defense ~25% of the time - using a nickel the majority of the other snaps. That means only 2 LBs will be on the field the majority of the time. While I expect some of these new S/WILs to play in a big nickel formation - the reality is the defense won't have a lot of LBs on the field at once - so not nearly as much pressure on these guys to step in day 1 and contribute. Cashman is likely the starter up until the 2nd play of the year when he will inevitably get injured and then we can see what these guys got. 

If that’s the case, why keep Mosley?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Tough to unload that contract.

Also, a good locker room guy who is smart and can help implement the new D.

Let Mosley earn some of the $ Mac egregiously threw at him, and cut bait before 2022. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Do we know there’s much of an alternative? Can certainly see if he fits in but he can’t be cut and I can’t imagine any team would be jumping take on that deal after almost two years of not playing.

Tough to unload that contract.
Also, a good locker room guy who is smart and can help implement the new D.
Let Mosley earn some of the $ Mac egregiously threw at him, and cut bait before 2022. 
I think we are on the hook till 2023 w covid opt out

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If we are running a 4-2-5 then you actually need Mosley even more because we only have 2-3 traditional LBs on the entire roster and we need one guy stout enough to play the run.   

6’2” 220 is a normal linebacker size now. Deion Jones weighs 220. Darius Leonard says he plays at 220 or so. JOK is a little smaller even and he was everyone’s darling this draft cycle. Nasirildeen and Sherwood are very intriguing as roaming linebackers/box safeties. The Jets announced both players as LBs on social media. 

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I think we are on the hook till 2023 w covid opt out

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

No, after the season he can be cut with an $8 million dead hit but $9.5 million in savings. 

• Sympathy 1

I think Carter II is going to be blitzer because of his speed and smaller size, sherwood is too slow for nfl safety do he'll be another hybrid for saleh's schemes. We may have some very productive players drafted late.

Very excited to see this team in action

11 hours ago, PepPep said:

One of these two is sure to be the starting WILL.  The other will be the backup.  Both will be on the field depending on the alignment.  Both fit the bill as hybrid strong safety/linebacker types and are what Saleh likes to use in his matchup zone.  The way Saleh looks at it, every linebacker/safety/corner is a linebacker on running plays.  And every linebacker/safety/corner is a defensive back on passing plays. 

Strong Safety Jamiem Sherwood is 6' 2" 220 and carried a 4th round grade. While he was listed with the strong safeties, he is really a hybrid safety/linebacker.  He has rare physical traits with 34" arms and 10" hands and projects to WILL in the Saleh attacking scheme.  He is experienced in the box but also played well in pass defense.  Ourlads said he was "at his best in the box or as a tight quarters safety".  "Has linebacker like reactions getting downhill and uses his long arms to separate from blocks working to the ball."  "Tough to block in space" and has "solid tackling skill".  "His future may be as a hybrid/safety or situational linebacker to take advantage of what he excels at."   He is good at covering tight ends as he is rarely outmatched by strength or size.  Good special teams player.

Hamsah Nasirildeen is a strong safety who is 6' 3" 215 lbs and carries a 3d-round grade.  This versatile player can line up deep or in the box and is a candidate to be our starting WILL.  Ourlads said he is a sound "fundamental tackler" and is a "solid zone defender".   He has the ideal prototype with can't teach skills like his 34.5" arms and 10" hands.   He is a good candidate to wear the Green since he is a great fit and can fill several roles.  This is true whether we are in the 4-3-4 or the 4-2-5 or 4-1-6.    He is experienced on the coverage units.  I would be surprised if the Jets took him in the 3d since we have other pressing needs, but starting with pick 108 in the fourth watch for his name.  To my knowledge, he has not been linked to the Jets in pre-draft interviews.  I think the Jets got a steal here and I expect him to battle Sherwood for the job as the starting WILL.